Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ligue 1 Superthread 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ripart! And he's ripped apart Marseille here. 3-1 to Nimes as he outmuscles Amavi and new signing Caleta-Car.

And it's deserved. Great stuff from the promoted side.

Full-Time and Nimes have beaten Marseille 3-1. So much for my prediction but I got the scoreline right at least!

Nimes were excellent and worthy of the win. Bouanga, Thioub and Ripart were a big threat and worked their socks off. Right-back Alakouch also gave Ocampos nothing in the game. Nimes look like they will be great entertainment value this season. They also came back from 3-1 down to win 4-3 last week - and that was with 10 men.

Marseille can have a legitimate complaint about not getting a penalty. There was shirt-pulling on two occasions and I don't know why VAR didn't flag it up. They didn't deserve anything on overall play though, and they created little. Sakai and Caleta-Car were given a torrid time. I think they really need to get a striker in before the window closes.

Must say the two promoted sides have been a breath of fresh air with how they've started the campaign.

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1032224223937409026

Seems like this may well happen after all. Very interesting prospect if so, Vieira and Henry coaching in the same league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Interested to see how he gets on.

Lyon vs Strasbourg is tonight's game on BT Sport 3. Lyon are looking to bounce back after losing to promoted side Reims 1-0, while Strasbourg have had a good start to the season with 4 points from 6. Kick-off is at 7:45. Teams:
    Lyon XI: Lopes; Rafael, Marcelo, Morel, Mendy; Ndombele, Tousart, Diop; B.Traore, Terrier, Depay.

Strasbourg XI: Sels; Lala, Kone, Mitrovic, Carole; Jonas Martin, Sissoko; Thomasson, Goncalves, Caci; Da Costa.

Martin Terrier starts for Lyon against the team where he had a very successful loan spell last season. Lopes also back in goal for them which is a boost. Interestingly Rafael starts at RB over Dubois who hasn't had the best beginning to his Lyon career. Fekir is on the bench as is new signing Denayer. Looks like Depay is up top on his own which is where he impressed often last season, so keen to see if he can get another goal tonight.

Strasbourg keeper Sels was signed from Newcastle and is said to be a good talent. He should be tested plenty tonight. Young midfielder Ibrahima Sissoko had a good game against Bordeaux on the opening day and I'm looking forward to seeing how he gets on in midfield.

I'll go for a 2-0 Lyon win.

• Advertisement

1-0 Lyon. Nice goal from Terrier to open the deadlock against his old club. Lyon fortunate to be ahead as they've been poor and Strasbourg have had the better chances.

Update: 1-0 Lyon at Half-Time. Strasbourg have played well; Lyon have been really poor, misplacing passes all over the shop. Traore and Morel being big culprits. Ndombele probably Lyon's best player. Depay hasn't offered much in attack as Mitrovic has dealt with him well. Strasbourg though lucky to not have Thomasson sent off for a high challenge on Morel. I think the ref's had a bad game.

2-0 Lyon. Traore was poor in the first half but that's a lovely goal from him. Depay with the assist and Traore shows great composure to stick it in the back of the net. Tough for Strasbourg to come back from this.

https://twitter.com/kmlyonnais/status/1033085443028463622

Full-Time: The game ends 2-0 to Lyon. Much improved performance from the home side in the second half. Depay and Mendy impressed as did Ndombele. Fekir entered late on to a great reception. Strasbourg struggled to create enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,706 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Poor start for Viera at Nice, hammered 4-0 at home to Dijon today.

Saturday results:
    PSG 3-1 Angers
    Amiens 4-1 Reims
    Montpellier 0-0 Saint-Etienne
    Nantes 1-1 Caen
    Nice 0-4 Dijon
    Toulouse 1-0 Nimes

Shocking result for Vieira. They were only a goal down up until the 83rd minute and it seems like they completely collapsed at the end. It doesn't get any easier for him as Nice are away to Lyon next Friday.

Disappointing results for the promoted sides after their good start. Reims were reduced to ten men in the first half and went on to concede 3 goals in the second half. Nimes lost to a Gradel penalty late on.

