Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

hardybuck wrote: »

Sheedy's background as an underage coach, and standing in the game, probably gives clubs the confidence that they can send talented young lads to him for development. Mike Newell has obviously huge standing in the game also.

Only one of them put the ball in the English net

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

In the last few days Waterford have secured:

- Jamie Mascoll on loan from Bolton (left back)
    - James Waite on loan from Cardiff (midfielder)
    - Cian Kavanagh (ex-UCD, Shelbourne, Shamrock Rovers & Wexford)
    - Adam O'Reilly on loan from Preston (striker)
    - Cameron Evans on loan from Swansea (defender)

As they did last year, they seem to have no trouble in hoovering up young lads on loan or on free transfers from the UK at short notice.

Sheedy's background as an underage coach, and standing in the game, probably gives clubs the confidence that they can send talented young lads to him for development. Mike Newell has obviously huge standing in the game also.

Different Cian Kavanagh. 19-year-old who was with St Pats underage. Id expect more UK arrivals with Sheedy and Newell's contacts in the UK. Non league football season being cancelled may help also. They will probably put together a decent team. English u23 leagues are a good standard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Peak6 would not be independant....they own DundalkFC as you well know. Personally, I feel it should be a company/management board with absolutely no connections to Irish football, its clubs or their owners. Only then will you force change and improvement within the LOI.
    Maybe the government would finance it instead of pumping money into the bottomless pit called the FAI, insist that every football game played at the Aviva means X amount being paid to the LOI....many ways of financing it if people really want it. The big problem is that the many clubs and FAI are still a mates club...scratching each others backs to ensure they sit tight.

That’s an idea......a % of the gate and tv money from all internationals allocated to the league. Wouldn’t have to be great to be better than 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

It's such a bizarre appointment, in the sense it's his first foray into management and he's in his 60s now (I think). But, he's a massive name and likewise Newell. From Waterford's point of view it will give them access to a large pool of talent in the UK, as you mentioned, especially since the non-leagues are cancelled there.

Could be an interesting season for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

It's such a bizarre appointment, in the sense it's his first foray into management and he's in his 60s now (I think). But, he's a massive name and likewise Newell. From Waterford's point of view it will give them access to a large pool of talent in the UK, as you mentioned, especially since the non-leagues are cancelled there.

Could be an interesting season for Waterford.

It's a surprising appointment rather than bizarre one I think. Sheedy has buckets of coaching experience, Newell has buckets of managerial experience, but nobody would have expected it alright.

It probably highlights that there's lots of guys in the UK who might like to take a managerial job if they got the opportunity, particularly ex-players from that era who need to top up the pension fund a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

In the last few days Waterford have secured:

- Jamie Mascoll on loan from Bolton (left back)
    - James Waite on loan from Cardiff (midfielder)
    - Cian Kavanagh (ex-UCD, Shelbourne, Shamrock Rovers & Wexford)
    - Adam O'Reilly on loan from Preston (striker)
    - Cameron Evans on loan from Swansea (defender)

As they did last year, they seem to have no trouble in hoovering up young lads on loan or on free transfers from the UK at short notice.

Is there a limit on the amount of loan signings that can be involved in a match day squad? I know there is in English football but no idea if we have the same set up

srfc d16 wrote: »
    Is there a limit on the amount of loan signings that can be involved in a match day squad? I know there is in English football but no idea if we have the same set up

I saw something last year where FIFA had plans to limit loans to a max of 8, which would apply to international loans at first, and players 22 and over.

Not sure about the FAI, but I think it's generally accepted that loans are an important aspect of youth development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

We've signed Nahum Melvin-Lambert on loan from Reading. A striker who has a decent record for their under-23s apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

joeysoap wrote: »
    That’s an idea......a % of the gate and tv money from all internationals allocated to the league. Wouldn’t have to be great to be better than 0.
    But it's not 0 now, the league is bundled with the international team already. It gets €250,000 in TV money from RTE plus a lower 6 figure sum from Eir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

But it's not 0 now, the league is bundled with the international team already. It gets €250,000 in TV money from RTE plus a lower 6 figure sum from Eir.

Are you sure about that? I know the packages are sold together but I have never seen any information that the League gets a cut of the money. It was said previously that RTE were paying less for the package than they were willing to pay for international games on their own. They didn't want to carry the LOI games and the FAI made them take the games for exposure in return for a lower overall fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

kksaints wrote: »
    We've signed Nahum Melvin-Lambert on loan from Reading. A striker who has a decent record for their under-23s apparently.

Just me or are there more of these types of signings than usual this year? PL2 would be a decent standard I feel. I can't remember many coming on loan from that level last year.

Sligo Rovers were also linked on Twitter last week to West Brom's Jamie Soule who has a very good scoring record at that level.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Just me or are there more of these types of signings than usual this year? PL2 would be a decent standard I feel. I can't remember many coming on loan from that level last year.

Sligo Rovers were also linked on Twitter last week to West Brom's Jamie Soule who has a very good scoring record at that level.

There's a few more alright. He's our third loan signing. Waterford have a decent number also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Richie Towell joining Rovers in July. Great signing. No doubt Rovers went in twice as hard for him when McEneff left for Hearts.

https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan/status/1364976780277395457

The Fai or the clubs? I thought the clubs got 0.?

Richie Towell joining Rovers in July. Great signing. No doubt Rovers went in twice as hard for him when McEneff left for Hearts.

You might as well put money on any Platinum One represented player going to Shams.

Next up: James McClean in a few years.

Tough one for Towell. It's unclear if Dundalk moved for him, or how serious their offer was if he did.

He's gone to the best team in the league, and they look like a much more stable employer for the moment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Oat23 wrote: »
    Next up: James McClean in a few years.

He's always said he'd like to retire at Derry. Not sure if this will ever actually happen but it'd be great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

irish_goat wrote: »
    He's always said he'd like to retire at Derry. Not sure if this will ever actually happen but it'd be great to see.

That's a huge blow for Dundalk. Gutted. Really need Stanton to turn out to be a player now

The Fai or the clubs? I thought the clubs got 0.?
    The clubs, its pooled into the prize money for the league and cup with about 300k from Airtricity.

most ex Dundalk players

Pats: O’Donnell, Mountney, Benson

Rovers: Gannon, Hoare, Towell and Finn

I know that Gannon and Finn are ex Rovers

I never saw so many ‘loan’ players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭eire4

irish_goat wrote: »

Assuming he has managed the money he has made in his professional career to date well enough he should be in a position to go to finish his playing career at Derry City if he wants to as what he would be paid would be pretty much irrelevant.

Both teams from dundalks europa league group through to last 16. maybe someday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Ensley Fit Memento

I saw something last year where FIFA had plans to limit loans to a max of 8, which would apply to international loans at first, and players 22 and over.

Not sure about the FAI, but I think it's generally accepted that loans are an important aspect of youth development.

Loans out basically not loans in, i think that rule relates to and you can only loan i believe only 8 over 21's to stop Chelsea/Atalanta/Juventus and other italian clubs (who dont have a reserve league)

Not sure if any truth:
    Towell cost 500 k and €3,000 a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

The FAI gave LOI money....think you should go back and research that one. They earned a low 6 digit figure every season off the LOI for years claiming it was making a loss. They certainly never shared TV or gate money from internationals with clubs, in fact I would stick my neck out and claim they spent more JDs credit card bills than on the LOI.

Not sure if any truth:
    Towell cost 500 k and €3,000 a week

Definitely BS.
    He's out of contract in the summer so why would there be a fee?

Wages mightn't a million miles off though. Something similar was on the table for Byrne and with McEneffs wages gone + 200k there's room for a big earner there.

Presumably the wage cap in L1 & L2 is putting the squeeze on clubs at that level and he knows turning 30 this summer he won't get a Championship contract.

The FAI gave LOI money....think you should go back and research that one. They earned a low 6 digit figure every season off the LOI for years claiming it was making a loss. They certainly never shared TV or gate money from internationals with clubs, in fact I would stick my neck out and claim they spent more JDs credit card bills than on the LOI.

"Similarly, the contract with main broadcast partner RTÉ also includes the rights for two senior international friendlies and women's international matches so clubs are now working off the belief that the value of the LOI element also comes in at around €250,000. Eir Sport pay a smaller six-figure sum for the rights to show games" as per Daniel McDonnell.

Definitely BS.

Wages mightn't a million miles off though. Something similar was on the table for Byrne and with McEneffs wages gone + 200k there's room for a big earner there.

Presumably the wage cap in L1 & L2 is putting the squeeze on clubs at that level and he knows turning 30 this summer he won't get a Championship contract.

If he was a super player and they wanted him he would not be coming home, he would be signing a new contract. A good player but a few bad injuries and a few years older than he was before he left these shores. All the same I think he will offer something if he can stay fit.

Definitely BS.

I don't for a second believe they paid a €500k fee but I wouldn't be surprised if P1 demanded a sizable signing bonus to secure his signature for Shams.

• Advertisement

I never heard of clubs getting

A) money from internationals

B) any payment not related to prize money ( and that's mickey mouse)

Deleted

I never heard of clubs getting

A) money from internationals

B) any payment not related to prize money ( and that's mickey mouse)

Never heard of any of this either. What's always happened is the LOI live TV matches are tied into the international deal.

RTE get the international teams games and show LOI out of that obligation.

Sky are hamstrung into a similar arrangement with the Northern Ireland International team and the NIFL. Similarly to RTE they would wash their hands of the NIFL if they could.

"Similarly, the contract with main broadcast partner RTÉ also includes the rights for two senior international friendlies and women's international matches so clubs are now working off the belief that the value of the LOI element also comes in at around €250,000. Eir Sport pay a smaller six-figure sum for the rights to show games" as per Daniel McDonnell.

If the FAI were dishing out the money to LOI clubs they would have known about it and it wouldnt take a leaving cert student to calculate what the total was, then they wouldnt have to assume or believe. They are working off the belief (that statement was made after JD left office) because they accepted for years that there was no TV money, didnt JD claim RTE wanted money to show LOI games. The FAI were pocketing it and claiming they were subsidising everything, LOI clubs said nothing and accepted it. Some felt they couldnt do anything, some were held to ransom by the FAI due to moneies owed / licencing and others kept quiet because they were benifiting from it and were friends with the men orcastrating it.

https://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fai-announces-new-broadcast-deals

Details of the new LOI broadcasting deals. The LOITV options seems very interesting. Delighted that WATCHLOI is returning.

If the FAI were dishing out the money to LOI clubs they would have known about it and it wouldnt take a leaving cert student to calculate what the total was, then they wouldnt have to assume or believe. They are working off the belief (that statement was made after JD left office) because they accepted for years that there was no TV money, didnt JD claim RTE wanted money to show LOI games. The FAI were pocketing it and claiming they were subsidising everything, LOI clubs said nothing and accepted it. Some felt they couldnt do anything, some were held to ransom by the FAI due to moneies owed / licencing and others kept quiet because they were benifiting from it and were friends with the men orcastrating it.

I think what JD claimed was RTE put €2 million on the table to be left alone about the LOI and just be left to show the international games. Considering the amount broadcasting live LOI costs with camera men, pundits, production, airtime ++ €2 million probably would have saved them money in the long run.
    They don't want to be involved in it, the same way Eir don't really value it either. It's filler for both, one out of obligation the other to prop up a TV station who's main role is to sell broadband.

• Advertisement

FAI confirm new RTÉ deal and introduce second streaming to showcase SSE Airtricity League

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0225/1199369-fai-confirm-new-rte-deal-and-introduce-more-streaming/
    The new broadcast deal with RTÉ Sport will see over 50 Premier Division matches broadcast live on RTE television and WATCHLOI up until the mid-season break in June.

Full details on pricing and season passes for WATCHLOI will be announced in due course.

RTÉ Sport will cover all production costs with all profits from the platform set to go straight to the Premier Division clubs.

In the SSE Airtricity First Division and Women's National League, the FAI will launch a new streaming platform, LOITV. It will stream all matches across the two divisions with Pixellot cameras set to be installed in every ground to stream all matches in the 2021 season.

The Pixellot system uses artificial intelligence with HD cameras to deliver a top-quality viewing experience with the cameras used in many leagues across the world.

Pricing details for the LOITV season pass are set to be announced in due course with all revenue generated set to go to the clubs.

First TV games also announced in FAI press release.
    Friday Night Football coverage on RTE commences with the SSE Airtricity Premier Division game between Shamrock Rovers and St. Patrick's Athletic on Friday, March 19, followed by Waterford v Sligo Rovers on Friday, March 26 and Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk on April 2.

I think what JD claimed was RTE put €2 million on the table to be left alone about the LOI and just be left to show the international games. Considering the amount broadcasting live LOI costs with camera men, pundits, production, airtime ++ €2 million probably would have saved them money in the long run.
    They don't want to be involved in it, the same way Eir don't really value it either. It's filler for both, one out of obligation the other to prop up a TV station who's main role is to sell broadband.

Even more reason for the FAI / LOI to follow advice they received this time last year and tell RTE and co to take a run and jump. It is time for them to seriously market WatchLOI or whatever they want to call it.

If they price it at €150 per season, paid up front or in 2/4 installments and can match the 11k viewers from last season......€1,650,000 turnover. RTE (with inflated prices) claimed a half season last year cost them €350k so lets assume a full season will cost €700k. Still a nice wedge left for clubs to share and build on. Certainly better than what they were getting before JDs fall.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

kksaints wrote: »
    https://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fai-announces-new-broadcast-deals

Details of the new LOI broadcasting deals. The LOITV options seems very interesting. Delighted that WATCHLOI is returning.

Delighted it's back and I'd encourage all fans to sign up. Would be great to have this even with fans back for watching away games and rivals games.

I know some people resorted to dodgy streams last year and while that's fine for pl games if people do it for our games there will be no dodgy streams because their will be no proper streams to pirate

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Presumably the wage cap in L1 & L2 is putting the squeeze on clubs at that level

The EFL is collectively £100-200m in debt, so there's lots of squeezing going on. They're all haemorrhaging money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

dfx- wrote: »
    The EFL is collectively £100-200m in debt, so there's lots of squeezing going on. They're all haemorrhaging money.

Wasnt the wage cap thing scrapped too?

Digested to see streaming available, will sign up for the LOITV Okeford sure

• Advertisement

Am I missing something here

11,000 subscribers (+ 6000 season ticket holders) @€;55 is over the RTÉ costs?

just read the deal. 50 matches. Will clubs be allowed to stream their matchds if they're not on watchloi?

Am I missing something here

11,000 subscribers (+ 6000 season ticket holders) @€;55 is over the RTÉ costs?

just read the deal. 50 matches. Will clubs be allowed to stream their matchds if they're not on watchloi?

4,700 bought season passes for €55.
    The rest bought a game pass here and there for a fiver.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Bohs Dundalk on Dundalk's YouTube at 12pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The deal (which they say is 60+ games up to the break) probably makes it sound like a lot more games will be on RTE than it seems.
    The vast vast majority will be on the Watch LOI service.
    It seems like they'll show a game every Friday night up until the summer break, which is 11 games.

Tbf if they maintain one game per match week on RTE for the season I'd be happy enough. Between that and a Watch LOI fans will have access to the majority of not all games and the automated service for the First Division and Women's League is a great idea.

Nice to have a bit of positive news for once.

For those wondering about all the loan signings of young players from England. All Non League Divisions bar the top one (National League) have been cancelled and even the National League was in doubt until a few days ago.
    Hence clubs looking for other avenues for young players to gain experience.

Bohs kit more like the Dundalk and Dundalk kit more like bohs kit

Mushy wrote: »
    Wasnt the wage cap thing scrapped too?

Scrapped after a successful legal challenge from the player's union, which brought mixed reactions from owners.

They restricted League 2 spending to €1.71m per year. If you had a squad of 22 players that'd be an average annual salary of around €78k per player, of €1,500 per week, which seems very reasonable.

However a leaked report in 2020 indicated that the average League 2 salary was €2,500 per week - or around €130k per year. Added to this you had clubs like Salford coming in and paying the likes of Towell and Rooney championship salaries.

I don't know how much the likes of Rovers and Dundalk are paying guys, but I'm surprised we don't have more players moving to League 2 clubs - as the standard seems to be fairly even.

Bohs kit more like the Dundalk and Dundalk kit more like bohs kit

Isnt it great to see young O´Kane on the pitch from the start.

100% sloggetts fault.well taken

Isnt it great to see young O´Kane on the pitch from the start.

Yes it is. 3 year contract too. Only 17.

100% sloggetts fault.well taken

Hate saying it but Sloggett looks the odd one out.

Yes it is. 3 year contract too. Only 17.
    Peak6 only do 1 year deals :D:p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement