Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drug use on Dublin to Sligo train.

Options
  • 26-03-2015 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

I was on the 3pm Dublin to Sligo train yesterday when two lads, completely off their heads, boarded the train at Connelly station and sat at the table opposite us. They were both seriously under the influence of something much stronger than alcohol and were both barely able to speak. Within 5 mins they were both flat-out face down on the table. We weren't going to sit there with them across from us so we moved to one of the few available seats a few rows away.

After the train departed Dublin one of the guys got up and entered the toilet, 15-20 minutes later he came out of the toilet. The second guy then headed for the toilet and spent roughly the same time in there. When he left the toilet he was completely disorientated and struggled to find his seat.

They both got off the train at Mullingar where one of the guys made a sad but comical attempt to pick up a newspaper which he had dropped, clearly struggling.

Later during the journey I used the toilet and there were syringe wrappers on the floor. My wife notified train staff of this when we arrived in Sligo in case there might be used syringes in the bin.

The train carriage was full during this period with a number of children nearby.

How these guys were allowed on the train in the state they were in is a mystery to me as it was potentially a very serious situation, they had to have been witnessed by Irish Rail staff.

Did anyone else happen to witness this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Would the train not have been the place to look for witnesses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Did it not occur to you to call the Garda? Nothing can be done by just observing them. I cant see how this situation is any different to a junkie getting on a Dublin bus. Everyday hundreds travel into the city by bus to go to the cities Needle exchanges and methadone clinics. There is some issues caused by them. But bus drivers have no issues letting them onto the bus, as long as they dont cause issues on the bus.

I dont see anything shocking about this personally. Its unfortunate that you constantly see syringe wrappers and used syringes on the streets in Dublin. Dublin has social issues, TDs fail to address them. But there is nothing you can do but ignore it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

hfallada wrote: »
    Did it not occur to you to call the Garda? Nothing can be done by just observing them.
    I looked for a ticket conductor on the train and couldn't find one and I sure as hell wasn't going to confront.
    hfallada wrote: »
    I dont see anything shocking about this personally. Its unfortunate that you constantly see syringe wrappers and used syringes on the streets in Dublin. Dublin has social issues, TDs fail to address them. But there is nothing you can do but ignore it
    A train is a bit different asit is a confined space for periods at a time. My biggest fear was threatening behaviour from them when they came round.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭butterfly28

If I had been on the train that day I would have felt the same.....witnessed aggressive behaviour on the train before (amongst other passengers) and all that could be done was calling the Guards :( a CCTV camera won't save you and if I had children with me I certainly would be looking for a prevention not a cure. You can get off a bus easily but you're not going to hop into the nearest ditch when you feel like you are in danger now are you??!

Advertisement