Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ligue 1 Superthread 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭- bo -

Nice to come on here after a win finally! I only got to see from 15 minutes in our match until half time unfortunately. I'll catch up with the highlights today. What I did see was a very open game though. Reims at home next and a great chance to really push on. From some lads I know, Boschilia was impressive again when he came on, and I'm really liking the look of Lucas Evagelista. Took the goal really well too.
    martyos121 wrote: »
    Ah, good old Ligue 1 never fails to deliver. That was a great game, first one I’ve had the chance to watch this season. The bar is set pretty high now. :)

The Sunday night games always seem to end up being absolute crackers!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Full-Time and Marseille win 3-2. Great game. Marseille led 1-0, Monaco turned it around to lead 2-1 and then Marseille came back to win 3-2.

Thauvin was the difference maker. He provided a goal and an assist when he came on for the last half-hour. Good debut from Strootman who was solid.

I feel Monaco are in a transition phase at the minute. They've a lot of new faces and Jardim still has to figure out his best team. Haven't got to see Golovin yet either. I think they'll be okay domestically in the long run but I'd worry for them in the Champions League against more settled sides.

What are your thoughts on Lyon this year ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

rekluse wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on Lyon this year ?

I expected better from them really. They were the team that excited me the most before the season but they were poor away to Reims and deservedly lost. Losing to Nice at home was another bad result, although Nice's keeper Benitez had a fantastic game.

Ferland Mendy I'd say has been their best performer so far. Ndombele looks like he'll have another strong season. Depay and Traore have had some nice moments. Signing Denayer looks good business, while Dembele should help them score more goals. Fekir is getting back to full fitness also which will be a big boost. I expect them to finish second in the league and if things click for them I think they could do exciting things in Europe too. Just not convinced Bruno Genesio is the right man to get the best out of them.

I expected better from them really. They were the team that excited me the most before the season but they were poor away to Reims and deservedly lost. Losing to Nice at home was another bad result, although Nice's keeper Benitez had a fantastic game.

Ferland Mendy I'd say has been their best performer so far. Ndombele looks like he'll have another strong season. Depay and Traore have had some nice moments. Signing Denayer looks good business, while Dembele should help them score more goals. Fekir is getting back to full fitness also which will be a big boost. I expect them to finish second in the league and if things click for them I think they could do exciting things in Europe too. Just not convinced Bruno Genesio is the right man to get the best out of them.

Cheers - have backed them to finish top 3 in an ante post accumulator that has started pretty well , so good to hear that you have high hopes from them !

PSG vs Saint-Etienne is coming up at 7.45 on BT Sport ESPN. Team news:
    PSG XI: Areola; Meunier, Silva, Kimpembe, Bernat; Diarra, Verratti, Rabiot; Di Maria, Cavani, Draxler.

Saint-Etienne XI: Ruffier; Kolodziejczak, Perrin, Subotic, Silva; M’Vila, Selnaes; Salibur, Khazri, Monnet-Paquet; Diony.

Pity there's no Mbappe or Neymar but I had a feeling Tuchel would rest them after the international games. Chance for Cavani to catch up with them in the scoring charts. Nice to see Verratti back as well.

I think it will be tough for Saint-Etienne whose last two games have been goalless draws. I don't see them posing much of a threat, although I like Khazri.

I'll go for a 3-0 PSG win.

Nice vs Rennes kicked off earlier and Rennes are leading 1-0. Could be another setback coming for Vieira after an impressive win away to Lyon before the international break. Twenty minutes left to turn it around.

• Advertisement

Nice vs Rennes kicked off earlier and Rennes are leading 1-0. Could be another setback coming for Vieira after an impressive win away to Lyon before the international break. Twenty minutes left to turn it around.

And they turned it around. Two goals in the last 15 minutes from Saint-Maximin and Lees-Melou give Vieira's side their second straight win.

PSG lead 1-0 from a header by Draxler. Lovely assist from Verratti. Saint-Etienne were playing well before that and had decent chances to score. Wonder if they'll crumble now.

Half-Time: Not a particularly impressive half from the home side. Verratti's involvement in the goal was great but he looks rusty and has had some wayward passes. Rabiot has looked good, although he was booked for a silly dive. Cavani's not had much service and Di Maria has had little involvement. I've been impressed with Saint-Etienne's midfield, particularly Yann M'Vila, while Khazri and Salibur have posed problems. Too many rash shots from long range though.

Goal: Cavani makes it 2-0 from the spot after Perrin had fouled him inside the box. Hard to see any way back for Les Verts now.

Goal: It's 3-0 after Di Maria smashes into the top corner from close range. Result made safe now.

Goal: Moussa Diaby gets his first goal as PSG make it 4-0.

