Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 NEW WARNING FROM MODS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Brian? wrote: »
    Best squad in our history? Are you having a giraffe? It's not even the best squad in the Premier League, that was Moyes team in 08/09 with Arteta, Cahill, Yakubu etc. .

The 80s and 60s teams were better by miles, 2 championships in each decade.

You correct on the latter, incorrect on the former

In my humble opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Best squad in our history? Are you having a giraffe? It's not even the best squad in the Premier League, that was Moyes team in 08/09 with Arteta, Cahill, Yakubu etc. .

Don't remember the team of the 60's , but the team of the mid 80's , when i started supporting, were possibly best team in Europe (We'll never know for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Gavlor wrote: »
    You correct on the latter, incorrect on the former

In my humble opinion

Can you expand on that? I'd be interested in your reasoning

Forget that. Didn't read your post properly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

I can't remember the starting eleven in 08/09 but our strongest eleven this season is pretty strong
    Howard
    Coleman jags stones baines
    Deulofeu Mccarthy barry mirallas
    Barkley
    Lukaku

08 was probably
    Howard
    Nevile jags lescott baines
    Osman arteta fellaini pienaar
    Cahill
    Yakubu

Not much in it is there

• Advertisement

Lumbo wrote: »
    Forget that. Didn't read your post properly!

Because Osman & Gibson are far better than Reid and bracewell. Deal with it. Give me hibbo storming down the wing over Gary Stevens anyway of the week :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I meant PL. I think its better than any side we've had in the PL era.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

We have a cracking team on paper - we have players that would walk into most of the other EPL teams (Stones, Coleman, Del, Lukaku to name a few) - we should be at least top 6 every season with the squad we have, some may disagree but I absolutely think that only the Manchesters, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and our neighbours have teams that rival ours

Last season was pathetic, this won't be news to anyone - but we do look like we may get top 6 which is exactly where we belong right now

A bit of investment (Hello Bill?! You there?!) and we could break top 4 more regularly than under Moyes but anything less than top 6 this season will be a failure for Martinez - with that said I would give him the till the end of the season and then make a judgement then; we had a very tough start to the season and we are still doing OKish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The premier league has been declining in quality for the past 5/6 years and yet we still cannot seem to finish higher

I think we've done well in the past few transfer windows.

We don't splash silly money on dodgy players, like our near neighbours do.

I'm all in favour of Martinez, but he has some serious flaws that he needs to address
    Substitution policy (need to be more proactive in games - subs can change a game for the positive, lack of subs can change for the negative like last Saturday.
    Defending set pieces
    Attacking set pieces (first goal from a set piece in sooooo long. teams used to fear Everton winning a set piece)
    Injury prevention and management (the hamstring curse. Martinez let the american go who had been overseeing this work under Moyes)

Hearing Mccarthy is out tonight.

• Advertisement

Martinez you tactical genius.....

Fickle? Me?

Barkley has been muck so far though.....

Barkley has been muck so far though.....

He always waits on the ball to come to him. Very easy for a defender to read.

He always waits on the ball to come to him. Very easy for a defender to read.

He seems to lack any urgency when he's on the ball - can slow the game right down, more often than not it ends with him losing the ball as well

Is ossie still playing??

Is ossie still playing??

Apparently

Apparently

He just keeps giving the ball away ffs

Good to see Baines back in blue

Stoke in the semi is probably the for the best.

Then beat liverpool in the final.

Stoke in the semi is probably the for the best.

Then beat liverpool in the final.

Anyone but Liverpool for me. Stoke in the semi-finals and saints in the final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Run of the mill victory, kept Boro at arms length, I'd fancy anybody over two legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

These draws are often fixed. Set up for a Man city -v- Liverpool final - so we'll probably get one of them!

Obviously that's if Liverpool get thru tonight - Southampton have been poor enough at home all season though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭wally79

Joshua J wrote: »
    Honestly not being smart but you'd really enjoy Grand Old Team. Criticism of Bobby is not tolerated over there.

I can't stand that davek lad

Blinkered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭wally79

Laois_Man wrote: »
    These draws are often fixed. Set up for a Man city -v- Liverpool final - so we'll probably get one of them!

Obviously that's if Liverpool get thru tonight - Southampton have been poor enough at home all season though.

Do you really believe the draws are fixed???

I can't see them risking that really

Typical

Best time to get City.

We've had an easy enough run so far

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Best time to get City.

We've had an easy enough run so far

Best time to get city is not to get city!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

City over Pool for me. All day every day. Our record V Pool is shocking. At least we might get something at City.

Also, pops up every year... Away goals? Only After ET in 2nd leg they count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The thing that worries me is the fact that the first leg is on Jan 5th so we'll be playing a very highly resourced squad straight after the Christmas schedule which always stretches our squad resources to the limit, It'll be our 4th match in 10 days - so we're at a huge disadvantage there. And the FA Cup 3rd round is the following Saturday too - so if we get a bad draw in that next Monday night, we could have the same problem there. Then we play Man City away in the Premier League in what will be our 6th game in 18 days, and if our FA cup third round game goes to a replay, the second leg is our 8th game in a month with the FA Cup 4th round straight after it too hopefully.

That's a hell of a lot of games for us and it's the biggest problem in drawing Man City and the size of their squad. We need the currently injured players back, especially McCarthy, and no more injuries and suspensions - all unlikely. We're going to need everybody!

• Advertisement

Great chance to go above the local title contenders tonight and with a few winnable games coming to put in a good push for the top 4/5

However, this being Everton we'll probably lose to Palace (again) and then go on a run of mediocrity

Up to 6th if we win I think - Zaha and Sako missing for them, should be easy enough to shackle Bolasie (just double up like we did Bale back in the day) - hopefully Baines will start, nothing against Galloway but while he is a competent enough player he is hopeless at providing the quality deliveries that Baines can, and hopefully Barkley will step off the free kicks - they have been woeful lately

Must win tonight to stay in touch with top 4. Can't see Baines starting yet. Reckon it will be 2\3 more games before he's ready. We haven't lost in 17 Monday night games so that's a good omen hopefully

Home to Dagenham or whitehawk in the cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭garra

As a Pool fan I don't much enjoy having 3 everton players in my FF team tonight. Conflicted but hoping for a high scoring game!

Why do everton even bother taking corners?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Still can't defend against headers !

Why do everton even bother taking corners?

We obviously don't defend them either.

Also, how is kone still on the pitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

That just happened again.

Kone is an absolute passenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Kone is an absolute passenger.

He look very tired.

• Advertisement

Martinez 100% to blame for not picking up 3 points.

13 corners and not a shot at goal from one.

Easy goal conceded from a corner.

His only sub was taking off the left full?

Jesus. Palace packed the middle and kone stayed tucked in, we had no option wide left and mirallas scratching his hole on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Everton midfield was as bad as any tonight Barkley & Delefou decision and end product were really poor. Barry and cleverly the same player no energy can't see a telling pass slow everything get caught on it to much. Everton back four to a man were excellent Stones is a serious player he would play in any back four at the moment

It's a joke mirallas wasn't brought on. And kone left on for 90 mins. Madness and why Martinez won't get us top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

eh i dunno wrote: »
    It's a joke mirallas wasn't brought on. And kone left on for 90 mins. Madness and why Martinez won't get us top 4

Come February I have a feeling Bobby's gonna regret not being nicer to Kev. With Chelsea and City struggling defensively a bid in the region of 50mil for Stones would see him gone. I have a sneaking feeling Rom will be off to UTD too they really need goals.

Another one of those games tonight. Yeah we hit the post a few times and got unlucky but Howard pulled off three great saves too. We can't defend, just have no idea how to defend.

I actually thought we were bullied physically by Palace, who really play to their strengths

there is very poor balance to the team at the moment, with nothing happening down the left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I actually thought we were bullied physically by Palace, who really play to their strengths

there is very poor balance to the team at the moment, with nothing happening down the left

The balance is there with Lennon and Miralles both there, the manager just refuses to use them.

Naismith has been making a bit of noise this week. 6 or 7 mill & adios!

https://twitter.com/evertonbuzztap/status/675081438816051202

Naismith has been making a bit of noise this week. 6 or 7 mill & adios!

https://twitter.com/evertonbuzztap/status/675081438816051202

Well this is just devastating....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Well this is just devastating....

Sarcasm aside, I don't want him to leave. He's a handy option on the bench for a fairly thin squad.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

There goes the goals v Chelsea

Hopefully 3 points today

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement