Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 ( Mod Note linked in OP 29/12)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Pudders wrote: »
    City game is crucial.

Lose that and we will not win the league. And at the moment on our current run, I can't see us beating Sunderland this weekend.

We'll hammer City. Then we'll lose all our players to injury again and then lose the league because we'll drop points to Villa and (jesus) The Pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,342 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

City game is crucial.

Lose that and we will not win the league. And at the moment on our current run, I can't see us beating Sunderland this weekend.

Yesterday's game was just as crucial and the one before that.
    We haven't the heart to win this league or the leaders on the team or sideline.
    We are on a major slump now imo. Very average. Two wins from our last 7 games. Teams below us are as likely to take points off us as City are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Jaysus, Imagine If I was here earlier :pac:

imagine if efb was still here :D
    pity he wasn't tbh, hopefully he'll be back for a xmas special
    City game is crucial.

a tougher run of fixtures from that city game until the end of jan/feb too, & one probably two fa cup games in there as well.
    really need players back

pt4k2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

At least we have the January transfer window to look forward to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Ever notice when Mertesacker always bigs us up in the media or says this is a very important period, we always drop points? He will be talking nonsesne again during the week about how we need to bounce back soon too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Its amazing how we went from one of the best runs in recent times to the worst in the space of a few weeks.

Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Chambers played in midfield for u21s this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

At least we have the January transfer window to look forward to!

I heard were linked with two U15 French starlets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Do our injuries seem worse because they happen at the same time?

Nov - Jan always seems rediculous but we tend to finish the season with a lot of fit players.

Am I wrong about this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

That's a whole lot of reading for a whole lot of nothing, or I'm just too tired?! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Any chance we could go in for William Carvalho in January? Think he scored an o.g tonight but still a rising talent. Any sort of cover at Cdm/competition for Coquelin is a must imo. Flamini and Arteta aren't good enough for Arsenal anymore.

Edit: my mistake he scored a peno!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Santi and Alexis are both having scans done tomorrow. Alexis supposedly had a tear in his hamstring which would put him out for around 3 weeks. The real worry is Santi who may have knee ligament damage which would put him out for 3 months.

Source - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/12025622/Arsenal-injury-news-Alexis-Sanchez-and-Santi-Cazorla-to-miss-Olympiakos-Champions-League-decider.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

batistuta9 wrote: »
    imagine if efb was still here :D
    pity he wasn't tbh, hopefully he'll be back for a xmas special

Oh he's around
    Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Santi and Alexis are both having scans done tomorrow. Alexis supposedly had a tear in his hamstring which would put him out for around 3 weeks. The real worry is Santi who may have knee ligament damage which would put him out for 3 months.

Source - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/12025622/Arsenal-injury-news-Alexis-Sanchez-and-Santi-Cazorla-to-miss-Olympiakos-Champions-League-decider.html

Jesus we'd be rightly ****ed then art-flam pivot or ramsey-flam with joel and ox wide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

That would be typical alright, every damn season we have a key player or two out for 3months or more. It's ridiculous. If Santi is out as well, we really will have a decimated ,midfield line up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Jesus we'd be rightly ****ed then art-flam pivot or ramsey-flam with joel and ox wide

On the plus side, we'd get to use the expression RamFlam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Oh he's around

I really don't think we'll be seeing much of Arteta again in an Arsenal shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Its amazing how we went from one of the best runs in recent times to the worst in the space of a few weeks.

Ugh.

whats funny is that we are only 2 points behind the leaders. just shows how crap english clubs are

whats funny is that we are only 2 points behind the leaders. just shows how crap english clubs are

I think its kind of the opposite. Noone is running away with it because there is huge competition now even from the smaller clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

whats funny is that we are only 2 points behind the leaders. just shows how good english clubs are. All the bottom teams can beat the top ones!

You can look at that both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Kirby wrote: »
    You can look at that both ways.

lol nope. look at us in the CL. barely better then the average sides in the competiition mate.

lol nope. look at us in the CL. barely better then the average sides in the competiition mate.

Agree. Even Utd and Chelsea are struggling this year in Europe. Sure weren't Southampton even eliminated in the Europa League prelims. The league is gone to ****e imo.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Agree. Even Utd and Chelsea are struggling this year in Europe. Sure weren't Southampton even eliminated in the Europa League prelims. The league is gone to ****e imo.

We did boat Bayern!

We did boat Bayern!

Exactly. It's actually bloody tiresome, the carry on around here. Beating Bayern doesn't count, because we couldn't beat Norwich away.

No game is a given in the premier league.

I honestly don't care if we carry on playing like crap through until Xmas, if we manage to stay within a few points of the top of the table. It's still better than us playing fantastic football but being in a battle for 4th.

But United is an average team playing rubbish football, and Chelsea are in the bottom half of the league....isn't that what you'd expect?

• Advertisement

We did boat Bayern!

I know that. But lets be honest we rode our luck in that game. They were the much much better team. Cant recall the match stats but pretty sure they had over 70% of possession and they were the away side.

Basil3 wrote: »
    But United is an average team playing rubbish football, and Chelsea are in the bottom half of the league....isn't that what you'd expect?

Very true. But the proof is in the pudding, English football is in decline if you go by European competition, did any English club even make the Qtr finals last season?

Very true. But the proof is in the pudding, English football is in decline if you go by European competition, did any English club even make the Qtr finals last season?

Yes, as you say....the proof is in the pudding. We are playing like absolute rubbish, on a horrible run, and yet two points off the top of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭ronjo

Yes, as you say....the proof is in the pudding. We are playing like absolute rubbish, on a horrible run, and yet two points off the top of the league.

I guess people are annoyed that we could easily be 5 points clear at the top and not two points off the top.

Our annual injury crisis that cripples us has kicked in and it comes back to lack of adequate depth in the squad.
    Sanchez shouldnt have played last weekend and indeed wouldnt have if we hadnt had so many players out and due to that we have another crucial player out..... Its a catch 22 of our own doing.

ETA I might have gone off on a tangent from your debate.

Theres a flip side to that, in that if we invested in parts of the starting 11 in the summer we could have a nice little cushion at the top of the league going into the christmas period. We should of at least replaced Podolski as he did add quite a few goals to the team.

• Advertisement

Santis scan results should be out soon. Heres hoping its not the rumoured 3 months. But we know how it usually goes.

Just thinking, a lot has being said how good Ozil and Sanchez have being this season (and rightfully so) but Petr Cech has gone under the radar. He has made some incredible saves, especially in tight nit games that we have won by the odd goal or managed to draw. What a signing, madness to think he only cost 10 million and he is in arguably his best years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Just thinking, a lot has being said how good Ozil and Sanchez have being this season (and rightfully so) but Petr Cech has gone under the radar. He has made some incredible saves, especially in tight nit games that we have won by the odd goal or managed to draw. What a signing, madness to think he only cost 10 million and he is in arguably his best years.

Wouldn't agree that he's in his best years. But yes he was an incredible signing, has already won us a fair few points with some outrageous saves.

His save against Coutinho when he went to curl it far post and cech got the smallest of touches on it to put it wide was world class. Ospina and Ches aren't capable of making some of the saves he does

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭ronjo

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Wouldn't agree that he's in his best years. But yes he was an incredible signing, has already won us a fair few points with some outrageous saves.

His save against Coutinho when he went to curl it far post and cech got the smallest of touches on it to put it wide was world class. Ospina and Ches aren't capable of making some of the saves he does

He made a fantastic save from a Gabriel header at the weekend too that looked to be certainly heading for the bottom corner.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

That save reminded me of a save Cassillas pulled off against us at Highbury from Henry in a Champs Lge quarter final, finger nails turned it around the post. 2 extraordinary saves, save of the season by Cech for me so far.

Santis scan results should be out soon. Heres hoping its not the rumoured 3 months. But we know how it usually goes.

Far more nervous about these scans than I was about my Leaving Cert results.

He's a remarkable athlete. Whatever recovery time is given for him you can imagine he'll be back playing before then.

ronjo wrote: »
    I guess people are annoyed that we could easily be 5 points clear at the top and not two points off the top.

Our annual injury crisis that cripples us has kicked in and it comes back to lack of adequate depth in the squad.
    Sanchez shouldnt have played last weekend and indeed wouldnt have if we hadnt had so many players out and due to that we have another crucial player out..... Its a catch 22 of our own doing.

ETA I might have gone off on a tangent from your debate.

Yeah, that's one of the frustrating things. I feel like this season hasn't gone our way. Can't really remember us getting late winners, or streaky stuff going our way. We also dropped two points against Liverpool when a perfectly legitimate goal was disallowed.

Wenger can't win really. If he rests a player, we lose and he gets punished for not playing them. If he doesn't rest a player, they end up getting injured.

Despite all this, we are in with a sniff. I'm still clinging on to hope that we will make a decent signing in January.

Yeah, that's one of the frustrating things. I feel like this season hasn't gone our way. Can't really remember us getting late winners, or streaky stuff going our way. We also dropped two points against Liverpool when a perfectly legitimate goal was disallowed.

Wenger can't win really. If he rests a player, we lose and he gets punished for not playing them. If he doesn't rest a player, they end up getting injured.

Despite all this, we are in with a sniff. I'm still clinging on to hope that we will make a decent signing in January.

I agree with this. But Wenger is his own worse enemy at times. His refusal to strenghten the team in the summer is coming back to bite him in the arse. The money is there, he is only ruining his own legacy at the club with his current transfer policy. Not only his transfer policy, but our fitness issues are not only coincidental, something isn't right somewhere along the lines.

As I have said many times on here, I am one of Wengers biggest fans, I have grown up with him in charge of the club and have witnessed first hand what a great manager he is and some of the players he has brought to the club is astonishing and makes me proud to be a fan. But sometimes you just have to be honest with yourself and say that he needs to change some of his policies as we are stuck in this revolving door of inconsistency on and off the field the last I dont know how many years.

Honestly cant recall Wenger resting a player this season and getting stick when it didnt work out. Unless you count the Zagreb game, but even then that was a pathetic no-show from the 11 he picked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Have we arrived at the decision that Shad Forsyth is not the messiah that people thought he was? The injuries don't seem to have changed, still coming thick and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Wenger is to blame.

No new outfield signings.

No sales of injury prone / past it players.

Over playing players in the red zone.

Another brilliant chance to win the league blown away by his stubbornness to be proved right.

salmocab wrote: »
    Have we arrived at the decision that Shad Forsyth is not the messiah that people thought he was? The injuries don't seem to have changed, still coming thick and fast.

It would appear that he hasn't made much difference to the situation.

salmocab wrote: »

Can't blame Shad when Wenger is over playing people. If anything Shads done a great job! We've had plenty of players come back earlier than predicted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Can't blame Shad when Wenger is over playing people. If anything Shads done a great job! We've had plenty of players come back earlier than predicted.

Im not blaming him, Im really just saying that nothing has changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Wenger is to blame.

No new outfield signings.

No sales of injury prone / past it players.

Over playing players in the red zone.

Another brilliant chance to win the league blown away by his stubbornness to be proved right.

He's also to blame for us having all those players in the first place.

We just need to ride this storm. As was said before, if we make it to Christmas only a couple of points off the top, it's very much on.

Sorry, but I don't buy this. Rugby players can bash their bodies up week in, week out, and still keep on trucking (barring any impact injuries). Very rarely do you hear of a rugby player "needing a rest".

These guys should be able to play every single week without a bother, even twice a week if required.

Sorry, but I don't buy this. Rugby players can bash their bodies up week in, week out, and still keep on trucking (barring any impact injuries). Very rarely do you hear of a rugby player "needing a rest".

These guys should be able to play every single week without a bother, even twice a week if required.

Rugby players are built like Gorillas.
    I don't watch Rugby so i can't say why there's a big difference in how injuries happen.

But i can safely say that Sanchez has been overplayed. He's pretty much had zero rest. Also both the Chile manager and Wenger both knew his Hamstring was just hanging in place yet they played him.

Totally different game.
    Players train and prepare for the hard physical challenges that rugby brings, hard and heavy tackling is part of it. The scrums, rucks and mauls require the type of training they do. Force and strength are very much part of rugby.

Soccer is entirely different. Players are more refined, faster and agile with the ability to turn very quickly while controlling the ball. Injuries occur when players are not expecting the challenge or when they carry the ball into a tackle like Jack Wilshere does.

• Advertisement

Totally different game.
    Players train and prepare for the hard physical challenges that rugby brings, hard and heavy tackling is part of it. The scrums, rucks and mauls require the type of training they do. Force and strength are very much part of rugby.

Soccer is entirely different. Players are more refined, faster and agile with the ability to turn very quickly while controlling the ball. Injuries occur when players are not expecting the challenge or when they carry the ball into a tackle like Jack Wilshere does.

I'd dispute some of that, well actually a lot of it. Rugby players would be faster in both acceleration and top speed, depending on the position. Their power to weight would be a long way above a footballer. I would say most prop forwards are more agile and faster than Mert. :D

This is off on a tangent though. My point is that there is something wrong with the training/recovery in between matches, if players can't consistently play at their peak week in/week out. Obviously freak injuries will happen, but these niggly things that become big things are pretty worrisome.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement