Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seiko divers

Options
  • 15-12-2018 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Have a Seiko diver on my wish list but could someone point me to somewhere I can learn the different specs. PADI I understand..but tuna-turtle-samurai etc have me baffled.

Thanks

Comments

Tuna, turtle and samurai are just nicknames for different model families. The tuna looks like a tuna can. The turtle looks like has a big distinctive case shape like the back of turtle. The samurai got its name from it's sword-shaped hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

Movements.

7s26 (a, b or c) - old movement, no handwind or hacking, day and date.
    4r - next gen 7s, with handwind and hacking. #36 is day and date, 35 is date. 38 is open heart (I think).
    6r is an uprated 4r but spron mainspring for longer life and is regulated to better time accuracy.
    All divers have hardlex over sapphire as they will scratch but not catastrophically fail unlike tougher but more prone to shatter sapphire.
    PADI is just a semi-speacial edition with extra red bits.
    J is for Japan market (not made in Japan), k is for non-japan market (no claim of manufacturing origin either).
    Divers means individually tested to spec.
    200m is not 200m actual depth.
    Seiko movements are designed to be worn constantly and last a long time between services (cheaper to drop a new movement in) but at the expense of accuracy until you start getting to the "8" series and above and then they give anything from Switzerland a run for their money.

saccades wrote: »
    All divers have hardlex over sapphire as they will scratch but not catastrophically fail unlike tougher but more prone to shatter sapphire.
    Seiko have many divers with sapphire crystal. Typically higher end although not always.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭emo72

Up to 200 euro is the skx007. Hard to beat at that price. If you want to go up again get the sumo, black or blue, possible to get them on eBay for 450. I have both and can say they are best value for money. I wish hdmi was still around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Back in 1985 I was serving in Northern Ireland and was persuaded to buy myself the Seiko Divers 150 series with the black polycarbonate shroud around the case - the so-called 'Arnie' model, a nickname it earned because Mr Schwartzenegger wore one in a movie. I still have it, it all still works, and it keeps excellent time. Sadly the rubber strap 'died' a couple of years back, but while I was in the PNW last year I found a Seiko dealership that had OE replacements for around $25.

I have only one other Seiko, a Divers 150 that was bought in the Dutch PX in Rheindahlen in 1978 - that too is an example of what a watch should be like - as accurate as a madly accurate thing, not costy to 'refill', and, to be honest, a better timekeeper than any of my other watches, var none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Many thanks for all your replies. See a few PADI models on adverts at the minute....

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Many thanks for all your replies. See a few PADI models on adverts at the minute....

I have my PADI Samurai for sale on adverts

http://www.adverts.ie/16282761

Bought it in Japan and it's the "made in Japan version"

Really cool watch, different from the standard samurai as it has a wave/sand textured dial also it's got fuel coloured lume which is blue and green.

Selling to make way for a new oyster perpetual 36 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,097 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Are these Padi's large?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

NIMAN wrote: »
    Are these Padi's large?

Depends what model, they go from about 43mm to 45mm

• Registered Users Posts: 33,097 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

2shea wrote: »
    Depends what model, they go from about 43mm to 45mm

That's large to XL in my book! (small wrists).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Thanks 2shea...but a bit too strong for me this time of year....though my mother was an o Shea so we could be related lol and thereby qualify. For a freebie!!!!!! Lol

Glws and happy Christmas to everyone on this forum,.

Roy

Advertisement