Cavani, Mbappe and Neymar scored all of PSG's goals. Seems like Tuchel went with a 3-4-3 with Marquinhos in central midfield which is interesting.

Tomorrow's games are Lille vs Guingamp at 1pm, Bordeaux vs Monaco at 4pm and an evening game of Marseille vs Rennes at 8pm.

Bordeaux beat Monaco 2-1 earlier in a great game. Bordeaux were the better side but missed chances. They hit the post in the first half and had a penalty saved by Benaglio late on in the second half. Pietro Pellegri, the most expensive 16 year old in the game, came on and got the equaliser for Monaco with a great strike, but Francois Kamano won it in the 92nd minute with a lovely finish.

In the other match Lille beat Guingamp 3-0. Jonathan Bamba with two goals while Nicolas Pepe had two assists. Those two are forging a good relationship but it may be disrupted if a club comes in for Pepe. I think someone should as he's one of the most exciting talents in France. Guingamp are still without a point after three games.

Marseille vs Rennes is the evening game. Game is on BT Sport 1 (kick-off 8pm). Teams are in:
    Marseille XI: Pele; Sarr, Kamara, Rami, Amavi; Luiz Gustavo, Sanson; Thauvin, Payet, Ocampos; Germain.

Rennes XI: Koubek; Traore, Mexer, Da Silva, Bensebaini; Gelin; Bourigeaud, Andre, Lea-Siliki, Grenier; Sarr.

Marseille drop Sakai and Caleta-Car after the 3-1 loss to Nimes; Sarr and Kamara replace them.

Ismaila Sarr is worth keeping an eye on for Rennes up front. Very exciting prospect. Bourigeaud is also a talent.

I can see Rennes causing a few scares but I'll go for a 2-1 home win.

• Advertisement

1-0 to Rennes. Bourigeaud from the penalty spot following Rami's poor challenge on Sarr. They deserve to be ahead.

Oh my goodness! Sarr makes it 2-0 following a massive howler from Pele, spilling it right at his feet. Just before half-time too.

https://twitter.com/_3emeMiTemps/status/1033804135261462530

Very interesting second half coming up. Rennes have been the better side. Sarr causing loads of problems. Marseille look devoid of ideas and Germain not offering a lot up top. Really feel they need a quality centre-forward before the deadline shuts.

2-1! Ocampos from close range after Gustavo's header hits the post. Comeback on?

2-2! Rennes O.G. Bensebaini heads into his own net after a great cross from Ocampos. Just under twenty minutes remaining.

Full-Time: Game ends 2-2 which is a fair result. Rennes were better in the first half but Marseille were better in the second. Some interesting games coming up in the next round of fixtures. Vieira and his struggling Nice are away to Lyon on Friday, while the Sunday evening game is Monaco vs Marseille.

In other news, reports tonight suggest Henry won't be taking over at Bordeaux. Reportedly his salary demands and transfer intentions causing difficulties. Ranieri and Conte said to be of interest to the owners as alternatives. I could see Ranieri as a possible contender. No chance of Conte surely. Based on what I saw of Bordeaux today against Monaco, I'd be tempted to give it to the caretaker coach Eric Bedouet. I was impressed with how they performed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭- bo -

I completely forgot to follow this thread, done now.

I didn't get to see our match on Saturday unfortunately, but good to finally get a point on the board. Some nice pieces of play going by the highlights. Strasbourg away this Saturday (televised match), be a toughie. They've started well with a tough opening 3 fixtures.

Very interesting game this evening as Patrick Vieira's under-pressure Nice team travel to take on the tough challenge of Lyon. Nice have 1 point from 9 so far and were beaten 4-0 at home by Dijon last week. Lyon are doing better with 6 points from 9. Team news:
    Lyon XI: Lopes; Rafael, Marcelo, Denayer, Mendy; Tousart, Ndombele; Traore, Fekir, Terrier; Depay.

Nice XI: Benitez; Jallet, Herelle, Dante, Sarr, Boscagli; Lees-Melou, Tameze, Cyprien; Saint-Maximin, Balotelli.

First time Walter Benitez starts a league game for Nice under Vieira, having been the number one under Favre last season. I think that's smart as I rate him higher than Cardinale. Balotelli also makes his first start of the season after his proposed move to Marseille fell through.

For Lyon, Fekir starts for the first time after returning as a sub last week. New signing Jason Denayer makes his debut following his arrival from Man City. Interested to see how he gets on.

I can see this being another tough evening for Nice. You have to wonder how motivated Balotelli will be seeing as he clearly wanted to leave. Nice's defending was terrible last week. Boscagli, Herelle and Dante were very poor.

I'll go for Lyon to make a statement with a 3-0 win. Game is on BT Sport 3 from 7.45.

Update: Goalless at Half-Time. Nice have done well so far crowding out Lyon's efforts to find a way through. Fekir looks like he's lacking match sharpness which I suppose is to be expected since it's his first start of the season. Depay has had some nice touches. Lyon's defence has impressed and Denayer has looked solid. Saint-Maximin looks lively for Nice. Balotelli has been okay but needs better service.

1-0 Nice! Saint-Maximin's strike takes a wicked deflection, leaving Lopes no chance. He came very close to scoring a few minutes ago after a Balotelli pass and he smoked Marcelo with his pace, seeing his effort come off the underside of the crossbar. He's playing very well in this game.

Update: How was this not the equaliser?

https://twitter.com/InsideGones/status/1035618779936505856

Full-Time and Nice win 1-0 giving Vieira a much needed boost. So much for my prediction of a strong home win. Nice keeper Walter Benitez was fantastic and made a series of big saves. Lyon had the chances to score but couldn't take them. Nice did well on the break through Saint-Maximin. I would have given him MOTM if not for Benitez's heroics.

Main positive for Lyon is Denayer's solid debut and 90 minutes under Fekir's belt. They need to pick themselves up. They've got great talent but don't seem to have enough desire. I'd love to see this side under a better coach than Genesio. Will never happen but I'd love to see Wenger with this squad and see what he could do.

Strasbourg vs Nantes is live from 7pm tomorrow on BT Sport 2. Looking forward to seeing Nantes under Cardoso's possession style for the first time.

PSG have won away at promoted side Nimes 4-2 in what sounds like a thrilling match. Neymar and Di Maria had Paris leading 2-0 at half-time but Reims pulled it back to 2-2, only for 2 goals in the last 15 minutes from Mbappe and Cavani to win it. Mbappe's goal was great:

https://twitter.com/ahadfooty_II/status/1035931434912018435

Then in stoppage time Mbappe and Reims player Savanier were both sent off.

Here's the team news for Strasbourg vs Nantes which is tonight at 7pm (BT Sport 2):
    Strasbourg XI: Sels, Lala, Mitrovic, Martinez, Carole, Thomasson, Sissoko, Martin, Lienard, Ajorque, Da Costa.

Nantes XI: Tatarusanu, Kwateng, Miazga, Carlos, Lima, Krhin, Moutoussamy, Rongier, Evangelista, Waris, Sala.

Strasbourg's new striker signed from Lille, Lebo Mothiba, on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Good news for Lyon yesterday despite the defeat was securing Dembele from Celtic for 20 million.

Important signing and should be a major asset in the league and Europe.

• Advertisement

Half-Time scores:
    Angers 0-0 Lille
    Dijon 0-1 Caen
    Guingamp 1-2 Toulouse
    Reims 0-0 Montpellier
    Strasbourg 1-2 Nantes

Controversial moment in the Strasbourg vs Nantes game. Strasbourg midfielder Sissoko, who has played well, looked to be tripped in the box. Ref and VAR don't intervene, then Nantes break down the other end and score via a shot from Evangelista. Ref consults VAR and decides the goal stands. Think it was the wrong call. It's a good contest with both sides looking dangerous.

Guingamp meanwhile look in trouble again. Only side in the division without a point, although they were 2-0 down so perhaps they will fight back.

All Saturday's scores:
    Nimes 2-4 PSG
    Angers 1-0 Lille
    Dijon 0-2 Caen
    Guingamp 1-2 Toulouse
    Reims 0-1 Montpellier
    Strasbourg 2-3 Nantes

Strasbourg vs Nantes was good fun. I thought the home side were a bit unfortunate. The first Nantes goal was heading wide but deflected off Mitrovic for an O.G. Second Nantes goal was from a break following a decent penalty shout for Strasbourg. Have to say though some of Strasbourg's passing was very poor. Nantes look like they will be good entertainment but their possession style needs work. Strasbourg's second came via Nantes defender Toure losing the ball just outside his own box. I thought Ibrahima Sissoko played well for Strasbourg. Waris and Sala were a handful for Nantes and worked hard, while Boschilia came on as a sub and looked good. Pleased to see him doing well after his horrible injury at Monaco.

In the other games, Dijon's 100 per cent record comes to an end with a surprise home defeat. Toulouse are going well as they leave Guingamp still looking for a first point. Promoted side Reims have followed up two opening wins by losing their next two. And Angers record a surprise win at home to Lille with the away side likely paying the price for selling key players before the window shut.

Interesting that so far this round Angers are the only side with a home win. 6 of the 7 games this round have been won by the away side. It feels like the league is more competitive this year. PSG unsurprisingly out in front but they've been given a scare by Guingamp and now today Nimes. Curious to see how they get on with their tougher fixtures in October/November. Still expect them to win the title handily all the same.

Fixtures to finish off the round tomorrow are Saint-Etienne vs Amiens, Rennes vs Bordeaux and the big 8pm clash of Monaco vs Marseille. The latter match should be good with Monaco coming off a surprise defeat last week to Bordeaux while Marseille could only draw with Rennes. Neither side can afford to drop more points.

Sunday results:
    Saint-Etienne 0-0 Amiens
    Rennes 2-0 Bordeaux

Only seen highlights of the early games. Saint-Etienne had two goals chalked off by VAR. Khazri looked lively from what I saw. Bordeaux's two goals conceded from corners. Ben Arfa was in the stands to watch his new side Rennes and seemed to be enjoying himself.

Monaco vs Marseille coming up at 8pm on BT Sport 1. Team news:
    Monaco XI: Benaglio; Henrichs, Glik, Jemerson, Barreca; Ait-Bennasser, Aholou; Grandsir, Tielemans, Rony Lopes; Falcao.

Marseille XI: Pele; Sakai, Rami, Luiz Gustavo, Amavi; Sanson, Strootman; Bouna Sarr, Dimitri Payet, Lucas Ocampos; Mitroglou.

Benjamin Henrichs makes his debut for Monaco following his signing from Leverkusen, while Marseille's Kevin Strootman debuts following his move from Roma. Thauvin starts on the bench for the away side which is a surprise.

Tough one to call, this; and both sides need the points. I'll go for the home side to edge it. Looking forward to how the new guys do.

Half-Time and it's 1-0 Marseille. The goal was the last action of the half. A terrific cross from the right by Payet and Mitroglou with a great header. I think the away side deserve the lead. Monaco have looked short of ideas.

1-1. Defensive howler from Rami giving the ball away to Falcao and eventually it's Tielemans able to equalise. Perfect start to the half for Jardim's side.

FALCAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

They've turned it around. Rami again involved as he fails to clear and Falcao tucks it home from close range.

Rami having a mare.

Equaliser from Thauvin! He starts a move with Sakai and is there to finish it off. He's been a big threat since he came on. Don't know why he didn't feature from the start. 2-2 with 15 minutes to go.

Oh my goodness! Valere Germain scores a header against his old club to make it 3-2 in the 90th minute! Doesn't celebrate the goal. I think it was his first touch since coming on as a sub too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Ah, good old Ligue 1 never fails to deliver. That was a great game, first one I’ve had the chance to watch this season. The bar is set pretty high now. :)

• Advertisement

Full-Time and Marseille win 3-2. Great game. Marseille led 1-0, Monaco turned it around to lead 2-1 and then Marseille came back to win 3-2.

Thauvin was the difference maker. He provided a goal and an assist when he came on for the last half-hour. Good debut from Strootman who was solid.

I feel Monaco are in a transition phase at the minute. They've a lot of new faces and Jardim still has to figure out his best team. Haven't got to see Golovin yet either. I think they'll be okay domestically in the long run but I'd worry for them in the Champions League against more settled sides.

Advertisement