Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support for when starting a new business

Options
  • 02-04-2021 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I have relocated west from Dublin and my girlfriend has had to leave her job in Dublin and is going to set up a business where we are now. While she will be hopefully getting work from this, it may not be enough at the beginning.

I am wondering if there is government supports available to her while her business is growing? In the form of a weekly type payment? She has organized a meeting with the local enterprise board but waiting to hear back about an appointment.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BenvanNiekerk

Hi there.

There is a trove of supports for new businesses, however, there are a few hoops to jump through.

If you read through all these, you would get a good idea of what you can expect: https://www.localenterprise.ie/Discover-Business-Supports/Financial-Supports/

LEO might also allocate a business coach to your girlfriend, and they have a wealth of knowledge and can point you to ever more resources.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭JohnRock

I would recommend talking to a LEO mentor. When I went the fee was only €20. I would recommend Joe Fernandez

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭MouseMan01

Darrenon91 wrote: »
    Hi all,

My girlfriend and I have relocated west from Dublin and my girlfriend has had to leave her job in Dublin and is going to set up a business where we are now. While she will be hopefully getting work from this, it may not be enough at the beginning.

I am wondering if there is government supports available to her while her business is growing? In the form of a weekly type payment? She has organized a meeting with the local enterprise board but waiting to hear back about an appointment.

Thanks in advance.

Support from the Local Enterprise Office comes in three flavours.

1. Advice clinics: one-to-one mentoring with a business person. Try to find one that has some experience in your niche.

2. Financial supports: since most new businesses don't last more than the first year, or less. Support tends to kick in around the 6 month mark. Eg the Trading Online Voucher Scheme is for businesses that have been trading for at least 6 months.

3. Ongoing Training: Facebook, Twitter, Business Account training.

Get to know your local LEO and hit them up for all 3 forms of training if you can.

Best of luck.

Advertisement