Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

deed of transfer

Options
  • 15-12-2018 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

I am doing the conveyancing on my house purchase for two reasons
    1) I am a cheap charlie
    2) I hate lawyers and object to using them

Up to this date we have exchanged contracts and completion has taken place...piece of cake

At present I am have minor problems with the revenue stamp duty people...but I believe i can sort out that part of the transaction

However, after the stamp duty has been paid I have the presentation of papers at the registry office (four courts) to deal with, and of course pay their fee

Looking at it looks simple enough
    there is a transfer date at the top of the document which the vendor lawyer has left blank. I assume date of completion has to be inserted

Then below there are spaces for vendor signatures which have been left blank, but a stamp with signature and seal (of selling bank)are in place i assume these replace the vendor signatures.

Now comes the bad part where the document asks for signatures of me and my wife in that we are the new owners...well with difficulty we can manage to do our own signatures, but the document also asks for details of witness and signature of witness

Do I have to pay a lawyer to witness my signature??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Are you the buyer or the seller?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭beaufoy

i am the buyer
    ravima wrote: »
    Are you the buyer or the seller?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭gk5000

Can't offer much advice, but I applaud your efforts.
    Legal profession seem to be taking the p in fees and people seen to think they have to use them.

I guess a witness can be anyone and not necessarily a lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭blueythebear

beaufoy wrote: »
    I am doing the conveyancing on my house purchase for two reasons
    1) I am a cheap charlie
    2) I hate lawyers and object to using them

Up to this date we have exchanged contracts and completion has taken place...piece of cake

At present I am have minor problems with the revenue stamp duty people...but I believe i can sort out that part of the transaction

However, after the stamp duty has been paid I have the presentation of papers at the registry office (four courts) to deal with, and of course pay their fee

Looking at it looks simple enough
    there is a transfer date at the top of the document which the vendor lawyer has left blank. I assume date of completion has to be inserted

Then below there are spaces for vendor signatures which have been left blank, but a stamp with signature and seal (of selling bank)are in place i assume these replace the vendor signatures.

Now comes the bad part where the document asks for signatures of me and my wife in that we are the new owners...well with difficulty we can manage to do our own signatures, but the document also asks for details of witness and signature of witness

I'm amazed that the Estate Agent and Vendors have agreed to deal with you without a solicitor.

Unfortunately, i can't answer your question as the site does not allow legal advice, but a piece of general advice is that if you scrimp on legal fees now, it is likely that you are going to have to pay for it later. I'm not even sure that the land registry will allow you proceed with the transaction without a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

A witness to the execution of a deed does not have to be a lawyer.

• Advertisement

taking for granted I do not want to pay a lawyer...how do I go about asking people to be a witness...can i ask citizen advice...are there people other lawyers who i can pay to be a witness

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

You could ask the checkout lady in your local SuperValu but the register might not accept that.

You can’t get free legal advice here .. but maybe try a commissioner of oaths

whippet wrote: »
    You could ask the checkout lady in your local SuperValu but the register might not accept that.

You can’t get free legal advice here .. but maybe try a commissioner of oaths

as far as my knowledge extends it is possible to retrieve and give free legal advice, but people are restricted from paying for or receiving via payment. Having said that there are exceptions such as mc kenzies friend where expenses can be given or received

Mod
    This thread is for legal discussion rather than legal advice. You should look elsewhere for advice on your transaction

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

taking for granted I do not want to pay a lawyer...how do I go about asking people to be a witness...can i ask citizen advice...are there people other lawyers who i can pay to be a witness
    Any adult can witness the execution of a deed, though for preference it should be someone who is not themselves a party to the transaction to which the deed gives effect.

A friend or family member will usually do it for nothing.

Advertisement