Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ligue 1 Superthread 2018/19

• 03-08-2018 11:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

gettyimages-957814488.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=540%2C360

Ligue 1 makes its return next week with an opener featuring last season's Europa League finalists Marseille, taking on the team that won the promotion/relegation play-off, Toulouse, while the traditional Trophees des Champions curtain-raiser between PSG and China takes place tomorrow live from China at 1pm our time.

French football is on a high right now after France's success at the World Cup, and many of that tournament's stars will be in action in the league. Mbappe, Neymar and Cavani all impressed, and PSG will be hoping they carry on their form. Monaco meanwhile have snapped up Aleksandr Golovin who made a great impression for Russia, while keeper Subasic also had a good tournament (aside from the final where in his defence he didn't look 100 per cent). Tunisia's Wahbi Khazri managed 2 goals and 2 assists in his 3 World Cup games and he has signed for Saint-Etienne having impressed at Rennes.

Like most of Europe's top leagues, the title race was not a close one last season but still contained plenty of great matches and saw the emergence of a host of top talent who have since gone on to other leagues: Malcom, Toko Ekambi, Gnagnon, Fabinho, Moutinho and Diop to name a few. There is plenty more talent swimming around and one of the good things about following this league is you get to see the emergence of football's future superstars. Patrick Vieira meanwhile has also taken up the managerial position at Nice, with Lucien Favre heading to Dortmund after an impressive spell. It will be interesting to see how he gets on in his first big European job.

On a more worrying note, it remains unclear what the status is for the TV rights of the league. It had been assumed they would be on BT Sport once again but I've read that BT's contract expired at the end of last season. Also there has been no promotion of games so far - BT aren't scheduled to show PSG vs Monaco tomorrow which is a change from last year - and the rumour is that Eleven Sports may be eyeing this up as their next acquisition to go with Serie A and La Liga. That would make sense given they would then be able to say they have Ronaldo, Messi and now Neymar and Mbappe on their platform. Hopefully we get some clarity on things before next week.

Here is a look at the Ligue 1 title odds at the time of writing:
    PSG 1/9
    Marseille 12/1
    Lyon 12/1
    Monaco 14/1
    Others 200/1 or more

My take on the teams...

PSG

It's no surprise to see PSG heavy favourites. They boast arguably the best attacking force in world football and have added the experience of Buffon in goal. They look strong in most departments but I still feel they need a top LB and DM if they are to have a serious shot at the Champions League, which is their main objective. A lot of interest will be on Tuchel's tactics and whether he can get the best out of the team. Emery was pretty good at keeping things harmonious and it will be interesting if Tuchel has any off-field drama to contend with which could test him. It would be a surprise if they don't win the title with plenty to spare.

Marseille

Like last season Marseille are in desperate need of a top quality striker. They neglected to bring one in a year ago and it was only for the remarkable goal tally of Thauvin that they were able to stay in the mix for a Champions League place. Mitroglou and Germain weren't good enough to take them to the next level. Recently they've been linked with moves for Giroud and Balotelli and either of them would be a big improvement. Payet was excellent at the turn of the year and if he can continue that form, and their new centre-back signing Caleta-Car can take to the league well, then they'll have a great chance of getting Champions League football.

Lyon

Lyon are the team that excite me the most ahead of the new season. RB was a position that was a problem area for them but they've rectified that by signing Leo Dubois from Nantes, one of the best RB's in the league. They've also signed Martin Terrier who was one of the most exciting young midfielders in the league last season, and he's played well in pre-season, recently coming off the bench to score the winner in a 3-2 win over Benfica. Lyon have an abundance of young talent with the likes of Ndombele, Aouar, Tousart and Mendy all impressing. They have also snapped up young English forward Reo Griffiths from Spurs who was supposedly wanted by Barcelona and Madrid. Best bit of business Lyon could do though would be holding on to Fekir since it seemed at one stage a formality he would leave. Memphis Depay was exceptional when deployed up top last season and if he can carry on that form then I could see Lyon finishing second.

Monaco

Once again Leonardo Jardim is being asked to work his magic as Monaco have sold several of his key players. Lemar, Fabinho, Moutinho and Diakhaby have all gone, the first three being significant players in Monaco's title winning season. They have bought pretty well though winning the signature of Golovin, Samuel Grandsir who stood out at Troyes, and snapping up highly-rated teenage striker Willem Geubbels from rivals Lyon. Furthermore, Jean-Eudes Aholou has been signed from Strasbourg to help fill the big void left by Fabinho and Moutinho leaving. Youri Tielemans was a disappointment last season but looked decent for Belgium when he featured at the World Cup. Monaco will be hoping he steps up this season. Rony Lopes had a terrific season in 2017-18 and if Monaco are to be in the Champions League places they'll need him to continue where he left off.

Rennes

Rennes caused an upset by finishing fifth and securing a Europa League spot but two of their key players have left: striker Wahbi Khazri has gone to Saint-Etienne and defender Joris Gnagnon has moved to Sevilla. To replace them Rennes have signed Theoson Siebatcheu whose 17 goals in Ligue 2 for Reims helped them achieve promotion, while they have also signed defender Damien Da Silva from Caen who had a good season. Another decent signing was Clement Grenier who impressed on loan at Guingamp. If Rennes can get close to their 5th place finish last season they'll have done well.

Bordeaux

Gus Poyet did well at Bordeaux last season but it will be a tall order to repeat last season's finish with talisman Malcom having signed for Barcelona. He provided not just goals but assists and unless they can put their funds from the transfer to good use by signing some quality attacking talents, I can see Bordeaux falling off from their finish last season.

Saint-Etienne

Things looked rough for Saint-Etienne last season before the turn of the year but a good transfer window in January helped turn their fortunes. Debuchy and Subotic improved them defensively and Cabella came in on loan from Marseille to add quality up top. Cabella's loan spell has ended which is a blow unless they can secure his signature again. Khazri is a good purchase and should add more goals. I think they can be in the battle for European places.

Nice

Vieira has difficult shoes to fill as Favre did a great job with Nice, playing some exciting football and giving youth a chance often. Nice have lost two of their big players in Seri and Plea, while Balotelli has been heavily linked with a move away. Nice will need to find goals and Saint-Maximin, who played well at times, will need to have his best season yet if Nice are to be in contention for Europe. I do like the signing of defender Christophe Herelle who was impressive at Troyes. I'd still like to see them announce a quality attacking player before the window shuts.

Elsewhere...

With Ranieri no longer manager of Nantes, Miguel Cardoso is the new man at the helm. He comes with a good reputation after helping Portuguese side Rio Ave finish 5th and qualify for the Europa League, apparently with attractive football. Sergio Conceicao was a big hit when he arrived at Nantes from Portugal a few years back so I guess they are hoping for more of the same. Guingamp did nicely last season and I like their signing of Nolan Roux who starred for Metz, despite them finishing bottom. Lille had a horror season under Bielsa but I'm expecting a less anxious one this time under Christophe Galtier. I think Toulouse may struggle with the loss of defender Issa Diop and keeper Alban Lafont to West Ham and Fiorentina respectively. It will be tough for the promoted sides Reims and Nimes to stay up but I'm optimistic they will be competitive.

What team are you looking forward to seeing this season? Can anyone give PSG a run for their money? Any players you're keen to see feature?

I'll say PSG for the title, Lyon and Monaco for the Champions League places (unless Marseille get a quality forward before the window shuts in which case I'll swap them with Monaco), Saint-Etienne and Rennes to round out the European places, and Nimes and Amiens to go down. Neymar for Player of the Year - sticking my neck out with that one - and also expecting big seasons from Ndombele, Depay, Lopes and Payet. (And Fekir if he's around.) As far as breakout seasons, I'm thinking Benjamin Bourigeaud, Ismaila Sarr, and Samuel Grandsir.

Here's to another entertaining season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

PSG beat Monaco 4-0 in the Trophee Des Champions. Neither side were at full strength but I hoped it would be more competitive. Apparently Jardim experimented with 3 at the back. Pick of the goals was Di Maria's free-kick.

https://twitter.com/Top5Gol/status/1025728711415541765

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,840 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No Ligue 1 on BT Sport this year it looks like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

So will this Eleven sports have Ligue 1 and Serie A? Bit of a joke if that’s the case. Thought BT or Eir would have them still.

I emailed Eleven Sports asking would they bid for Ligue 1 and was told that they are always looking for new content and that they would pass on my interest etc. The sort of vague answer I was expecting. It doesn't look like BT are going to bid for another contract at this late stage. It's looking increasingly likely it won't be available anywhere seeing as the first match is on Friday.

Imagine if someone told you back in May that when August rolled around neither Messi, Ronaldo nor Neymar would be available to watch on TV in their league matches.

I emailed Eleven Sports asking would they bid for Ligue 1 and was told that they are always looking for new content and that they would pass on my interest etc. The sort of vague answer I was expecting. It doesn't look like BT are going to bid for another contract at this late stage. It's looking increasingly likely it won't be available anywhere seeing as the first match is on Friday.

Imagine if someone told you back in May that when August rolled around neither Messi, Ronaldo nor Neymar would be available to watch on TV in their league matches.

Madness. By all accounts the Eleven Sports streams are s**t too. Call me old fashioned but I want to be able to watch matches live on tv rather than streaming through a laptop.

Are any of the major leagues available on tv aside from the Premier League?

• Advertisement

Redo91 wrote: »
    Are any of the major leagues available on tv aside from the Premier League?

The Bundesliga will be on BT Sport but still no news on whether Ligue 1 will eventually get picked up. I can't see it being on TV at this late stage.

Opening game of Ligue 1 is under way. Marseille leading Toulouse 1-0 at the break via a penalty from Dimitri Payet. The penalty came from VAR - first time it's been used in Ligue 1.

Update: Opening game of the season ends Marseille 4-0 Toulouse. Two goals from Payet (one from the spot), Germain and Thauvin. Pleased that Payet and Thauvin are continuing their great year. Good for Germain's confidence that he got a goal too. Still think they need a quality striker though. No excuse not to get someone with all that money they got from Fulham for Zambo Anguissa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭- bo -

Nice one on the new thread MNG, came on here to check if there was one. I've been waiting and waiting to see if BT had any sort of schedule for Ligue coming up - they still had a Ligue 1 section on their site until at least a few days ago - but seems to be nothing coming. Streams it is. I'll be tuning into Nantes-Monaco this afternoon.

Season prediction, mid-table rubbish once again.

Bit of a joke if a league with the likes of Neymar and Mbappe is not televised.

Redo91 wrote: »
    Bit of a joke if a league with the likes of Neymar and Mbappe is not televised.

Not really since there’s genuinely no interest in the league from 99.5% of people I’d say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,890 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If people were watching these leagues in real numbers BT & Sky would be showing them.

• Advertisement

If people were watching these leagues in real numbers BT & Sky would be showing them.

Neither of them are showing La Liga or Serie A. Must be no people watching those leagues.

Meanwhile...

https://twitter.com/mattspiro/status/1001727544486453248

First round results:
    Marseille 4-0 Toulouse
    Nantes 1-3 Monaco
    Angers 3-4 Nimes
    Lille 3-1 Rennes
    Montpellier 1-2 Dijon
    Nice 0-1 Reims
    Saint-Etienne 2-1 Guingamp
    Lyon 2-0 Amiens
    Bordeaux 0-2 Strasbourg
    PSG 3-0 Caen

Very exciting return for Ligue 1. Sounds like Angers vs Nimes is an early contender for game of the season. Angers were leading Nimes 3-1 heading into the last 15 minutes, and Nimes also had a man sent off yet still came back to win. Other promoted side Reims also had a great win, spoiling Patrick Vieira's first league game in charge. Lille and Dijon also had two impressive comeback victories.

Pleased to see Monaco and Lyon have started well. Falcao came on as a sub late on and got a goal and assist. Depay scored a lovely free kick to get off the mark. Surprising opening defeat for Gus Poyet at home to Strasbourg, though they were down to ten men for most of the match. Solid win for PSG with Neymar getting his first of the season. Tuchel gave a lot of youngsters a run out and Timothy Weah got the final goal off the bench.

Last season Ligue 1's Youtube page posted highlights to their channel. I'm hoping that's still available this season. They would usually stick them up on Sunday around midnight.

Neither of them are showing La Liga or Serie A. Must be no people watching those leagues.

Meanwhile...

https://twitter.com/mattspiro/status/1001727544486453248

You linked a tweet about domestic rights ... nothing to do with UK&Ire.

And yes... feck all people watch Spanish Football either (other than El Classico).. Sky were toning back on coverage for years now anyway

callaway92 wrote: »
    You linked a tweet about domestic rights ... nothing to do with UK&Ire.

And yes... feck all people watch Spanish Football either (other than El Classico).. Sky were toning back on coverage for years now anyway

There's no information on the status of the UK & Ireland market at present.

What constitutes "feck all people"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Back on BT from this weekend. 1st game Reims v Lyon on Friday evening :)

Stevecw wrote: »
    Back on BT from this weekend. 1st game Reims v Lyon on Friday evening :)

Where did you hear that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Where did you hear that?

https://twitter.com/johnrodercomm

The games are also now up on the Sky tv guide when you check BT.

Stevecw wrote: »
    The games are also now up on the Sky tv guide when you check BT.

Delighted to hear this. I was expecting Eleven Sports to end up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Crazy stuff at Bordeaux, player sold without telling Poyet and now looks like he's getting the sack for complaining about it.

It was hard to see a way back for Poyet after his comments. Rumours doing the rounds that Bordeaux's incoming new American owners want Thierry Henry as coach, with Jurgen Klinsmann and Michael Laudrup also on their shortlist. We'll see what happens but I'd be shocked if Henry took the job.

Reims vs Lyon is coming up at 7:45 on BT Sport 2. Promoted side Reims had an impressive 1-0 away win at Nice last week, while Lyon began their campaign with a 2-0 home win over Amiens. Team news:
    Reims XI: Mendy; Metanire, Fontaine, Abdelhamid, Konan; Romao, Chavalerin; Oudin, Martin, Doumbia; Chavarria.

Lyon XI: Gorgelin; Dubois, Marcelo, Morel, Mendy; Ndombele, Tousart, Aouar; Depay; B.Traore, Mariano Diaz.

Looking forward to seeing Lyon this season. I fancy them to be the most attractive side to watch, apart from PSG. Fekir isn't deemed match-fit while keeper Lopes is suspended but other than that it looks a strong side. For Reims, forward Pablo Chavarria is tipped to be their key man. Also they broke their transfer record for LB Ghislain Konan who was a summer signing from Vitoria de Guimaraes. He's an Ivorian international and will probably be worth keeping an eye on. I'll say Lyon to win 2-1.

• Advertisement

Wow 1-0 Reims, against the run of play. Chavarria heads home after a lovely cross from Konan. Traore weak attempting to win the ball before the cross.

Update: Reims lead 1-0 at the break. Lyon dominated possession but without doing a whole lot with it. Traore's been very poor, giving the ball away often and not helping out defensively. Been disappointed with Aouar too. Mendy's been Lyon's best player while Ndombele has done well too. For Reims I've liked the performance of Konan who has offered a lot going forward. Big response needed from Lyon in the second half. This is the kind of game Fekir would be great for but he's not available. Cornet and Terrier would be decent alternatives to Traore if he continues to play like he has.

Full-Time and Reims pull off a great 1-0 win against Lyon. It was a well deserved win and they had good chances on the break to add a second. They have started the season brilliantly. Not many would have given them much hope of getting anything from Nice away and Lyon home, yet they've taken six points. I was impressed with their full-backs Konan and Metanire. They defended well as a team and Lyon struggled to test the keeper. I thought Ndombele was Lyon's best player but they looked toothless in attack. Fekir was badly missed in this game.

Monaco vs Lille is on BT Sport ESPN tomorrow night at 7pm. Both sides started the season with good wins so that should be a fun match.

PSG have won away at Guingamps 3-1. Didn't see the game but from what I've read it was harsh on Guingamp who were leading at half-time and had a goal harshly chalked off by VAR. They also hit the post. Mbappe came off the bench and grabbed two late goals, with Neymar getting the other from the spot.

Monaco vs Lille is coming up at 7 on BT Sport ESPN. Team news:
    Monaco XI: Benaglio; Toure, Glik, Jemerson, Barreca; Ahoulou, Tielemans; Rony Lopes, Jovetic, Mboula; Falcao.

Lille XI: Maignan; Celik, Fonte, Soumaoro, Ballo-Toure; Xeka, Thiago Mendes; Bamba, Benzia, Pepe; Mothiba.

Interested to see how new signing Antonio Barreca does for Monaco. Benzia and Pepe looked impressive for Lille in their opening day win over Rennes.

I'll say Monaco to edge it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Good work again MNG. Delighted this is back on BT, wasn't expecting it to be.

Falcao has his penalty saved by Maignan after it was awarded via VAR for a foul on him. Still 0-0 with twenty minutes remaining.

All of Saturday's results:
    Guingamp 1-3 PSG
    Amiens 1-2 Montpellier
    Caen 1-1 Nice
    Dijon 2-0 Nantes
    Monaco 0-0 Lille
    Rennes 1-0 Angers

Monaco are left to rue Falcao's penalty miss but I thought Lille deserved something from the game. I expected this match to be a better spectacle but it was disappointing.

The other games appear to have been much more interesting. Patrick Vieira looked like he was about to lose his first two games as Nice coach, but an equaliser in the last ten minutes avoided that embarrassment. Julio Tavares scored a brace for Dijon as they beat Nantes and that's three goals for him in total so far which I believe puts him top of the scoring charts. Talented prospect Ismaila Sarr got the winner for Rennes with a great strike:

https://twitter.com/mlfra/status/1030904305417678848

And speaking of great strikes, Florent Mollet with a lovely swerving effort for Montpellier in their win over Amiens:

https://twitter.com/rgomesrodrigues/status/1030896725291159552

The three remaining games of the round are live on BT Sport tomorrow: Strasbourg vs Saint-Etienne, Toulouse vs Bordeaux and Nimes vs Marseille at 2pm, 4pm, and 8pm respectively. Nimes won a seven goal thriller last week, while Marseille had a 4-0 opening day win so that game will hopefully have a few goals on offer.

Strasbourg and Saint-Etienne drew 1-1 while Toulouse beat Bordeaux 2-1 in today's early games. I didn't see the latter game but I watched a bit of the former. Saint-Etienne were reduced to ten in the opening 20 minutes after Subotic fouled as the last man. The away side weren't great and Ruffier had to produce some good stops, including one great one low to his left. Debuchy looked good and provided an assist.

Nimes vs Marseille is the final game of the round and it's live tonight on BT Sport 3 from 8pm. Team news:
    Nimes XI: Bernardoni; Alakouch, Briancon, Landre, Paquiez; Bouanga, Diallo, Savanier, Thioub; Bozok, Ripart.

Marseille XI: Mandanda; Sakai, Rami, Caleta-Car, Amavi; Luiz Gustavo, Sanson; Thauvin, Payet, Ocampos; Germain.

Looking forward to seeing Umut Bozok, the 21 year striker for Nimes who was top scorer in Ligue 2 last season. Winger Denis Bouanga was signed from Lorient in the summer and is said to be a good creative talent. I was also impressed with the other winger Sada Thioub when I saw the highlights of their opening game. The guy looks very strong.

For Marseille, 21 year old centre-back Duje Caleta-Car makes his debut after signing from Red Bull Salzburg. This has been a problem area for Marseille so I'm keen to see if he can improve them. The line-up looks strong and Payet and Thauvin have been great to watch this year.

Fingers crossed for a few goals tonight. I'll go for Marseille to win 3-1.

BOUANGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Nimes take the lead! They have been playing well and holding their own. Sakai turned inside out by Bouanga there for the goal.

Update: Nimes lead 1-0 at the break and are 45 minutes away from joining other promoted side Reims on 6 points after their first 2 games. Nimes have worked hard and pressed well. Bouanga and Thioub are working well on the wings. Also standing out is RB Sofiane Alakouch who isn't afraid to get stuck in. He's smashed into Payet with a strong tackle and nearly took a few of Ocampos' teeth out by leading with an elbow. Not bad for a 20 year old. Marseille have been reduced to relying on set pieces and Germain has had a few headers. Very little created in open play though. Marseille need to be a lot better in the second half to leave with anything.

THAUVIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNN

Beautiful lobbed finish over the keeper after an assist from Sanson following a quick counter. 1-1.

https://twitter.com/CDL1Videos/status/1031273543718326272

• Advertisement

Nimes lead again! Thioub scores after a counter-attack featuring him and Bounaga and a neat finish by the wide man. 2-1. Great game, this.

And now Mandanda has had to come off injured. Thauvin was subbed a few minutes ago, presumably for fitness reasons. Marseille in trouble here.

Ripart! And he's ripped apart Marseille here. 3-1 to Nimes as he outmuscles Amavi and new signing Caleta-Car.

And it's deserved. Great stuff from the promoted side.

Full-Time and Nimes have beaten Marseille 3-1. So much for my prediction but I got the scoreline right at least!

Nimes were excellent and worthy of the win. Bouanga, Thioub and Ripart were a big threat and worked their socks off. Right-back Alakouch also gave Ocampos nothing in the game. Nimes look like they will be great entertainment value this season. They also came back from 3-1 down to win 4-3 last week - and that was with 10 men.

Marseille can have a legitimate complaint about not getting a penalty. There was shirt-pulling on two occasions and I don't know why VAR didn't flag it up. They didn't deserve anything on overall play though, and they created little. Sakai and Caleta-Car were given a torrid time. I think they really need to get a striker in before the window closes.

Must say the two promoted sides have been a breath of fresh air with how they've started the campaign.

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1032224223937409026

Seems like this may well happen after all. Very interesting prospect if so, Vieira and Henry coaching in the same league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Interested to see how he gets on.

Lyon vs Strasbourg is tonight's game on BT Sport 3. Lyon are looking to bounce back after losing to promoted side Reims 1-0, while Strasbourg have had a good start to the season with 4 points from 6. Kick-off is at 7:45. Teams:
    Lyon XI: Lopes; Rafael, Marcelo, Morel, Mendy; Ndombele, Tousart, Diop; B.Traore, Terrier, Depay.

Strasbourg XI: Sels; Lala, Kone, Mitrovic, Carole; Jonas Martin, Sissoko; Thomasson, Goncalves, Caci; Da Costa.

Martin Terrier starts for Lyon against the team where he had a very successful loan spell last season. Lopes also back in goal for them which is a boost. Interestingly Rafael starts at RB over Dubois who hasn't had the best beginning to his Lyon career. Fekir is on the bench as is new signing Denayer. Looks like Depay is up top on his own which is where he impressed often last season, so keen to see if he can get another goal tonight.

Strasbourg keeper Sels was signed from Newcastle and is said to be a good talent. He should be tested plenty tonight. Young midfielder Ibrahima Sissoko had a good game against Bordeaux on the opening day and I'm looking forward to seeing how he gets on in midfield.

I'll go for a 2-0 Lyon win.

• Advertisement

1-0 Lyon. Nice goal from Terrier to open the deadlock against his old club. Lyon fortunate to be ahead as they've been poor and Strasbourg have had the better chances.

Update: 1-0 Lyon at Half-Time. Strasbourg have played well; Lyon have been really poor, misplacing passes all over the shop. Traore and Morel being big culprits. Ndombele probably Lyon's best player. Depay hasn't offered much in attack as Mitrovic has dealt with him well. Strasbourg though lucky to not have Thomasson sent off for a high challenge on Morel. I think the ref's had a bad game.

2-0 Lyon. Traore was poor in the first half but that's a lovely goal from him. Depay with the assist and Traore shows great composure to stick it in the back of the net. Tough for Strasbourg to come back from this.

https://twitter.com/kmlyonnais/status/1033085443028463622

Full-Time: The game ends 2-0 to Lyon. Much improved performance from the home side in the second half. Depay and Mendy impressed as did Ndombele. Fekir entered late on to a great reception. Strasbourg struggled to create enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Poor start for Viera at Nice, hammered 4-0 at home to Dijon today.

Saturday results:
    PSG 3-1 Angers
    Amiens 4-1 Reims
    Montpellier 0-0 Saint-Etienne
    Nantes 1-1 Caen
    Nice 0-4 Dijon
    Toulouse 1-0 Nimes

Shocking result for Vieira. They were only a goal down up until the 83rd minute and it seems like they completely collapsed at the end. It doesn't get any easier for him as Nice are away to Lyon next Friday.

Disappointing results for the promoted sides after their good start. Reims were reduced to ten men in the first half and went on to concede 3 goals in the second half. Nimes lost to a Gradel penalty late on.

Cavani, Mbappe and Neymar scored all of PSG's goals. Seems like Tuchel went with a 3-4-3 with Marquinhos in central midfield which is interesting.

Tomorrow's games are Lille vs Guingamp at 1pm, Bordeaux vs Monaco at 4pm and an evening game of Marseille vs Rennes at 8pm.

Bordeaux beat Monaco 2-1 earlier in a great game. Bordeaux were the better side but missed chances. They hit the post in the first half and had a penalty saved by Benaglio late on in the second half. Pietro Pellegri, the most expensive 16 year old in the game, came on and got the equaliser for Monaco with a great strike, but Francois Kamano won it in the 92nd minute with a lovely finish.

In the other match Lille beat Guingamp 3-0. Jonathan Bamba with two goals while Nicolas Pepe had two assists. Those two are forging a good relationship but it may be disrupted if a club comes in for Pepe. I think someone should as he's one of the most exciting talents in France. Guingamp are still without a point after three games.

Marseille vs Rennes is the evening game. Game is on BT Sport 1 (kick-off 8pm). Teams are in:
    Marseille XI: Pele; Sarr, Kamara, Rami, Amavi; Luiz Gustavo, Sanson; Thauvin, Payet, Ocampos; Germain.

Rennes XI: Koubek; Traore, Mexer, Da Silva, Bensebaini; Gelin; Bourigeaud, Andre, Lea-Siliki, Grenier; Sarr.

Marseille drop Sakai and Caleta-Car after the 3-1 loss to Nimes; Sarr and Kamara replace them.

Ismaila Sarr is worth keeping an eye on for Rennes up front. Very exciting prospect. Bourigeaud is also a talent.

I can see Rennes causing a few scares but I'll go for a 2-1 home win.

• Advertisement

1-0 to Rennes. Bourigeaud from the penalty spot following Rami's poor challenge on Sarr. They deserve to be ahead.

Oh my goodness! Sarr makes it 2-0 following a massive howler from Pele, spilling it right at his feet. Just before half-time too.

https://twitter.com/_3emeMiTemps/status/1033804135261462530

Very interesting second half coming up. Rennes have been the better side. Sarr causing loads of problems. Marseille look devoid of ideas and Germain not offering a lot up top. Really feel they need a quality centre-forward before the deadline shuts.

2-1! Ocampos from close range after Gustavo's header hits the post. Comeback on?

2-2! Rennes O.G. Bensebaini heads into his own net after a great cross from Ocampos. Just under twenty minutes remaining.

Full-Time: Game ends 2-2 which is a fair result. Rennes were better in the first half but Marseille were better in the second. Some interesting games coming up in the next round of fixtures. Vieira and his struggling Nice are away to Lyon on Friday, while the Sunday evening game is Monaco vs Marseille.

In other news, reports tonight suggest Henry won't be taking over at Bordeaux. Reportedly his salary demands and transfer intentions causing difficulties. Ranieri and Conte said to be of interest to the owners as alternatives. I could see Ranieri as a possible contender. No chance of Conte surely. Based on what I saw of Bordeaux today against Monaco, I'd be tempted to give it to the caretaker coach Eric Bedouet. I was impressed with how they performed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭- bo -

I completely forgot to follow this thread, done now.

