Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typical late fee Charges?

Options
  • 06-11-2018 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

I get an accountant to do up tax affairs for myself and my wife,we are both PAYE workers and I have a small farming income.
    Circumstances have meant that we are only now able to get our stuff together to give to accountant to file 2017 tax return.
    Am fearful that it might mean that it will not be filed in time for the ROS deadline.
    What is the typical ‘late filing’ charge that Revenue might charge anyone in our situation?
    Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 spoiler

You have until the 14.11 to file and pay your 2017 return. If it is filed late it is subject to a 5% surcharge if filed within 2 months if more than 2 months late it is subject to a 10% surcharge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

[PHP][/PHP]
    spoiler wrote: »
    You have until the 14.11 to file and pay your 2017 return. If it is filed late it is subject to a 5% surcharge if filed within 2 months if more than 2 months late it is subject to a 10% surcharge.

Thanks for reply and the info.

spoiler wrote: »

Thanks for reply,so I take it that the two month deadline for late filing would be on 14/01/2019?
    Have most of Info together and sending it in to accountant later this week.
    How long of holidays typically do Revenue Commissioners Office take at Christmas?.....want to make sure I have it all processed to meet the two month deadline.

Asking these questions to all people viewing it,thanks for any replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Thanks for reply,so I take it that the two month deadline for late filing would be on 14/01/2019?
    Have most of Info together and sending it in to accountant later this week.
    How long of holidays typically do Revenue Commissioners Office take at Christmas?.....want to make sure I have it all processed to meet the two month deadline.

If you/your agent is filing through ROS, then it's worth remembering that the Revenue computer doesn't take any holidays over Christmas/New Year!

Squatter wrote: »
    If you/your agent is filing through ROS, then it's worth remembering that the Revenue computer doesn't take any holidays over Christmas/New Year!

So do you mean that once the accountant submits returns ROS accept it online without need for ‘human’ check of it?...
    Also am I correct that mid January would be cut off point for staying within the 5% charge for late filing within two months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

In the event that you file late the extended deadline of 14th November doesn’t apply and the due date reverts to 31 October so to be within the 2 months you must file by 31 December after that date it’s 10% you don’t get to the 14th of January.

ROS records the exact moment a return is filed to the minute and applies the filing date and any surcharge due accordingly. In a lot of cases there is no human interaction with the return.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

An investigation of your tax affairs may follow also, especially as you are a farmer. High risk area for tax evasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

So do you mean that once the accountant submits returns ROS accept it online without need for ‘human’ check of it?...

Also am I correct that mid January would be cut off point for staying within the 5% charge for late filing within two months?

1. Yep. (It comes as a surprise to many to learn that Revenue operates on the basis that people filing tax returns are telling the truth! They call this their "Presumption of Honesty" In layman's terms, their modus operandi is to trust taxpayers, then carry out random audits and throw the kitchen sink at people found not to have made an honest return! )

2. Nope - see Daxve's response above.

Thanks to all for the helpful replies.

Advertisement