Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Apartments

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Idbatterim wrote: »
    how were apartments more attractive? :rolleyes:

Ill contemplate going homeless before I will end up in an apartment here again!

Low/no maintenance. Often more centrally located. Lower price than houses (historically anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Graham wrote: »
    Low/no maintenance. Often more centrally located. Lower price than houses (historically anyway).

let me tell you about the apartment I moved out of now long ago, disgraceful communal areas you had to walk to , to get up to your apartment, first floor, so no point taking lift. Ridiculous management fees, in keeping with the rip off of everything here. Endless issues, roof leaking, basement car park often flooded. I have also had these issues in "luxury" apartments here... Gutters over flowing.

you could hear the neighbours every direction again I have lived in enough apartments in dublin, this isnt one experience. oh, then fire related issues, where they had to vacate the block for nearly a year. The build quality here is generally appalling and the biggest issue, the authorities are FCUKING useless, nobody will do anything about anti social tenants or behaviour! I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Think it really depends on what you value but I could never seen myself in an apartment but that’s ok, not everyone needs to live in a city centre the same way not everyone needs a detached 6 bedroom with en-suites with walk-in wardrobes. I know not every apartment is like this but worse case you share a wall/ceiling/floor with left, right, up and down that’s four shared surfaces. With a house worst case is left and right with a terraced house. There’s another thread here where someone’s apartment neighbour is smoking in their apartment and it’s coming through to their space, absolutely vile.

The same positive/negatives mentioned already apply i.e. no garden, lack of space, some people really under estimate the space a baby takes up, imagine having to trek a buggy/car seat up and down if the elevators aren’t maintained (which at a cursory glance over the last few years here on this forum does happen).

oh I forgot to mention, ENDLESS banging doors from apartments and the communal doors!

Think it really depends on what you value but I could never seen myself in an apartment but that’s ok, not everyone needs to live in a city centre the same way not everyone needs a detached 6 bedroom with en-suites with walk-in wardrobes. I know not every apartment is like this but worse case you share a wall/ceiling/floor with left, right, up and down that’s four shared surfaces. With a house worst case is left and right with a terraced house. There’s another thread here where someone’s apartment neighbour is smoking in their apartment and it’s coming through to their space, absolutely vile.

The same positive/negatives mentioned already apply i.e. no garden, lack of space, some people really under estimate the space a baby takes up, imagine having to trek a buggy/car seat up and down if the elevators aren’t maintained (which at a cursory glance over the last few years here on this forum does happen).

Not all apartments are bad. some have their place. But if the OP has the option of a house and waiting it out, there is no doubt in my mind, what I would be doing...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Sounds like you've had some bad luck with your apartments there Idbatterim.

My experience in 3 separate apartments couldn't have been more different. Only downside I can think of was the bedrooms were tiny in the first apartment.

Advertisement