Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just crashed, when do I ring insurance?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You won't get depreciation on any vehicle over 4 years old
    The maximum you will receive is the market value of the vehicle
    You can take a cash settlement for the repairs (net of VAT) at any figure up to the market value

I kinda got the impression that the insurance company were just going to pay the repair centre directly. And completely skip over me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I kinda got the impression that the insurance company were just going to pay the repair centre directly. And completely skip over me.
    This is generally standard procedure because it's easier for the insurance company. And it means they know there's no fraud taking place.

You have, in general, a right to choose your own repairer, and be compensated for the cost of those repairs. But the insurer won't make it easy. They are only obliged to pay out the cost of returning you to your previous position.

So if the cost of repairing the vehicle (and hiring the car) is for them, say €2,000, but your quote comes in at €5,000, then they can refuse to pay it. The work can be done cheaper, so legally there's no obligation on them to pay the higher figure.

Likewise, "pocketing the cost of the repairs" - they give you €2,000, but you have a mate who'll do the repair for €1,000. You've now profited €1,000, which is not what insurance is supposed to do.

Typically if the cost of the repairs is more than the economic value of the car, then the insurance company take ownership of the car and give you the money. I've never heard a scenario where the insurer gives you cash and leaves you with a broken car.

If you do think that the actual repairs will be more than the value of the vehicle, then ring the insurer back up and make that counter-offer; they write off the vehicle and give you the money.

I rang a main dealer, and they priced a bonnet and bumper (without grill, inserts, lights, etc.) at over a grand, unpainted and with no fitting. Add in the two light clusters, grille, sensors, etc. and I'd say you're spending about €1,500 - €1,600 before a person actually lifts a finger to do any actual work. I've googled and apparently airbag replacement can be over a grand in itself (unsure how much I believe that though, all US $ examples).

My car is worth €3,000 I'd say. Will surely be considered an economic write off. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

You won't get depreciation on any vehicle over 4 years old
    The maximum you will receive is the market value of the vehicle
    You can take a cash settlement for the repairs (net of VAT) at any figure up to the market value

Has that changed since 2013 ?
    Back then my son got an extra 10% on top of the damages claim for a 1994 Mini. Claim was against Allianz, if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Has that changed since 2013 ?
    Back then my son got an extra 10% on top of the damages claim for a 1994 Mini. Claim was against Allianz, if that makes a difference.

No, hasn't changed in many years. Having said that, Insurers sometimes classify allowing a little extra in a claim as depreciation if circumstances warrant it and to avoid a situation escalating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I rang a main dealer, and they priced a bonnet and bumper (without grill, inserts, lights, etc.) at over a grand, unpainted and with no fitting. Add in the two light clusters, grille, sensors, etc. and I'd say you're spending about €1,500 - €1,600 before a person actually lifts a finger to do any actual work. I've googled and apparently airbag replacement can be over a grand in itself (unsure how much I believe that though, all US $ examples).

My car is worth €3,000 I'd say. Will surely be considered an economic write off. :o

You can sometimes argue with an economic write-off decision depending on how far over it is. My car was borderline with an initial decision to write it off and I managed to persuade them to repair it.

seagull wrote: »
    You can sometimes argue with an economic write-off decision depending on how far over it is. My car was borderline with an initial decision to write it off and I managed to persuade them to repair it.

To be honest, I'm not overly fussed about which way that decision goes, but my concern is more that if they claim it's a 'write off' i'd rather get to keep it than give it up.

It's not the best yoke in the world, but I'd rather have it there and then I have a bit of time and breathing space to get another car, rather than having a loan car for a max of 2 weeks (as ive been told) and then have to go and buy a new car out of my own pocket whilst i wait for the insurance companies to have a think about the value of my car, and lowball me on it repeatedly.

All in all, the car i had, had a decent spec level, and I like the car itself. I'd prefer it was repaired the more I think about it, but unless it's being repaired by a single chap on minimum wage, I don't see how it'll not cost more than the car is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

To be honest, I'm not overly fussed about which way that decision goes, but my concern is more that if they claim it's a 'write off' i'd rather get to keep it than give it up.

It's not the best yoke in the world, but I'd rather have it there and then I have a bit of time and breathing space to get another car, rather than having a loan car for a max of 2 weeks (as ive been told) and then have to go and buy a new car out of my own pocket whilst i wait for the insurance companies to have a think about the value of my car, and lowball me on it repeatedly.

All in all, the car i had, had a decent spec level, and I like the car itself. I'd prefer it was repaired the more I think about it, but unless it's being repaired by a single chap on minimum wage, I don't see how it'll not cost more than the car is worth.
    I wrote my car off a few weeks back, category D so barely.
    I was offered the full market value of the car made up of salvage value, this was bid on by local salvage companies I was not involved,which I could take or leave and get it repaired myself and the balance minus my excess was paid to me.

My car had high mileage, was a few years old out if warranty and starting to give trouble. I too was worried about it popping up as crashed on websites so I took the salvage.

This was off my own insurer though it was relatively painless, until I go to renew next year and lose my NCB..

• Advertisement
Advertisement