Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tralee and Dingle

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Del.Monte wrote: »

thats a general narrow gauge rail group and not anything to do with the T&D

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

thats a general narrow gauge rail group and not anything to do with the T&D

You can't have looked very carefully. Try scrolling down the page, it's all there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

You can't have looked very carefully. Try scrolling down the page, it's all there.
    sorry. i checked and just saw it there now.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I see there's at least one individual rubbing his hands in glee at the prospect of the new venture foundering. I think it's quite sad that there are people out there that will take pleasure from this.

• Advertisement

I see there's at least one individual rubbing his hands in glee at the prospect of the new venture foundering. I think it's quite sad that there are people out there that will take pleasure from this.

Can't imagine why. :D

Can't imagine why. :D

Some people just like to watch the world burn, if they can't contribute anything positive themselves...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Some people just like to watch the world burn, if they can't contribute anything positive themselves...

Indeed, unfortunately in the preservation world there seems to be a lot of you are not doing what I want , therefore you are wrong, therefore you should fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Founder? despite a hiccup, the groups new Facebook page has received support from well over 700 people in a couple of weeks and the Group is reportedly in negotiation about funding and hope to re-open in 2016.

Founder? despite a hiccup, the groups new Facebook page has received support from well over 700 people in a couple of weeks and the Group is reportedly in negotiation about funding and hope to re-open in 2016.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxgZ9R1zit723oBxa6PNJtDGEXmPmAtbb21X2ZGH-V3ihxCqjQ

700 Facebook likes..The Naomh Eanna Trust https://www.facebook.com/pages/Naomh-Eanna-Trust/211241455563057 has 3,777 likes and appears to have turned into a talking shop and a place to post photographs; the Save the Rail campaign Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/367387502018/ has 2,271 likes and is a talking shop. Talk/Likes are cheap and judging from the postings on the new T&D page it is well down that road too.

A split before a track hammer is lifted does not bode well for the future and there's far too many from the old set-up eyeing their chance to get back on this potential gravy train.

• Advertisement

unless you are there, you probably don't know any more about it than I do.

Apparently they are awaiting permission to move in and negotiations are well on. Access to the engine shed was granted just a week or so ago.

To be honest I think you're talking through your hat

Time will tell but Facebook likes are utterly meaningless.

I agree, but I think there is much more going on than just a fb page.

I agree, but I think there is much more going on than just a fb page.

Indeed.

It would be preferable if they conducted their affairs in private instead of using social media to air any differences they may have for all and sundry to see and draw their own conclusions from.

well I don't think I have seen anything of that sort from the Group themselves. Of course, I haven't seen everything I suppose. I got the impression that all the flak was rather one sided. I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

The[/B] Naomh Eanna Trust https://www.facebook.com/pages/Naomh-Eanna-Trust/211241455563057 has 3,777 likes and appears to have turned into a talking shop and a place to post photographs;

Sadly after an uphill struggle to get the means to protect her in place, they failed at the final hurdle and couldn't get financial backers in place to preserve her :(

Time will tell but Facebook likes are utterly meaningless.

Liking a page is simply 'slacktivism', like signing an online petition.

no different to dissing a project on boards though is it.

no different to dissing a project on boards though is it.

At least here you know where they stand.

Liking a page is simply 'slacktivism', like signing an online petition.

I had to Google that one...guess I'm a dinosaur. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭BowWow

I had to Google that one...guess I'm a dinosaur. :D

+1 :confused:

And more of the same.

Blennerville%2BFacebook%2B1%2BAug%2B2016.PNG

I have to feel for the local Committee who are genuine people wanting to do something for the Community who , as can be seen from the preceding, have been frustrated by Council politics. They have given it their best shot, with no progress made on acquiring the line. Whether a breakthrough will be made, I don't know.

Unfortunately 5T is in the hands of people who variously wanted to put it in a glass cage or put a diesel engine in it. There are elements there who won't easily let go of control of the loco and the line.

It's been shown that 5T can be steamed again relatively cheaply, I'd like to see that happen but to do it properly the out of scale platforms and coaches need replacing with items more in keeping with the originals. Above all, all concerned need to realise the difference between a train ride and a heritage line.

I'm not involved in the project but I'm sure it would benefit from support from the enthusiast sector. Add your voice to the project if you can help

If it was a GAA-related project all roadblocks would be removed, funding would be found - by hook or crook, and the vast majority of the locals would force their local representatives to do something to back it up and see it through.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Railway preservation simply isn't an Irish thing, at least outside of Dublin.

I believe the people around Tralee don't really care whether it turns a wheel or not again. They may think 'wouldn't it be lovely' if they had it running again, but wishful thinking is about as far as it goes.

It will only get going when there's loads of Euro dosh provided which can be accessed by local interests. I still see the remains of 5T ending up as a standby loco for Santa's Workshop.

Above all, all concerned need to realise the difference between a train ride and a heritage line.

That was certainly not evident at the outset, it was considered akin to a giant Hornby trainset.

If there's no united cohesive local support at all levels (with a willingness to seek out and work with those who know something about running a successful operation) the whole thing is practically dead in the water.

that and the funding are reckoned to be on the stocks and ready to go, but KCC are the stumbling block as the Man from Del Monte points out. They own it, nothing can be done until they move, and I don't know if they will.

It will only get going when there's loads of Euro dosh provided which can be accessed by local interests. I still see the remains of 5T ending up as a standby loco for Santa's Workshop.

And here we are:

t%253Dd.PNG

https://www.facebook.com/traleeanddinglerailway/?hc_ref=SEARCH

The people of Tralee - i.e. the vested interests - will be out in force for their share of the Euro dosh. Wasn't it Albert Einstein that said “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”. It doesn't take an Einstein to see that the shower that ran the railway into the ground the first time round will be back in control. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

exactly as predicted with a budget of about twice what the T&DRPS had estimated, most of which will go to contractors no doubt. The Mate's rates materials, diesel from the WCR and free volunteer labour won't materialise, most of the Committee are on record as saying they won't be free labour for KCC. All that will happen is a train ride using monstrously oversized coaches running from bare over-height platforms when what's needed is a Heritage Railway.

latest from the T&DRPS facebook page

"
    ��#KerryCountyCouncil informed us in late August that THEY intend to reopen it, SOON ???

��We would like to pin them down on this - but they are presently trying to raise the necessary funding.

��It's deeply frustrating for all of us, to put up with the huge bureaucracy concerned, but we are willing to try to be patient, for a little while, anyway. "

Hard to see how KCC will re-open the line as one of the main obstacles was and is motive power. 5T will take a while to rebuild and they have no diesel available, the WCR machine will not be available to them.
    The line needs at least a third of it's sleepers replacing immediately and the rest within a couple of years. KCC will be paying rather more than the special rate T&DRPS had secured.
    The carriages, although basically sound , need replacing with more suitably sized vehicles and the platforms need to be reduced in height to something more in keeping with the T&D
    The biggest obstacle though is getting KCC to understand the difference between a Heritage Railway and a train ride.

And more.

T%2526D%2B23%2BSept%2B2016.PNG

kiss of death that they wont hand over control . The same people who wrecked it last time want to do it again. It's finished and no one (almost ) cares

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Talk is cheap, Facebook likes easy to come and as for the machinations of Kerry County Council and vested interests in Tralee....is it any wonder enthusiasts removed themselves from the project as far back as 1990?

nicky%2B007.JPG

From the original 'preservation' project operated by the UDC.

• Advertisement

T%252BD%2BCartoons%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

I had nearly forgotten about the B.E.S scheme - a nice little earner for those involved. The Tralee/Blennerville Railway story from the same cabal that was responsible for the Jeanie Johnston fiasco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BES needs a profit to be of any use to investors - how was there one?

L1011 wrote: »
    BES needs a profit to be of any use to investors - how was there one?

It was to do with Tax Relief for investment if memory serves. In reality, I don't think anybody made money from the Tralee/Blennerville project it was more of a power grab by certain vested interests in Tralee who like to control everything.

I know there was never any money for anything when I was involved. I personally had to pay the Irish Sugar Company for the locomotive shed - needless to say, it was a long time before I was repaid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Talk is cheap, Facebook likes easy to come and as for the machinations of Kerry County Council and vested interests in Tralee....is it any wonder enthusiasts removed themselves from the project as far back as 1990?

nicky%2B007.JPG

From the original 'preservation' project operated by the UDC.

for your information, the gentleman on Radio Kerry is an enthusiast, a highly qualified railway Civil Engineer in fact. and of the recently defunct Committee trying to do something, about half could be described as Enthusiast and I believe only one person involved could be described as a vested interest. As for your "talk" and "facebook" jibes, the Committee had completed a survey of the line, sourced a supply of sleepers at a huge discount and had 5Ts boiler surveyed and had a very reasonable quote from RPSI to repair the cracked throatplate and refurbish the bolier.All of this done in the face of KCC hostility and obstruction.

Isambard wrote: »
    for your information, the gentleman on Radio Kerry is an enthusiast, a highly qualified railway Civil Engineer in fact. and of the recently defunct Committee trying to do something, about half could be described as Enthusiast and I believe only one person involved could be described as a vested interest. As for your "talk" and "facebook" jibes, the Committee had completed a survey of the line, sourced a supply of sleepers at a huge discount and had 5Ts boiler surveyed and had a very reasonable quote from RPSI to repair the cracked throatplate and refurbish the bolier.All of this done in the face of KCC hostility and obstruction.

Well, I'll bow to your superior knowledge of the current preservation attempt and only time will tell. I never said the gentleman on Radio Kerry wasn't an enthusiast or mentioned his undoubted qualifications. As for Facebook and the like, my points remain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

it's not current, it's defunct with the exception of this gentleman being the only person as far as I know doing anything positive. Fair play to him, if only there were more positive people and less negative ones.

Advertisement