Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

amusing anecdotes but I think maybe he was reciting his after dinner set possibly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I was about to say, enjoyable pod with Brady, much better than Sam Allardyce... And I liked his point at the end about possibly taking Brian Kerr as next manager...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,627 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I didn't realise he had a real problem with Roy Keane.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Chirpy Chippy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭siblers

He should have had a few scoops before he had gone on air during his RTE time. Very entertaining

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

That was a great chat with Brady. Bit of a greatest hits but enjoyable. Huge contrast with big Sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Brady was brilliant. He would have been far better than Fat Sam at a bigger venue.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Sam was a great choice....on paper. Used to come across as funny and frank. But he's now tilting at windwills in a fairly unhealthy sounding voice.

"Dire Straits, now there was a band, not this muck ye got now. I don't even know if Africans learn to parallel park in their country. Chopstick! Wtf is that? End up harpooning your food with'm. If you've got no options up front just play it back, now that's using the goalie! ".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

You would swear Big Sam threatened to shot the Pope. #LeaveBigSamAlone

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The Milan Brescia game they mentioned is on YouTube in full, watched a few minutes before both goals, Milan were kicking it around like in that Simpsons episode then mysteriously forget how to defend right after they score, hilarious stuff.

They didn't mention that Brescia were relegated after a play off the week after the Milan game.

• Advertisement

I presume it’s not Brady’s commentary on YouTube?

his line on comms during subtitute breaks that they might take the goalkeepers off was very dry, I probably found it the best laugh of that pod

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It is with the Brady and Brackley commentary, worth watching for Chippy's comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Ken's Rainier Wolfcastle style impersonation of Swiss fans reminded me again why i pay my fiver a month

Not a patch on his Danish 'WiFi wanker' accent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

The whole bit about Man Utd deserving an emmy for making must watch tv was brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I think Brernard Manning was telling Brady's dry cleaners gag back in the seventies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

Has Ken already forgot the state of our national team and its attendant FA the last four years, we’re a basket case with notions about what style we should be playing and the FAI is run by a dodger who replaced THE John Delaney and immediately tried to circumvent his own salary cap by getting paid for holidays not taken.

We had no money to pay-off Kenny when it was obvious he was a busted flush and the new man will be getting pay that he could get in some League One clubs. And the WC qualifier campaign might already be DoA assuming we slip into bowl 4 and have to beat two teams higher than us to even make a play-off.

Let’s not fool ourselves into thinking this is an attractive job, unless you’re Gus Poyet I guess.

It’s a good job in that by the time the new manager has his first competitive game we’ll probably be around 65th in the world rankings. So getting us up the ladder probably won’t be a big challenge as Kenny took us down from about 35th.

so the new manager should have a rankings gain on his CV even if he can’t qualify us for anything.

its also a good job in terms of our players are experienced but still young.

i think Ken was pushing the boat out a bit by saying we had some very good players but can see generally where he’s coming from.

i don’t think it’s a horribly unattractive job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Plus the fans wear the tracksuits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

Pay Kenny off and do what? FAI were right to let him finish the campaign, literally made no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭atilladehun

It can be a great job for a couple of different candidates.

I think they're right that Lee Carsley won't get the England job. It's not about his nationality. His profile isn't high enough. There's been loads of u21 managers. Southgate already had a high profile. The Ireland job is a step up for Carsley because everyone knows mens football is cutthroat and u21s isn't. Climbing rankings and qualifying to a tournament would be massive for his CV.

Poyet likes the Ireland job because he knows no one is looking at him in Greece. At least in Ireland he can grab the UK media attention too stone extent. Get in the minds of the club owners.

The busted flushes are all obviously interested. I wouldn't write them all off into one category. I've no interest in Sam, don't like his attitude, or Bruce, don't think he's any good. Lennon would love the job at least. I don't think he's good either but feel like he wouldn't be a part timer and he's cheap. I think Hughton is marginally better but his football is grim.

The list isn't great. We're gonna have to pick someone though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭The Davestator

'The List isn't great' That's my fear. Not too many people had heard of De Zerbi when Brighton appointed him, not many had heard of Iraola when Bournemouth appointment him.

Hopefully, someone in the FA is looking further than big Sam and Steve Bruce etc. and can actually bring in a quality manager that wont break the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bamayang

It was so good. I did feel he got interrupted though, I think he had another good 5 minutes of TV analogies to work through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Dante

I think Carsley would be absolutely insane to even consider the Ireland job.

A total basketcase of an FAI, pretty low pay compared to other potential gigs, very mediocre players compared to what he is currently working with, the list goes on.

Surely there are far better options out there given his potential and reputation.

Kerr had a go at Brady over the suggestion of him for manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Raoul

I think Ken's point about bringing Elliot on for Keane does actually say a significant amount about Brian Kerr.

Yeah, it's a real can't see the wood for the trees move there.

Kerr had the football knowledge and ability for the job but he didn't have the gravitas. It's unfortunate but it is required. It can be earned through excellent management but that's super rare.

Keane and Kerr wouldn't have let any spat develop if they had mutual respect. Kerr felt he needed to assert himself through actions which further upset Keane. Keane held onto an earlier issue that he would have let go of it was trapp. It's a flaw to that type of manager.

I think Kenny would have had the same issue back then. He has no superstars now so he didn't have to deal with that. He just couldn't get this weaker group to over achieve.

The respect thing can be a flaw too. There's loads of managers who get it in spades when they're doing a poor job tactically or selection wise.

Not sure how Ken thought Ben Mee's challenge was only a yellow. Seemed a fairly blatant one.

Same with Jimenez

Do agree with him on Dalot though

Ken with the completely wrong take on the Dalot sending off, entirely deserved and it’s high time the referees take a harder line with dissent because it’s become utterly ridiculous theatre with players gurning for the crowd over every single decision. Keep firing out the cards until the dumb dumbs in the shorts and betting sponsorship logos figure out it’s not going to fly.

Except we've seen that the refs are the exact same as the players. They can't control their emotions either and are completely reactive to their environment. Why didn't Núñez get anything for his dissent? Zero.

Trent got a yellow vs Newcastle for a tiny show of dissent when he was fouled but then the ref went haywire after that and didn't book trent for his stupid retaliation. The same ref didn't once book a Newcastle player for dissent or card calling on numerous occasions in the game.

The strict authoritarian thing never works because you can never do that all of the time. If Dalot did the same thing in the 15th minute there's no way the ref gives two yellow cards. The ref would be terrified of being accused of ruining the game, which is why Núñez didn't get a second yellow and why the cards weren't flying in the Newcastle game. Dalot got the second yellow because it was in injury time and the ref had an emotional response to an emotional outburst but knew it was almost over so there won't be any repercussions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I suppose its the consistency. Why did Darwin also not get a double yellow etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,469 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Ref might not view sarcastic applause and abusive language as the same thing. Very hard to say as we don't know what Dalot said

Is see SF 69ers in the show desciption. Presume it relates to this from the RTE website the other day.

I’m more afraid that the Super League is going to happen now that Miguel is so sure it isn’t going. The strength of his conviction on a topic is usually a bellwether of the opposite being the actual outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 the_bigman

Did he say that? Thought he just laid out the legal situation as is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

One of Miguel's least annoying appearances. He didn't say he super league wouldn't happen. Ken said that rafa was sure it wouldn't happen and ken himself was unconvinced

I haven't listened to today's pod yet, but when Eoin mentioned it yesterday it got me thinking, I'd be very happy to listen to the lads (as long as Ken's involved!) discussing non sports movies. Murph mentioned Blazing Saddles, that kind of thing I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

I really enjoyed the movie review show. I watched the Ronnie O’Sullivan documentary a few days ago but found myself getting distracted so I feel like I need to watch the last half hour or so again.

Also pleasantly surprised to hear the reference to the Rest is History’s series on the assassination of JFK. I’m nearly through it and finding it absolutely brilliant, a strong recommendation for anyone looking for something to listen to over Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It won't happen in the guise that was originally mooted a few years ago with those specific clubs - I think the lads talked about that a fair bit.

English clubs would destroy their fanbase, German clubs have issues with their fanbase. When it comes down to it, you'd think the other clubs would have major issues at fanbase level.

A connectted topic they spoke about yesterday as well I think was Klopps advise to his own fans and his moaning at them for being flat against West Ham etc.

The point was made that ticket prices are going up all the time as are all the ancillaries associated with the matchday experience. It's driving younger fans away and you get less energy with older fans. You would only guess that any type of Super League would lead to higher ticket prices as clubs rarely give anything back to the match going fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,977 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I saw the A22 CEO fella speak at the Web Summit last year, and it sounded like this alright - that the new iteration of it was very different, and more realistic, than the previous effort.

The way he was framing it was much more as a launchpad for the struggling leagues all across Europe. Basically, all the European also-rans who get fck all TV time, but are still decent enough teams, particularly when watched playing opposition of a similar level. Rather than starting as a competitor to the CL, it sounded like something to start the process of elevating all those non-elite teams, giving them access to the wider market rather than being stuck behind a BT/TNT(or other network) subscription paywall.

Given how many of them are really struggling for money, their fans are a lot more likely to get on board with this, particularly as they've little allegiance to a current European structure than effectively ignores them as much as possible anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,627 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

"They got very pretentious... except for your man McDevitt"

"I think you just misused the word deigning just now."

• Registered Users Posts: 33 choosetheend

Do I need to have seen the films they talk about before listening?

Murph (to an extent) and Ken were always pretentious, don't think that's changed over the last 15 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I saw there was a christmas episode of the rte radio show. I made it about 20 minutes in, had to give up. The way they were talking about the band you'd swear they're the best band ever. And I usually like the radio show, but this was rubbish.

Yeah I don't get the appeal at all with them. Even their name irritates me. Not a fan of Lankum either (although I understand why people would like them) but I really enjoyed the episode with Radie Peat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Raoul

I enjoyed the episode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I think SC should do a monthly Murph, Ken, Branno show just talking about any topic. They are gas together.

Advertisement