Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-34910377

Scotland's public spending watchdog has found no evidence of fraud or corruption in Celtic's purchase of land for their Lennoxtown training complex.

Complaints were made to Audit Scotland over the 2006 deal between NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde (GGC) and Celtic.

No doubt some quarters in Scotland wanted to see if they could get some mud to stick to Celtic but failed miserably. Alot of failures by public bodies in Scotland is a recurring theme though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

gustafo wrote: »
    just wondering will this be a sellout, i'm in glasgow for work just wondering if i just rocked up thursday night would i get a ticket to get in?

Wont be near a sellout imo, you should be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Is tonights game on TV?

Bt2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Great goal by McGregor

Celtic start bright, again, I wont hold my breath at this intensity being maintained though!

Dempsey wrote: »
    Celtic start bright, again, I wont hold my breath at this intensity being maintained though!

As you predicted, good start but back to normal now

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

This is dire stuff. No backbone in this team. Ajax are bossing us about in our own half at home. Worst Celtic side in a long time.

Something fundamentally wrong with the way these players are being managed and Deila isnt good enough to fix the problem. I would have a lack of confidence in the board if Deila gets another season playing like this.

• Advertisement

It's no surprise we're under pressure when missing Brown, Biton & Commons but its the experienced players like Lustig letting us down.

Griffiths not looking sharp either, making poor decisions every time.

No one on the bench that looks capable of changing this either

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I've no confidence in Delia now, regardless of result tonight. Defend first and then worry about the rest. I can't remember a season where we gave so many soft goals away at home in Europe. When we went one up I said to my wife we'd want to be 3 up before I'd have any confidence in them to win as we'd easily concede at least one and probably 2.

We have some good individual players, that's the mad thing, but this ain't a team.

Losing patience myself with Delia, in the second half of last season I felt he had built a very good team who were playing a style of football that would do well for us both domestically & in Europe.

But we've gone backwards hugely since then, even taking into account losing players like VvD & Denayer we're a shadow of the side who took the game to Inter and actually played football doing it.

January will probably tell how much faith the board has in Delia, we need some experienced leaders in the team not more prospects

Brutal from griffiths

Griffiths left the shooting boots at home tonight!

Experience like Carlton Cole??

• Advertisement

Experience like Carlton Cole??

No thinking more along the lines of a centre back who can control the back line and a player in the mould of Samaras that can take the ball into the corner and take pressure off the rest of the team.

Allan has has me more excited than the rest of then put together in 5 mins on.

Celtic playing a little better now. Shame Griffiths is still on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Can't believe they haven't scored at least one of these chances in the second half

Disgraceful corner, terrible from Allan

Well that's that, very poor from Allan but with the lack of game time it's not surprising

• Advertisement

Embarrassing, infuriating stuff

Desperate stuff at the corner and it leads to us conceding. The players are clueless out there and the manager is clueless in the dugout and the jury is out on the board who recently given a vote of confidence to this mess.

Woops I take it back re. Allan. Very naive.

Ah well that's that.

WTF is Mulgrew at??

What happened with Mulgrew ??

Walked off the pitch, presume he's injured but no sign that he was

Ya Charlie M just texted me, said he didn't want to strangle Allan on the pitch and pick up a red.
    So headed for the dressing room to wait for him.

For me, that has to be curtains for Delia. If this guy is still in charge next season, season tickets should be boycotted.

I know it was near the end of the game, but as the players approached the box their heads were noticeably down. There was no enthusiasm. Mulgrew who'd only been on a few minutes , was possibly the most obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭eire4

PauloMN wrote: »
    For me, that has to be curtains for Delia. If this guy is still in charge next season, season tickets should be boycotted.

Not for me. I am 100% behind him. Had a good first season and so far this season we are top of the league and still in both cups. Europe has been a major disappointment no question but we were always going to have issues defensively with Denayer's loan ending and selling Van Dijk never mind also selling Matthews who played most of the games at right back last season with Lustig being injured.
    I wish we were in a different position where we could spend some decent money on players but we are not and Delia I think has a good vision for how he wants his team to play he needs time to build and develop the players for that. Sadly that takes time rather then just buying ready made players which we cannot afford to do at least not for the level that would make an immediate impact in European games.

• Advertisement

That's all very well if progress is being made but we have regressed rather than progressed. Our European season has been nothing short of an embarrassment this season. The lack of competition in the league also hides how poor we are. We need to be preparing for the fact that we'll have competition back in the league from next season and build from where we are. It will take Rangers a few seasons to build but this current Celtic team would certainly not be title certs with any decent domestic opponents.

Deila has lost the dressing room imo, that has been very clear to me for the last few months. The team have no idea how to hold on to a lead. I fully expect them to concede in every game and multiple times in European games. The heads were down against Ajax. FFS Ajax at home! It's not long ago we were beating the likes of Barca at home.

Sorry I don't buy this long term project stuff, certainly not when things are going backwards. 2 points from 5 games, potentially 6 in the Europa League is a disgrace.

I'm a little on the fence with Delia, for a start there#s no way he will be sacked any time soon but as Paolo said the team is regressing and he seems to not know how to fix it. I can see him buying a bit more time by walking to the title but in reality there is no competition in the league.

I'm not sure he has lost the dressing room but the ditching of tactics that worked last season and he was so set upon that he went public on certain players not being suitable points towards him not having a plan to take us forward.

I was fully behind him last season and going into this one due to believing the style of football he had us playing could work both domestically and in Europe but that has been ditched. We now have an overloaded attacking setup with forward players unwilling to work to win the ball back and leaving us exposed at the back.

Losing VanDijk and Denayer was a big blow but the impact could have been minimise by tweaking the formation to better protect the back 4 but that hasn't happened.

PauloMN wrote: »
    That's all very well if progress is being made but we have regressed rather than progressed. Our European season has been nothing short of an embarrassment this season. The lack of competition in the league also hides how poor we are. We need to be preparing for the fact that we'll have competition back in the league from next season and build from where we are. It will take Rangers a few seasons to build but this current Celtic team would certainly not be title certs with any decent domestic opponents.

Deila has lost the dressing room imo, that has been very clear to me for the last few months. The team have no idea how to hold on to a lead. I fully expect them to concede in every game and multiple times in European games. The heads were down against Ajax. FFS Ajax at home! It's not long ago we were beating the likes of Barca at home.

Sorry I don't buy this long term project stuff, certainly not when things are going backwards. 2 points from 5 games, potentially 6 in the Europa League is a disgrace.

Well I guess we will just have to agree to disagree then. Personally I am 100% behind Delia and the team.

I do not feel we have regressed. We are about the same level as we were last season. The difference being last season we were very strong defensively but struggled going forward. This season we have sold our best defender and lost 2 other 2 starters from last seasons back line. To not expect us to struggle defensively by comparison with last season is not realistic. Especially when the player signed as Van Dijk's replacement has only just got fit and is still working his way into things on the field.

In terms of lack of compettion in our own league. Sure we are far and away the best team. Hardly our fault. Maybe we should actually be praising the players and staff for that fact. Unlike others who cheated financially to gain advantage on the field we stuck at it within our means and as a result are reaping the rewards on the field. I will give great credit in particular to Aberdeen and Hearts who have improved tremendously and to some of the smaller provincial clubs who have done well. The league overall is in a better state as a result. But again for me instead of dismissing our current domestic dominance as irrelevant I praise it as we put ourselves in this position and have earned this and I for one am enjoying it.

I also disagree with your dressing room comments. We have shown well almost every time we have suffered a significant setback on the field. Hardly the sign of losing the dressing room from a manager. Might Delia not see eye to eye with some of the players he inherited sure maybe that is the case but thats normal after a change of manager.

Finally I think a lot or people have a choice to make. Much is made of lack of progress in Europe. Sure I am very disappointed by our European results in recent seasons. But the reality is we simply do not have the finances to compete at a champions league group stage level on an every year basis and expect to get results there. That is the reality of where we are financially and it will remain so for the foreseeable future. The best Celtic can hope for in Europe is to be able to build up a group of players like Lennon did and have the kind of run we did in 2012. But when that does happen the same thing will happen again our best players will be sold and we will have to start again. Its not fun and I wish things were different but we simply are dependant on bringing in our own academy players and finding and developing young raw talent from abroad to sell on at a profit in a few years because of the pathetic financial market we are based in. So some can choose to ignore the financial realities and dismiss our domestic dominance even though we have earned that ourselves or they can face up to the harsh reality of where we are financially and recognise the realities of that in terms of what we can do on the field in Europe.

100% behind Deila? Explain where the pressing game has gone?

I can understand people defending him but 100% behind him?? No doubts in anything? There is alot of explaining to be done by comments like that imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Stokes complaining on social media about not being on the bench for the game against Inverness.

https://twitter.com/stoksey10?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Another nice goal from McGregor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Finished 3-1 to Celtic with goals from McGregor, Griffiths and an own goal from Devine. The Sky pundits and ICT complaining about a handball from Cole for the own goal and managing to miss that the 2 defenders took Cole out and would have been a penalty if it had not gone in

Finished 3-1 to Celtic with goals from McGregor, Griffiths and an own goal from Devine. The Sky pundits and ICT complaining about a handball from Cole for the own goal and managing to miss that the 2 defenders took Cole out and would have been a penalty if it had not gone in

Thought the second half was decent especially given how bad the weather conditions were. Not a pretty game but a key hard fought win. Exactly the kind that wins league titles.
    Give Inverness some credit as well for getting a pitch that was playable. How many times in recent years have we seen away games at this time of year on cabbage patches so fair play to Inverness.

100% behind Deila? Explain where the pressing game has gone?

I can understand people defending him but 100% behind him?? No doubts in anything? There is alot of explaining to be done by comments like that imo

To answer your questions in order:

Yes I am 100% behind Delia. You are always going to have a hard time pressing high up the field when you have the kind of defensive issues we currently have after losing and selling 3 of our 4 key back starters from last season. No no doubts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

eire4 wrote: »
    To answer your questions in order:

Yes I am 100% behind Delia. You are always going to have a hard time pressing high up the field when you have the kind of defensive issues we currently have after losing and selling 3 of our 4 key back starters from last season. No no doubts.

Didn't Deila sign their, so far, terrible replacements?? He's out of his depth. Time to go, get a new man in. Let him use Jan to strengthen and go from there, hopefully ready for the qualifiers next summer.

Didn't Deila sign their, so far, terrible replacements?? He's out of his depth. Time to go, get a new man in. Let him use Jan to strengthen and go from there, hopefully ready for the qualifiers next summer.

Yes Delia signed Boyata and Simunovic. I would disagree that they are terrible. For me they have only just started to play together in recent games due to Simunovic's injury issues for the first couple of months of the season and they have shown promise but time will tell how they will do. Kelvin Wilson had his struggles when he came first and turned out to be a good signing.
    Delia far from being out of his depth is a good fit for the circumstances we find ourselves in where we are dependant on bringing through some of our own academy players and finding some young and or raw players from elsewhere and working with them to develop them to the point where they can be sold for significant profit within 2-3 years.
    There is no question the financial constraints we find ourselves having to operate within are very frustrating but that is the reality and all things consdiered I think we are doing well and in good shape going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,603 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Yes Delia signed Boyata and Simunovic. I would disagree that they are terrible. For me they have only just started to play together in recent games due to Simunovic's injury issues for the first couple of months of the season and they have shown promise but time will tell how they will do. Kelvin Wilson had his struggles when he came first and turned out to be a good signing.
    Delia far from being out of his depth is a good fit for the circumstances we find ourselves in where we are dependant on bringing through some of our own academy players and finding some young and or raw players from elsewhere and working with them to develop them to the point where they can be sold for significant profit within 2-3 years.
    There is no question the financial constraints we find ourselves having to operate within are very frustrating but that is the reality and all things consdiered I think we are doing well and in good shape going forward.

This is cloud cuckoo land stuff. Deila is learning on the job and he's a slow learner. He probably will get another crack at CL qualification next summer but that's only 'cos we have no competition in Scotland and he can pick up another trophy or two. When it comes to Europe - the only place we are challenged- he has been utterly clueless so far, completely out of his depth. In my view the board are taking a massive gamble in sticking by him in the hopes that he gets to grips with the job enough to get us to punch our weight and qualify. A third year on the trot without CL funding will be very costly.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    This is cloud cuckoo land stuff. Deila is learning on the job and he's a slow learner. He probably will get another crack at CL qualification next summer but that's only 'cos we have no competition in Scotland and he can pick up another trophy or two. When it comes to Europe - the only place we are challenged- he has been utterly clueless so far, completely out of his depth. In my view the board are taking a massive gamble in sticking by him in the hopes that he gets to grips with the job enough to get us to punch our weight and qualify. A third year on the trot without CL funding will be very costly.

Well from your initial insulting dismissal of someone with a different opinion to yourself I will assume we will just have to agree to disagree.

I will agree that Delia is learning on the job though. Just like the type of young raw players we sign and hope to be able to develop into attractive players we can sell at a significant profit we are in the same market manager wise.
    As others are your very dismissive of our domestic success. Personally I am not and am enjoying the kind of dominance and success we are enjoying domestically which we have earned as a club through our own good management over a long period on and off the field. I am also hopeful that we can go one step further then last season domestically and win a treble. Something only done 3 times before in Celtic's history and not since 2001 under Martin O'Neill. We were very unlucky not to get the treble last season. Really only a woeful call against Inverness in the semi-final denied us but also showed how hard it is to win a domestic treble.
    In terms of Europe yes Delia has yet to show he can be a success at that level. But just as with the kind of players we can afford our current financial limitations mean we simply cannot afford to go out and get the kind of players and managers that could all but guarantee champions league group stage football every year. That is our reality. With Delia I believe he deserves more time to build a complete side that is able to function with the vision he has for the game and I believe he is capable of doing that and building a team that can get to the group stages of the champions league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Simunovic looks like he could improve. Boyata is a bombscare. Janko can't get a game. Cifti is about as useful as having a wheelie bin up top. Scepovic was less useful than that. Mackay-Steven and Armstrong look half the players they were. All Ronny signings.

Can you name one player who has made a sustained improvement under him??

Simunovic looks like he could improve. Boyata is a bombscare. Janko can't get a game. Cifti is about as useful as having a wheelie bin up top. Scepovic was less useful than that. Mackay-Steven and Armstrong look half the players they were. All Ronny signings.

Can you name one player who has made a sustained improvement under him??

Craig Gordon, Leigh Griffiths, Nir Biton, Kieran Tierney.

I still hold out hope for Boyata and Simunovic too early to say how they will do yet for me. Janko looked pretty good when he played before he got injured. Good potential there. MacKay-Steven and Armstrong were good last season and have indeed not reached that level consistently this season so far. Hopefully that will change as they both have a lot of up side. Scepovic agreed just not someone who never seemed to want to even be at Celtic. Ciftic no doubt about it has struggled badly so far.

• Advertisement

Well from your initial insulting dismissal of someone with a different opinion to yourself I will assume we will just have to agree to disagree.

I will agree that Delia is learning on the job though. Just like the type of young raw players we sign and hope to be able to develop into attractive players we can sell at a significant profit we are in the same market manager wise.
    As others are your very dismissive of our domestic success. Personally I am not and am enjoying the kind of dominance and success we are enjoying domestically which we have earned as a club through our own good management over a long period on and off the field. I am also hopeful that we can go one step further then last season domestically and win a treble. Something only done 3 times before in Celtic's history and not since 2001 under Martin O'Neill. We were very unlucky not to get the treble last season. Really only a woeful call against Inverness in the semi-final denied us but also showed how hard it is to win a domestic treble.
    In terms of Europe yes Delia has yet to show he can be a success at that level. But just as with the kind of players we can afford our current financial limitations mean we simply cannot afford to go out and get the kind of players and managers that could all but guarantee champions league group stage football every year. That is our reality. With Delia I believe he deserves more time to build a complete side that is able to function with the vision he has for the game and I believe he is capable of doing that and building a team that can get to the group stages of the champions league.

We should have qualified with the players we have and would have if we had a manager capable of organising the team properly and get the best out of them in Europe. Sorry if you think I'm being rude but I find it hard to fathom someone saying they have "no doubts " about a manager who has looked out of his depth when the pressure is on in Europe. CL funding is worth over 20 million a year, Celtic can't afford to be going without that sort of windfall, continuing to miss out will set the club back years. Maybe Deila will get it together for next summer, but for me it's a huge gamble to take to stick with him given what's at stake and given his failure in the EL Group after failing v Malmo.

Craig Gordon, Leigh Griffiths, Nir Biton, Kieran Tierney.

I still hold out hope for Boyata and Simunovic too early to say how they will do yet for me. Janko looked pretty good when he played before he got injured. Good potential there. MacKay-Steven and Armstrong were good last season and have indeed not reached that level consistently this season so far. Hopefully that will change as they both have a lot of up side. Scepovic agreed just not someone who ever seemed to what to even be at Celtic. Ciftic no doubt about it has struggled badly so far.

We have plenty of good players, unfortunately we don't have a manager with the skills to organise the team properly and get the best out of them. The players isn't the problem it has been the manager that has been the problem in relation to our failure in Europe. Maybe he can get us to the CL next time, it took Lenny 3 years to get there, but it doesn't look good after this seasons Euro campaigns. If anything it looks like we went backways from last season.

We have plenty of good players, unfortunately we don't have a manager with the skills to organise the team properly and get the best out of them. The players isn't the problem it has been the manager that has been the problem in relation to our failure in Europe. Maybe he can get us to the CL next time, it took Lenny 3 years to get there, but it doesn't look good after this seasons Euro campaigns. If anything it looks like we went backways from last season.

Well as I figured we are in disagreement on this one. I think Delia is a good fit for where we are as a club right now. Hopefully indeed like Lennon he can get us to the group stages of the champions league next season which would be his third season. In the meantime hopefully he can build on our current success domestically as well.

Well as I figured we are in disagreement on this one. I think Delia is a good fit for where we are as a club right now. Hoepfully indeed like Lennon he can get us to the group stages of the champions league next season which would be his third season. In the meantime hopefully he can build on our current success domestically as well.

Looks like the board are going to stick with him in the hopes that he'll get us qualified next time. Maybe they think they are saving money in the short term, changing manager costs money, but I think it's a huge gamble to stick with him in charge of the next qualifier series given his performance in Europe this season. Seeing as it looks like they are going to stick with him hopefully it will work out, but I would have doubts about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Who would you prefer? Someone like Roy Keane to manage Celtic? He's no upgrade on Deila. One good season at Sunderland and then blew wads of cash at Sunderland and Ipswich with little success.

The SPL is not, at the moment, an attractive prospect for most top Managers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement