Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Puskas Goal of the year

• 08-11-2015 1:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

Messi for me but Ramirez a close 2nd.

/EDIT Dammit poll didnt attach, could a wonderful mod attach this poll.

David Ball - 29.03.2015, Fleetwood Town - Preston North End, League 1 (England)

Gonzalo Castro – 12.04.2015, Real Sociedad - Deportivo de la Coruña, Primera Division (Spain)

Alessandro Florenzi – 16.09.2015, AS Roma – FC Barcelona, UEFA Champions League

Wendell Lira – 11.03.2015, Atletico-GO – Goianesia, Campeonato Goiano (Brazil)

Carli Lloyd – 05.07.2015, USA – Japan, FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada 2015™

Lionel Messi – 30.05.2015, Athletic Bilbao - FC Barcelona, Copa del Rey (Spain)

Philippe Mexes – 25.07.2015, AC Milan – Inter Milan, Friendly Match

Marcel Ndjeng – 13.07.2015, SC Paderborn – Bolton Wanderers, Friendly Match

Esteban Ramirez – 02.11.2014, Herediano - Deportivo Saprissa, Primera Division (Costa Rica)

Carlos Tevez – 09.11.2014, Juventus – Parma Calcio, Serie A (Italy)

Puskas Goal of The Year 72 votes

David Ball
    0%
    Gonzalo Castro
    6%
    3hn2givr7mx1scbackspacerLegwinskime89Hollister11 5 votes
    Alessandro Florenzi
    0%
    Wendell Lira
    4%
    Seans_Usernamedr.kenneth noisewaterWinston Payne 3 votes
    Carli Lloyd
    1%
    shotamoose 1 vote
    Lionel Messi
    2%
    FatherTedMickeroo 2 votes
    Philippe Mexes
    58%
    Sandjoseph brandsymbolicMr.Nice GuyShagNastiiLord TSCdfx-ShanotheslayerUlysses GazeKirbycorcaigh07artanevillaDeeper Bluejethro081CR 7Patserdreamers75GavRedKingGlico Mandoncarlos 42 votes
    Marcel Ndjeng
    13%
    Talismanadaminhokillwilleagle eyemajor billFerris_Buellerdoc_17stiffler123Blondie919To Alcohol 10 votes
    Esteban Ramirez
    4%
    Kingp35LuckyGent88stephenl15 3 votes
    Carlos Tevez
    8%
    HalloweenJackMrKingsleyOmackeralwonga77MightyMandarinSubcomandante Marcos 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Philippe Mexes
    1. Messi
    2. Ramirez
    3. Lloyd

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Philippe Mexes
    [Poll added]

...personally prefer Messi's chip against Munich though than the Bilbao goal

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

How is that Carli Lloyd goal there? Terrible goalkeeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Philippe Mexes
    Amirani wrote: »
    How is that Carli Lloyd goal there? Terrible goalkeeping.

tokenism, a few goals scored in freindlies that really shouldnt be in this.

shame its not in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Philippe Mexes
    Messi, Lira and Tevez in that order.

A lot of the nominated goals are basically long shots which could have ended up anywhere but look great because they landed in the back of the net. The goal scored by Messi in particular was the sort of thing which took vastly more ability than hitting and hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Philippe Mexes
    Messi
    Ramirez
    Mexes

Surprised that Lamelas rabona goal wasn't nominated

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Philippe Mexes
    Mexes' is an outstanding goal, probably it and Messi's a distance ahead of the others for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd take that David Ball goal, very nice. Messi and Lira after that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Carli Lloyd's goal was pure rubbish goalkeeping, I'm sure there's an unspoken quota to include a women's football goal, but there must be better to pick from? Compare Roche's goal to that! It should be about either individual or team brilliance(which Roche's was) and I don't think catching a keeper off their line fits into that. I didn't think Ball's was anything special, it was a screamer but nothing more. For Florenzi again the keeper not quite as bad as Lloyd's one but catching a keeper off their line shouldn't be goal of the year contender.

Messi's the best individual goal for me, so I feel it should win. Did everything himself and embarrassed a few players while he was at it. Lira's was the sexiest though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Philippe Mexes
    dfx- wrote: »
    Mexes' is an outstanding goal, probably it and Messi's a distance ahead of the others for me

I love a purely struck volley, but he had to leap off the ground to get the contact just right which made it even better.

It's the sort of goal they'd score in some Japanese anime series about football (and probably ghosts or cat-people as well. Because Japan.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Lionel Messi
    In Carli Lloyd's defense, it was from inside her own half in a World Cup Final.

Also, not sure why goals from preseason friendly games are included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Marcel Ndjeng
    I voted for Mexes' goal.
    Would have Ball second I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Philippe Mexes
    It's Messi for me, and by a fair distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,550 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Philippe Mexes
    Messi for me also. Wendell Lira's goal 2nd which was also extremely tasty. Agree on the Lloyd goal, stinks of tokenism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Carlos Tevez
    Lloyd essentially hit the target from 50 yards. World cup final or not its got no place on the list.

Id say the same from any goals scored in friendlies.

Cant understand how lamelas goal didnt make the list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Which goals are in friendlies? I also thought games had to be competitive and top level to qualify, so Balls goal, despite it being brilliant, doesn't meet that, unless I'm mistaken.

Messi goal for me due to the ability in the run up. Love Estebans goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Marcel Ndjeng
    Mexes goal for me, it's one of them that you could try 1000 times and never get it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭Patser

Philippe Mexes
    Tevez for me. The balance and the fact he knew exactly what he was doing each time, the side step, the flick past the last defender and the nonchalant rolling ball past a keeper he'd sold the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Philippe Mexes
    Definitely Messi's for me too. A lot of the goals are (if you take an overly simplistic view:p) single great touches, whereas his is a series of them and still a tough finish at the end, and against good opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,550 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Philippe Mexes
    Honestly though, if you're including goals scored in friendlies you may aswell stick in the belter someone scored in training. Ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Philippe Mexes
    Messi
    Tevez
    Ramirez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Philippe Mexes
    Some great goals but I would have to go for Messi as well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Philippe Mexes
    Messi. Ridiculous close control and footwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Philippe Mexes
    How is Lamela's rabona not part of that list? Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Carlos Tevez
    Messi, Ramirez, Tevez

I'm a sucker for great dribbles and even though Ramirez's was a belter, his two touches off the chest and head were outstanding.

How Carli Lloyd's goal made it puzzles me. I imagine there's some stupid women quota on that list, but even at that, I would think there'd be a better goal scored by a woman this year. Goals like that happen every week in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Philippe Mexes
    Messi
    Lira
    Ramirez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,401 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I love Florenzi's goal, surprised it isn't getting more love. Great vision and execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Mushy wrote: »
    Which goals are in friendlies? I also thought games had to be competitive and top level to qualify, so Balls goal, despite it being brilliant, doesn't meet that, unless I'm mistaken.

Messi goal for me due to the ability in the run up. Love Estebans goal.

Last year there was a lot of debate about Roche's goal and if it met the criteria, which it did as it was a competitive game at the highest level. So I guess the criteria have changed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Philippe Mexes
    How Carli Lloyd's goal made it puzzles me. I imagine there's some stupid women quota on that list, but even at that, I would think there'd be a better goal scored by a woman this year. Goals like that happen every week in football.

The argument I've seen is that the context to the goal is as important as her goal itself; World Cup finals and it capped her hatrick, which only took her something like 16 minutes.

But then, the rules apparently changed in recent times and they say it should be judged as follows...

It should be a beautiful goal (subjective — the spread of goals should include long-range shots, team goals, overhead kicks, individual plays, etc.).
    The award should be awarded "without distinction of championship, gender or nationality".
    The goal should not be the result of luck, mistakes or a deflection by a teammate or the other team.
    The goal should support fair play, i.e. the player should not have behaved badly in the game or have been charged with doping, for example.

Specifically, "The award should be awarded "without distinction of championship, gender or nationality"." So goals in friendlies get into the system because there shouldn't be a distinction based on what competition (or not) the goal was scored in.

In which case, Lloyd's should be based solely on its own merit, not on context, and while it's great she hit the target from so far out, it was bad goalkeeping more than a great goal (something the rules say the goal shouldn't be the result of), and there's a few more on the list which are significantly better struck.

Anyway, it's Messi all the way for me, based on whats there. A lucky belter from 50 yards out is all well and good, but a run like that where you destroy a defense like that, single-handedly, is just on a different level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Ball, Messi, Florenzi. as Top 3

Token female goal and they pick the wrong one. Long distance goal from Florenzi is much better and more difficult at full speed and from the side line.

Pretty sure she will make the top 3 though.

Apart from Messi's goal i have with all those goals a "did it myself or could have done that myself" (at my own level...). That Messi goal is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Esteban Ramirez
    Glad to see I'm not the only one pissed by the lack of Lamela. Better than any goal on this list imo, completely unique. Anyway, for me it's probably Messi, Lira, Ndjeng in that order.

I voted Ndjeng in the poll but changed my mind. Friendly and all that. And looked at it again not as good as I remember :P

But cmon, look at that Lamela goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Mexes's goal by a distance for me, incredibly difficult strike to execute

Esteban Ramirez
    Messi, Lira and Florenzi make it to the final three. Looks to be pretty obvious who the winner is going to be and deservedly so with the ommission of Lamela's goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Philippe Mexes
    Lamelas goal, while a good goal to watch is nowhere in the same category as Messi. It probably deserved to be recognised and nominated but an overall winner? No hope.

EL group game versus a Greek minnow or Copa Del Ray Final vs Atheltic Bilbao?

Esteban Ramirez
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    Lamelas goal, while a good goal to watch is nowhere in the same category as Messi. It probably deserved to be recognised and nominated but an overall winner? No hope.

EL group game versus a Greek minnow or Copa Del Ray Final vs Atheltic Bilbao?

I've literally never seen a rabona goal scored at any sort of decent level before

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Philippe Mexes
    Lamela's goal is truly unique. You might try that 100 times and it'll come off once the way it did that night. On the other hand, I cannot name a player in recent memory could score that goal Messi scored besides himself. I mean many have tried a run like that and got caught shot after the first or second man. They're both extremely hard to do...but Lamela's is more of a trick shot rather than a "great goal"...obviously both are great goals..but Lamela's is something you'd see one of those freestyle Youtuber lads do rather on a court rather than on a pitch. Messi's is peak of technical skill, speed and finishing. Then again were it Ibra or Neymar you can be certain Lamela's would be in the top 3. The fact it wasn't nominated is a joke tbf.

Philippe Mexes
    stephenl15 wrote: »
    I've literally never seen a rabona goal scored at any sort of decent level before

Calleri got one for Boca a few months back, thats the most recent one I can think of.

Theres also this from a few years back which is my favourite rabona goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Messi is probably going to take it. It's a great goal in fairness.

Was I the only one that was a bit underwhelmed by some of the goals? Don't get me wrong, they are all great strikes, but something tells me there has to be better than some of that top ten, over the last twelve months.

Philippe Mexes
    Assuming Messi wins it, he'll be the first player to win the Balon D'or and Puskas award, thats also assuming he wins the Balon D'or, but he looks a safe bet in both TBH. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Philippe Mexes
    GavRedKing wrote: »

Theres also this from a few years back which is my favourite rabona goal.

Nowhere near as good as Lamela's or Calleri. They meant theirs. That fellow is trying to cross and miss hit it. Still great to look at but he didnt mean it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

You are all wrong as usual :D
    Best rabona ever!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Messi probably edges it but that Tevez goal is not getting enough love. That little fake at the end to just roll the ball in is pure class especially after sprinting half the pitch.

Advertisement