Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Man Utd
    POKERKING wrote: »
    Depends on your definition of poorly supported. City have always had a core base of 30-40k fans, we got 30k a week in division 2. We dont have a huge amount of day trippers(although they are slowly but surely coming) it will take a generation of success before the stadium starts to fill out weeks in advance. Most of the games will sellout by the time the games come around but
    Manchester isnt the most affluent place in the world its hard to fork out 60pound a ticket months in advance.

If you check the attendances over the last few years most of the games if not them all sell out. There a variety of reasons you see empty seats on the tv and not all them are related to attendance. The odd thing though is there is a decent sizes waiting list for season tickets but the club have a quota on how many they sell each year.

Could the Sheikh be buying up unsold tickets for games to pump up the attendance numbers? It might be one way to explain huge attendences but loads of visible empty seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Man Utd
    I think the only way Klopp won't be in a job is if he wins the league and CL double and then decides to call it a day.

Yeah that comment was more for the premier league prediction thread under the audacious prediction for the season. :)
    More likely to see Mourinho out of a job I’ll admit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Man Utd
    City appear to be tuned up and ready to go. Obviously Chelsea have players missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Man Utd
    City look brillant.

Going to be near impossible to over take.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

City appear to be tuned up and ready to go. Obviously Chelsea have players missing.

So do city.

Man Utd
    Yeah but Chelsea's misses are bigger within the context of their squad I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Friday, 5 October
    20:00 Brighton v West Ham (Sky Sports)

Saturday, 6 October
    17:30 Man Utd v Newcastle (BT Sport)

Sunday, 7 October
    12:00 Fulham v Arsenal (BT Sport)
    14:15 Southampton v Chelsea (Sky Sports)
    16:30 Liverpool v Man City (Sky Sports)

Saturday, 20 October
    12:30 Chelsea v Man Utd (Sky Sports)
    17:30 Huddersfield v Liverpool (BT Sport)

Sunday, 21 October
    16:00 Everton v Crystal Palace (Sky Sports)

Monday, 22 October
    20:00 Arsenal v Leicester (Sky Sports)

Saturday, 27 October
    12:30 Man Utd v Everton (Sky Sports)
    17:30 Leicester v West Ham (BT Sport)

Sunday, 28 October
    13:30 Crystal Palace v Arsenal (Sky Sports)
    16:00 Spurs v Man City (Sky Sports)

Saturday, 3 November
    12:30 AFC Bournemouth v Man Utd (BT Sport)
    17:30 Arsenal v Liverpool (BT Sport)

Sunday, 4 November
    13:30 Wolves v Spurs (Sky Sports)*
    (Maybe Saturday 3 November, at 19:45)
    16:00 Chelsea v Crystal Palace (Sky Sports)

Monday, 5 November
    20:00 Huddersfield v Fulham (Sky Sports)

Saturday, 10 November
    12:30 Cardiff v Brighton (Sky Sports)
    17:30 Crystal Palace v Spurs (BT Sport)

Sunday, 11 November
    12:00 Liverpool v Fulham (BT Sport)
    14:15 Chelsea v Everton (Sky Sports)
    16:30 Man City v Man Utd (Sky Sports)

Saturday, 24 November
    17:30 Spurs v Chelsea (BT Sport)

Sunday, 25 November
    13:30 AFC Bournemouth v Arsenal (Sky Sports)
    16:00 Wolves v Huddersfield (Sky Sports)

Monday, 26 November
    20:00 Burnley v Newcastle (Sky Sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Man Utd
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45088530

The BBC take on the upcoming season and who will be the League and Top 4 challengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,045 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Man Utd
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45088530

The BBC take on the upcoming season and who will be the League and Top 4 challengers.

Very heavy on Man City winning. All but 3 think they will win it.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/barclays-premier-league/23/blog/post/3587263/premier-league-preview-espn-fcs-writer-predictions-for-2019

And for ESPN, it is even more landslidey (is that a word?! :pac:)

By my count, it is 27 saying Man City. 1 saying Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Chelsea
    Can't see anything other than Liverpool and City fighting it out for the title. I don't think City are as good as last season would suggest and I've been very impressed with Liverpool's transfer window. I actually think this year will be their year. :o United should have enough for third and it should be tight between Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal for the last spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Man Utd
    City
    Liverpool
    Then could be ant combination of the other top teams.

Liverpool really need to challenge for the league given the talent they now have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Man Utd
    Goalkeeper Rui Patricio will wear #11 for Wolves this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Man Utd
    Lucas Hood wrote: »
    City
    Liverpool
    Then could be ant combination of the other top teams.

Liverpool really need to challenge for the league given the talent they now have.
    Liverpool will be our nearest challengers, IMO. They've bought really well, players that will strengthen them. The only downside now is that, having reached the CL final with last season's squad, expectations will skyrocket now and they will be expected at land some silverware this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

pjohnson wrote: »
    Goalkeeper Rui Patricio will wear #11 for Wolves this year.

Should be banned for life now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Chelsea
    The collective writing off of Chelsea is headscratching for me. They could throw the europa and concentrate on the league. Need a goalscorer granted but I'd have them at least top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Man Utd
    rob316 wrote: »
    The collective writing off of Chelsea is headscratching for me. They could throw the europa and concentrate on the league. Need a goalscorer granted but I'd have them at least top 4.

I think we'll do the opposite, we're going to struggle to adapt to Sarris tactics in the short term, it might take months before we flourish, think Pep in his first season. During pre season we only scored 3 goals but created quite a bit, the CF position is now a real issue for us and I cant see it changing anytime soon.

Morata has no confidence.
    Batshuayi plays like Bambi on ice.
    Giroud doesnt suit the style/tactics.

I think come about January or February we'll be floating around in 5th-6th and we'll concentrate fully on winning the EL to get CL football.

I wouldn't write us off just yet but I wouldn't be gambling on us finishing in the top 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

rob316 wrote:

Probably cause they're expected to take time to get going under Sarri, who should have been appointed 6 weeks before he was. Probably easier to go the Europa route as they can go through to the group stage blindfolded and push on in the knockouts then if the league is an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Man Utd
    If Sari had pre season with all his players I wonder would we have seen Hazard up front.

He did wonders with Mertens in that position.

Man Utd
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Probably cause they're expected to take time to get going under Sarri, who should have been appointed 6 weeks before he was. Probably easier to go the Europa route as they can go through to the group stage blindfolded and push on in the knockouts then if the league is an issue.

Ya, I mean we could field a very strong 2nd string in the EL if we wanted too and I think he will rotate too.

Caballero
    Zappacosta Christensen Ampadu Emerson
    Loftus Cheek Cesc Barkley
    Willian Giroud Odoi

That should see us breeze through the group stages, you could even play more youths but we've got I thnk 3 away games after EL group games and 2 of them are in London and we've no "big" side after any EL group game.
    Lucas Hood wrote: »
    If Sari had pre season with all his players I wonder would we have seen Hazard up front.

He did wonders with Mertens in that position.

Hazard finishing 3rd in the WC, meant he came back pretty late from holidays for training anyway but he has played the false 9 before for Chelsea, maybe half a dozen times but the results and his personal performances have been mixed as a false 9.

I dont think hes got a clinical streak in him though to perform for a season as a false 9, he said it himself and so did Jose, if he was more clinical in front of goal he'd be top 3 in the world but hes happy to setup goals and commit players so would be, IMO, wasted as a false 9. ALthough if he was deployed as #9, it would hopefully free up Odoi to play LW, which is something I'm hoping to see a bit this year anyway, that kid has bags of potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Insane money if true:

In a well-sourced article written by Daniel Taylor in The Guardian it is revealed that Sanchez's contract at Old Trafford is even more lucrative than first thought.

Here are the three big figures of interest:

£391,000-a-week basic wage
    £75,000 bonus for every game he plays
    Annual £1.1m signing-on fee

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/09/manchester-united-veto-jose-mourinho-wishlist-cash-fears

Liverpool
    I wonder will there ever be a corrective period in football, or will wages and transfers continue just go up and up. There seemed to be a lull in the 80s, when Man City had a few really bad transfers. I remember in the mid 80s hearing City were £6 million in debt and we just tried to figure out how does a club even exist with that problem, how could they even count to that sum.

It may need a few big clubs to fold to get them to stop the insanity. Even global financial recession didn't seem to stop the upward trend in splurging in the football world.

Man Utd
    As long as TV money remains insane, transfer fees will more than likely fall in line.

I mean Fulham spending over 100m, basically all their TV money, shows huge intent for trying to not onyl stay up this year but stay in the division long term.

10 years ago, a club coming would get a few hand me downs from the PL on loan or a good championship player for 10m, Fulham have spent 30m on one CB. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,887 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Chelsea
    Fulham could be playing in Wembley soon maybe they will become the biggest team in London in years to come :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Man Utd
    I wonder will there ever be a corrective period in football, or will wages and transfers continue just go up and up. There seemed to be a lull in the 80s, when Man City had a few really bad transfers. I remember in the mid 80s hearing City were £6 million in debt and we just tried to figure out how does a club even exist with that problem, how could they even count to that sum.

It may need a few big clubs to fold to get them to stop the insanity. Even global financial recession didn't seem to stop the upward trend in splurging in the football world.

There's surely going to be a plateau in TV revenue at some point, particularly domestically.

It'll be interesting to see what effect, if any Brexit has.
    A recession that limits discretionary spending might well hit subscriptions to sports packages, it could perhaps affect domestic and international credit and maybe even have an impact on foreigners' capacity to play in the UK.

That'll certainly be a stressful period for the industry, whether it's as calamitous as that or not.

Beyond that, the transition from traditional forms of broadcast to streaming will probably safeguard revenues long term, but could maybe disrupt things in a season. If Sky were to go tits up just before the season kicked off, maybe the broadcasting rights would be bought off them without any fuss, or maybe the PL would end up getting low-balled and it would have a dramatic effect on revenue.

Man Utd
    Fulham could be playing in Wembley soon maybe they will become the biggest team in London in years to come :)

They're definitely expanding the Cottage anyway, the design looked good.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulhams-new-80m-stand-will-increase-craven-cottage-capacity-to-29600-a3795481.html

So I expect they might move to Wembley anyway for the duration of the expansion, ala Spurs but whether Khan gets Wembley for the Jags in the mean time is another question and it seems to have gone pretty quiet on that front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,887 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Chelsea
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    They're definitely expanding the Cottage anyway, the design looked good.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulhams-new-80m-stand-will-increase-craven-cottage-capacity-to-29600-a3795481.html

So I expect they might move to Wembley anyway for the duration of the expansion, ala Spurs but whether Khan gets Wembley for the Jags in the mean time is another question and it seems to have gone pretty quiet on that front.

Oh that looks nice if those are the plans they go with.

Man Utd
    The Cottage is pretty run down but its got a good setting on the Thames, if they do use the above design I think it will be very quirky and iconic for a smaller sized stadium.

I like it anyway, beats a modern, sterilised 60k bowl hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11467742/new-season-new-rules-changes-to-the-laws-in-the-premier-league-for-the-201819-season

Biggest one is yellow cards. If booked in either the FA or League Cup they will not count towards your yellow card count in the league, players still need 5 yellows in league games to miss a the next league game, so no tactical yellow cards to miss a cup game you may well have not played in.

Liverpool
    GavRedKing wrote: »

People could bob in the Thames and look at the game through the glass, like the swimming pools in Khans NFL stadium...

https://aquamagazine.com/builder/football-and-the-spa.html

Man Utd
    People could bob in the Thames and look at the game through the glass, like the swimming pools in Khans NFL stadium...

https://aquamagazine.com/builder/football-and-the-spa.html

I wouldn't fancy taking a dip in the Thames. :pac:

Great idea for Florida though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Newcastle vs Spurs has been sloppy but entertaining. Home side are playing a bit like a newly promoted team with plenty of effort but far less in the way of talent. Spurs like last night seem to be understandably affected with the World Cup so recent. If this were 6 weeks down the line I think they'd be 2, maybe 3 up. Kane looks very leggy in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Man Utd
    Newcastle have been decent. If Benitez does stay, I think they'll probably be alright.

I'd imagine that, at least as far as his own interests go, Ashley will be largely vindicated by not spending.

Good enough to stay up. Not good enough to get Europe easily to warrant huge ambition, that would ultimately increase the selling price, which is all he cares about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Fulham
    Gbear wrote: »
    Newcastle have been decent. If Benitez does stay, I think they'll probably be alright.

I'd imagine that, at least as far as his own interests go, Ashley will be largely vindicated by not spending.

Good enough to stay up. Not good enough to get Europe easily to warrant huge ambition, that would ultimately increase the selling price, which is all he cares about.

Agreed, I was chatting with a friend last night about potential relegation teams and mentioned Newcastle. But I had forgotten Benitez was manager which is the only saving grace for that club.

Man Utd
    Spurs seem to take an inordinate amount of time over throw ins and goal kicks. I know they've got a lead to defend, and that all clubs will do similar. But they've been doing it for nearly all the second half. It'll be interesting to see what the ref adds on at the end of the 90 minutes, apart form the regulation 3 minutes; he warned Lloris earlier in the half and indicated he was going to add on for timewasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Arsenal

Rafa has to stay. He has to pay 6m if he leaves. Only way out is down tools and get sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Lukker- wrote: »
    Rafa has to stay. He has to pay 6m if he leaves. Only way out is down tools and get sacked.
    Absolute madness that he agreed to that clause, especially knowing what a tit Ashley is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

I love how Jorginho is jumping straight in and conducting and organising everything telling who to do what. City will rue not paying the extra few million when they could have. He's the perfect Pep player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Man Utd
    I love how Jorginho is jumping straight in and conducting and organising everything telling who to do what. City will rue not paying the extra few million when they could have. He's the perfect Pep player.

:confused: He had a straight choice between City and Chelsea, don't think it was a money issue.

JPA wrote: »
    :confused: He had a straight choice between City and Chelsea, don't think it was a money issue.

City nearly had the deal wrapped up before Chelsea were even in for him. It wasn't until Sarri became a viable option to replace Conte that they became interested. City had been monitoring him before last season ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Man Utd
    City nearly had the deal wrapped up before Chelsea were even in for him. It wasn't until Sarri became a viable option to replace Conte that they became interested. City had been monitoring him before last season ended.

I don't know what delayed the deal, but I never heard money being an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

There's surely going to be a plateau in TV revenue at some point, particularly domestically.

It'll be interesting to see what effect, if any Brexit has.
    A recession that limits discretionary spending might well hit subscriptions to sports packages, it could perhaps affect domestic and international credit and maybe even have an impact on foreigners' capacity to play in the UK.

That'll certainly be a stressful period for the industry, whether it's as calamitous as that or not.

Beyond that, the transition from traditional forms of broadcast to streaming will probably safeguard revenues long term, but could maybe disrupt things in a season. If Sky were to go tits up just before the season kicked off, maybe the broadcasting rights would be bought off them without any fuss, or maybe the PL would end up getting low-balled and it would have a dramatic effect on revenue.

BT is doing a massive reduction in work force and the old CEO who lead the football revolution is on the outs. I guess streaming is the next step for live games if BT were to pull out, but the big concern for the PL is that very few teams operate as a viable business if the money was even halved. If there ever is a correction in the TV money market, it's gonna be a bloodbath and I wont shed a tear for the teams spending like drunk lotto winners despite having **** all other revenue.

Man Utd
    Good win for us today. Huddersfield offered very little though truth be told.

3 0 is a bit flattering but I'll take the win and clean sheet and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Man Utd
    Cardiff are really not good.

Man Utd
    JPA wrote: »
    IIRC, the Sarri issue was a factor in him going to Chelsea in the end. It was disappointing, but we'll get on with things. Good luck to the fella, except when we play them, obviously!

Man Utd
    That Wolves shirt is quite a bit lighter than their traditional "old gold" colour.

Man Utd
    You can see what Wolves are about but they are not as good as the intended style of play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Man Utd
    Looked like a good challenge from Jagielka.

Goofball Peter Walton on BT saying it’s definitely a red.

Man Utd
    Harsh decision I think. Jags didn't argue the toss at all which is unusual in this day and age.

Neves really is a demon with a dead ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,481 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Man Utd
    Stunning free kick from Neves! 1-1 and Wolves have an extra man, you’d have to fancy them to win it now.

• Advertisement

Neves is some sexy c*nt

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement