Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018/2019 pt2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭omega man

Feel for the young lads who gave it everything today.

Still no away points this year reminds us why Wenger is going.

By the way what height is Ospina? Surely he should have saved that ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,484 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Wenger going out exactly as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Soups123

Boring game, switched off the telly for the second half and listened to the radio while doing some housework.

There has been no game in my entire life that I have seen that I would choose to turn off and do some house work.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Wenger going out exactly as expected.

We need a new start with new ideas, or at least belief. Was not expecting a win today, as Wenger right not to risk players with the tie against atletico on Thursday.

Not a bad result considering but it was dead rubber

Must give United, Ferguson and Mourinho their due very nice gesture before the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Poor really. Wenger has really tarnished this club because whoever comes on board has his work cut out. Half the team is just rubbish

Poor really. Wenger has really tarnished this club because whoever comes on board has his work cut out. Half the team is just rubbish

The whole thing just feels like a pity party. The man should have left YEARS ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

When Fabregas rvp and adebeyor was at arsenal and we still couldn't compete. That was when wenger should have gone! That team. Any manager would have got there panties wet managing that

When Fabregas rvp and adebeyor was at arsenal and we still couldn't compete. That was when wenger should have gone! That team. Any manager would have got there panties wet managing that

Wenger was far too nice with the likes of Adebayor and Gallas. They would have been dodging hot cups of coffee under Fergie.

Interesting story in Ray Parlours book. He returned to Arsenal to train and keep up his fitness around 08/09. He said Fabregas and Gallas were not on speaking terms. The club captain and the most influential player not talking to each other.....Says it all really. Wenger completely lost control.

Gallas should have been sold on after his embarrassing sulk in 2008 at St Andrews. Instead he remained club captain, was eventually removed as captain after criticising the team in the media back around October 2008, and stayed on until the summer of 2010. Wenger was far too loyal. You cant make two men be friends but if the team morale is being affected then its time to at the very least tell them grow up or ship out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

On a positive note players like AMN, Mavropanos and Chambers did really well. Excited for Mav, a great debut for him. Willock also did well when he came on.

Reiss was a disappointment tbh..needs a loan in Championship/ foreign league to prove his pedigree.

I think AMN should feature on Thursday and Chambers deserves a nod too.

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Someone like him would be underwhelming, why I was laughing at it.
    But when are these guys ready?

Look at simeone or conte, were they ready for atleti or juve? Idk the answer but it's the same for all of them, someone has to take chance with them.

Ancellotti has turned down the Italy job today.

You make very fair and good points.

Its hard to explain why UK managers seem to struggle under the weight of big clubs.

Harry Redknapp was arguably the most successful in the step up from Portsmouth to Tottenham (i know, i know they arent a big club :P) but then again Tottenham were bottom of the league under Juande Ramos when Harry took over so it made it that bit easier.. Added to that Harry had years of experience and was well respected.

In terms of relatively fresh managers, Rodgers taking the Liverpool job in 2012 was probably the most successful. He did benefit from Suarez and probably should have won the league. Rodgers seems to be of a different coaching mindset in that he is a student of a passing and attacking game even if he has his critics. He is more aligned to the Spanish style of play then an English one and while his spell didnt end well he still spent over 3 years at Liverpool and almost won the league. In modern football, it wasn't a bad spell really even if it didnt yield a trophy. Like Redknapp though, Rodgers didnt have as much to lose given he took over from the second coming of Kenny Dalglish which brought them nowhere in terms of getting into the Champions league

I suppose the best example i can think of is a comparison with how Gary Neville fared at Valencia and how much Pottechino has brought Tottenham on. I think the continent is well ahead in terms of coaching. That all said though, it could be just simply a player mindset thing too. Maybe Spain and Italy are more open to new fresh ideas?

Could Howe be a revelation at Arsenal? I fear not. Other than a short stint at Burnley, he has spent his whole club and managing career at Bournemouth. He has done a terrific job there to be fair but Arsenal is a whole different animal. Ray Parlour often refers to the fact that Bruce Rioch referenced 'When I was at Bolton' quite alot at Arsenal during his short spell much to the squads annoyance. Bruce stabilised Arsenal but its hard to say how he would have fared the following season. He clashed with Ian Wright who was Arsenal's top scorer

Moyes was so terrified of failing at United that he automatically had a damage limitation mindset. You spend 11 years or so at a very family oriented club where everyone from Chairman, Bill Kenwright to the cleaning lady are all like one big happy family and leave that to go out of your comfort zone and right into the belly of an absolute beast. For some reason on the continent, they manage the transition more successfully.

On a positive note players like AMN, Mavropanos and Chambers did really well. Excited for Mav, a great debut for him. Willock also did well when he came on.

Reiss was a disappointment tbh..needs a loan in Championship/ foreign league to prove his pedigree.

I think AMN should feature on Thursday and Chambers deserves a nod too.

Too much expectation on that poor kid. Still very young at 18. Id like to see what a new manager could do with him next season and im convinced that someone can make a player out of Iwobi yet. Optimistic I know, but he has the raw materials and is still young. A bit of guidance and leadership could make a huge difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,636 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Not a bad result considering but it was dead rubber

Must give United, Ferguson and Mourinho their due very nice gesture before the game.

Maybe, but I dunno it felt like Ferguson trying to sneakily prove he was still the Alpha in the relationship, even in retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

How much of a clear out do people think we need? I suspect that most of the players are actually performing well below their level and that over the summer if the new manager sorts out the defense which for me is probably the biggest problem then we wont need to change much in front of that personnel wise just the attitudes and tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

salmocab wrote: »
    How much of a clear out do people think we need? I suspect that most of the players are actually performing well below their level and that over the summer if the new manager sorts out the defense which for me is probably the biggest problem then we wont need to change much in front of that personnel wise just the attitudes and tactics.

I think we need an out and out winger that can take people on, alot of players that play out there drift in field and midfield gets too congested at times. Need someone to stretch the pitch.
    I think the likes of welbeck, and wilshere of he doesn't sign am extension will be moved on. Maybe ospina/cech if a new keeper comes in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,061 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It's funny how 2nd and an FA cup is a brilliant year for United, whereas when we done that recently we were classed as unsuccessful. :confused:

Quazzie wrote: »
    It's funny how 2nd and an FA cup is a brilliant year for United, whereas when we done that recently we were classed as unsuccessful. :confused:

And they haven't even won it yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Quazzie wrote: »

I'm still wondering why Spurs are considered so amazing now, considering the new all action Pochetino Spurs were supposed to be the main challenge to Leicester in the last few weeks of that season, and now, three seasons and zero trophies later, they're 4th.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I'm still wondering why Spurs are considered so amazing now, considering the new all action Pochetino Spurs were supposed to be the main challenge to Leicester in the last few weeks of that season, and now, three seasons and zero trophies later, they're 4th.

Context.

Spurs never win anything. In my lifetime I think they won a single league cup. It's the 1950s since they won a league. They're consistently average. Success = higher league place than Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

salmocab wrote: »

I think 4 or 5, you can send a few of the youngsters on loan too. Personally I wouldn't mind seen Cech, Ospina, Mustafi, Chambers and Welbeck sold. I could see Wilshire end up leaving. I be surprised if Ramsey signs another contract and that we don't cash in. Send the likes of Nelson, Iwobi and Holding out on loan.

But I don't see that many leaving I say two or three will leave and we bring in 3 or 4 this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Looper007 wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't mind seen Cech, Ospina, Mustafi, Chambers and Welbeck sold

But I don't see that many leaving I say two or three will leave and we bring in 3 or 4 this summer

Not a prayer they’ll offload both keepers but they do need rid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭emmetlego

L'prof wrote: »
    Not a prayer they’ll offload both keepers but they do need rid

Would be quite happy to keep Cech and offload Ospina if we got a real genuine world class prospect to work with Cech and the GK coach. Maybe Butland or the like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

anyone renewing their Arsenal membership for next year? Just renewed mine, so looking forward to next season :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

5star02707 wrote: »
    anyone renewing their Arsenal membership for next year? Just renewed mine, so looking forward to next season :D
    Cancelled mine 8 years ago.

Finally they took notice.....

5star02707 wrote: »

Haven't renewed yet, but will be soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So Buvac...

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Cech has to start on Thursday. As much as I think he's passed his best he's not a coward like that other imposter of a goalkeeper. That second goal was down to him. Afraid of getting a smack off a post rather than try and save the ball.

Hopefully MIKI plays like that on Thursday too. For all the good that Xhaka does, those defensive lapses are just unforgivable. Back four played really well and special mention to Chambers and Dinos who stepped up. I hope Kos and Mustafi take note and just do the basics right come Thursday.

I know it's the hope that kills you but I honestly think if there are no brain farts on Thursday night that we can do this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭wawaman

greendom wrote: »
    So Buvac...

I had a feeling it was going to be someone that was never mentioned and from left field

greendom wrote: »
    So Buvac...

Interesting. Are there any actual links or pure speculation based on his alleged break?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭wawaman

omega man wrote: »
    Interesting. Are there any actual links or pure speculation based on his alleged break?

The Bosnian paper that broke the news that he was joining Liverpool (before Rodgers was sacked) are reporting it today

• Advertisement

omega man wrote: »

Twitter has gone into overdrive and he's 2nd favourite with the bookies.

Bosnian paper reporting his move to Arsenal too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Well, for anyone lamenting the fact Arsenal didn't sack Wenger and get Klopp when he was available... I guess this is the next best thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

If the rumors are true and he actually has been chosen as our manager, wouldn't he still have seen out the rest of the season with Liverpool anyway? He has the opportunity to potential get to a CL final with them. I don't think I believe it.

Ronan14 wrote: »
    If the rumors are true and he actually has been chosen as our manager, wouldn't he still have seen out the rest of the season with Liverpool anyway? He has the opportunity to potential get to a CL final with them. I don't think I believe it.

I don’t believe it either but it could be a one time offer. Turn it down now and potentially never get such an opportunity again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭DenMan

Someone tweeted that Buvac's father is ill and he's visiting him. He also said that he was digging for information. It was posted in the Liverpool thread by GBX.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057860573&page=310

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I like Welbeck. That from a person who described him as a "piece of sh*t" signing when we got him. I get that he'll never be prolific, can't run very far without falling over but damn it the guy works hard. He doesn't disappear when things don't go his way instead he keeps on going.

Great attitude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

newbie2 wrote: »
    Cancelled mine 8 years ago.

Finally they took notice.....

Im still getting calls offering me season tickets every summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Renewing my 2 season tickets but moving to Ireland so not sure how much I will use them next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Pudders wrote: »
    Renewing my 2 season tickets but moving to Ireland so not sure how much I will use them next year.

Can always put up on ticket exchange it won't go to waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Or look after your boardsie pals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I like Welbeck. That from a person who described him as a "piece of sh*t" signing when we got him. I get that he'll never be prolific, can't run very far without falling over but damn it the guy works hard. He doesn't disappear when things don't go his way instead he keeps on going.

Great attitude

He's a very likeable player no doubt, I did really want him to succeed. But he's not at the level required to play for Arsenal, even as a bit part player.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

He reminds me of Paul McShane. Tried his hardest, always gives 100%, but at the end of the day just isnt good enough.

Great attitude

He's a very likeable player no doubt, I did really want him to succeed. But he's not at the level required to play for Arsenal, even as a bit part player.
    I think he is (as a bit part player)There are games where he really stretches the opposition defence and creates tons of space for our other forwards. Could do with happening more often but I think he's getting back to his best. Just a squad player though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Ospina to start tomorrow....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

Any chance of him growing a few inches/ ft by tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭emmetlego

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

Hunch or fact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Soooo...

How's everybody feeling? Nervous, but excited. Jesus, I'd love if we could beat these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭DenMan

Today's the day! Come on boys. We can do this! COYG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Best of luck tonight lads. Great to see Liverpool and Arsenal in two European finals in the one season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,479 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Soooo...

How's everybody feeling? Nervous, but excited. Jesus, I'd love if we could beat these.

Just cant see it happening, but I'm a pessimist by nature anyway, though The Arsenal make that quite an easy situation nowadays as I'm rarely disappointed.

Obviously hope I'm wrong but think its a step (team) too far for us.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement