Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So I started watching Heroes...

• 26-01-2012 3:05pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I don't know why I never watched Heroes when it was being broadcast, but I never did.

When I started my free months Netflix trial last night, the first thing we noticed was, you guess it, Heroes.

We watched the first episode just to test Netflix, and we ended up watching the first 4 episodes and we loved it. The gf especially thought it was brilliant.

Now, I know the series goes to the dogs around series 3 right?

My question is...does it get so bad that I should just stop watching now to avoid any heartbreak? :(

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You should watch it for the 1st season alone. It really is very good. It definitely starts to suffer from than on though, with the 2nd and 3rd seasons being particularly bad. Season 4 was better, but it never got back to how good season 1 was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Kiith wrote: »
    You should watch it for the 1st season alone. It really is very good. It definitely starts to suffer from than on though, with the 2nd and 3rd seasons being particularly bad. Season 4 was better, but it never got back to how good season 1 was.

Couldnt agree more with this. Season 1 is fantastic and as said by Kiith, definitely worth a watch. They do go downhill, and quite rapidly. I was a major fan and i've yet to watch Season 4.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

We just finished watching 0.07% last night and I have to say, ye all must have been heartbroken by the demise of the quality.

We're absolutely loving Heroes and we are both prepared for the worst as he head to season 2.

I'm hoping that watching it box-set style rather than weekly episodes will make it more watchable.

I'm so late with this, but really like Mr. Bennetts character :) Yes, 2006 want's its viewer comment back.

Ok, we finished series 2 and are 4 episodes through series 3.

I think the show holds up much better for the first time viewer when watched as a box-set rather than on a weekly basis.

Sure, it's not as good as series 1 but it's nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. I'll admit that I'm not the biggest fan of series 3 so far but series 2 was pretty decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

^^It's just about to get ridiculously awful. Imo, it gets good again from ep14. Season 4 was crap again though, save a few things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Season 1 is incredible. One of the best seasons of anything I've ever seen.

I enjoyed Season 2, I didn't think it merited the backlash it got. I was very entertained by it.

Season 3, well that's better taken in two parts. "Villains" was one of the worst heaps of tripe that I have ever seen. "Fugitives" was good, sometimes excellent, sometimes a small bit boring. (Look out for the Bryan Fuller episode in fugitives, a true treat.)

Season 4 was okay. There were some moments that I really enjoyed and others that I absolutely hated. I've seen a lot worse than Season 4 of Heroes though.

I'm coming towards the end of my Heroes adventure and I have to say I have really enjoyed it, as has the gf.

We're about 13 episodes into season 4. I have to agree that the first half of season 3 was pretty poor in parts, but I think that watching them one after the other, as opposed to waiting for one each week, made it far more watchable. Season 1 was superb and season 2 was very good after a bumpy start, although I did find that they writers were struggling to find a story to match the excellence of season 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

I started watching season 1 a few weeks back and finished off the season finale last night. I definitely won't be continuing onto season 2.

The last 5 episodes just dragged like mad for me. It was all about the predicted death of sylar, and only in the last 10 minutes did it actually come to a head. It reminded me of the Homeland series, all about a big finale then hollywood kicks in with season 2 preparations. Sylar crawled into the bloody sewer so they can make another bloody series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

I was in the exact same boat Futureguy. We loved season 1. Then it steadily got worse and worse to the point we havent bothered watching it in about a month.

Just the ridiculousness of it all. Random stories for no reason, one minute hes good the next minute hes bad etc etc. Load of rubbish towards the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

as above, loved season 1....best show ever. I vaguely remember season 2 ended abruptly?(was that the writers strike).....i watched season 3 - well i think i did. i have the boxset 1-3....but i cant remember if i saw season four?? last i remember was the funfair coming into it...and that annoying irish man...and the harpist who ...harped....and blah blah blah... definately abandoned it at this point. was that the end of season four or three???

is it worth watching to the end? will i be satisfied with it or did it end before it knew it was cancelled...ie, with a cliffhanger for season 5???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

To repeat what was said already loved season 1 & 2. I only recently got the boxset for season 3 and while on an individual basis the episodes were entertaining I don't think the overall story line stands up to much scrutiny. There are more holes in the plot than a moth eaten sieve.

I wasn't going to bother with season 4 but it seems to get a few thumbs up here. Does anyone think it is worth it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I watched the first episode yesterday, thought it was a pretty well-formed pilot. Reminded me of Sense8, in a way. I liked that it wasn't just snap, they have their abilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

The first episode of the original series or the first episode of Heroes Reborn which kicked off last week??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Original, apologies.

I've watched up to 1.04 and that one was written by Bryan Fuller who was the showrunner of Hannibal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Heroes Reborn season 3 was a big ****. I am not watching this show right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

BBC 2 are showing the first season of Heroes starting tonight from 10:30pm with a double bill. Surprised to see them giving it a prominent mainstream spot, although I did really enjoy the first season back in the day.

Haven't rewatched it since then despite it being on a few streaming services.

Anyone watch it back again, or perhaps intending to give it a go for the first time? I'm quite curious to see how well it holds up after nearly 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

BBC 2 are showing the first season of Heroes starting tonight from 10:30pm with a double bill. Surprised to see them giving it a prominent mainstream spot, although I did really enjoy the first season back in the day.

Haven't rewatched it since then despite it being on a few streaming services.

Anyone watch it back again, or perhaps intending to give it a go for the first time? I'm quite curious to see how well it holds up after nearly 15 years.

Sound! Quit after first few episodes of Season 3 but 1 was amazing and 2 pretty good. Haven't watched since on originally. Only thinking recently I'd watch again and see how it holds up. Series now set to record. Cheers!

That was an enjoyable nostalgia trip. It was fun when 'Eyes' by Rogue Wave came on. I used to listen to that on an old MP3 player and I must have got the song from discovering it on the show. Hadn't heard it since then and it took me back to 2006.

I thought the show held up pretty well. The cheesy 'Previously on Heroes' guy was probably the main indication that it wasn't a current show. The Parkman character used to annoy the hell out of me but he didn't grate on me yet. I didn't realise how dull the Peter and Nathan stuff was on the buildings but I think that does improve. Just the mention of Sylar brought back good memories of how well they build that antagonist.

I'll keep watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

That was an enjoyable nostalgia trip. It was fun when 'Eyes' by Rogue Wave came on. I used to listen to that on an old MP3 player and I must have got the song from discovering it on the show. Hadn't heard it since then and it took me back to 2006.

I thought the show held up pretty well. The cheesy 'Previously on Heroes' guy was probably the main indication that it wasn't a current show. The Parkman character used to annoy the hell out of me but he didn't grate on me yet. I didn't realise how dull the Peter and Nathan stuff was on the buildings but I think that does improve. Just the mention of Sylar brought back good memories of how well they build that antagonist.

I'll keep watching.

Save The Cheerleader, Save The World! Glad you'll keep watching.

Will stick it on shortly. Post thoughts tomorrow. Check back next week.

Season 1 is winding down now. Tonight BBC 2 show the penultimate episodes ahead of next week's finale. Interestingly, the schedule for next week appears to show a double bill of the finale followed by the season 2 opener, so they must be going to show season 2 as well. I believe that was the one where there were some really terrible Irish accents.

I've enjoyed watching season 1 again. Sylar has been as good as I remembered. They did a great job building him up and he has a real menace about him when he's on screen. Peter mopes about more than I recalled. I had totally forgotten Christopher Eccleston was in this. Special effects do look ropey but overall it's held up well imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement