Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diploma in Tax

Options
  • 27-03-2021 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all, has anyone done a Diploma in Tax in DBS, Irish taxation institute or Chartered accountants? What are your thoughts? Are lecturers any good? I am a chartered accountant myself and want to refresh my tax knowledge. Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,358 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I did the Diploma with the Irish Tax Institute and although I passed, it was primarily down to the ability to recall tax lectures from college. I didn't think the lectures were great to be honest and I still haven't received my diploma from them. Not worth the €2,100 it cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 yzx

I did the Diploma with the Irish Tax Institute and although I passed, it was primarily down to the ability to recall tax lectures from college. I didn't think the lectures were great to be honest and I still haven't received my diploma from them. Not worth the €2,100 it cost.

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

I done the same course. Overall it was pretty basic, but it was good as a refresher course. Which is what I wanted. €2,100 is worth it, once work covers it.

gudede wrote: »
    I done the same course. Overall it was pretty basic, but it was good as a refresher course. Which is what I wanted. €2,100 is worth it, once work covers it.
    Thank you! Do they cover how to do self employed taxes for different types of businesses?
    Can I ask why you chose this course over any other tax diplomas? I don't even know what to consider in choosing the right course.

yzx wrote: »
    Thank you! Do they cover how to do self employed taxes for different types of businesses?
    Can I ask why you chose this course over any other tax diplomas? I don't even know what to consider in choosing the right course.

I wanted to refresh my tax knowledge after I moved into a smaller practice.

The course covers IT, CT and CGT and is designed with a busy accountant in mind. Very flexible and assessment is based on three case scenarios.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

I did the Chartered Accountants one (4 years ago). I work in industry (financial controller) and wanted to update my tax knowledge. I thought some of the tax lecturers were very good and some were only okay. It covered everything I wanted to do so I'd recommend it. I think the assessment was two case studies.

They also do a Charted Tax Consultant which is more detailed.

jonnybravo wrote: »
    I did the Chartered Accountants one (4 years ago). I work in industry (financial controller) and wanted to update my tax knowledge. I thought some of the tax lecturers were very good and some were only okay. It covered everything I wanted to do so I'd recommend it. I think the assessment was two case studies.

They also do a Charted Tax Consultant which is more detailed.
    Thank you for your response! Is Sean Arthur lecturing in the Diploma? I thought he was very good from when I was doing my FAE exams.
    I know they are also doing CTC, but I am more inclined to do a Diploma only to refresh my tax knowledge.

I also have noticed that no one has responded about DBS course. Has anyone done it?

I wanted to refresh my tax knowledge after I moved into a smaller practice.

The course covers IT, CT and CGT and is designed with a busy accountant in mind. Very flexible and assessment is based on three case scenarios.

Thank you. Would you say the lecturers were good? How was the quality of recorded videos?

Thank you. Would you say the lecturers were good? How was the quality of recorded videos?

Lectures was good enough, one lecturer was dreadful though. They’re recorded so you can watch them when it suits.

What are you looking to achieve by doing a diploma tax course?

• Advertisement

Lectures was good enough, one lecturer was dreadful though. They’re recorded so you can watch them when it suits.

What are you looking to achieve by doing a diploma tax course?

I cooperate with the tax department in our company and I was hoping that refreshed tax knowledge would benefit me in reviewing their work. I also thought about possibly doing some freelance work in future.

I cooperate with the tax department in our company and I was hoping that refreshed tax knowledge would benefit me in reviewing their work. I also thought about possibly doing some freelance work in future.

You can’t go wrong with the Irish Tax institute course so. It gives the basics plus a bit more (I did learn stuff). I was delighted I did it and did help with the job. PM me if you need anymore details.

Advertisement