I didn't get to see our match on Saturday unfortunately, but good to finally get a point on the board. Some nice pieces of play going by the highlights. Strasbourg away this Saturday (televised match), be a toughie. They've started well with a tough opening 3 fixtures.

Very interesting game this evening as Patrick Vieira's under-pressure Nice team travel to take on the tough challenge of Lyon. Nice have 1 point from 9 so far and were beaten 4-0 at home by Dijon last week. Lyon are doing better with 6 points from 9. Team news:
    Lyon XI: Lopes; Rafael, Marcelo, Denayer, Mendy; Tousart, Ndombele; Traore, Fekir, Terrier; Depay.

Nice XI: Benitez; Jallet, Herelle, Dante, Sarr, Boscagli; Lees-Melou, Tameze, Cyprien; Saint-Maximin, Balotelli.

First time Walter Benitez starts a league game for Nice under Vieira, having been the number one under Favre last season. I think that's smart as I rate him higher than Cardinale. Balotelli also makes his first start of the season after his proposed move to Marseille fell through.

For Lyon, Fekir starts for the first time after returning as a sub last week. New signing Jason Denayer makes his debut following his arrival from Man City. Interested to see how he gets on.

I can see this being another tough evening for Nice. You have to wonder how motivated Balotelli will be seeing as he clearly wanted to leave. Nice's defending was terrible last week. Boscagli, Herelle and Dante were very poor.

I'll go for Lyon to make a statement with a 3-0 win. Game is on BT Sport 3 from 7.45.

Update: Goalless at Half-Time. Nice have done well so far crowding out Lyon's efforts to find a way through. Fekir looks like he's lacking match sharpness which I suppose is to be expected since it's his first start of the season. Depay has had some nice touches. Lyon's defence has impressed and Denayer has looked solid. Saint-Maximin looks lively for Nice. Balotelli has been okay but needs better service.

1-0 Nice! Saint-Maximin's strike takes a wicked deflection, leaving Lopes no chance. He came very close to scoring a few minutes ago after a Balotelli pass and he smoked Marcelo with his pace, seeing his effort come off the underside of the crossbar. He's playing very well in this game.

Update: How was this not the equaliser?

https://twitter.com/InsideGones/status/1035618779936505856

Full-Time and Nice win 1-0 giving Vieira a much needed boost. So much for my prediction of a strong home win. Nice keeper Walter Benitez was fantastic and made a series of big saves. Lyon had the chances to score but couldn't take them. Nice did well on the break through Saint-Maximin. I would have given him MOTM if not for Benitez's heroics.

Main positive for Lyon is Denayer's solid debut and 90 minutes under Fekir's belt. They need to pick themselves up. They've got great talent but don't seem to have enough desire. I'd love to see this side under a better coach than Genesio. Will never happen but I'd love to see Wenger with this squad and see what he could do.

Strasbourg vs Nantes is live from 7pm tomorrow on BT Sport 2. Looking forward to seeing Nantes under Cardoso's possession style for the first time.

PSG have won away at promoted side Nimes 4-2 in what sounds like a thrilling match. Neymar and Di Maria had Paris leading 2-0 at half-time but Reims pulled it back to 2-2, only for 2 goals in the last 15 minutes from Mbappe and Cavani to win it. Mbappe's goal was great:

https://twitter.com/ahadfooty_II/status/1035931434912018435

Then in stoppage time Mbappe and Reims player Savanier were both sent off.

Here's the team news for Strasbourg vs Nantes which is tonight at 7pm (BT Sport 2):
    Strasbourg XI: Sels, Lala, Mitrovic, Martinez, Carole, Thomasson, Sissoko, Martin, Lienard, Ajorque, Da Costa.

Nantes XI: Tatarusanu, Kwateng, Miazga, Carlos, Lima, Krhin, Moutoussamy, Rongier, Evangelista, Waris, Sala.

Strasbourg's new striker signed from Lille, Lebo Mothiba, on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Good news for Lyon yesterday despite the defeat was securing Dembele from Celtic for 20 million.

Important signing and should be a major asset in the league and Europe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement