Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent a Room Prices

Options
  • 31-03-2020 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Jesus, 600 for a room in D15 (!!!) while living with a landlord - what a rip off!
    It's expensive enough if it was a room in a shared house living only with other tenants but when a landlord lives there too this puts a massive strain on a renter who has virtually zero security of their tenancy. Hope the upcoming economic crisis will hit such landlords hard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,112 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Jesus, 600 for a room in D15 (!!!) while living with a landlord - what a rip off!
    It's expensive enough if it was a room in a shared house living only with other tenants but when a landlord lives there too this puts a massive strain on a renter who has virtually zero security of their tenancy. Hope the upcoming economic crisis will hit such landlords hard.

Would you get a room in shared house in Dublin including all bills for €150 pw? Even if rents drop, that might still be good value. Probably within walking distance to the Darr and if it’s a house, possibly parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

Dav010 wrote: »
    Would you get a room in shared house in Dublin including all bills for €150 pw? Even if rents drop, that might still be good value.

Two factors - the location and having my landlord next door - the price is way too high considering the fact that he/she could kick someone out for a bad breakfast smell or if I invite a girl over for a few hours.
    I am ok to pay such price to live with other tenants or pay even more but never such price when living with a landlord who can give me a slap when i leave a hair in the bathtub.

But who knows maybe the room has golden walls and a plasma tv with a free room service and breakfast in bed - then yeah, 600 is ok.

Two factors - the location and having my landlord next door - the price is way too high considering the fact that he/she could kick someone out for a bad breakfast smell or if I invite a girl over for a few hours.
    I am ok to pay such price to live with other tenants or pay even more but never such price when living with a landlord who can give me a slap when i leave a hair in the bathtub.

But who knows maybe the room has golden walls and a plasma tv with a free room service and breakfast in bed - then yeah, 600 is ok.

I would imagine homeowners are equally discerning about who they allow into their house. Do you get golden walls, plasma TVs and room service in tenant house shares for €600? I doubt it.

I would imagine homeowners are equally discerning about who they allow into their house. Do you get golden walls, plasma TVs and room service in tenant house shares for €600? I doubt it.

This is how normal people see the price chart of rented accommodation:

1. On top of the price ladder should be 1-2-3 bed apt/house. The relatively high price is justified as the tenant(s) enjoy 100% privacy, all amenities included, they feel like home, with or without a lease.

2. Then a lower price for a studio apt - still all the above applies but you feel cramped and looking at studios on Daft you can pretty much cook your dinner in the kitchen while sitting on the living room sofa. I can't believe when I see 5m square room fitted with a bathroom, kitchen, a double bed, even a table and chairs - landlords go bananas to change an old single room into a "studio".

3. Then a much lower price goes for an apt/house shared with other tenants - not ideal, 50% privacy, shared kitchen, sometimes bathroom, potential problems and disputes with other tenants but at least after 6 months you get some security of not being kicked out in the streets. Also the arrangements with housemates usually run smoothly and you (or the remaining tenants) can organise your replacement with no probs. Landlords rarely interfere unless it's something serious or a major repair is needed. That at least was my experience a few years back.

4. And here on the bottom chart should be a price for tenants living with their landlord - the good thing is that the house/apt is probably nice, but if you smile the wrong side of your face you get a notice from over-sensitive owner. No chance for a visitor, they give you chores, you can't use their cup or a pan, you can't lock your room, if you turn on an additional heating - you get a kick. I heard it all!

All the point 4 landlords (offering a room in their own house) who think they can obtain a price like in point 1, 2 or 3 are delusional and if they happened to get a high price thanks to the current market - Lucky Luke. Hope the tenants they get will discourage them from ripping off others.
    I know that they are decent landlords out there but the ones I have been reading about in this thread are the most worrying. Their bonanza time is now up and I look forward to hearing their sob stories of how tenants leave them high and dry.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Discussion of rent a room prices split into separate thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

600 seem very reasonsable I would say..

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

Generally speaking owner occupiers tend to look after their houses. I heard a lot of horror stories about conditions where you were a tenant sharing a house with others. 600 euro is reasonable if it's a double bedroom and it includes bills.

600 seem very reasonsable I would say..

This thread was cut and moved as the discussion topic went off a bit but I can reassure you that if you read what the landlords who rented out rooms in their houses were saying about their tenants and how they dispose them like trash and when they wish, you would not think that the price of 600 while living with a douche like that is reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

This is how normal people see the price chart of rented accommodation:

2. Then a lower price for a studio apt - still all the above applies but you feel cramped and looking at studios on Daft you can pretty much cook your dinner in the kitchen while sitting on the living room sofa. I can't believe when I see 5m square room fitted with a bathroom, kitchen, a double bed, even a table and chairs - landlords go bananas to change an old single room into a "studio".

So that would make me abnormal would it.

With the lowering price tiers, your breakdown would have the license LL letting people stay for practically free, when bills are taken into account

And as for point 2. With a single bed measuring 1.8m2 an old single room of 5m2 being converted into a studio by LLs is pure make believe. Unless of course they're using doll house furniture? :rolleyes:

Different people want and need different things from a rental. Many are very happy paying and having the freedom to leave a licencee rental, whilst trading off against the disadvantages (as you see them).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

This thread was cut and moved as the discussion topic went off a bit but I can reassure you that if you read what the landlords who rented out rooms in their houses were saying about their tenants and how they dispose them like trash and when they wish, you would not think that the price of 600 while living with a douche like that is reasonable.

The price is reasonable. How much should a tenant pay ?

• Advertisement

Licensees are guests, deciding that you no longer want someone living in your house isn’t disposing of them like trash. From the outset both parties know the benefits and drawbacks. Licensees can also leave without having to give notice, nor with consideration for the owner, when they please. In current circumstances that means they are not tied into statutory tenant notice periods. So the issue you find most objectionable, can be of most benefit to the licensee. Moving into a tenancy house share is also a risk, personally I wouldn’t appreciate hair left in the bath by a fellow tenant either. Unfortunately some licensees are douches as well, if you are unfortunate enough to share a tenancy with one, you might wish you were able to ask them to leave, in a tenancy you would be stuck with a douche, and vice versa.

ahh the bills - lets get real here. When I was sharing a 3-bed house a few years ago I paid E40 every month max - and that included a cable tv, internet, tv licence, bins and energy, we even had a petty cash for detergents. No gas. In the summer is was like E25 each. So not such a big deal when a rent includes bills.

What's more, if I lived with a landlord who turns on the heating on in the attic and basement 24/7 so his precious house doesnt get damaged in the winter or turns on an air con in the summer so he feels comfortable while he watches his fav TV channel in his living room on his own while I am stuck in my room - there is no way I would contribute to his bill. I bet there are some LLs in here who still ask their tenants to share the bills even though a tenant uses non of it or uses it by default.

I paid E40 every month max - and that included a cable tv, internet, tv licence, bins and energy, we even had a petty cash for detergents. No gas. In the summer is was like E25 each.

:eek:

€25/month for all that, you should be giving Martin Lewis tips on saving money.

ahh the bills - lets get real here. When I was sharing a 3-bed house a few years ago I paid E40 every month max - and that included a cable tv, internet, tv licence, bins and energy, we even had a petty cash for detergents. No gas. In the summer is was like E25 each. So not such a big deal when a rent includes bills.

What's more, if I lived with a landlord who turns on the heating on in the attic and basement 24/7 so his precious house dont get damaged in the winter or turns on an air con in the summer so he feels comfortable while he watches his fav TV channel in his living room on his own while I am stuck in my room - there is no way I would contribute to his bill. I bet there are some LLs in here who still ask their tenants to share the bills even though a tenant uses non of it or uses it by default.

That’s up to you to decide when you move in. I’ve got a basic sky Q package with sports and an extra box, that’s €85 pm. That alone would make up your €40. All the other costs you mention have risen in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭roper1664

Graham wrote: »
    :eek:

€25/month for all that, you should be giving Martin Lewis tips on saving money.

Yes, assuming no heating or other bills, then per Month: electricity at least 100e, internet and TV at least 60e, tv license 15e, bins 25e = 200e per Month. It must have been split 8 ways. Allegedly.

That’s up to you to decide when you move in. I’ve got a basic sky Q package with sports and an extra box, that’s €85 pm. That alone would make up your €40. All the other costs you mention have risen in recent years.

True.
    The landlord from the other thread had 2 tenants in his house and kicked them out one by one, leaving a girl on the street 2 weeks ago and another guy tomorrow, despite the new "no evictions" freeze. That's what got me going on this piece of $%@.
    Would you allow a tenant to decide if he wants to contribute to the bill or you would simply state that this is the bill so take it or leave?
    At the time we had a €45 cable tv, fairly decent number of channels so splitting the cost for all 3 was cheap.

True. The landlord from the other thread had 2 tenants in his house and kicked them out one by one, leaving a girl on the street 2 weeks ago and another guy tomorrow, despite the new "no evictions" freeze. That's what got me going on this piece of $%@.
    Would you allow a tenant to decide if he wants to contribute to the bill or you would simply state that this is the bill so take it or leave?
    At the time we had a €45 cable tv, fairly decent number of channels so splitting the cost for all 3 was cheap.

I think it will always be difficult to precisely apportion costs based on who uses what. An example of this in the current climate is, a licensee who works/is at home all day while the owner goes to work would mean that the licensee is using more electricity/bb/tv etc than the owner, at other times the opposite may occur. The licensee may cook more, have more rubbish etc, and so on. The simplest way to divide bills is by number of residents, it may not be perfect, but it is what you accept. The same argument could be made in a tenancy situation.

It’s not perfect, but neither is sharing a tenancy with a douche who has an equal right to be there as you do and could make your life hell. Owner shares may not be for everyone, but you have to accept it does have advantages. I suspect most owner occupied houses have better furnishings and appliances and repairs are instant if they also effect the owner. Some people like to know that a flat rate includes everything, no nasty electric/gas bills when you are short of money etc.

But getting back to the thread topic, I think your €40 bill amount pm is unrealistic, utilities cost more than you remember, €600 does not seem extortionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

Jesus, 600 for a room in D15 (!!!)

Dublin 15 is a huge area. It's a postal district. The houses facilities and neighborhoods within it vary enormously.

Parts of it have big 4&5 bedroomed detached houses all valued at well in excess of €1m. In other parts of Dublin 15 there are houses for sale for less than €200K

Some parts of Dublin 15 are in Clonee Co Meath, while others are just outside the city, near the gates of the Phoenix park.

In some parts you'd feel threatened just driving through it during the day. I shudder to think what it's like there at night.

Some have bus and train stops on their door, others have no trains and a long walk to the bus stop. Another important point is whether shops, businesses and other facilities within walking distance or not

A bland statement that €600 for a room in Dublin 15 is too high, without any further qualification, as to its location within that postal area, is meaningless.

The market will decide in the end. If the resident landlord is charging more than the market can bear, then he won't get ant tenants and will have to reduce the rent if he wants to let the room.

But getting back to the thread topic, I think your €40 bill amount pm is unrealistic, utilities cost more than you remember, €600 does not seem extortionate.

I am serious about the bills, I was living in Sandymount for 8 years, 3 bed house sharing with 2 other tenants at the time. The electricity was coming on the name of a previous tenant who moved out ages ago and we simply continued paying the bill by splitting it in 3. When the house got sold we moved out and I rang ESB, explained the situation and wanted to close the account but dont know if they actually close it as I wasn't the account owner.
    There was no arguments between tenants like "i wasn't at home all July so I shouldn't pay". Also, we never subscribed to anything that wasn't essential and I guess if we did it would have to be agreed with all 3 of us. Every bill that came we divided equally in 3. Obviously we didn't overuse the heating like crazy cos we would end up with more expenses, but all of us never felt cold, not that i am aware of, we had a storage heating in the living room and individual smaller electric heaters in our rooms. I had an en suite so electric shower but my 2 other housemates shared a bathroom with a "boiler thing" so if they wanted to have a hot water they had to turn it on for 15-20 mins. All worked out great, no complains. The E40 was seriously an average monthly winter bill up to mid 2017 when i moved to a studio in Ranelagh. Now on average I pay E70 for energy every 2 months, while in the summer it drops to E40 every second month. Bins are included. Internet 20 a month, have a TV with like 10 free channels (no license though).
    Funny but nobody has ever questioned me about the bills before so I always thought that it's a norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

True.
    The landlord from the other thread had 2 tenants in his house and kicked them out one by one, leaving a girl on the street 2 weeks ago and another guy tomorrow, despite the new "no evictions" freeze. That's what got me going on this piece of $%@.

That owner gave both tenants ample time to seek alternative accommodation meanwhile his lodgers continued to jeopardise theirs and the landlord's health and safety by not observing the guidelines for personal and domestic health and safety during this difficult time.

I'm also pretty sure it was the same landlord who had personal property stolen from their home by a lodger or their associates.

Your bill figures are so totally out of touch for bills in 2020 it is frightening.

• Advertisement

<SNIP>

Caranica wrote: »

Your bill figures are so totally out of touch for bills in 2020 it is frightening.

Frightening?? Haha, I would say fantastically great! Looks like I am doing something right. But thanks, I take your comment as a compliment.

How convenient to remove tenants because a landlord is afraid to live with others now - ridiculous and even more outrageous than i initially thought. All of a sudden he comes up with the "they stole from me too" tale to give weight to his claims while looking for a reassurance from other landlords in here.
    I wish we could hear from the 2 tenants that he kicked out to get the full story!

Frightening?? Haha, I would say fantastically great! Looks like I am doing something right. But thanks, I take your comment as a compliment.

Nothing convenient about Covid19, and I can’t think of a more valid reason for not wanting others in your house right now.

Nothing convenient about Covid19, and I can’t think of a more valid reason for not wanting others in your house right now.

Covid-19 can not become a reason for mass evictions. I think that is clear after what Leo said 5 days ago..

Mod

Curious1002, this thread was split out when you started dragging the previous one off-topic. Please don't do the same to this one.

Any further posts have a dig at a particular user will not end well.

Graham wrote: »
    Mod

Curious1002, this thread was split out when you started dragging the previous one off-topic. Please don't do the same to this one.

Any further posts have a dig at a particular user will not end well.

Understood. I will put it to rest now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

True.

I think you are referring to me.
    Some perspective here is required.
    • The girl was given 2 weeks notice, the eviction ban was only for tenancies and not for licenses. She found another place after just 1 week and was given back full deposit plus days not used
    • The guy was given notice in January and was extended to 1st April because he couldn't find a house that he liked. Eventually he is moving back in with his family as it's too late now to do viewings. All this time he never had to pay for deposit, I took him on the ground that i knew his family in the neighborough
    You don't need to have a go at me if you had a bad experience with previous LLs

600 per month included

• Virgin media = 60 euro per month
    • Electricity = 90 every 2 months
    • Gas = 50 to 150 every 2 months
    • Bin collection = 10 per month
    All the below was provided free of charge
    • cleaning products
    • washing up
    • dish washer tablets
    • bin bags
    On top of that i cleaned the house for everybody, including bathrooms, to hotel standards.
    You wish you had all of this for 600!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Included cleaning as well to hotel standards, Jasus thats not bad:D
    might move in when this virus is over meself mic:cool:

Included cleaning as well to hotel standards, Jasus thats not bad:D
    might move in when this virus is over meself mic:cool:

Too late for that ! I'm think i'm done with renting rooms for a while :-)
    Today, first time i have the house to myself in 5 years, YAYY!

• Advertisement
Advertisement