Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suck it up or stand up for myself ?

Options
  • 11-12-2018 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

So I work nights in a hotel and I am part of a team of four , one is really just there to cover days off and holidays which suits him as he has another job which leaves three of us.

We all get along great and never have a problem , There is only one problem caused by management and it is holidays , over the summer and throughout the year I have covered at least 12 weeks of holidays along with our casual guy. I decided that since I am expecting our second child in January I will take a month off I saved the hours by pretty much working non stop and not using any holiday hours since we found out about the pregnancy.

I have accumulated 70 hours so far and I have it worked out how I will space them , I talked to my general manager who said it was no problem they will work it out and to just email him and my own manager ( hmanager below him ) with dates etc so I did.

A week goes by and my manager says that she won’t give me the time off as no one else has taken that much time off and it wouldn’t be fair my problem is that they have and they have done it in our busiest times where as I know from past experience that the place will be a ghost town in January and could run with just one person there a night. I sucked it up and agreed I would take three weeks.

I wasn’t complaining until I found out that she then gave one of the other guys a month off the day after I come back in February , I am at a loss with what to do here , am I being unreasonable in whining about this ? One lad is given a week every single month off for personal reasons and that’s fine but now I’m beginning to think I should just refuse to work those weeks as it seems unfair.

Any one any advice ? Sorry I realize it’s a long post and terrible grammar but I appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭NSAman

Not sure how close the 2nd is to being born, would it be possible to take the 2 weeks leave and coincide with the little ones birth and then go on paternity?..;)

Still have two weeks after that also.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Deathbytaxes

NSAman wrote: »
    Not sure how close the 2nd is to being born, would it be possible to take the 2 weeks leave and coincide with the little ones birth and then go on paternity?..;)

Still have two weeks after that also.....

My understanding is that they don’t have to sign off on paternity am I wrong in thinking this ? I am actually considering leaving as I just seem to getting walked over and if I do leave I have the holiday hours and paternity pay until I find a new job, not ideal to be unemployed at this time though so I am torn.
    It’s not just the time off issue it’s other issues too making me feel this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

They treated you differently because you were pregnant? That's a massive lawsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Deathbytaxes

Zenify wrote: »
    They treated you differently because you were pregnant? That's a massive lawsuit.

Sorry I’m not pregnant, my partner is. Should have said we are expecting a baby instead of me.

Advertisement