Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games for a 5-year-old on PS4/PS5

Options
  • 10-03-2021 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Greetings,

Could anyone please recommend any games on the PS4/PS5 that would be suitable for a 5-year-old boy? He caught me playing a couple of times and eagerly wanted to try it out himself. I did let him move/drive around a bit in some safe, non-explicit areas of the Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077, and I can confirm he is comfortable with the controller, so I guess he is ready for his first "proper" gaming experience. Thing is, I am not really sure what's out there that would be suitable.

I had a look at some of the lists on-line, and some of the more interesting options include Overcooked, Sackboy Adventures, Tearaway Unfolded and Snake Pass. However, I would prefer an actual, real-life opinion of a parent in terms of content and gameplay suitability, so I would be grateful for any input regarding the above-mentioned or other games.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

Qboot wrote: »
    Greetings,

Could anyone please recommend any games on the PS4/PS5 that would be suitable for a 5-year-old boy? He caught me playing a couple of times and eagerly wanted to try it out himself. I did let him move/drive around a bit in some safe, non-explicit areas of the Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077, and I can confirm he is comfortable with the controller, so I guess he is ready for his first "proper" gaming experience. Thing is, I am not really sure what's out there that would be suitable.

I had a look at some of the lists on-line, and some of the more interesting options include Overcooked, Sackboy Adventures, Tearaway Unfolded and Snake Pass. However, I would prefer an actual, real-life opinion of a parent in terms of content and gameplay suitability, so I would be grateful for any input regarding the above-mentioned or other games.

Thank you!

Ratchet and Clank is a free download for now.

Minecraft and the Lego games are good options.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Terminator

I'd second the Minecraft and Lego games suggestion above. Also there are Sega and Capcom classic collections that have tons of retro games.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

Forgot to add, Rayman Legends is brilliant, it's actually the 1st game I bought for the kids here.

There are lots of Lego games so will depend what your fella is into, star wars, superheroes, Harry potter, etc. One Lego game I'd defo get is Lego city undercover, basically GTA for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

My lads (5 & 6) love Goat Simulator and Dreams. There are tons of fan made games in Dreams (age ratings provided in game to make the choice easy).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Lego games are what my two middle kids started with. Minecraft isn't bad but there are a number of features that they are looking for now to play with their friends cross platform which have been headaches.

My 3yr old loves running around in Crash Bandicoot so I must try her on ratchet and clank where she'd have more freedom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Qboot

Thanks everyone! All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I think I'll keep him away from Minecraft and LEGO games, but I am definitely interested in showing him the Goat Simulator and Dreams. I think I'll give the former a go first ;)

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Hi OP - I just read back and almost every reply seemed to recommend Lego games - In our house my Son loved them and played every one of them to death before eventually outgrowing them.

I'm not judging your parental decisions - Just got mildly curious as to why you seem determined to avoid them?

I'd struggle to see the potential for any harm in Minecraft also (?)

* Must go now - It's time for me to drop 200 cigarettes into my young fella in The 'Joy, he's on a 15-20 year stretch......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Little Big Planet is another good one but might get tricky depending on how savvy your 5 year old is.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Any of the Lego games are good. Spyro. Ratchet & Clank.

Basically my entire playlist.

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Hi OP - I just read back and almost every reply seemed to recommend Lego games - In our house my Son loved them and played every one of them to death before eventually outgrowing them.

I'm not judging your parental decisions - Just got mildly curious as to why you seem determined to avoid them?

I'd struggle to see the potential for any harm in Minecraft also (?)

* Must go now - It's time for me to drop 200 cigarettes into my young fella in The 'Joy, he's on a 15-20 year stretch......

Hi Mango,

My earlier post was supposed to read that I'll keep him away from those games "for now" :)

I want to start him on something easier. I will probably move on to LEGO later on.

Thanks for your input!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,854 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If on PS5, would you try Astro Bot?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    If on PS5, would you try Astro Bot?

I actually played it last night and thought that I would have to show it him. It's fun. Even for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 emanresu123

When/if you try some Lego games I'd recommend Lego City.

Oh and Disney Infinity? CEX is probs the best place to get it and the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Arthur45

Nintendo is better for child games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

my 4 year old loves the hello neighbor series of games - its a bit complicated for him so we spend time playing together and when we get stuck we watch youtube how to videos. its a great way for us to spend quality time together doing something he enjoys and i enjoy.

he also plays the 2 retro nintendos and loves them, worth the 40 or 50 quid i spent on them both - bought for me of course but he loves them. Especially the nintendo over the super nintendo - graphics are poor but he loves it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 We love you arsenal2002202

Do they like cars? Any driving game would be great if they do.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will definitely look into some of the options.
    Arthur45 wrote: »
    Nintendo is better for child games

I agree. Unfortunately, I do not own a Nintendo system and do not plan on purchasing one for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

Untitled Goose game, I think it's €20 on the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lisij

Qboot wrote: »
    I actually played it last night and thought that I would have to show it him. It's fun. Even for me :)

Astro 100%, my 6y cant get enough of it, completed the game 3 times already, platinum achievement. Still restarts the game from scratch and starts all over. Want to introduce to something else, tried “dreams”, nope too much for her, tried “fall guys”, wasn’t impressed as Astro. Im stuck now to on what to offer next. Dont see that she will be in any interest for lego games. Ratchet might be too much action, sack boy maybe

lisij wrote: »
    Astro 100%, my 6y cant get enough of it, completed the game 3 times already, platinum achievement. Still restarts the game from scratch and starts all over. Want to introduce to something else, tried “dreams”, nope too much for her, tried “fall guys”, wasn’t impressed as Astro. Im stuck now to on what to offer next. Dont see that she will be in any interest for lego games. Ratchet might be too much action, sack boy maybe

I eventually showed him Astro as well. He loved it and couldn't get enough too.

I also purchased Dreams and downloaded Ratchet and Clank. So I think we're good for the time being.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

LocoRoco is good, easy to learn for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kasparinho23

You could do games like crash bandicoot, spyro, rachet and clank those are all simple and fun games that any kid would enjoy

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I got Crash for the kids. Went to show them how to play it. I can't work him. Stuck. Neither can they. Never played. But we have 7 lego games here, it's not missed.

Advertisement