Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ Investigates: Ireland's Illegal Adoptions

Options
  • 04-03-2021 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭

I have yet to watch it so unfortunately cant comment yet, but the Irish times verdict is damning
    And so while the wrongdoings chronicled in RTÉ Investigates: Ireland’s Illegal Adoptions (RTÉ One, Wednesday, 9.35pm) are obviously heinous, the documentary ultimately lands with a predictable thud. Of course, religious institutions facilitated illegal adoptions. And yes, obviously, the State was complicit in what was essentially a child-laundering conspiracy on an industrial scale. Have the now grown-up victims received justice? What do you think?

The sheer scale of the scandal documented in Aoife Hegarty’s report is hard to take in over the span of a single sitting. Indeed, if this otherwise peerless film has a flaw, it is that it might have been better served by airing in instalments.

"I’ve seen dogs that were purchased and the people selling the dogs being more concerned about how the dog was doing than the nuns were"
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/i-don-t-even-know-when-i-was-born-scale-of-illegal-adoption-is-hard-to-take-in-1.4500116

The Tv programme
    https://www.rte.ie/player/movie/rt%C3%A9-investigates-ireland-s-illegal-adoptions/186751528264

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

For me the one thing last nights RTE Investigates did was demonstrate unambiguously that the reason we are not being given access to our information has nothing to do with GDPR or Statute or concern for birth mothers right to privacy and instead it's all about trying to cover up the child trafficking that was once rife within the adoption industry in this country and the powerful and influential people who facilitated it.

But it stands to reason because there's no other worldly reason why you would deny someone the most basic right - the right to know who they are and where they came from.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement