Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hive location

Options
  • 17-12-2018 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭

Never kept bees, have three or four old stone ruins of sheds scattered about the land. They have no roof, but four walls standing. Would it be suitable to locate some hives within the shelter of these walls. We are very exposed to the atlantic, I was thinking the shelter might be good. But, would the walls be an issue blocking sunlight getting to the hives, might frost also be an issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭victor8600

badtoro wrote: »
    Never kept bees, have three or four old stone ruins of sheds scattered about the land. They have no roof, but four walls standing. Would it be suitable to locate some hives within the shelter of these walls. We are very exposed to the atlantic, I was thinking the shelter might be good. But, would the walls be an issue blocking sunlight getting to the hives, might frost also be an issue?

You understanding is correct. It is good to shelter the hives from strong winds, and also not to put them in a permanent shade. Pick a wall that gets more sunshine and put your hives along this wall?

Also, if you could put a roof over one of the sheds, you may try an experiment -- keep a couple of hives in the covered shed and the rest outside. It could be that bees would do better if they live in a dry hive even it means less sunshine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Another option I liked was a little wooden shed or trailer containing a few hives, mostly covered from the elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭victor8600

badtoro wrote: »
    Another option I liked was a little wooden shed or trailer containing a few hives, mostly covered from the elements.

Great idea. With a trailer, you can also move your bees around to where the flowers are at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Or maybe just leave them in the one spot, so you don't disrupt them as much.

Advertisement