Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

emergency accommodation

Options
  • 11-12-2018 4:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

A friend of mine, her partner and 1 year old, have had an rtb ruling back that they have to vacate the house they are in within 2 weeks, any place they look for on daft etc won't accept babies/toddlers. They live in Clare. They will have to enter emergency accommodation but they have no idea how this works. What kind can you get? How does it get paid? Is there a limit? can advise or help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

cuddlepunk wrote: »
    A friend of mine, her partner and 1 year old, have had an rtb ruling back that they have to vacate the house they are in within 2 weeks, any place they look for on daft etc won't accept babies/toddlers. They live in Clare. They will have to enter emergency accommodation but they have no idea how this works. What kind can you get? How does it get paid? Is there a limit? can advise or help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

First stop and immediately is the Council Offices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

In Dublin, the council tells the tenant to stay until the sheriff is coming, which might take months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

4ensic15 wrote: »
    In Dublin, the council tells the tenant to stay until the sheriff is coming, which might take months.

Reported

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Reported

Unfortunately it’s close to the truth. Threshold have been telling tenants to over hold also h til the very last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Reported

Reported for speaking the Truth? I have gotten the same advice of RTB before...

OP, There is many more properties in Clare advertised through letting agents. Way more then daft. Rent gas gone up in recent years but not nearly to the scale of other counties. Not sure what part of Clare your friends are from but there is houses going in Ennis from 800-1000 pm and 2 bed apartments from 520-800. We also have a toddler and it wasn't any hassle.

I have no idea how you would go about seeking emergency accommodation but as mentioned above the council office would be a good place to start.

I wish them the best of luck and hopefully they have a place for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Councils have a homeless unit/dept

This appears to be the Clare one

You may be told they can't help you until litetally the day you become homeless.

But talk to them and local councillors etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Reported
    There is no need to post this. Don't do it again.

What is this families budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

kceire wrote: »
    Unfortunately it’s close to the truth. Threshold have been telling tenants to over hold also h til the very last minute.

Never in my considerable experience. Quite the opposite.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Graces7 wrote: »
    Never in my considerable experience. Quite the opposite.

Maybe they have changed their ways but unfortunately they have given this advice out to tenants in the past.
    Some threads on here about it also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

They can't do anything until they are actually homeless. They present at the councils office and accommodation will be found. The kind they get depends on what's available, could be a hotel, hostel or a hub. They may need to split up. It's paid by the council with the exception of hubs who take a contribution from the resident.

I'd advise them to contact the council anyway and advise them, get the info on where the homeless office is, who they need to ask for etc.

This should be the absolute last resort if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cuddlepunk

Thank you for all the replies

Augeo wrote: »
    What is this families budget?
    They are hoping to get a place for 600 (they'll get 480 on HAP).
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

cuddlepunk wrote:
    They are hoping to get a place for 600 (they'll get 480 on HAP). Thanks

It's probably the HAP that is causing them to be turned down as apposed to their toddler. Though any landlord won't admit it as its illegal to discriminate HAP Tennant's.

They can only afford to pay 120e a month in rent?

My OH and I are getting by OK paying full rent, I work (just above minimum wage) and she is on job seekers. When we were both on job seekers (with depended) we weren't any wise off then we are now.

When we were looking for a place originally with HAP we were getting nowhere, we scrapped the idea of HAP and it didn't even take us 2 weeks then.

We get by without it. Bills paid, roof over our heads, Christmas sorted etc.

killanena wrote: »
    It's probably the HAP that is causing them to be turned down as apposed to their toddler. Though any landlord won't admit it as its illegal to discriminate HAP Tennant's.

They can only afford to pay 120e a month in rent?

My OH and I are getting by OK paying full rent, I work (just above minimum wage) and she is on job seekers. When we were both on job seekers (with depended) we weren't any wise off then we are now.

When we were looking for a place originally with HAP we were getting nowhere, we scrapped the idea of HAP and it didn't even take us 2 weeks then.

We get by without it. Bills paid, roof over our heads, Christmas sorted etc.

I thought that might be the situation alright but I contacted a few places myself and didn't mention HAP, but did say I had a child and was told the places weren't suitable for children.

I was told the most they can go to including HAP is 600,I think they are paying off students loans etc.

Thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

The poor people. Isn't it absolutely shocking that an RTB ruling could just fall out of the sky like that without any advance warning?

Squatter wrote: »
    The poor people. Isn't it absolutely shocking that an RTB ruling could just fall out of the sky like that without any advance warning?

The Landlord wouldn't accept HAP once they had moved in,wouldn't sign the forms,( he said something like he couldn't provide all the information needed to get HAP) even though he said he would when they first met. They have been looking for a place for months, a family member said they could stay with them but since has had other issues and can not offer them the place to stay. So no, it didn't fallout of the sky,it was a complicated long drawn out situation.

What are the consequences of not paying the student loans.*

Can they be deferred?????.

Payments renegotiated????.

Could possibly be worth talking to MABS (Money, Advice and Budgeting service).

I would think trying to get something sorted on the student loan payments is better then being homeless.

*You need proper advice before doing this so you can make the best decision possible in terms of balancing the homeless risk with the consequences of stopping loan payments - I'd talk to MABS about your options - a negotiated agreement with the lender is always best

Old diesel wrote: »
    What are the consequences of not paying the student loans.*

Can they be deferred?????.

Payments renegotiated????.

Could possibly be worth talking to MABS (Money, Advice and Budgeting service).

I would think trying to get something sorted on the student loan payments is better then being homeless.

*You need proper advice before doing this so you can make the best decision possible in terms of balancing the homeless risk with the consequences of stopping loan payments - I'd talk to MABS about your options - a negotiated agreement with the lender is always best

Thank you very much for the advice, I'll pass it on to them.

Thank you very much for the advice, I'll pass it on to them.

Please note I'm just a guy on the Internet.

Proper real world expert advice is needed

• Advertisement
Advertisement