Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Nadir Ciftci: Dundee United reject Celtic bid of £900,000

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33325172

"He's a headbanger Bill!"

Decent player but has a violent streak in him and not in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Dempsey wrote: »
    Nadir Ciftci: Dundee United reject Celtic bid of £900,000

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33325172

"He's a headbanger Bill!"

Decent player but has a violent streak in him and not in a good way.

Not a signing I'd be getting excited about, gives us a different option up front but not of the standard we need to get us to the CL group stages.

Hopefully that's as far as we'll go with our interest

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

He is a good young player but a total knuckle dragger that would be more at home at a few other choice clubs. "No thanks".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Celtic play Den Bosch this evening in a pre-season friendly, 7:45.

Playing at St Mirren Park for some reason?

RoryMac wrote: »
    Not a signing I'd be getting excited about, gives us a different option up front but not of the standard we need to get us to the CL group stages.

Hopefully that's as far as we'll go with our interest

Was watchin the Euro u-21 Final last night Sweden won on penalties and Guidetti played very well holding the ball up and leading the line. I still wish we had signed him on a permanent deal, but maybe his wages demands were too high. So we shop in the level below that, hence linked with Ciftci and others.

If Ciftci could screw the nut, he would be a better bet than another 2 million punt on the likes of a Pukki or Balde, at least we know Ciftci will definitely be good enough for the SPL. Wigan are interested in him as well seemingly.

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »

We have 3 friendlies at SMP while work is carried out at Paradise.

Buddies aren't happy :pac: 010715-shop.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

There's talk of McGeady coming back to Celtic Park. Would be a great signing.

CELTIC Football Club can confirm that it has completed the signing of Saidy Janko from Manchester United on a four year contract, subject to receiving satisfactory medical results which should hopefully be with the Club tomorrow morning.

Is this lad any good? Plays right back/midfield.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    There's talk of McGeady coming back to Celtic Park. Would be a great signing.
    In what way?
    Is this lad any good? Plays right back/midfield.
    Utd fans seem to think he's pretty good, which is promising. Not an area we needed to strengthen though.

Intifada wrote: »
    In what way?

Signing McGeady would be good in every way. Not working out for him at Everton, so if he's available at a reasonable price and wages he would most definitely strengthen the team. He has experience that would be very useful in the CL. If he's available at a good price, why wouldn't we sign him?

Utd fans seem to think he's pretty good, which is promising. Not an area we needed to strengthen though.

We have matthews and Lustig for right full back but Lustig keeps getting injured.

• Advertisement

We now have 5 players who can play RB. Deila was talking about cutting the squad down so can only assume Matthews and hopefully Ambrose are off.

In what way?

He would do very well with Celtic if he returned, IMO.

He would do very well with Celtic if he returned, IMO.
    But what makes you say that? He hasn't been particularly good for Everton, and we already have plenty of attacking midfielders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Soups123

But what makes you say that? He hasn't been particularly good for Everton, and we already have plenty of attacking midfielders.

Everton have a better more competitive squad play in a much more difficult league,

MeGeady coming back would be a huge signing for Celtic

Soups123 wrote: »
    Everton have a better more competitive squad play in a much more difficult league,

MeGeady coming back would be a huge signing for Celtic
    Our squad is already good enough for the SPL. The level we are looking to compete at is much higher than Everton.

Our squad is already good enough for the SPL. The level we are looking to compete at is much higher than Everton.

I dont get the last bit are you referring to the CL? Either way McGeady is a level up from a lot of the more recent signings, he is proven quality and for CL is a potential game changer.

I dont get the last bit are you referring to the CL? Either way McGeady is a level up from a lot of the more recent signings, he is proven quality and for CL is a potential game changer.

He's a much of muchness tbh. Id rate Mackay-Steven and Armstrong just as much if not more because they offer more end product than McGeady. Even a half fit james forrest isnt far off McGeady's level.

McGeady's end product lets down his game badly at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

McGeady is a shocking player. I believe the analogy is "all fart, no poo". All style no substance. Yeah he'll beat a man, then he'll shank it into row z. Thanks but no thanks. Leave the returning hero act to the other crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Ship out Derk bring back Aiden. Obviously it would significantly improve the squad. After Berget/Wakaso/Tonev temporary unsuccessful moves I'd imagine Delia would really fancy another winger.

Yes, the CL. If he's not able to cut it against the vastly overrated Premiership sides then he won't be able to be the difference in the CL. Who is keeping out of the Everton team, Aaron Lennon?

• Advertisement

Yes, the CL. If he's not able to cut it against the vastly overrated Premiership sides then he won't be able to be the difference in the CL. Who is keeping out of the Everton team, Aaron Lennon?

Thats just silly. Everton are trying to compile a squad a lot stronger than Celtic are regardless of Champions League.

Aaron Lennon would also be a smashing signing for Celtic. Celtic mostly compete with teams in the English Championship when it comes to signing players at best lower level PL.

I guess some of us have aspirations higher than becoming some ****ty little irrelevant EPL side. Our board agrees with you, mind.

I guess some of us have aspirations higher than becoming some ****ty little irrelevant EPL side. Our board agrees with you, mind.

What is this on about?

Recently we've signed:

The likes of Kelvin Wilson (Forest), Kris Commons (Derby), Leigh Griffiths (didn't do well at Wolves never made it to EPL), Saidy Janko (Man United Reserves), Dedryck Boyata, John Guidetti (not impressive at Stoke), & Jason Denayer (Man City Reserves), Jo Inge Berget (Cardiff), Aleksandar Tonev (Villa Reserves). Are we suppose to be aiming for Pedro or Jese? Maybe Pirlo?
    We normally sign from ****ty Championship clubs or EPL Reserves. Or have I missed a few Galactico signings last few days? Or is this the "Soccer Manager" forum?

Or do you not think McGeady better than Derk? Should Derk be at Chelsea?

The problem is not that some of our fans think we should players who aren't good enough for midtable EPL dross. The problem is our board do.

If you think McGeady has the potential to develop into a great player, like we did with some of those signings, then fair enough. As he is 29 I would disagree.

The problem is not that some of our fans think we should players who aren't good enough for midtable EPL dross. The problem is our board do.

If you think McGeady has the potential to develop into a great player, like we did with some of those signings, then fair enough. As he is 29 I would disagree.

Not every signing is about development, you want to improve your starting 11 and McGeady would do that.

The league is what it is the majority of EPL dross improves it. The approach of signing players young isnt to develop and use them, its to develop and sell them

This can be done whilst winning the league and representing the club 'well' in Europe. There is not a lot more the club can do unless the rest of the league improves.

Because signing to develop the likes of Fridjonnsson & Balde was a total success. Buying finished article is better than taking a punt on a "developing" player. We've had enough "developing" disasters thanks.

Not every signing is about development, you want to improve your starting 11 and McGeady would do that.

The league is what it is the majority of EPL dross improves it. The approach of signing players young isnt to develop and use them, its to develop and sell them

This can be done whilst winning the league and representing the club 'well' in Europe. There is not a lot more the club can do unless the rest of the league improves.

Its highly debatable if mcgeady would improve our starting 11. His game suits how other SPL setup against Celtic. His dithering style allows teams to get defensive shape, allows him to be doubled up on. He's not fixed that flaw in his game, it was a flaw then and a flaw now. Celtic now have wingers that play at a higher tempo to him

Forrest, Armstrong & Mackay-Steven can all dribble at high speed, commit players and drive at goal. Thats what Deila wants, not McGeady.

Seems Matthews is off to Sunderland, probably unlucky not to play more games but for me definitely behind Lustig when both are fit.

Not sure what the fee is but hopefully has a sell on clause as if he can stay fit he'll be destined for a move to a bigger side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

RoryMac wrote: »
    Seems Matthews is off to Sunderland, probably unlucky not to play more games but for me definitely behind Lustig when both are fit.

Not sure what the fee is but hopefully has a sell on clause as if he can stay fit he'll be destined for a move to a bigger side

£2m.

Is he any good? What type of player? I know absolutely nothing about him.

• Advertisement

He has the potential to be very good but has suffered with injuries in his time at Celtic. He's an attacking full back but good defensively, decent crosser of the ball & good engine.

If he stays fit I think he'll be a very good signing for you especially at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭eire4

Paully D wrote: »
    £2m.

Is he any good? What type of player? I know absolutely nothing about him.

I liked him. Given we already signed Janko to come in at right back and Matthews was entering the last year of his contract I can see why he was sold. We got him for free so to get 2m for him is decent business. He is a very consistent player. Good going forward very good pace and a solid defender.

TheCitizen wrote: »

Watched the game earlier today and was very surprised at how sharp and good we looked especially in the first half given it was the first pre season game for us. GMS was simply unplayable. Rogic had a very good shift in central midfield while Boyata looked very comfortable at center back. Very good outing all in all.

Matthews is a solid full back, when fit. Decent long throw on him aswell. His problem was when he came back from injury, other players would be flying fit and he'd have to bide his time and when he did get his chance, he was rusty but you knew if he got a run of games, you'd see good games from him.

We are flush when it comes to right backs at the moment so I suppose its the right time for him to go if he's wanting more guarantees about starts. Got him on a free transfer, 4 years of good service and £2m for him when he goes, cant complain really. I hope there is a sell on clause going in there somewhere because he's only 23! I look forward to seeing him play in the EPL.

A deal has been agreed between the two Clubs for Ciftci.

Amido Balde is off to Metz on a free it looks like after he had his contract terminated by mutal consent and Celtic have signed 29 year old Belgian keeper Logan Bailly for Louven for 250,000 I would assume to replace Zaluska as backup to Craig Gordon.

• Advertisement

Martin Odegaard on loan is doing the rounds, again...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Ciftci official now. Happy with that signing tbh, I think he'll do a job for us. Only 23 as well, plenty of potential!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,279 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Agree with you Paulo

Pleasing performance tonight against Real Sociedad.

Ciftci set up Mackay Stevens' goal. He'll be a good signing, though he faces a ban.

I think he finds out on July 20th how long he gets banned for from that biting incident last season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

When will the potential ban decision be made? And would it affect CL qualifiers? How many games are we talking about?

Dempsey wrote: »
    Pleasing performance tonight against Real Sociedad.

Especially in the second half I thought we did a good job of keeping the ball and really getting at them and creating some good chances. Ciftci looked very lively when he came on as well.

Well folks our season kicks off tonight at home to Stjarnan in the CL qualifiers. These qualifiers come around so quickly, and of course our opponents are usually well into their seasons as Stjarnan are - 11 games in. They've had a poor start to their season sitting in 6th in the league at the moment. Of course, it's a must win game really and you'd think that anything other than a comprehensive win is failure. We should be well capable of a decent win at home against these guys.

Commons is out injured, everyone else available. Will be interesting to see who Deila plays, especially of the new bhoys Janko, Boyata and Ciftci.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

PauloMN wrote: »
    Well folks our season kicks off tonight at home to Stjarnan in the CL qualifiers. These qualifiers come around so quickly, and of course our opponents are usually well into their seasons as Stjarnan are - 11 games in. They've had a poor start to their season sitting in 6th in the league at the moment. Of course, it's a must win game really and you'd think that anything other than a comprehensive win is failure. We should be well capable of a decent win at home against these guys.

Commons is out injured, everyone else available. Will be interesting to see who Deila plays, especially of the new bhoys Janko, Boyata and Ciftci.

Is the match on TV ?

gustafo wrote: »
    Is the match on TV ?

Away leg is but not tonight's home game as far as I know. Only on Celtic TV for subscribers outside of the UK and Ireland.

PauloMN wrote: »

I think Griffiths will start up front ahead of Ciftci. Boyata will probably make his competitive debut though at center back as Van Dijk is suspended. Right back may be the most up for grabs. With Lustig still not back 100% does he risk him in a game we should win or does he save him and play maybe Ambrose at right back given Janko has only just arrived.

CELTIC v FC Stjarnan: Gordon; Lustig, Boyata, Mulgrew, Izaguirre; Brown, Bitton; Mackay-Steven, Johansen, Armstrong; Ciftci

subs: Ambrose, Griffiths, Stokes, Rogic, Bailly, Forrest, Fisher

Our midfield is looking very strong these days. Will be watching Boyata with keen interest to see how he looks. I know it should be a relatively easy game, but a big ask for two new players to start in a CL qualifier. Fans won't be long getting on their backs if things go wrong!

No arguments about that lineup although that back line is rusty and lacking competitive gametime together. I dont think that will be exposed tonight as the midfield will run riot. Important not to have a slow start and give the opposition something to play for

Decent start from Celtic, plenty of chances but you can see the lack of games in the final ball. Should be at least 1 up already, but it looks like just a matter of time to be honest. Stjarnan not up to much so far. Ciftci and Johansen both with decent chances.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement