Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying baby clothes

Options
  • 01-04-2021 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My wife is expecting our first in a couple of months and we are gathering the things we will need. It's not clear to me if anywhere is selling baby clothes - I know I can buy online but would like to see what I'm buying. Has anyone else had the same issue?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Dunnes and Tesco are definitely selling them in store.As are Boots (they do Mini club and stock some Mothercare now).I am not aware of anywhere else.M&S possibly, if there is one near you.Their baby stuff is decent quality.

It's an issue for everyone with kids btw.Online is sold out of a lot of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

blah wrote: »
    Hi,
    My wife is expecting our first in a couple of months and we are gathering the things we will need. It's not clear to me if anywhere is selling baby clothes - I know I can buy online but would like to see what I'm buying. Has anyone else had the same issue?

Thanks

Baby clothes are essential for newborns and they grow so quickly. Many shops have the baby shop open, like dunnes has the baby sections open definitely. I think Mark's and Tesco do too but can't confirm. In others if you ask they may give you access.

Advice skip the newborns stuff and go for 0-3months, some of the tiny stuff won't go near a full term baby.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

blah wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

Dunnes? Tesco? They'll have something, but limited stock. Online is really your best.

We bought most ours online, not sure why you wouldn't they look exactly like they look in the pictures. Next is great for newborns, though we do try limit somewhat how much we buy from there and try be a bit more local if/when we can. I'm sure next do returns if you don't fancy what they have on offer when it arrives, but we've had zero issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

Thanks all, I wanted to check before I went out looking. Also I rang Tesco and they confirmed they are selling baby clothes.

I looked at the gov.ie restrictions and I couldn't find which essential service covered baby clothes. Can't see it under retail.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/c9158-essential-services/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭onrail

We had a good stock of 'newborn' clothes which we soon discovered to be useless once our 9lb chunk arrived! Stock up on the 0-3 mths stuff

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Well, I have been in both Dunnes and Tesco of late and can confirm they are selling baby clothes. Our local Tesco has a limited stock although it's a smaller Tesco anyway. Dunnes definitely have them - they had decent enough stock as far as I could see about 2 weeks ago (I was buying older kid's stuff). I took a wander through Boots that day too for something else and their baby clothes were also available in store.

M&S I am not sure, they may be selling them if there is an M&S with a food store open in it. They might not be available if it is M&S with just clothes.

Pointers on quality/size (this is my personal opinion now) - Dunnes and Boots are small enough sizes, go 0-3 months for a newborn I would say. M&S do a 0-1 month size which I found brilliant for my 7 and 8lb babies. Their 0-3 months is quite big on a newborn. I find M&S quality really, really good personally. I do still buy the others but if I am buying vests and that, I tend to go for M&S as they get much longer out of them. Similar for Mothercare - big sizes and good quality for baby clothes, you can't go too far wrong buying some multi pack babygrows and vests online from both those shops. It isn't worth the hassle of a bad website buying from Dunnes online, easier to just go in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

Just to add I got a lot of stuff from George at Asda, they are reasonable and the quality is fab and there are no Brexit related charges.

My local tesco are have baby clothes on sale at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭uptheduffagain

+1 for George.com, they do great value multipack stuff like bodysuits/vests and sleepsuits, and their stuff washes really well. I get most of my baby clothes there.

Advertisement