Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Odds for winning the group from Paddy Power, very tight between Austria, Wales and Serbia. We're a bit of an outside bet.

bfba65e7ceee691f9ca70367e54366be.png

Austria are very average. I would have Wales clear favs to top the group. Dont count the Georgians out of it either they will takes points off the more fancied teams especially at home. I think they will start tonight by shocking the Austrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

I think it's set up to be a 4 way battle right up to the last round of games. We're in with a shout but we need to start well. 3 out of our first 4 games being played away from home is a bit of a worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Odds for winning the group from Paddy Power, very tight between Austria, Wales and Serbia. We're a bit of an outside bet.

bfba65e7ceee691f9ca70367e54366be.png

25% patriotism, 25% wishful thinking, 25% genuinely believe in them and 25% they are great odds for a tight group I am going to stick 40 quid on that 9/2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,503 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Really, Austria aren't that average imo. Table didn't copy properly but that was a tough enough group they did unbelievably well in.
    Team
    Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification

1 23px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.pngAustria 10 9 1 0 22 5 +17 28 Qualify for final tournament

2 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.pngRussia 10 6 2 2 21 5 +16 20

3 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.pngSweden 10 5 3 2 15 9 +6 18 Advance to play-offs

4 23px-Flag_of_Montenegro.svg.pngMontenegro 10 3 2 5 10 13 −3 11

5 23px-Flag_of_Liechtenstein.svg.pngLiechtenstein 10 1 2 7 2 26 −24 5

6 23px-Flag_of_Moldova.svg.pngMoldova 10 0 2 8 4 16 −12 2

definitely not average but Russia looked awful in The Euros, Sweden were very average and we should have beaten them. The other 3 were games you would expect to be winning.

They are clearly a very good team who went on a really great run of results and confidence, and will have lost a lot of confidence after expectations were knocked down in the Summer.
    Three years back we probably should have taken them at home and were unlucky away (bloody Alaba) and that was with Trap in charge at his worst period as Ireland coach. They arenst an intimidating team and whilst a good team, they are beatable

Everything we are saying about having to get a good start, the opposition being good but beatable etc. etc...Serbia will be thinking the exact same.

I don't think we have a good track record of going to places like Belgrade and coming away with 3 points. Right now, I'd take 1. I think Serbia would regard that as more of a missed opportunity than us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Lads Serbia on paper are very good, but they are a jeckll and Hyde type team one day beat anyone, next day could struggle against a much weaker team...very hard to know how they are gonna perform

definitely not average but Russia looked awful in The Euros, Sweden were very average and we should have beaten them. The other 3 were games you would expect to be winning.

They are clearly a very good team who went on a really great run of results and confidence, and will have lost a lot of confidence after expectations were knocked down in the Summer.
    Three years back we probably should have taken them at home and were unlucky away (bloody Alaba) and that was with Trap in charge at his worst period as Ireland coach. They arenst an intimidating team and whilst a good team, they are beatable

In recent memory, we couldn't beat Sweden once in three competitive attempts. Austria in two attempts. Russia in two attempts.

I thought Russia were poison against Wales in the Euros but I still can't imagine us being in a positon where we would expect to beat them.

We will see anyway - a win would be such a massive boost with the two games we have coming up afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭briany

Isn't Serbia known to be a hotbed of hooliganism?

http://futbolgrad.com/a-culture-of-violence-the-politics-of-serbian-football-hooliganism/

I hope for good things on the pitch, but I also hope that the travelling fans stay safe over there as well.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Some questions with a Serbian journalist, gives some insight into the Serbian team

http://www.punditarena.com/football/theopeljersey/ireland-serbia-preview/

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Some questions with a Serbian journalist, gives some insight into the Serbian team

http://www.punditarena.com/football/theopeljersey/ireland-serbia-preview/

And here is the link to the people that actually did the work, instead of the crowd that just copied and pasted it.

http://opeljersey.com/new-blog/2016/9/4/fyzryrkuj6jjunt0h3ii448mvmyft8

Blogs and websites work on hits and ad revenue folks, a 'tip of the hat' is no f*cking use to someone trying to get more traffic.

Going by that Serb team I reckon Ward will play tonight with Brady in MF. Coleman will be pegged back a bit more so need to accomodate that on the right wing..
    Long up front, Hendrick and Whelan in the centre, walters on the right but drifting up to accomodate Long and maybe Arter will get the other position.
    O Shea and Keogh at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Delighted O Shea is fit. Was v worried at the prospect of Wilson playing center half. Personally Id play Arter ahead of Hendrick (hes clearly not fit enough just yet).

Trond wrote: »
    Delighted O Shea is fit. Was v worried at the prospect of Wilson playing center half. Personally Id play Arter ahead of Hendrick (hes clearly not fit enough just yet).

probably both will play tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Ah, no. I was looking forward to watching the game tonight. It would be most annoying if it were called off at this stage.

And here is the link to the people that actually did the work, instead of the crowd that just copied and pasted it.

http://opeljersey.com/new-blog/2016/9/4/fyzryrkuj6jjunt0h3ii448mvmyft8

Blogs and websites work on hits and ad revenue folks, a 'tip of the hat' is no f*cking use to someone trying to get more traffic.

Fairly superifical analysis in any case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Trond wrote: »

Won't it be Clark and Keogh?? Can't see O'Shea getting much game time from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭eamonpk

My pick would be

Randolph
    Ward Keogh Clark Coleman
    Arter Whelan Hendrick
    Brady Long Walters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Is the Georgia Austria game on live any where?

SantryRed wrote: »

I don't think it's being broadcast anywhere in this country, but anyone with an Internet connection and a decent ad-blocker should be able to see the game.

SantryRed wrote: »

Tbilisi

sorry, had to!! Thanks for drawing my attention to it, didnt realise it was on earlier due to time difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

briany wrote: »
    I don't think it's being broadcast anywhere in this country, but anyone with an Internet connection and a decent ad-blocker should be able to see the game.

If you have android tv, you get it on kodi. Well worth the investment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭eamonpk

seems to be on Sky Sports 1? Is that right??

yep, starts in 10 minutes

Patww79 wrote: »

Kodi is brillant, great for streaming sky sports etc

• Advertisement

Kodi is brillant, great for streaming sky sports etc

mobdro on the mobile phone is the bees knees, great stream quality

Patww79 wrote: »

If you need me to PM you on the way I did it, let me know.

Heres hoping for a home win here in Tibilisi

giphy.gif

The Georgians could end up thinking there's something for them in this tournament if they have any joy here today, and could create problems for Ireland's visit.

I'd have Austria to win this 0-2.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,890 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Listening to Football weekly today and Barry Glendenning was saying MoN may have been or is going to be offered the Hull job and this may be the reason he hasn't signed the contract.

MoN does have history of walking out..Hopefully he signs or leaves and does it quickly to end all the speculation

• Ireland @ 3/1 currently on betfair

No match thread??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Get in. COYBIG!

Kevin Kilbane says that some areas of the pitch is flooded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,890 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

John Delaney in hiding when we need someone to run the FAI and tell MoN to either sign the contract or fcuk off.

And after tonight I'd be inclined to tell him to fcuk off.

Poor poor stuff...but if it is a results based business, an away draw in Belgrade is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

John Delaney in hiding when we need someone to run the FAI and tell MoN to either sign the contract or fcuk off.

And after tonight I'd be inclined to tell him to fcuk off.

I honestly believe giving Stephen Kenny the job wouldn't be the worst idea. He would try and get them to play football and wouldn't ask for the stupid wages that O'Neil is on.

Even if we did't qualify, Kenny would at least provide two hours of enjoyment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

See the way Dundalk went for it against Legia in the second leg? That's what belief gets you. Not telling players to stand off and just hope the ninety minutes fly by.

Given his bizarre rant about Cork City getting more penos, he'd have been bawling on tv tonight after THAT decision.

I like Kenny, I think he's a fine manager,. But wouldn't rush to appoint him next Irish manager. Kerr did it...but he had managed underage national sides to unprecedented success.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Given his bizarre rant about Cork City getting more penos, he'd have been bawling on tv tonight after THAT decision.

I like Kenny, I think he's a fine manager,. But wouldn't rush to appoint him next Irish manager. Kerr did it...but he had managed underage national sides to unprecedented success.

Ah Brian Kerr. If only we didn't concede that late equaliser to Israel, how different things may have been for him.

Still, he does hold the highest win percent of any Irish manager, what ever little good that will do for him now :pac:

• Advertisement

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Ah Brian Kerr. If only we didn't concede that late equaliser to Israel, how different things may have been for him.

Still, he does hold the highest win percent of any Irish manager, what ever little good that will do for him now :pac:

I didn't complain when Kerr didn't get another contract, he had 2 Keanes, Duff and Given on his teams and he didn't make much headway. But he was replaced by a disaster. Conversely O'Neill has taken us from our darkest days of record home defeats and appalling years like 2012 and 2013 and moulded a new side featuring players like Brady, Hendrick, Coleman etc. that give some hope...but they still lack inspiration, tonight's performance was awful. But it still was away in Belgrade, and in spite of things we got a result. I'd keep him till the end of this campaign anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement