Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,821 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Did Seamus Coleman pick up a knock in the Everton game? Started out as a RWB and was taken off in the 57th minute for Walcott and Everton seemed to go to a back four.

Think Browne has now got the same number of league goals as David McGoldrick and more assists. Hopefully he gets a chance under the new managment to impress.

He's on a good run of form in fairness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Did Seamus Coleman pick up a knock in the Everton game? Started out as a RWB and was taken off in the 57th minute for Walcott and Everton seemed to go to a back four.

Think Browne has now got the same number of league goals as David McGoldrick and more assists. Hopefully he gets a chance under the new managment to impress.

Coleman was hauled off after another poor showing apparently and is getting a good bit of abuse from the Everton fans again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Yeah he seems to be one of the most negative source of conversation amongst the fans now but then again Everton fans can be very hard to muster a balanced opinion from since the Summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,213 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Patww79 wrote: »
    Coleman was hauled off after another poor showing apparently and is getting a good bit of abuse from the Everton fans again.

He's been poor since the injury imo.

Surely Coleman himself is more frustrated than those fans? Never got that mentality tbh, when has abusing players ever resulted in turnaround in form. All over the kicking of a ball ffs.. :rolleyes:

Eod100 wrote: »
    Surely Coleman himself is more frustrated than those fans? Never got that mentality tbh, when has abusing players ever resulted in turnaround in form. All over the kicking of a ball ffs.. :rolleyes:

I think you are taking the context of the phrase "abusing" to another level. Fans are being critical of him, same as any player when they are under performing.

These are fans that see him week in week out so there has to be a point where frustrations can lead to the odd "ffs, wake up" from the stand.

I would imagine the frustrations of a fan can't be really compared to the frustrations of a player anyway. They are different sides of the border, the whole "all over the kicking of a ball" stuff kind of diminishes the whole concept of what a fan's role is anyway,

I think you are taking the context of the phrase "abusing" to another level. Fans are being critical of him, same as any player when they are under performing.

These are fans that see him week in week out so there has to be a point where frustrations can lead to the odd "ffs, wake up" from the stand.

I would imagine the frustrations of a fan can't be really compared to the frustrations of a player anyway. They are different sides of the border, the whole "all over the kicking of a ball" stuff kind of diminishes the whole concept of what a fan's role is anyway,

Wasn't watching it so dunno what abuse was but I would have thought it was more than ''ffs, wake up'' if it merited comment to be fair. Not wanting to get into a whole thing over it tbh so will leave it there

Eod100 wrote: »
    Wasn't watching it so dunno what abuse was but I would have thought it was more than ''ffs, wake up'' if it merited comment to be fair. Not wanting to get into a whole thing over it tbh so will leave it there

People are talking about social media response here, twitter, fan forums.............. I don't think any poster was there at the match to witness any significant verbal abuse!

It is a respectful criticism. Coleman is a modern day legend at Everton at this stage so he must be really underperforming if there is this general unanimous verdict that he needs to be replaced or at least not play as frequent.

I am not sure what sort of abuse you are contemplating is being aimed at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Coleman has been very very poor since his return for Everton. Will probably be out of the team soon. He cant cope with the best wingers 1 on 1 and not offering much going forward. Seems to have lost a yard of pace was never technically that gifted. Hopefully he can improve

Could just unfortunately be a case of never coming back right from that injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Coleman should’ve left Everton years ago when he was linked with moves to other clubs. He should have got his agent to get him a move. That’s what he gets for being “loyal” to Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Coleman should’ve left Everton years ago when he was linked with moves to other clubs. He should have got his agent to get him a move. That’s what he gets for being “loyal” to Everton.

Everton offered him a big contract extension whilst his leg was in sh1te. I think his loyalty to the club has been reciprocated!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Salmon wrote: »
    Everton offered him a big contract extension whilst his leg was in sh1te. I think his loyalty to the club has been reciprocated!
    Some of their fans turning on him now. He should have left them years ago.

I see the Under 19 keeper, Mark Travers was on the bench again for Bournemouth against Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Darryl Horgan has had a fall from grace, not long ago he was tearing up the loi, people were screaming for him in the international setup, finally gets a big move to the UK and capped for his country. Started off brightly at Preston, scoring and playing regularly. Now he's on loan at Hibs and struggling to get into the side. Another couple of years he could find himself back in the LOI.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭sacamano

Not totally on topic but Jonny Williams had a good, brief word to say about McCarthy in that Sunderland doc. Basically that McCarthy and Coleman were the only ones who made him feel unafraid on the pitch. I've had little interest in the national team over the past ten years but nice to see him back at the helm. Always had him down as one of the good ones in the game.

