Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warhammer: Total War

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Tony EH wrote: »
    Realm divide was silly. Chaos was annoying as fuck. Civil war in Rome, while also annoying (and eventually) boring made sense given the history. Either way none of those "solutions" to late game TW issues are satisfactory. As for diplomacy, I have never played a TW where I thought that it was good. So, for me, they are all just variations of bad. At least in Rome II, you could build meaningful alliances though. The worst thing about both Rome's is that you were always required to suck up to other nations to keep them on side, as it were. It was just a ticking clock before they ended up hating you for no reason.

They're not perfect by any stretch and I never said that they were. Rome is a game which is showing its age by having too few factions whereas Rome II has far too many.

Diplomacy has always been iffy in TW titles though I think Warhammer 2 does the best job of it.
    I've never played Crusader Kings. Might give that a go. But I have Attila there and I've never fired it up and I still have a Britannia campaign that I've yet to finish from 2 years ago. LOL

Crusader Kings 2 is now free to play. Some of the DLC is thought of as essential. Quill18 has a Youtube guide for the base game with no DLC if that helps. Definitely give it a go as it's a wonderful game.

Tried Sassanid and Western Rome campaigns in Attila. I think the game overdoes the gloomy tone but as I said, it's an update or two short of being truly great.

Thrones of Britannia was dreadful and why I never bought Three Kingdoms.
    I own the disks of Rome 1, which I bought before Steam was even a thing, so I suppose that doesn't count?

Steam version AFAIK but you get Rome: Total War gold edition with the remaster.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Out of the box Rome II wasn't great. But with mods it was a different game. I cannot imagine even bothering with it in its release state.

But the original Rome was just far too easy. The cavalry alone could wipe out any resistance.

The problem with both games, and TW in general, is that once the player gets to a certain level they can just romp around the map with impunity. So things like realm divide, civil war and Chaos get written into the game. It's a cheap alternative for the devs, but always one that pisses off the players.

If they're doing a complete overhaul of Rome, I might be interested. But if it's just "shiny" Rome. Then I'll not bother.

Plus, they're looking for $30 for it. :/
    I liked the solution in Alexander, the expansion to Rome 1. They leaned into the romo around with impunity, and gave you a time limit to conquer a large amount of territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Gameplay reveal for TWW3 next Thursday 13th May.

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1389942969189519360

• Registered Users Posts: 18,956 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^
    I know nothing about Warhammer, other than playing the TW games. But what is there left to do? Is it just not a case of rehashing with different factions now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

^
    I know nothing about Warhammer, other than playing the TW games. But what is there left to do? Is it just not a case of rehashing with different factions now?

In what sense?

One could probably boil any TW sequel down to that.

There's certainly no story to be told, but that was true of games 1 and 2 as well. It's all a bit makey uppey and about making an excuse to stuff all the particular characters and factions together at a single moment.

The main things to look forward to in this are the new factions (including some brand new ones that didn't exist in Warhammer before, or if they did, were barely fleshed out), and more and more polish.

The games have a lot of novel features that you can't really have in historical games - monsters, superpowered lords, magic and such. But that all came at the cost of some other features. Diplomacy, economy, siege warfare and a few other bits and bobs need big updates. We won't get them all at launch, but sieges seem to be a big one they've focused on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,956 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Gbear wrote: »
    In what sense?

One could probably boil any TW sequel down to that.

Well, that's kinda true to a degree. But, having played Warhammer 1 and then Warhammer 2, at first glance I am unsure what the point is in Wahammer 3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Well, that's kinda true to a degree. But, having played Warhammer 1 and then Warhammer 2, at first glance I am unsure what the point is in Wahammer 3.

In terms of story, Warhammer is basically WWE-grade fantasy. Nothing wrong with it but these games are ultimately somewhat arcadey strategy games. The second title was a lot more polished than the first so I expect improvements in the third game. I'm also very much looking forward to the new factions and units, especially Chaos which are woefully underdeveloped and have been since WH1's launch.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Read there a streamer basically confirmed they have been playing WH3, was asked on stream if they were excited for the gameplay reveal and answered "I can say anything about it" or words to those meaning. Tallies with the early access streamers were given to the last expansion where there was a period they were able to talk about the patch updates in a very factual way but weren't allowed give any opinions on it, i.e. say they thought the change was good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Christy42

Read there a streamer basically confirmed they have been playing WH3, was asked on stream if they were excited for the gameplay reveal and answered "I can say anything about it" or words to those meaning. Tallies with the early access streamers were given to the last expansion where there was a period they were able to talk about the patch updates in a very factual way but weren't allowed give any opinions on it, i.e. say they thought the change was good or bad.

Possibly didn't feel comfortable giving an opinion with the little they have seen. I know one streamer gave an opinion on what they had played (a strong 8/10 in their opinion). However he knows little about the game as a whole but got to play for about 3 hours.

NDAs for the amount they do know lift on the 13th so expect a load of videos that day.

• Advertisement

Christy42 wrote: »
    Possibly didn't feel comfortable giving an opinion with the little they have seen. I know one streamer gave an opinion on what they had played (a strong 8/10 in their opinion). However he knows little about the game as a whole but got to play for about 3 hours.

NDAs for the amount they do know lift on the 13th so expect a load of videos that day.

Wasn't asked on stream for an opinion, was just asked if they were excited. As I am for the gameplay reveal and whatever streamers have to show :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Christy42

Wasn't asked on stream for an opinion, was just asked if they were excited. As I am for the gameplay reveal and whatever streamers have to show :D

I am not sure then why they said it then. From others it seems they are allowed voice their opinions. Indeed you would want them to since they are likely to be chosen because they are enthusiastic about total war.

Indeed. I will spend a lot of the 13th going through a fair few Total War Channels to see what they have. One of the advantages of work from home:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭blackwave

Latest trailer released a day early. Getting very excited for this now.

Looks like we get to see more:

H. H. Asquith

Looks good, they also confirmed this is not a common battle in the game and that minor settlement battles are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I kinda like that tower defence twist, but yeah, I wouldn't like to play it too often in the grand campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Looks good, they also confirmed this is not a common battle in the game and that minor settlement battles are back.

Dear god I hope they fix siege battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I kinda like that tower defence twist, but yeah, I wouldn't like to play it too often in the grand campaign.

From the sounds of it they are only the "final" battle against each of the main 4 Chaos powers. And this is still only the main TW3 campaign; Mortal Empires might not feature them at all.

Zerkovich did a good rundown of some of the newer features from his gameplay thats not being highlighted as much. Main one seems to be a "Wounded" feature for single entity units(Lords, Heroes, Large beasts) that triggers once they drop below 50% health, lowering their speed/damage/armour......some speculating its a way to reduce the effect of Hero or huge beast doomstacks. Like when you are left fighting a LegLord after trudging through their army but just cant whittle them down (once sent 8 Forest Dragons against Louen at around lvl 20....he ate all of them!)

TWW3 is 20% off on Fanatical at the moment. It's all official keys, just bought it and got the key right away.

Twitch stream tomorrow at 6pm with WH2 and 3 news so can only assume the final DLC will be revealed for TWW2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Aye, wonder who it will be (assuming its one final "vs pack"). Maybe Beastmen will get some love for once :D

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Aye, wonder who it will be (assuming its one final "vs pack"). Maybe Beastmen will get some love for once :D

Beastmen vs Lizards, didn't see Lizards coming. I think they could do with an overhaul, beyond Cult of Sotek they have good units but really ordinary mechanics.

Beastmen is the only DLC I don't have so guess I'm going to have to get it now, sigh.

Beastmen vs Lizards, didn't see Lizards coming. I think they could do with an overhaul, beyond Cult of Sotek they have good units but really ordinary mechanics.

Beastmen is the only DLC I don't have so guess I'm going to have to get it now, sigh.

Hopefully the Geomantic Web gets an update. It has potential as a concept but it's pretty 1-dimensional at the moment.

They've added a bunch of new systems for local and factionwide buffs, dilemmas, teleportation, and all sorts since the game was first released.

Really, if they fiddled with that a bit I'd be happy enough.

I'd like to be able to actually play a Beastman campaign, but them and Chaos are unplayable in the current state. SFO makes them better, but it's not perfect.

H. H. Asquith

From what's been revealed so far we can make a few inferences about how the Chaos daemon rosters are going to shape up.

They're making a number of variants on Khornate lesser daemons - Bloodletters and Exalted Bloodletters, from what we currently know. One would assume they're going to do similar where possible for the other factions - Daemonettes and Exalted Daemonettes, Plaguebearers and Exalted Plaguebearers, etc.

They're including cross-species god-aligned creatures in the Daemons roster - Khornate Minotaurs in this case. Again, one would imagine they'll have the minotaurs with each Mark of Chaos. It also means that other Beastmen and perhaps Norscan units will also make it into the rosters at some stage. Pestigors, marked Chaos Marauders, Trolls, etc.

They're including reskinned standard units from across the game - reskinned warhounds. All 4 gods will probably have a hound variant. There's also Chaos Spawn of Khorne revealed, and Furies of Khorne, so perhaps we'll also see something like Manticores, and maybe Chimerae further down the line.

They have one confirmed hero that isn't a Herald of Khorne, a Bloodreaper. There's also a mortal hero of some kind, which'll probably be reskin of the existing Chaos Warriors combat hero (and the 3 other gods will presumably get the sorceror as well). That might mean the Heralds are DLC, but starting with all 3 types seems plausible. At any rate, it also suggests an additional hero type for all 4 gods.

They're using Greater Daemons as monstrous single entity units, and Exalted Greater Daemons as Lords.

Skarbrand is leading Khorne. Given that all greater daemons are going to be in each faction on launch, one would imagine that each of the other factions will be led by their respective senior Greater Daemon - N'Kari for Slaanesh, Kairos Fateweaver for Tzeentch and Kugath Plaguefather for Nurgle. Not surprising, but I thought that given that Skarbrand wasn't in the original trailer with Katarin they might go with a differnent one, like Ka'Bandha.

I was wondering how they were going to fill the rosters, but it seems like they're not having too much trouble with it, and they'll be just as deep as other launch races.

Well, I thought I'd try Lizardmen for the first time today. Picked Kroq-Gar and had a lot of fun before the AI sent 6 Greenskin armies at me a few dozen turns in. Eurgh.

H. H. Asquith

Slightly underwhelming roster reveal for Kislev today.

Only mount options are horse and bear, which all character units have.
    No unique mounts for Katarin or Kostaltyn.
    It's also the smallest roster on launch of any race in the game.
    No bear variants in the roster, other than those pulling sleds/artillery, which is a bit surprising.

To be fair, there's going to be more races on launch than the other games, so the total number of units available will probably be similar, if not better in WH3, but it leaves Kislev (and presumably all the other races) feeling a bit anemic on launch.

Was just going to post that!

I daresay there'll be DLC before too long to flesh things out.

H. H. Asquith

Was just going to post that!

I daresay there'll be DLC before too long to flesh things out.

I would imagine that Kislev and Cathay will get the first and second DLCs and FLCs respectively, probably alongside Khorne and Tzeentch.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    I would imagine that Kislev and Cathay will get the first and second DLCs and FLCs respectively, probably alongside Khorne and Tzeentch.

Oh, I don't know the lore at all. Have you preordered the game?

I was expecting the trailer for the new DLC to have dropped by now. Wonder what's going on there. Probably don't want to damage the hype over WH3.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement