Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost grandfather

Options
  • 01-07-2014 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has ever used a genealogist to help find just one person? I still cant find any info which tells me that my grandfather is dead or alive so I think its time I got someone to help me. Any suggestions? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What genealogical details are you missing on him? If you think he may still be alive, a private investigator is more likely to find them than a genealogist realistically. All you're going to get from genealogy is civil certs if they're in Ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Have you considered a personal ad in the newspaper? If he's still alive, he's probably a newspaper reading age.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Elizabetha

Very good pinkypinky..... Or someone who knew him could see it I suppose

MYOB... There isnt death cert here or in the UK even though his sister has told me he died whilst living in Clontarf

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You have as good a chance finding that as a pro.

• Advertisement

MYOB .... Do You mean Ive no hope? Ive been searching a year now

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

Have tried contacting the churchs in clontarf. If he died they might have a record or if he's alive they may actually know. Might he be in a nursing home? Do you have a possible address in clontarf

Tyview I tried the church records but no joy. I dont have an address either

Elizabetha wrote: »
    MYOB .... Do You mean Ive no hope? Ive been searching a year now

No. You may have to wait though.

Currently the indices online for deaths go to 1958 (here) and about 1969 (GB FreeBMD) When the better GRO indexes are released imminently they may go somewhat newer - no guarantee of that yet. FreeBMD is also advancing progressively, they intend to go to 1983 at least eventually.

There's no better resources that a professional would have that you don't in this case. Without knowing where and when he died you can't narrow down coverage enough to do a specific search.

You may also want to check Northern Ireland and Scotland both of which have separate systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

Do you have a living parent, aunt or uncle who would qualify as his next of kin. If so they may be able to get the basic information as to whether he is alive or dead from a government agency.

• Advertisement

My mother, his daughter, is dead. My mothers sibling are her half siblings and have a different father so not related to David Skerrett. He was 22 when my mum was born and he left my grandmother so I would expect that he remarried and had children with another woman

He would have had to either obtain an annulment (church and civil records for that) or divorced in the UK (records for that) to be able to remarry.

I'd go looking for those records and any remarriage (which will likely be civil only - most churches refuse to remarry divorced people, CoE changed in 2002 though) records to try get some dates and locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

He may have lived with a woman who called herself mrs rather than formally remarried.

Advertisement