Darryl Horgan has had a fall from grace, not long ago he was tearing up the loi, people were screaming for him in the international setup, finally gets a big move to the UK and capped for his country. Started off brightly at Preston, scoring and playing regularly. Now he's on loan at Hibs and struggling to get into the side. Another couple of years he could find himself back in the LOI.

He plays week in, week out ? I think he has played more minutes than majority of players in the Hibs first team squad?

I wouldn't say he has had any fall from grace. And he only scored a couple of goals for Preston also.

Apparently he was brilliant against Celtic when they beat them at the weekend

He is doing grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

He plays week in, week out ? I think he has played more minutes than majority of players in the Hibs first team squad?

I wouldn't say he has had any fall from grace. And he only scored a couple of goals for Preston also.

Apparently he was brilliant against Celtic when they beat them at the weekend

He is doing grand.

Yep had a great game against Celtic. He's started 11 of the 17 games, came on as a sub in 5 games and didn't play in the away game against Hearts, think he's played more centrally in a few games also this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Story on the indo website that Rice is back in the fold. Personally I would have told him to take a hike, but it is a big coup for Mick if true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/fai-confident-following-talks-between-declan-rice-and-mick-mccarthy-37646718.html

Headline got my attention, as I thought there was some major breakthrough. But reading the article, nothing much has changed at all!

Apparently McCarthy also tracking Bamford, who scored the winner for Leeds with his first touch last weekend.

If Bamford and Rice came in, while I can't pretend I'll ever have posters of either on my wall given their commitment issues, it would further dispel the stink of failure, doom and gloom over the last 2 years of O'Neill and Keane's tenure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I'm extremely late to this as been away from the thread but Jack Byrne has left Kilmarnock and joined Shamrock Rovers.

I'm a broken record but hopefully he can turn his career back around. It's been a steady decline after breaking into the scene. He's been struggling for playing time and took the decision to move back to Ireland.

Still only 22 and you would hope that regular football (if he can earn his spot) will only serve him well and kick him on a bit. Such a talented player and I thought it was going to go differently for him. Think more Irish youngsters who have struggled in Britain are looking towards returning home and rebuilding their careers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Apparently McCarthy also tracking Bamford, who scored the winner for Leeds with his first touch last weekend.

If Bamford and Rice came in, while I can't pretend I'll ever have posters of either on my wall given their commitment issues, it would further dispel the stink of failure, doom and gloom over the last 2 years of O'Neill and Keane's tenure.

It would further show how poisonous the atmosphere around the squad was under O'Neill and Keane. Wonder if Liam Kelly might consider coming back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I wouldnt bother with bamford, his first choice is to play for england plus his goal scoring record is bad and thats in the championship so he would probably never score at international level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I wouldnt bother with bamford, his first choice is to play for england plus his goal scoring record is bad and thats in the championship so he would probably never score at international level.

Exactly. It's not as if David Healy had a bad record at club level yet still managed to bang in goals at international level. Oh wait...

• Advertisement

He was Championship Player of the Year in 2015, he was also nominated for young player but Dele Alli won.

I agree about his first choice so wouldn't go begging him to play for us. He made his decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

I’m a middlesboro fan and the fans where gutted he was sold he nearly single handled drag boot up the table last year. I would love see him in a Ireland shirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I would welcome Bamford into the fold if he wanted to play for us, seems to be something different to the usual types of strikers we have available and could very well be playing PL football next season if Leeds keep going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

He's a bit of a Dave Kitson or Connor Wickham - harbouring an England call-up but slowly dawning on him that he's a Championship-level striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It would further show how poisonous the atmosphere around the squad was under O'Neill and Keane. Wonder if Liam Kelly might consider coming back

Anyone who was dense enough to think Roy and Martin were going to be in charge for their whole career shouldn't be called up.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Anyone who was dense enough to think Roy and Martin were going to be in charge for their whole career shouldn't be called up.

I suspect footballers have an idea that managers don't stay forever.

But they might stay long enough to seriously harm a career. How many caps did Wes Hoolahan get in his prime under the last regime? How did Andy Reid fare? Not that either had choices...but the English born players do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I suspect footballers have an idea that managers don't stay forever.

But they might stay long enough to seriously harm a career. How many caps did Wes Hoolahan get in his prime under the last regime? How did Andy Reid fare? Not that either had choices...but the English born players do.
    If you believe you are Irish (being happy to wear the jersey) then how wcould you decide to play for England? You cant have really thought yourself Irish in the first place. This isn't club football where you can transfer around to your hearts content.
    Any of them could have just dismissed the England links straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Reports that Rice is to 'imminently' declare for Ireland. This seems a bit more forward than the other article.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/declan-rice-set-to-commit-to-ireland-1.3739529?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The English FA made an approach and Rice is reported to have travelled to St George’s Park where a presentation was made on the opportunities that might be open to him in the country’s international set up over the coming years.

I'm imagining a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation or am I taking this up wrong :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭polarbearhead

People should cut him some slack. He’s potentially turning his back on one of the most promising England team in years to play for us. He’s 19 and got his head turned by his agent and Gareth Southgate. I say get over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,878 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Mick gets him to declare for Ireland he deserves a contract extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

People should cut him some slack. He’s potentially turning his back on one of the most promising England team in years to play for us. He’s 19 and got his head turned by his agent and Gareth Southgate. I say get over it

100%

A stupid rule in the first place and a young lad looking to get a new deal at West Ham where his agent would certainly have been in his ear about more money if playing for England.

I just hope the FAI haven't jumped the gun in releasing any information but fair play to FAI, McCarthy or whoever it was that showed him the best move is to stay with us.

He will be an excellent addition for the qualifiers and a likely future captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

I think if he declares for us it is a big positive. Agree he should be cut some slack. Also, this guy has the potential to be good enough for England's squad so it's not a case of a B team England player electing to join Ireland as a fallback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Excellent news if true, and fair play to McCarthy if he comes through. I was in the "He can fùck off if he thinks he can come back" camp, but the more I think about it, he's still pretty much a kid at 19. When I was 19, I was still sticking crayons up my nose ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Duff wrote: »
    Excellent news if true, and fair play to McCarthy if he comes through. I was in the "He can fùck off if he thinks he can come back" camp, but the more I think about it, he's still pretty much a kid at 19. When I was 19, I was still sticking crayons up my nose ffs.

I'd say a lot were like that but in fairness as you say he is 19 and born and raised in London. His mates would all be English. He was approached by the English FA. If he declares we are fortunate he was raised with a strong enough influence of his Irish heritage that he would prefer to play for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I was sticking them up my arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Great news if it happens.

Would you take Grealish back if it happened.

Hasn’t played for E Senior team yet so not impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

FLOOPER wrote: »

Don't think it is possible once you change once but open to correction.

But no - I wouldn't

I'll believe this when I see or hear quotes from him. Seems to be a lot of jumping the gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

FLOOPER wrote: »

Not possible - you can only switch once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

He's a bit of a Dave Kitson or Connor Wickham - harbouring an England call-up but slowly dawning on him that he's a Championship-level striker

I always find this type of logic funny. An Englishman with an obscure ancestral link to Ireland isn't good enough for England so he automatically must want an Ireland cap and should be grateful for it. In Wickham's case his link is Northern Ireland so it actually requires two controversial leaps - Granny rule and robbing a player from the Nordies.
    I applaud the Mark Noble`s of the world who give us a straight no. There`s decency in being honest.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

You think it was just his agent and Southgate?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if David Gold himself threatened to not pay him if he didn't declare for England. Gold said he saw Rice as the next Bobby Moore and he would absolutely have the grapefruits to pull a stunt like this.

Between his agent, Southgate, Gold, O'Neill, Keane, his father, Pellegrini, West Ham team-mates, Ireland team-mates, potential England team-mates, someone like Lee Carsley and I'm sure there's plenty more where that came from all putting pressure on him, I don't blame him for stepping away to think about it.

There was an interview in the Times a few weeks ago, where he said any speculation about him picking England was completely untrue, which says to me that he genuinely had to step away and that it's weighing up on his mind more than the average Joe thinks it is.

If he comes back, then I for one will welcome him back with open arms. I hope the 'best fans in the world' do so as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,900 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Or maybe your actually in the "fúck it, we bloody well need the best we can get" camp ;)

Alan Browne has been dropped, he'd been doing well too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Alan Browne has been dropped, he'd been doing well too.

Rested?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement