Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just crashed, when do I ring insurance?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Watch that headache, you may not have a bump but it's worth getting checked out. As above if you have VHI then try to go to a swiftclinic save you some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Heroditas

For an accident of this severity, I would think you'd be best not contacting her and leave it to the insurance companies and Gardai.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Don't contact her. People can claim intimidation very easily.

Ring your insurance company so it's logged and off your mind. They will deal with it all.

Get to the doctor.

Something to be aware of, you more than likely have "legal cover" with your insurance. Be prepared for a call from them as they will want to find out what happened, should you need to claim personal injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

That is assuming the OP is fully comp and not 3rd party.
    Even if they are fully comp it would be in their own interest to claim off the other driver (through a solicitor) rather than put a claim through their own insurer.
    The 'through a solicitor' bit is just that the other driver's insurer will simply fob him off if he tries to go it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

In no way was I suggesting that you go to a Doc as a means of getting compo.I rolled a car and walked away fine!Until I got a serious headache,took 1 month for the internal brain swelling to subside,even with doc prescription.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Surely if its only a week after the crash, you could get that money back (via insurance?).

Car at the time was a piece of crap and not much damage done, stupidly I let her away with it without taking details...hindsight etc etc etc

My insurance is 3rd party, but again I wasn't at fault, and it seems (based on the time at the scene) the other driver isn't disputing liability, so.. I should be okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

My insurance is 3rd party, but again I wasn't at fault, and it seems (based on the time at the scene) the other driver isn't disputing liability, so.. I should be okay?

Id be ringing your crowd anyway... 5 minute phone call could save some heart-ache further down the line..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If the other party is still in hospital, his insurers are unlikely to accept liability until they can have a chat with him for his version of events. It is a courtesy which I'm sure you would expect from your insurer if the roles were reversed. If he has reported it in, you should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 sunnyt

As everyone else here has said you need to call your own insurance company. This will actually help you as your insurance company will deal with theirs and help get things sorted. You were involved in an accident and this needs to be logged. When you renew your insurance they ask you about previous accidents and you will have to disclose this and it will be fine as you have nothing to hide as you weren't at fault....it might not appear that way if you don't log it! If this drags on you cannot change insurance while you are involved in a claim, regardless of fault. Write down your version of events while they are fresh....email them to yourself. Hopefully you won't need it but just in case. Hope things get sorted quickly for you.

• Advertisement

Looks like they've no insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

FFS.

You'll need to make a claim with MIBI so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I got rear ended, the only damage was chipped paint and was still sore the next day. This seems to be a lot worse given an ambulance was involved. Adrenaline is a hell of a drug, wait til it wears off.
    This is strange, I was rear ended, and the damage was a lot worse than chipped paint. Towbar mangled, bumper and boot pushed in. I didn't have any after effects.
    Could be different seating positions lead to different impacts on the body....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Looks like they've no insurance.

Scumbag, sorry to hear that. As stated above your insurance company can go to the MIBI.
    The book should be thrown at scumbags like that when they are caught. :mad:

sunnyt wrote: »
    As everyone else here has said you need to call your own insurance company. This will actually help you as your insurance company will deal with theirs and help get things sorted. You were involved in an accident and this needs to be logged. When you renew your insurance they ask you about previous accidents and you will have to disclose this and it will be fine as you have nothing to hide as you weren't at fault....it might not appear that way if you don't log it! If this drags on you cannot change insurance while you are involved in a claim, regardless of fault. Write down your version of events while they are fresh....email them to yourself. Hopefully you won't need it but just in case. Hope things get sorted quickly for you.

They won't. He has 3rd party only, and therefore his Insurer has nothing to do with this incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Diemos wrote: »
    This is strange, I was rear ended, and the damage was a lot worse than chipped paint. Towbar mangled, bumper and boot pushed in. I didn't have any after effects.
    Could be different seating positions lead to different impacts on the body....

It was only bit of stiffness but I did see it coming, with nowhere to go, so probably tensed up. It was years ago, but I do remember it being very very loud and being convinced the whole boot was gonna be destroyed, even got it checked out after because I was convinced there was damage underneath.

So a bit of an update: I rang the other driver directly, and we chatted for a little while. Seems like a nice person, in fairness.

Turns out there is insurance in place. The Garda at the scene gave me insurance information that was correct, but had the wrong actual insurer named. So when I got through to the insurer on the phone, they had no record of the policy or reg plate on their system, and they said the name I gave is too common, so they need an address or date of birth to try to narrow it down (I had neither).

Thankfully enough, after a short phone call (to the other driver) I got the right insurance company name, and when I rang them, they immediately accepted liability.

Can I ask ye folks, the phone call I had was very friendly, but also had a stern undertone of 'this is how we do it' and little room given to deviate from their plan of action.

I'm curious, they told me a repair centre will contact me and they'll take the car, and give me a replacement car to use. They'll need time to 'put an estimate on it, and order the parts, and carry out the repair'. However, have I not got the option of not repairing it and pocketing the repair costs?

I know it might sound a bit tight, but I've a funny feeling the repairs are going to cost as much as the car is worth (possibly more!). I've had simple bumper fixes in the past, that were 'cash jobs' and cost €400. This needs a whole front bumper, new bonnet, grille, airbags reinstated, seatbelts sorted, new headlamp, and foglight. To add to the complications, there are front parking sensors that are knackered now, too.

I'd consider it an economic write-off. I think I'd be more interested in taking the money to put towards a different car, to be honest.

Also, can anyone tell me if my car is added to a 'crashed' database or something like that? (what I'm really asking is, now that the car has been crashed, will it be flagged on Motorcheck, Cartell, etc. So if I'm trying to sell it later, I'll have a doubly-difficult time)?

Or is it simply accept that the car will be repaired and that's the end of it?

Sorry for the million questions.

I'm still in pain (it's gotten worse, but I was told that it would by my GP and an A+E doctor), and have restricted arm and neck movements, but that wasn't really talked about in the phone call (I'm confident they avoid that line of conversation on purpose).

It was only bit of stiffness but I did see it coming, with nowhere to go, so probably tensed up. It was years ago, but I do remember it being very very loud and being convinced the whole boot was gonna be destroyed, even got it checked out after because I was convinced there was damage underneath.

Similar to yourself, I knew i was going to crash before I actually had an impact. Knew there was no way out. I ended up sitting upright, and leaning forward to the windscreen (really focused on trying to avoid the situation) and I think that probably contributed to my pains. I actually getting sporadic pains in my hands and arms (a lot in the wrist) and i reckon it's from gripping the steering wheel tightly upon impact.

Really wish I'd had the dashcam. Even though no one is questioning liability, etc. I still think I'd loved to have had the footage (of what I hope is to be my once-in-a-lifetime car crash).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You can get the quote they give for repairs minus the vat on the invoice.

Totally up to you what you decide.

Hopefully all involved including yourself are doing ok.

If you are injured or don't feel right get checked out.

The insurance will cover and physio etc....

You are also entitled to claim for approx 10% of the cost of repairs as depreciation on your Car.
    And, as said, what you do with the money paid to you to cover the damage to your car is entirely up to yourself. Fix the car, pay some bills, give it to me.....the choice is yours. ;).

The other Driver's Insurer is only telling you the way they want to do things....you do no not have to do it their way. Make this perfectly clear with them from the outset.

• Advertisement

You won't get depreciation on any vehicle over 4 years old
    The maximum you will receive is the market value of the vehicle
    You can take a cash settlement for the repairs (net of VAT) at any figure up to the market value

I kinda got the impression that the insurance company were just going to pay the repair centre directly. And completely skip over me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I kinda got the impression that the insurance company were just going to pay the repair centre directly. And completely skip over me.
    This is generally standard procedure because it's easier for the insurance company. And it means they know there's no fraud taking place.

You have, in general, a right to choose your own repairer, and be compensated for the cost of those repairs. But the insurer won't make it easy. They are only obliged to pay out the cost of returning you to your previous position.

So if the cost of repairing the vehicle (and hiring the car) is for them, say €2,000, but your quote comes in at €5,000, then they can refuse to pay it. The work can be done cheaper, so legally there's no obligation on them to pay the higher figure.

Likewise, "pocketing the cost of the repairs" - they give you €2,000, but you have a mate who'll do the repair for €1,000. You've now profited €1,000, which is not what insurance is supposed to do.

Typically if the cost of the repairs is more than the economic value of the car, then the insurance company take ownership of the car and give you the money. I've never heard a scenario where the insurer gives you cash and leaves you with a broken car.

If you do think that the actual repairs will be more than the value of the vehicle, then ring the insurer back up and make that counter-offer; they write off the vehicle and give you the money.

I rang a main dealer, and they priced a bonnet and bumper (without grill, inserts, lights, etc.) at over a grand, unpainted and with no fitting. Add in the two light clusters, grille, sensors, etc. and I'd say you're spending about €1,500 - €1,600 before a person actually lifts a finger to do any actual work. I've googled and apparently airbag replacement can be over a grand in itself (unsure how much I believe that though, all US $ examples).

My car is worth €3,000 I'd say. Will surely be considered an economic write off. :o

You won't get depreciation on any vehicle over 4 years old
    The maximum you will receive is the market value of the vehicle
    You can take a cash settlement for the repairs (net of VAT) at any figure up to the market value

Has that changed since 2013 ?
    Back then my son got an extra 10% on top of the damages claim for a 1994 Mini. Claim was against Allianz, if that makes a difference.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Has that changed since 2013 ?
    Back then my son got an extra 10% on top of the damages claim for a 1994 Mini. Claim was against Allianz, if that makes a difference.

No, hasn't changed in many years. Having said that, Insurers sometimes classify allowing a little extra in a claim as depreciation if circumstances warrant it and to avoid a situation escalating

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

I rang a main dealer, and they priced a bonnet and bumper (without grill, inserts, lights, etc.) at over a grand, unpainted and with no fitting. Add in the two light clusters, grille, sensors, etc. and I'd say you're spending about €1,500 - €1,600 before a person actually lifts a finger to do any actual work. I've googled and apparently airbag replacement can be over a grand in itself (unsure how much I believe that though, all US $ examples).

My car is worth €3,000 I'd say. Will surely be considered an economic write off. :o

You can sometimes argue with an economic write-off decision depending on how far over it is. My car was borderline with an initial decision to write it off and I managed to persuade them to repair it.

seagull wrote: »
    You can sometimes argue with an economic write-off decision depending on how far over it is. My car was borderline with an initial decision to write it off and I managed to persuade them to repair it.

To be honest, I'm not overly fussed about which way that decision goes, but my concern is more that if they claim it's a 'write off' i'd rather get to keep it than give it up.

It's not the best yoke in the world, but I'd rather have it there and then I have a bit of time and breathing space to get another car, rather than having a loan car for a max of 2 weeks (as ive been told) and then have to go and buy a new car out of my own pocket whilst i wait for the insurance companies to have a think about the value of my car, and lowball me on it repeatedly.

All in all, the car i had, had a decent spec level, and I like the car itself. I'd prefer it was repaired the more I think about it, but unless it's being repaired by a single chap on minimum wage, I don't see how it'll not cost more than the car is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

To be honest, I'm not overly fussed about which way that decision goes, but my concern is more that if they claim it's a 'write off' i'd rather get to keep it than give it up.

It's not the best yoke in the world, but I'd rather have it there and then I have a bit of time and breathing space to get another car, rather than having a loan car for a max of 2 weeks (as ive been told) and then have to go and buy a new car out of my own pocket whilst i wait for the insurance companies to have a think about the value of my car, and lowball me on it repeatedly.

All in all, the car i had, had a decent spec level, and I like the car itself. I'd prefer it was repaired the more I think about it, but unless it's being repaired by a single chap on minimum wage, I don't see how it'll not cost more than the car is worth.
    I wrote my car off a few weeks back, category D so barely.
    I was offered the full market value of the car made up of salvage value, this was bid on by local salvage companies I was not involved,which I could take or leave and get it repaired myself and the balance minus my excess was paid to me.

My car had high mileage, was a few years old out if warranty and starting to give trouble. I too was worried about it popping up as crashed on websites so I took the salvage.

This was off my own insurer though it was relatively painless, until I go to renew next year and lose my NCB..

• Advertisement
Advertisement