All over and PSG win it 4-0. Paris were much improved in the second half and Di Maria and Draxler looked impressive. Rabiot did well in midfield too.

The scoreline flatters them somewhat though as Saint-Etienne had plenty of chances, especially in the first half, and I think a better side would punish them. I don't think Liverpool should have fear ahead of the Champions League game. A particular concern would be Bernat at LB who I thought was very disappointing this evening. If he plays against Liverpool the way he played tonight, Salah will tear him a new asshole.

Toulouse vs Monaco is the game tomorrow at 7pm on BT Sport Extra 2. Looking forward to that. Toulouse have won 3 games on the spin whereas Monaco haven't won a game since the opening day. Jardim really needs a win.

Caen have held Lyon to a 2-2 draw in the early game which sounds like it was eventful as Caen had two players sent off. Fekir was on the scoresheet for Lyon too. Genesio's side dropping too many points so far. Wonder if Jardim will also drop points today. Here are the teams for Monaco's clash with Toulouse, live from 7pm:
    Toulouse XI: Reynet; Amian, Fortes, Julien, Moubandje; Sangare, Bostock; Dossevi, Garcia, Gradel; Sanogo.

Monaco XI: Benaglio; Sidibe, Glik, Jemerson, Henrichs; Aholou, Ait Bennasser; Diop, Tielemans, Chadli; Sylla.

England's John Bostock involved for Toulouse. Gradel has been in great form for them. No Falcao for Monaco as he's suffering from gastroenteritis apparently.

I'll go for Monaco to edge it. They need to start putting points on the board.

Half-Time scores:
    Amiens 0-1 Lille
    Dijon 1-3 Angers
    Montpellier 0-0 Strasbourg
    Toulouse 0-0 Monaco

Only caught the last 15 minutes of the Toulouse/Monaco game but the home side are looking dangerous. Didn't see Jardim's side offering much.

Dijon, having had 3 opening wins, now looking at a second straight loss. Nicolas Pepe meanwhile has scored for Lille against Amiens from the spot. One of the best talents in the league.

• Advertisement

Peach of a strike from Tielemans to put Monaco in front. Came off the underside of the crossbar and crossed the line.

https://twitter.com/histoireasm/status/1041044229156429829

1-1! Leya Iseka with the equaliser, slotting it between Benaglio's legs. They deserve it. Ten minutes left for Monaco to avoid dropping more points.

Half-Time scores:

Nicolas Pepe meanwhile has scored for Lille against Amiens from the spot. One of the best talents in the league.

He's now got a hat-trick. How has nobody come in for this guy yet, especially since Lille's finances are all over the place so he'd probably go for relatively little. Somebody sign this man!

Lyon **** the bed again. Early days but have a feeling they gonna dog me on a decent ante post bet. Did you catch the game nice guy ?

rekluse wrote: »
    Lyon **** the bed again. Early days but have a feeling they gonna dog me on a decent ante post bet. Did you catch the game nice guy ?

Didn't see the game, no. I was surprised by the scoreline. Just after watching Monaco drop points to Toulouse though and they're looking like they'll struggle for a top 3 finish the way they're going.

All this evening's scores:
    Amiens 2-3 Lille
    Dijon 1-3 Angers
    Montpellier 1-1 Strasbourg
    Toulouse 1-1 Monaco

Amiens vs Lille sounds like it was a cracker. Lille were leading 3-0 thanks to Nicolas Pepe's hat-trick but Amiens pulled two goals back in the last ten minutes and also had a penalty saved. Strasbourg managed a point thanks to an equaliser from Lebo Mothiba in the last seconds.

Nantes vs Reims, Bordeaux vs Nimes and Marseille vs Guingamp are the matches tomorrow.

Team news for Nantes vs Reims which kicks off at 2pm on BT Sport 3:
    Nantes XI: Tatarusanu; Kwateng, Miazga, Diego Carlos, Lima; Mouttousamy, Krhin; Evangelista, Waris, Rongier; Emiliano Sala.

Reims XI: Mendy; Foket, Abdelhamid, Engels, Konan; Cafaro, Romao, Chavalerin, Doumbia; Chavarria, Oudin.

Nantes are worth a watch this season. Their new Portuguese coach Miguel Cardoso wants them playing attacking, possession-based football. They've actually got the best possession stats at home of any side in Ligue 1 thus far, even ahead of PSG. Their midfielder Rongier impressed me the last game I saw. Also their defender Miazga is on loan from Chelsea and got into a bit of bother on international duty with America when he mocked a Mexican opponent's height.

Reims have gone off the boil after a positive start to the season but I like their LB Konan who does well in attack, and their wide player Doumbia is also exciting to watch. Their striker Chavarria is a threat too and they'll likely be relying on quick counter-attacks to get anything from the game.

I'll go for a home win.

Update: 0-0 at the break. Nantes unsurprisingly with more of the ball and the better chances but unable to find the breakthrough. Miazga went close with a header while a few crosses in the box have threatened. Lucas Evangelista and Moutoussamy are looking good in midfield. Would like to see Kwateng do better at RB. For Reims, Chavarria has worked hard with little service. There have been decent counter options for Reims but they haven't made the most of them.

Final Score: It ends 0-0. Entertaining enough game despite it being goalless. Nantes knocked it about well but lacked a cutting edge in the final third. I thought their subs Limbombe, Coulibaly and Boschilia made them look more threatening. Reims defended well and their defenders Foket and Engels impressed. Liverpool loanee Sheyi Ojo came on late on and did well and probably should have won a penalty. Draw a fair result in the end.

Bordeaux vs Nimes next up. Teams:
    Bordeaux XI: Costil; Palencia, Kounde, Lewczuk, Poundje; Lerager, Plasil, Sankhare; Kalu, Briand, Kamano.

Nimes XI: Bernardoni; Alakouch, Briancon, Lybohy, Miguel; Thioub, Valls, Bobichon, Ripart; Bozok, Guillaume.

Kamano is an exciting talent for Bordeaux; Thioub and Ripart likewise for Nimes.

I'll go for Bordeaux to win but I can see Nimes causing some problems.

Update: 1-0 Bordeaux. Jimmy Briand with a nice finish in off the post after a good through ball from Sankhare.

Goal: equaliser for Nimes as Bozok's low cross is turned in by Guillaume. Entertaining half so far.

Goal: 2-1 Nimes! Superb free-kick from Bobichon turns the game around just before half-time.

Half-Time: Nimes lead at the break and threaten to spoil the return of Bordeaux's new coach, Ricardo. Nimes have been great entertainment this season.

Update: 2-2! Briand grabs his second after good work from RB Palencia. Bordeaux have started the half well.

Goal: KALUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. Bordeaux take the lead via Kalu with a great low strike in off the post. What a game!

Goal: Bozok scores for Nimes! 3-3! Nimes deserve it as Bordeaux have been very wasteful. Costil just keeps hoofing it long and that's playing into Nimes' hands as they're winning the aerial duels at the minute. Still over ten minutes to go.

Full-Time: It ends 3-3. I think that's a fair result. Both sides deserved something. Really enjoyable game. Kalu looks a good prospect for Bordeaux. Sankhare and Briand did well for them too. For Reims, Bobichon and Bozok impressed.

Marseille vs Guingamp coming up on BT Sport 1 from 8. Team news:
    Marseille XI: Pele - Sakai, Rami, Luiz Gustavo, Amavi – Sanson, Strootman – Thauvin, Payet, Ocampos - Mitroglou.

Guingamp XI: Johnsson – Ikoko, Sorbon, Kerbrat, Eboa Eboa – Phiri, Fofana, Didot – Benezet, Roux, Thuram.

Guingamp are the only Ligue 1 team without a point and I don't see that changing this evening as Marseille are coming off an impressive 3-2 win away to Monaco before the international break.

Good to see Thauvin back in the starting line-up. Guingamp's best hope will likely come from Marcus Thuram, son of Lilian Thuram, although Nolan Roux has goals in him too.

Hoping for a few goals here. I'll go for a 3-1 Marseille win.

Half-Time: 0-0 at the break and no sign of goals so far. Guingamp have been well organised and Marseille have struggled to break them down. Thauvin has looked the most likely to conjure up something. Guingamp have had some decent moments on the counter. Thuram has looked lively. Would like to see Marseille up the tempo in the second half as they've been plodding and static when in possession. Bouna Sarr's pace might be useful off the bench.

Update: GOAL! Thauvin at it again and heads Marseille in front. Marseille should already be ahead but Mitroglou headed over with a terrible miss when the goal was gaping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Wow, what a goal from Payet. Just brilliant.

• Advertisement

PAYEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

What a goal!

https://twitter.com/El_Magiico/status/1041426602079531008

THAUVIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNN

What a man and another beaut!

https://twitter.com/rgomesrodrigues/status/1041429205760847872

And Mitroglou makes it 4-0 following a Payet assist. Guingamp did well for about an hour or so but have been blown away since.

Full-Time and Marseille win 4-0 to go second. After a poor first half they turned on the style in the second. Some great goals including a goal of the season contender from Payet. Thauvin and Payet are a joy to watch this year. Another great Sunday evening game from Ligue 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭- bo -

Only got to see the last 15 minutes of Nantes-Reims yesterday. Blessed at the end, that penalty shout was a stonewaller and I cannot believe it didn't go to VAR.

