Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading headstones

Options
  • 29-06-2014 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi all,
    I was in a graveyard this morning, and found two headstones that I hadn't noticed before and i think may be relative to my research, 1828 and a couple of names that I recognize. What caught my attention was that someone had recently scraped or hard brushed several stones and showed up a surname I knew.
    What is an acceptable way of making stones more readable?
    I have done a search here and YouTube, but what works? flour? shadows/angled light?
    cordless angle-grinder with wire brush;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I have just used a few squirts of water, worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Yes wetting a stone is the least damaging method and maybe view in evening light or when low angle to sunlight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You could also use a soft brush (like dustpan brush) in conjunction with the water, to get dirt out of the writing.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

A tip I once got from a groundsman in a graveyard was to rub the name on the headstone with a handful of damp grass. It worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 elverstown

thanks,
    was trying to post a pic. or link, but system wont let me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Take a picture when light is falling at an angle, transfer it to a pc and invert the colours. Helps a lot with very old inscriptions I find where lichen can mess with the brains pattern matching software. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

First off - please don't use a wire brush or other abrasive as this will damage the stone.

Washing the stone with a soft brush and water is grand to clean off the muck.
    And a wet stone is often easier to read than a dry one.
    Sunshine is a great help and depending on which way the stone faces early morning or late evening can be the best.
    Flour is good for reading very worn stones but it does leave a residue.
    Something else that works really well is newsprint - the thin light weight paper on which newspapers are produced.
    Place your piece of newsprint against the stone and then rub it with a sponge covered with carbon tracing paper.
    This can be a very successful way of bringing up a worn image without damaging the stone.
    A strong torch placed in line with the writing is another good method.

4GmjX4.jpg

7WZnCR.jpg

5wJTCh.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks Hermy,
    The wire brush was being a bit cheeky, but to do a rubbing I think I would need to remove some of the lichens? and ivy creepers, I was trying to upload a picture, anyone know how?

elverstown wrote: »
    Thanks Hermy,
    The wire brush was being a bit cheeky, but to do a rubbing I think I would need to remove some of the lichens? and ivy creepers, I was trying to upload a picture, anyone know how?

Use photobucket or something like that and just post a link. Think you still count as a "new" user since your post count is so low. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

"new" users can't post links either - bit of an issue on here where often new posters need to give us links!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What you need is a nice flame war on a subject you're passionate about: that will rack up the posts.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks,
    +1,
    On a side note, did a night class in Naas with Mario Corrigan and James D? last year, very good and well attended.
    D

MYOB wrote: »
    "new" users can't post links either - bit of an issue on here where often new posters need to give us links!
    can post the address though if the http/www is left off.

plus.google.com/u/0/photos?pid=6030329386215839762&oid=104650761098038079205
    I'll get there eventually.

Advertisement