Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

The whole back 4 was very good, Senderos included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

It should help alleviate some of the pressure on Lambert too which hampered the team last season at VP.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

3 points at The Brittania on day 1, with the whole defense looking good (no goals against) including Hutton who I wasn't sure about putting in a very good shift and Senderos who I think gets too much stick forming a good partnership with Vlaar. Andi got a goal and looked lively. Sanchez to be added, Benteke to return, Nzogbia again in contention and Grealish getting time.

Bright start all round. Will hopefully give the side some confidence now too

Lambert says he's hoping for another one or two in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Grealish looks like a confident fella.

LeBash wrote: »
    Grealish looks like a confident fella.

Not quite confident enough yet. Tends to pass instead of shoot when he's got a chance

Hard to know where the team can be improved on a budget of about £3m. Hopefully any attacking midfielder or winger signed doesn't end up hampering the progress of Grealish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Great start onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Patser

5 of the 11 posts since full time mention confident or confidence, are we allowed be optimistic now!!

A balanced team with a sudden appearance of experienced players - not the youngsters of 2 seasons ago - Guzan Hutton Senderos Vlaar Richardson N'Zogbia all late 20s (and Gabby too but let's not mention him). Sanchez another experienced player in.

I can't see this team turning into as much of a headless chicken as at times over the last 2 seasons.

And also I reckon Keane will also have a hugely stabilising effect, especially if performances or confidence starts to dip.

• Advertisement

Midfielder is the main target, with a loan for a striker the secondary according to Trent on VT

Patser wrote: »
    5 of the 11 posts since full time mention confident or confidence, are we allowed be optimistic now!!

A balanced team with a sudden appearance of experienced players - not the youngsters of 2 seasons ago - Guzan Hutton Senderos Vlaar Richardson N'Zogbia all late 20s (and Gabby too but let's not mention him). Sanchez another experienced player in.

I can't see this team turning into as much of a headless chicken as at times over the last 2 seasons.

And also I reckon Keane will also have a hugely stabilising effect, especially if performances or confidence starts to dip.

And it is hard to quantify how much harm was done by Karsa and Culverhouse's "unprofessionalism" last season.
    Roy Keane has mellowed a lot in recent years and although he had a reputation as an authoritarian figure I can't imagine he was ever a bully.
    Being a number two hopefully suits him.

COYVB wrote: »
    Midfielder is the main target, with a loan for a striker the secondary according to Trent on VT

Cambiasso never signed for Leicester after, he would not be a bad deep lying playmaker beside Sanchez.

And it is hard to quantify how much harm was done by Karsa and Culverhouse's "unprofessionalism" last season.
    Roy Keane has mellowed a lot in recent years and although he had a reputation as an authoritarian figure I can't imagine he was ever a bully.
    Being a number two hopefully suits him.

Were Karsa and Culverhouse sacked by the club or Lambert in the end?

the club with lambert's backing i believe was the official line

the club with lambert's backing i believe was the official line

According to Trent at the time (and he has proven to be every bit as ITK as hairyhands) was that Lambert wanted Culverhouse sacked but wasn't allowed by the board. When they were ousted he stated that the players clapped Lambert onto the pitch for training the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Keane can be the fire, Lambert can be the sugar. Rice and Wenger had the same dynamic at Arsenal for years and it worked well.

Being a consistent hard ass is only a problem when you're the only voice, players get sick of it.

And that's not even saying that Keane hasn't mellowed, who knows what sort of relationship he has with the players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Keane can be the fire, Lambert can be the sugar. Rice and Wenger had the same dynamic at Arsenal for years and it worked well.

Being a consistent hard ass is only a problem when you're the only voice, players get sick of it.

And that's not even saying that Keane hasn't mellowed, who knows what sort of relationship he has with the players.

I was thinking the same thing about Keano, yes he has mellowed supposidly in how he will deal with players (as the assistant he has to have anyway) but you could see the passion he had on the sideline. It rubbed off on the fans and id imagine it may do the same with the players too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,555 ✭✭✭✭CSF

As delighted as I am with the result, and excited for the trip over for the Hull game in 2 weeks, I do urge caution in our optimism...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

CSF wrote: »
    As delighted as I am with the result, and excited for the trip over for the Hull game in 2 weeks, I do urge caution in our optimism...

Agree with this. Our September and October are awful and it's entirely possible we won't get any points for 2 months and end with no confidence

matrim wrote: »
    Agree with this. Our September and October are awful and it's entirely possible we won't get any points for 2 months and end with no confidence

The team generally does well against the big team (with the exception of Man Utd but they are not a big team anymore) and all them games are on Champions League weeks. Results can be got.

• Advertisement

Apparently KEA is home sick and want to go back to Holland.

Would like to keep him. His first season was woeful but last year he had quite a few solid games and looked good on the ball when on form. Was hoping he would build on that this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Apparently KEA is home sick and want to go back to Holland.

Would like to keep him. His first season was woeful but last year he had quite a few solid games and looked good on the ball when on form. Was hoping he would build on that this year.

Certainly a hard worker but lacks quality.
    If another mid comes in and Gardner actually becomes a player who is available we could afford to lose him.

JPA wrote: »
    Certainly a hard worker but lacks quality.
    If another mid comes in and Gardner actually becomes a player who is available we could afford to lose him.

Gardener is too injury prone. Maybe he is being squeezed out by Sanchez but id rather have him than not. I still think we are light weight in the centre

Gardener is too injury prone. Maybe he is being squeezed out by Sanchez but id rather have him than not. I still think we are light weight in the centre

Gardener and Sanchez are totally different players. Gardener is an attaching mid more than anything

I know he's injury prone but he was given a new contract so hopefully gets a chance. We are in for a midfielder, maybe KEA is expected to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Senderos Vlaar looked a good combo yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Watched most of the game live, not a bad performance but sloppy in the final third, it's going to be a long season but hopefully we can survive.

Going to take a while to get used to seeing Keane on the sidelines, and given his antics at Ipswich I hope he doesn't loose the head when the going gets tough!

Don't worry lads, I'll stick a fiver on Villa to get relegated, that'll see us finish comfortably in mid-table, AT LEAST.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Don't worry lads, I'll stick a fiver on Villa to get relegated, that'll see us finish comfortably in mid-table, AT LEAST.

'comfortably'

0 Search results found

Did you mean 'torturously'?

:pac:

I'm not Gabby's biggest fan but even I think this is a bit harsh on him :pac:

https://vine.co/v/M3mX5DxBmQt

• Advertisement

Linked with John Arne Riise and Sebastian Blanco of Metalist Kharkiv.

I very much doubt the Riise one is a runner with Cissokho signed. Blanco seems an interesting player though.

New CEO looks like being Arsenal's Tom Fox. He's currently their Chief Commercial Officer and has apparently played a massive part in their work over the past while. On paper he looks like a fantastic addition

Looks a pretty strong appointment alright. One must wonder why he'd come with the club up for sale though, no doubt Randy has put something that the CEO will remain in place with whatever new owners, therefore maybe making the club even harder to sell. His current actions of making not much transfer money available and then making long terms appointments is somewhat all over the place.

The other way of thinking is potential new owners are already on board with this and have ratified the appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Corholio wrote: »
    Looks a pretty strong appointment alright. One must wonder why he'd come with the club up for sale though, no doubt Randy has put something that the CEO will remain in place with whatever new owners, therefore maybe making the club even harder to sell. His current actions of making not much transfer money available and then making long terms appointments is somewhat all over the place.

The other way of thinking is potential new owners are already on board with this and have ratified the appointment.
    Id be thinking a long the lines, that there is a new man lined up, who doesnt really want to spend money in this transfer market and would rather see how the club is fairing come winter

This is a significant appointment, whatever it means with regard Lerner I'm not sure but it seems this guy should get the club going in a positive direction.

I have no idea who he is but correct me if im wrong. Has he been at Arsenal during thier most unsucessful period in the last 2 decades?

I dont see why he will be a wonder signing or am i missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I have no idea who he is but correct me if im wrong. Has he been at Arsenal during thier most unsucessful period in the last 2 decades?

Unsuccessful??

Arsenal have been in the Champions almost every year, challenged for the title, on a secure financial footing with a super new stadium, that is some pretty awesome success!

Unless of course you are comparing to Man City who have a Billionaire throwing money away for fun? The changes of finding another one of them is rather slim and in the long term it may not be a success!

Because he has turned Arsenal into a club with one of the highest turnovers in world football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deloitte_Football_Money_League

Villa dropped off that list in 2012/13

Arsenal are consistently performing well in terms of revenue and finances. They lost 2 spots but they were also up against PSG and Man City who are throwing money around.

• Advertisement

Bennett going on loan to Brighton for the season apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Corholio wrote: »
    Bennett going on loan to Brighton for the season apparently.

Makes sense. We have Richardson and Cissoko who can cover that position now. I wouldn't be surprised to see Stephens and maybe Clark or Baker go on loan too

Quotes from Lambert. Wants 2 more in apparently.

“If we bring a few more in, and with Carlos coming, it will add to the squad massively. If we get the injured lads back pretty quickly, we’re going to be strong.”

matrim wrote: »
    Makes sense. We have Richardson and Cissoko who can cover that position now. I wouldn't be surprised to see Stephens and maybe Clark or Baker go on loan too

The squad is simply too big, just taking up squad numbers!

Can see a couple of more senior players going before the end of the window, Bent and KEA maybe.

26 in the squad now. Need at least one more out if no more in. All those players out on loan though... There's surely not going to be much space for them on their return

Could Bent not just be released? Just take the hit to free up space on the squad. I don't see anyone paying money and if they did it'd be pennies of the £24m.

• Advertisement

Nah, there's nothing to gain from releasing Bent, unless he agrees to a compromise deal on his outstanding wages. However slim the chance some team will take him on loan, take over his contract, or that he even may retire through injury (insurance payoff), you forfeit these possibilities by releasing him.

Best case scenario is a club, possibly the MLS, are willing to offer him a deal that's long enough to entice him to rescind his outstanding wages, in exchange for longer term stability. Though I reckon it's unlikely; it'd need to be north of 15k per week in a 5+ year deal for him to be quids in. In reality it'd probably need to be a good deal higher than that per week to make it worth his while. And for a limited 30 year old, losing pace, with patchy form over the last few years, I really can't see anyone being bothered.

circadian wrote: »
    Could Bent not just be released? Just take the hit to free up space on the squad. I don't see anyone paying money and if they did it'd be pennies of the £24m.

It'd cost the exact same to release him as it would to keep him, and if we keep him there might come a time where he could possibly be useful. I have to say I was surprised he didn't start last weekend, and I think he should be used until Benteke and Kozak are back as even though he's still rusty, he can still put the ball in the net if the opportunity finds him. More chance of him scoring than Agbonlahor anyway

Fox confirmed as new CEO

It'd cost the exact same to release him as it would to keep him, and if we keep him there might come a time where he could possibly be useful. I have to say I was surprised he didn't start last weekend, and I think he should be used until Benteke and Kozak are back as even though he's still rusty, he can still put the ball in the net if the opportunity finds him. More chance of him scoring than Agbonlahor anyway

True. He would have buried that chance Richardson created for Gabby in the first half. The former must be wondering what the hell he got himself into, beats two lads down the right flank, rounds the keeper, squares it to the 'striker' six yards from goal who proceeds to brainfart the ball toward the corner flag.

It really was worse than the Cissokho miss for Liverpool last year.

My point wasn't really for financial reasons. There's too many in the squad, if Lambert wants to sign more and he isn't going to use Bent then letting him go might be better than waiting for a potential loan/transfer. I agree he could be useful but it depends on Lambert playing him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement