Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail Ticket Machines

• 04-12-2018 7:48pm

If I am buying a ticket for 20 euro will the machine reject a 50 due to change required in coins?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Yes

Yes
    Thank you. My Mrs was blaming me for folding the note. I reckoned it was the coins required to dispense change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,563 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The model of machine they use can be configured to give notes in change, for some perverse reason they haven't done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Thank you. My Mrs was blaming me for folding the note. I reckoned it was the coins required to dispense change

There are signs on many of their ticket machines stating that they won't give change on €50 notes unless you are purchasing ticket above a stated value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

L1011 wrote: »
    The model of machine they use can be configured to give notes in change, for some perverse reason they haven't done it.

Not that I'm aware of. Those machines only ever have dispensed coins as change they never accept €50 unless the amount exceeds €31.50 / change is less than €19.

Would also say they have refitted them with contactless in the last few weeks but software is not ready yet.

• Advertisement

The same model does it across the world. The spec doc should be on S&Bs website

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Infini wrote: »
    Not that I'm aware of. Those machines only ever have dispensed coins as change they never accept €50 unless the amount exceeds €31.50 / change is less than €19.

Would also say they have refitted them with contactless in the last few weeks but software is not ready yet.

The very same machines have been used over many countries, over the UK and can support contactless, they can support note return and a whole load of other features that Irish Rail don't have on their software. They just need to pay someone to write the functionality into them and use a more modern version rather than one which is the same from years ago and hasn't been updated to take into account newer features the machines support.

I suspect instead of "pay someone" its just "ask S&B" or maybe "pay S&B"

S&B support and service the machines mostly, not IR.

I suspect instead of "pay someone" its just "ask S&B" or maybe "pay S&B"

S&B support and service the machines mostly, not IR.

The last few years hasn't that been done by Quaestor? Before it used to be always S&B themselves - did S&B subcontract the maintenance I wonder or did the maintenance deal expire and Irish Rail went wit a third party?

I do know of one company that decided that S&B were quoting too expensive prices so they went through a third party to get software changed made - didn't go down too well with S&B at all who didn't want to support the machines properly after that.

May be subcontractes for the basic servicing of coin receptors, printers, etc. They definitely still deal with S&B for high level stuff as well as buying new units

• Advertisement

May be subcontractes for the basic servicing of coin receptors, printers, etc. They definitely still deal with S&B for high level stuff as well as buying new units

From reading the Quaestor website section on Irish Rail, it suggests that they may well be contracted directly for Irish Rail for the lions share of the maintenance and running of the system. If that's the case, then I'd imagine S&B will be less accommodating on work and the price they charge, compared to if IR were going direct for their maintenance.

Reading that Quaestor site is quite interesting though, they're responsible for maintaining Passenger Information Systems on 223 Iarnrod Eireann train-cars, Bus Eireann and Dublin Bus ticketing equipment among other things and honesty, with the low level of reliability and poor functionality of some of those systems, it's not really a claim to fame!

Really those S&B machines are capable of doing so much more than Irish Rail use them for. They're well overdue a software refresh and to fit contactless machines - I don't understand why it hasn't already been done because the LUAS ones were done ages ago, although they certainly are on a direct S&B contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Didn't someone say IE maintain TMVs inhouse or within CIE unlike Luas who outsource to the manufacturer?

CIE IT systems are complete s**t from apps, websites, real time, TMVs.

They definitely do not maintain them in-house. The actual staff loading up new ticket rolls etc are Quaestor, possibly contracted direct, possibly contracted to S&B. Now that I remember I've seen actual S&B badged staff doing the work for Luas I'd guess it has to be contracted direct.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Didn't someone say IE maintain TMVs inhouse or within CIE unlike Luas who outsource to the manufacturer?

See above link - Quaestor certainly maintain them now, I've seen them a few times in the last few months and a lot over the past few years but haven't seen S&B for ages whereas they were doing the maintenance a good few years back.

For these things I think you really need to go with the manufacturer since you get everything in one. In the transport industry for a good few years now outside CIE it's been common in the UK and Ireland to have everything on maintenance and spares contracts with the supplier.

I don't know what the contracts are like with IE and S&B and Quaestor, but it is quite common with electronics that if a manufacturer supplies a machine and a party that are not authorised by the manufacturer to service it does so, that the manufacturer will not fully support the machines and will charge far more for any work that needs to be done.

They definitely do not maintain them in-house. The actual staff loading up new ticket rolls etc are Quaestor, possibly contracted direct, possibly contracted to S&B. Now that I remember I've seen actual S&B badged staff doing the work for Luas I'd guess it has to be contracted direct.

See page 11 here:

In 2013 they signed a 3 year direct maintenance contract with Quaestor, I would say they probably got another one or an extension since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Infini wrote: »

Doesn't the contactless option work?

Advertisement