Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Are we openly allowed bet here? Villa will finish 14th or above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Bookies have Burnley as the dead cert, but after that it's between:

QPR, Leicester, West Brom, Crystal Palace, Villa and Hull.

Going by the prices, I'm assuming that will be a pretty even 6-way shootout for 2 spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Bookies have Burnley as the dead cert, but after that it's between:

QPR, Leicester, West Brom, Crystal Palace, Villa and Hull.

Going by the prices, I'm assuming that will be a pretty even 6-way shootout for 2 spots.

QPR and Leicester are strong for promoted teams, West Brom are in bad shape, Pulis is unrelegatable while Hull are a decent team who may suffer from Europe. West Ham and possibly Sunderland are also candidates, especially if Sunderland pick up injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

QPR and Leicester are strong for promoted teams, West Brom are in bad shape, Pulis is unrelegatable while Hull are a decent team who may suffer from Europe. West Ham and possibly Sunderland are also candidates, especially if Sunderland pick up injuries.

I also wouldn't rule out Southampton after their car-boot sale this Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,773 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I was appalled when Cissokho came to Liverpool. Thought he was an overrated mercenary who was no good on the ball and would cost us games. In fairness though, I think he turned around the opinions of myself and many Liverpool fans with his performances. Even though we only had him on loan, his commitment and work rate were excellent. In defence, he was very solid and his all-action, in your face style worked quite well in the Premier League. Sure, he doesn't have the greatest of ability on the ball, but he has a great engine and as long as he keeps it simple in the final third, he can have a very good impact. If someone told me we were going to have him back at Liverpool as a rotation player, I wouldn't have any problem with that. Think he will do a decent job for you guys.

Far from signed yet though. edit: looks mostly done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

For the money touted Cissokho looks a pretty decent deal. Will add a bit of strength to the team and hopefully a bit more defensive solidity on the left, even Bertrand faded badly there last year and looked just as bad as headbangers Clark and Baker back there.

That being said, he has dropped a fair bit in the last few years. Must be something to that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

0,,10265~13020777,00.jpg

4 year deal

He is a brave man. We have turned some amount of full backs into a jelly like mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I have to say despite not having spent much we have strengthened reasonably well. If we could get in a strong DM then it would have been a decent summer.

We've hopefully got the left wing / full back spot sorted. Central defense may still be a problem if Okore doesn't settle / find form quickly, but senderos is hopefully an improvement on Baker / Clark.

In midfield hopefully Cole can help to be that creative spark we were missing and with N'Zogbia back and Grealish coming through we have more attacking options.

The main thing that I think will define our season is how quickly Benteke and Kozak come back and if they can find full fitness quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Given how bad he is on the ball he's definitely not being brought in for his forward thinking play - which is a good thing I think, let's shore up the defence properly. Where have we signed Richardson for though? No clue how Lambert's going to play a full strength team...

Guzan
    Hutton--Vlaar--Okore--Cissokho
    Sanchez
    N'Zogbia-Delph
    Westy-Cole
    Benteke

Maybe?

You know what, though, that looks alright doesn't it (all staying fit and playing to their maximum capabilities and pending actually signing Sanzhez)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

COYVB wrote: »
    Given how bad he is on the ball he's definitely not being brought in for his forward thinking play - which is a good thing I think, let's shore up the defence properly. Where have we signed Richardson for though? No clue how Lambert's going to play a full strength team...

Guzan
    Hutton--Vlaar--Okore--Cissokho
    Sanchez
    N'Zogbia-Delph
    Westy-Cole
    Benteke

Maybe?

You know what, though, that looks alright doesn't it (all staying fit and playing to their maximum capabilities and pending actually signing Sanzhez)?
    Who is Sanchez, missed out on everything last few days. Happy with Cissokho being 100% honest

astonaidan wrote: »
    Who is Sanchez, missed out on everything last few days. Happy with Cissokho being 100% honest

Carlos Sanchez Moreno, defensive midfielder and Colombian international. Played for Elche last year and would be the best signing this summer by an absolute mile if it comes off.

Corholio wrote: »
    Carlos Sanchez Moreno, defensive midfielder and Colombian international. Played for Elche last year and would be the best signing this summer by an absolute mile if it comes off.

Have there been any solid links to him? All I've seen is some twitter and VT stuff

matrim wrote: »
    Have there been any solid links to him? All I've seen is some twitter and VT stuff

I think the original source of the link was a Tweet by a Spanish news provider. Think that's about as solid as it's been really.

• Advertisement

Leicester have signed Cambiasso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Senderor will start centre back??

Senderor will start centre back??

He should be 3rd in the pecking order behind Vlaar (if he stays) and Okore (if he stays fit). I wouldn't mind seeing Clark and Baker find new clubs to prevent them playing again for Villa.

0-0 draw with Parma, Vlaar and Okore finished the game and hopefully those two are not budged from there from now on.
    Grealish was bright when introduced and could be in contention to start from now on.

Gary Gardner winding up his brother Craig by decking out his nieces (Craig's daughters) in Villa shirts. His spelling isn't the best though :pac:

Gary-Gardners-tweet.jpg

• Advertisement

One other very slight positive with the fixture list is that the consecutive games against Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City will all be on Champions League weeks with Arsenal and City coming after CL games while Liverpool and Chelsea will be prior to games.

Tonev possibly off to Celtic

Leicester have signed Cambiasso
    no they havent

no they havent

Apologies he was down as a Leicester player on wikipedia on Saturday. He was linked with Villa earlier in the summer and would still be a great signing but it is doubtful that Villa could compete with Leicester's money for wages.

matrim wrote: »
    Tonev possibly off to Celtic

He has to be up there with Balaban in term of crap signings

LeBash wrote: »
    He has to be up there with Balaban in term of crap signings

He didn't cost £6 million or be on big money but he was terrible. If one of his speculative efforts found a top corner things might have been different but I think the SPL is probably his level.

He didn't cost £6 million or be on big money but he was terrible. If one of his speculative efforts found a top corner things might have been different but I think the SPL is probably his level.

I think he will still be out of his depth there.

He has shown nothing but a bad long range shot for Villa.

Sanchez rumours gaining momentum.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11025073/Villa-in-talks-with-Colombian-star-Sanchez.html

Would make the transfer window a decent one.

I think he will still be out of his depth there.

He has shown nothing but a bad long range shot for Villa.

He must have done something right to be a first team regular for Lech Poznan in a much stronger league.

• Advertisement

Its a loan to Celtic isn't it? Could be a clever move. He'll no doubt score a few there, get his confidence back and, hopefully, impress in a few champions league games. That'd mean, at the very least, we'll get our money back on him in a year, or at the most, have a player who comes back looking a lot better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Its a loan to Celtic isn't it? Could be a clever move. He'll no doubt score a few there, get his confidence back and, hopefully, impress in a few champions league games. That'd mean, at the very least, we'll get our money back on him in a year, or at the most, have a player who comes back looking a lot better

I don't think Celtic will be doing much impressing in the Champions League this year. But he should be scoring at least a few in the League.

Le Tisser naming us as one of the team to go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Le Tisser naming us as one of the team to go down.
    Paul Walsh too.

I am actually starting to think Palace, West Brom and Burley will be worse than us. Dangerous stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

I am actually starting to think Palace, West Brom and Burley will be worse than us. Dangerous stuff.

'Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.' Red, Shawshank Redemption.

With Benteke, Kozak, Vlaar, Guzan and Delph we surely have enough to keep us up.

We have had another shot at fixing up the problems at LB. Im not worried tbh.

Surely Southampton are in a worse position than us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Paul Walsh too.

Palace ain't going nowhere with Pulis in charge.

We're getting selected by a few because of the appearance of being a club in turmoil. They wouldn't be far wrong of course but the 3 promoted teams plus West Brom and Swansea are surely worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,550 ✭✭✭✭CSF

With Benteke, Kozak, Vlaar, Guzan and Delph we surely have enough to keep us up.

We have had another shot at fixing up the problems at LB. Im not worried tbh.

Surely Southampton are in a worse position than us?
    If it was 5 a side astro that might be a bigger help.

CSF wrote: »
    If it was 5 a side astro that might be a bigger help.

Its a solid core. Bet a few teams would like strenght in the squad like that

• Advertisement

You might be overestimating Kozak's ability a bit there. He might be a big lad and a half decent finisher but his all round game didn't impress me hugely last season. Lack of mobility is a factor whereas when Benteke builds up a head of steam he leaves most defenders trailing.

Delph has many great attributes but still wouldn't be good enough for any of the top 7 clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,550 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Its a solid core. Bet a few teams would like strenght in the squad like that
    Nobody would fear Kozak that much. Lots of teams have a few good players in their teams, Villa's standard drops too low after those 5 though.

Fee agreed for Sanchez

Fee agreed for Sanchez

The defence should be rock solid if they pull this off.

he'll also free up delph and westwood to be more forward thinking. If we get him it could turn out to be a bit of a turning point signing for the squad. We've been missing that DM for so long, and IMO it's the most important role on the pitch. The right player in there could completely change the team

Lerner no longer actively looking to sell the club apparently, and he's willing to back Lambert financially now, but if a suitable bid comes in he'll take it. So says a journo on Twitter anyway. Seems a bit of a catchall statement that

• Advertisement

The point is those 5 will be enough to keep us up.

I see us finishing somewhere between 10-14th.

So the defense / midfield now looks something like

Guzan
    Lowton Okore Vlaar Cissokho
    Sanchez
    Westwood Delph

Wonder where Richardson will fit in. Maybe a replcement for Cissokho when we want more attacking treat and standin for delph when he eventually gets suspended

Front 3 could be either

Cole / N'Zogbia
    Benteke Gabby/Wiemann/Kozak

or

Zog Gabby
    Benteke

he'll also free up delph and westwood to be more forward thinking. If we get him it could turn out to be a bit of a turning point signing for the squad. We've been missing that DM for so long, and IMO it's the most important role on the pitch. The right player in there could completely change the team

Agreed definitely. Will be interesting to see how Westwood fits into that though, when he isn't the pivot for passing in there I'm not sure he improves the position he might move into. Would still like to see Ki signed to slot in there, although it was almost certainly one or the other with Sanchez.

Excellent signing if it comes off though. Delph more forward is the biggest benefit of this.

Corholio wrote: »
    Agreed definitely. Will be interesting to see how Westwood fits into that though, when he isn't the pivot for passing in there I'm not sure he improves the position he might move into. Would still like to see Ki signed to slot in there, although it was almost certainly one or the other with Sanchez.

Excellent signing if it comes off though. Delph more forward is the biggest benefit of this.

I'd have Westwood sitting just beside Sanchez with Delph in front given license to attack and press at will.

I'd have a front 3 of N'zogbia and Grealish supporting Benteke but obviously there are plenty of options available there.

If we get Sanchez we'll actually have too many players in the squad. That's a first

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement