Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best podcast app

Options
  • 20-01-2021 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi all
    I am fairly new to podcasts and I'm wondering which boarders think is the best podcast app.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I like PocketCasts, have used it for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Amirani wrote: »
    I like PocketCasts, have used it for years.

I saw this thread and started looking at other apps. I've used PocketCasts for years too. I was wondering if there was anything better. It's impossible to evaluate when looking at the Google Play store without downloading and messing with lots of apps.

The features I like on PocketCasts are

Widget - I can access the app + play pause, skip forward / back from the hemiscreen all the time.

Trim silence - If there's a gap Pocketcast will cut it out.

Speed up - I listen to podcasts as 1.2X Speed.

Skip x seconds at the start - Some podcasts have an intro tune for up to a minute. If it's consistent you can set the app to start the podcast from any time skipping the start.

You can create an account and your podcast list will copy to a new device when you sign in there too.

So, do any of the other ones have similar or better features.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Another vote for PocketCasts on android, excellent app.

When i was searching for a good podcast app i downloaded a lot of them and although i wouldn't remember exactly what the other apps were missing, PocketCast had every feature i wanted and a few that were not on any other app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I use Pocketcasts too. I haven't tried any others in recent years, but I've never had a need to. One worry for the future though is the current owner (NPR) is trying to sell the app as it's losing them money.

Podcast Addict is not a bad free option either imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I use Spotify for my podcasts. It’s handy if you already have a Spotify account for music. I like the way you can search using keywords and also how it recommends other similar podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I use Pocketcasts too. I haven't tried any others in recent years, but I've never had a need to. One worry for the future though is the current owner (NPR) is trying to sell the app as it's losing them money.
    Oh no, I had no idea that consortium of podcast content creators bought it a few years ago. It's always a worry when a "best in show" app is hemorrhaging money and doesn't have stupid VC backing.

The move to a freemium product seemed like a misstep to me, or at least the way they split it up did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

glasso wrote: »
    Podcast Addict is not a bad free option either imo

This one works for me. They make fairly frequent improvements to it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭CWone

Thanks a mil everyone for your suggestions. Looking forward to trying them out. Once again thanks again much appreciated ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

I use Stitcher. Find it great. Listen to a few on Spotify that arent on Stitcher too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Google podcasts is class

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I use podcast republic (Android) it's pretty great. Has a driving layout if needed and a sleep timer.

Advertisement