Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many hours sleep do you get on average?

• 10-12-2018 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

4 hours on a good night. 2 hours on bad night
    Average =3

Oiche mhaith cullah sovh. 319 votes

1 hours
    0% 0 votes
    2 hours
    0% 2 votes
    3 hours
    0% 0 votes
    4 hours
    0% 2 votes
    5 hours
    5% 16 votes
    6 hours
    11% 37 votes
    7 hours
    31% 101 votes
    8 hours
    29% 93 votes
    9 hours
    18% 60 votes
    10 hours
    2% 8 votes

Comments

Thats very little OP. Do you manage ok on it or feel you need more?

I can sleep a lot and even after 8/9 hours sleep could still be tired. My average is probably 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I was talking to a man back in August who told me he suffered from very severe insomnia. I sympathised with his plight, but he said it was not all bad. Only three more sleeps till Christmas.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

About 4 to 5. I'd love to be able to just hibernate for 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I posted 6 hours and am surprised 50 pc (so far) are the same. I’d love to sleep more and am a divil for LONG weekend afternoon naps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Toots wrote: »

Me2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

7-8

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Around 8 hour's on weekdays, 9 on weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,953 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

honeybear wrote: »
    Me2

Me3 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

6 I'm constantly tired but never at the right time.

On Thursday I plan on sleeping the whole day. I do love sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I usually get 6 hours. If I sleep anymore than that I actually feel more tired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

5 hours... then the dogs wake me up.

always work best in the mornings have the house cleaned, the ironing done and the place cleaned before I go to work. Work 10 hours a day most days then home cook and clean (if not gym) then back to bed around 11ish..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I have no idea. It’s too depressing to try and figure out. What I have realised since having a baby is the quality of sleep is much more important than quantity. 4 hours unbroken sleep is much better than 8 hours where you get woken every two hours for 10 mins. Every hour is pure torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I’m just after getting into bed now. Newborn and a 2 year old. No work until January so I’ll be happy with 5 or 6 hours throughout the night until then.

What does

Oiche mhaith cullah sovh.

mean? I know there's no letter v in Irish language so very confused (maybe I need more sleeps?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Toots wrote: »

Id love to hibernate for 8 months every year.wake up for summer eat a bit and fcuk off back to sleep again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59,641 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Oiche mhaith cullah sovh [Oiche mhaith codladh sámh is the spelling] = Good night, sleep well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

5 hours lately seems to be the norm, I think as you age your sleeps goes to ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

What does

Oiche mhaith cullah sovh.

mean? I know there's no letter v in Irish language so very confused (maybe I need more sleeps?)

It's "oiche mhaith, codladh samh". Should be a fada on the a in samh but I can't do it on my phone. (anyone know how on SwiftKey?)

It means "Goodnight, sleep soundly" or "sleep well". It is pronounced like sauve alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I usually get between 7-8 hours any more or less and I feel more tired

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

7-8 hours. If I get 6 hours or less 3 nights in a row I really feel fatigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭badabing106

Thats very little OP. Do you manage ok on it or feel you need more?

4 hours sleep is normal and great for me. Two hours sleep can get away with it, two days in a row of that though and you'd be putting orange juice in your coffee by mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

4 hours sleep is normal and great for me. Two hours sleep can get away with it, two days in a row of that though and you'd be putting orange juice in your coffee by mistake

Do you take much caffeine/alcohol? More than 2 cups a day of coffee makes me fatigued by nighttime but falling asleep is difficult for me with caffeine in my system. Seem to do better without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Around 8 hours but it’s usually very broken. It would be rare enough for me to sleep in a long block and not wake. I love those sleeps where you wake and genuinely wonder were you in a coma for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

About 4-5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I’m just after getting into bed now. Newborn and a 2 year old. No work until January so I’ll be happy with 5 or 6 hours throughout the night until then.

Almost 3 and a half hours later and zero minutes sleep :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

8 hours usually.

I remember six or seven years ago, one Friday evening, I got home from work at 7pm and went to my room for what I thought would be the usual 15 minute power nap. When I woke up, it was 9am on Saturday morning. It freaked me out. 14 hours! What if it had been another weeknight?

I told my sister, who is a total nag. Big mistake. She lectured me for a good ten minutes about how that was far too long to sleep and listed parents of young children she knew who survive on only a few hours a night. I was like “Erm, it was in no way planned” but that didn’t stop her. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Usually 4, maybe 5. But when I’m asleep, I am very very asleep, almost nothing would wake me, which isn’t great.

I’m absolute brutal at waking up in the morning, but I am a morning person. Love being up before everyone. But Christ, it’s awfully frustrating getting into bed at 10 or 11 tired and lying awake until 2am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Can't function all that well on less than seven.

Thankfully though I get up when I want, except on Wednesdays when I get rudely awakened by the dustmen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Go to bed at 8 with the little ones , sleep by 9 up at 5am- does me grand, sleep when they sleep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Usually in bed by 10 but dont sleep until around 11:30 and up at 6 so roughly around 6-7 hours.

Any more and i feel groggy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭facehugger99

11.15pm to 7.15am

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

In bed at 12 up at 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,930 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Lately between 5 and 6 hours max. The very frustrating thing is I could get more but the traffic chaos in the mornings make it not worthwhile, so instead I end up an hour/hour and a half early most days.

Could go to bed earlier but I wouldn't sleep anyway and then it really would feel like just work-bed-work every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Bed usually by 12 then up at 5.30 for the gym. At the weekend I'll probably go to bed later and get up later.
    I'd say on average 5 or 6 hours a night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

NSAman wrote: »
    5 hours... then the dogs wake me up.

I think he is waking me up as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Varies according to the season. I have severe SAD and currently hypersomnia is ruling. Dare not add it up but as one stage it was around 19 hours out of the 24. and feeling groggy all day also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I dont know how you get by on that little OP. I wouldnt have thought most people could function with so little sleep

I get 7-8 and somedays Im still a bit tired if I woke up a lot during the night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

I am extremely jealous of my cat. She sleeps for 29 hours per day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

3-4 hours in a night is a good nights sleep for me. Had insomnia for bloody years now and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Around 8 hours but it’s usually very broken. It would be rare enough for me to sleep in a long block and not wake. I love those sleeps where you wake and genuinely wonder were you in a coma for a while

Me too, its so rare for me to sleep the whole entire 8 hours but the difference in how I feel is astounding, I feel so perfectly rested like my batteries are fully charged, usually I wake up 3 or 4 times a night for ten or so minutes and Im usually a bit tired in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

depends on how hot the sex was the night before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

depends on how hot the sex was the night before

9 hours a day so....?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ytjeffsy29

4 hours on a good night. 2 hours on bad night
    Average =3

Wow, that's very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ytjeffsy29

During the week I always set on my mind to go to bed at 10.30pm but never happen. Average during the week is 5 hours sleep and then weekend is 8 hours.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

7-8 hours a night, weekday or weekend.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'm from a family of champion sleepers, my own father worked like a slave but always slept eight hours every night,my sister is an associate at a major Dublin law firm, she's 35, in a long term relationship, she gets up at 6.45 each morning but goes to bed at 9pm and has done on week nights since she left college and started working, she is the biggest sleep monster of us all, my two kids slept from 10 pm every night right through until 7.30 in the morning from the age of eight weeks, no up several times per night past six weeks

I sleep minimum seven hours per night and could do nine, average eight, I'd be sick if I made do with four hours a night for even a few days of each month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

During the week I would normally get 8 hours but I get less at the weekend. Dunno why that is. But going back to work is like getting a rest for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

6 is a good nights sleep. 4-4.5 for minimum operating for the next morning

Weekends are hit and miss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I'm from a family of champion sleepers, my own father worked like a slave but always slept eight hours every night,my sister is an associate at a major Dublin law firm, she's 35, in a long term relationship, she gets up at 6.45 each morning but goes to bed at 9pm and has done on week nights since she left college and started working, she is the biggest sleep monster of us all, my two kids slept from 10 pm every night right through until 7.30 in the morning from the age of eight weeks, no up several times per night past six weeks

I sleep minimum seven hours per night and could do nine, average eight, I'd be sick if I made do with four hours a night for even a few days of each month

Champion sleepers and sleep monsters, I love it. People should be a lot more pro-sleep. Like your sister I would be in bed by 9 pm (at the latest!), I start yawning from about 7 pm onwards, am up usually before 6, I like 9 hours sleep best of all. Usually I get 8 as there is a liminal time in the middle of the night when I awaken and cogitate deeply upon the most incredibly useless thoughts, but I generally fall back again. If I get less than 6 hours I honestly feel like I have been injected with poison and have to drift slack-jawed through the day to cope. There was a time when I was embarrassed about my early sleep time, but I believe most New Zealanders are in their pyjamas and slippers by 9pm, so I feel reassured now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement