Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling in sick on last day

Options
  • 12-12-2018 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

So tomorrow is my last day at work and have been up all night sick (living abroad so it’s the middle of the night here). Going in isn’t an option so this may be a moot question anyway but....how badly would it be looked upon to call in sick on my last day? I feel like they will think I’m just bunking off because I’m quitting anyway but that’s not the case :(

Also, would this be something they’d bring up if asked for a reference from a future employer?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

If you are sick, you're sick but if you were due to do some handovers with other members of staff I'd suggest to them that you'd come in to do that another day in the not-too-distant future when you are better. Feel better!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

miamee wrote: »
    If you are sick, you're sick but if you were due to do some handovers with other members of staff I'd suggest to them that you'd come in to do that another day in the not-too-distant future when you are better. Feel better!

Nope, no handovers or anything like that. All I need to do is hand in my ID badge, which I can do as soon as I’m up and about again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Well then, they should cope fine without you. I doubt they would appreciate you coming in spreading whatever you have :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

To answer your question it looks very bad.

Could you come in when you're better, i.e. delay the last working day?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

They are unlikely to sack you :-) - if you are sick you are sick. Hand in the badge the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Why not go in 1st thing, drop the badge at reception and leave a message saying you're not well. If you're too sick, could somebody drop you?

At least you then showed your face so they can't think badly about you. Up to how feel, if you don't care, don't bother..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I don't get this. If you are genuinely sick then you can't attend work (even for appearances to hand in your badge) no matter if it is the last day. It's just a very unfortunate timing. Do phone (don't text!!) your manager and explain it. The sincerity will surely come across as you speak to them. If you have an established positive relationship with them, they will know that you are genuine. It you have a poor relationship with them, what you do or don't do on your last day won't make a blind bit of difference. A reference (any company that still gives personal ones these days is rare) is not going to demonize you for not turning up on your last day if your previous months and years there were exemplary.

Why posters would suggest a person that is so sick they can't work on their last day (they would have to be really ill to consider not coming in to work) to still get up (possibly face a commute) and turn up to drop off a work ID for appearances is beyond me!! The manager would probably then question why you were "well enough" to hand in the ID but not to work....

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Depends if you want a reference, or ever might want to come back (don't rule it out unless you absolutely detest the place).

I always try to finish on good terms so I'd be definitely one for saying "I'll come in next week and do the handover", you never know when you'll need these people again.

Don't burn bridges if you can at all.

Advertisement