Monaco vs Nimes kicks off at 7.45 on BT Sport 3. Looking forward to this one.

Jardim's side have just 1 win from their first 5 games so desperately need a victory, while promoted side Nimes are so far this season averaging 3.8 goals per game. Hopefully that means plenty of entertainment on the way. Team news:
    Monaco XI: Benaglio; A.Traore, Glik, Raggi, Barreca; Ndoram, Ait-Bennasser; Mboula, Tielemans, Diop; Falcao.

Nimes XI: Bernardoni; Alakouch, Lybohy, Briancon, Paquiez; Thioub, Valls, Bobichon, Ripart; Bozok, Guillaume.

Golovin is on the bench for Monaco and could make his first appearance of the season. Hope to see him soon as I'm eager to see if he can carry on his impressive form from the World Cup. Monaco have rested quite a few key players with Jemerson, Chadli and Grandsir also on the bench. The team picked to start doesn't look that great to me.

Nimes meanwhile pack a big goal threat out wide with Thioub and Ripart exciting talents. Bozok and Guillaume are a solid strike force, while Bobichon is good at set pieces. Their defending leaves a lot to be desired, though keeper Bernardoni is talented.

I can see Nimes causing a scare but Monaco's bench ultimately getting them the win. Another Nimes goal-fest would be nice.

Nimes lead!

Lovely free-kick cross from Bobichon and defender Briancon heads home. Visitors deserve to be in front.

Update: Falcao equalises via the help of a deflection.

Half-Time: 1-1 at the break. Bernardoni's been the busier keeper but Monaco not at their best. Diop has lost the ball a few times. Might need Grandsir, Chadli or Golovin to come on and provide a spark. Nimes started well but have fallen back since they scored.

Big chance: So close from Falcao, hitting the crossbar from a few yards out.

Another big chance: Substitutes Grandsir and Sylla combine well but Sylla puts it over from a few yards out. Golovin has also come on for his Monaco debut. Around 10 minutes left.

Full-Time and it ends 1-1. Another disappointing result for Monaco, especially with their rivals Lyon and Marseille playing each other on Sunday. Monaco had the chances to win it but were wasteful, as well as Bernardoni making good stops. I think Nimes deserved something from the game as they worked Benaglio at times from their set-pieces. Golovin looked bright when he came on.

Saint-Etienne vs Caen the live game on BT Sport tomorrow evening.

Saturday results:
    Lille 2-1 Nantes
    Angers 0-0 Toulouse
    Montpellier 1-0 Nice
    Reims 0-0 Dijon
    Saint-Etienne 2-1 Caen
    Strasbourg 3-1 Amiens

I watched the St Etienne vs Caen game which was decent. Ruffier, a keeper I'm a big fan of, had a shocking howler that led to Caen's goal, letting a long range effort spill under him. They turned it around via a penalty and a scruffy goal-mouth scramble. I thought they deserved the win. Cabella looked good.

In the other games, Lille have gone second for the moment with their win. Big change in fortune for them from last season. Toulouse currently fourth despite their stalemate. A poor result for Patrick Vieira after Nice seemed to have turned a corner the last few games; Montpellier are up to third and their strong defence from last season seems to be intact as they have only conceded 4 goals so far. Dijon will be disappointed with that goalless draw and Reims continue to struggle to score, having only managed 3 goals. Impressive win for Strasbourg as Amiens look in trouble.

Some interesting games on offer Sunday: Rennes vs PSG from 2pm, and I'm really keen to see how Ismaila Sarr and Benjamin Bourigeaud fare in that; then from 4pm it's a battle of the bottom teams as 19th place Bordeaux host last-place Guingamp who have yet to get any points thus far.

And then the one I've been looking forward to all weekend: Lyon vs Marseille in the evening game from 8pm. I expect these two to be battling it out for second and third place this season. Lyon should be in better spirits after their super win over Man City, while Marseille suffered a very disappointing home loss to Eintracht Frankfurt in the Europa League. Fekir vs Payet, Depay vs Thauvin, Ndombele vs Strootman. Can't wait.

• Advertisement

Rennes vs PSG just kicked off. Team news:
    Rennes XI: Koubek; Traore, Mexer, Da Silva, Bensebaini; Grenier, Andre, Lea-Siliki; Bourigeaud, Niang, Sarr.

PSG XI: Buffon; Meunier, Marquinhos, Kimpembe, Bernat; Rabiot, Verratti; Draxler, Neymar, Di Maria; Cavani.

Ni Mbappe. Ben Arfa on the bench - hope to see him against his former side at some point. Been a solid start for Rennes.

Advertisement