Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frank of Ireland - CH4 10pm All episodes on All4

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

I don't see an issue with people not liking it - my issue is the people who take the view that it's a total failure of a show and that the Gleesons have ruined their careers.

"I hate it, so everyone else does" kind of mentality.

Well I do think it's a failure, I've said that already, but I dont think the Gleesons ruined their careers. It's just a poor show.

I haven't seen that kind of mentality I must say. Just some liking it and others not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I disagree I’d hate to think the backlash will kill it, as some improvements and experience could bring about a good 2nd series.

The lads are international actors though and may be busy

The lads are international actors though

I think this is what killed it for me. The Doofus character didnt work for me at all. He's almost too big to play the role and just came across as a bit insulting.

I realise he wrote the show and character but that's just how it came across.

Also, if it got a 2nd series, great. I wouldn't watch it personally. But there are plenty of shows with multiple series I dont watch and it doesn't bother me and fans of the show enjoy. I dont want it cancelled just cos I don't like it, that would be a silly way to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It's very broad and silly....but I found myself laughing at episode 1!
    Some very funny lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Tried episode 1 and not for me at all. Found it a mess in search of an editor and all just a bit juvenile.

Did exactly what it said on the tin.
    Good cast and a bit of a laugh, people here take themselves too seriously, watch a few edgy box sets based on water cooler chats and think they are f*ckin television critics.

Comedy is subjective. They Know what they like. Haven't seen this yet to give my honest verdict so ill keep an open mind

Deeec wrote: »
    I would imagine the only people who find it funny are teenage boys. It's juvenile humour.

The English seem to like it but it was very bog Irish so it’s not surprising. Few loose horses and potatoes in later episodes and it ticks all the boxes.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Watched all of this yesterday. I think I was expecting too much when I saw the cast tbh cos it was one of the worst shows I've ever seen. Wouldn't have bothered past episode 1 only for it being on demand and the next episode starting straight away. Complete nonsense and not even in a funny kinda way, just terrible.

Some nice shots of Dublin in it though. Always fun trying to work out the locations when watching and Irish show.
    So you watched all of it even though you hated it? Why even bother?

gmisk wrote: »

In fairness there’s nowhere to go and not a pile of new shows. I’ve finished plenty of dirt the past 12 months.

• Advertisement

It was on demand. 1 episode ran straight into another so no need to even pick up the remote. It passed a couple of hours boredom. I was looking forward to watching it after seeing who was in it. I enjoy watching new TV shows. I wanted to see if it might get any better after ep.1.

After watching it, I was able to decide I didnt enjoy it and wouldn't watch a 2nd series. I couldn't have decided that without watching it.

Dunno why I bothered but hope that explains it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They are short and all episodes together about the same length as a film.

dobman88 wrote: »
    It was on demand. 1 episode ran straight into another so no need to even pick up the remote. It passed a couple of hours boredom. I was looking forward to watching it after seeing who was in it. I enjoy watching new TV shows. I wanted to see if it might get any better after ep.1.

After watching it, I was able to decide I didnt enjoy it and wouldn't watch a 2nd series. I couldn't have decided that without watching it.

Dunno why I bothered but hope that explains it for you.
    Ah I get all that.
    I just think life is a bit short (even with a short TV show) to watch all of something when you are not enjoying it.

In fairness there’s nowhere to go and not a pile of new shows. I’ve finished plenty of dirt the past 12 months.
    There is just masses of stuff though, even if not tonnes of new shows.
    I just don't think I would personally watch an entire series of something I hated even if it is short but that's just me.

Ah I get all that.
    I just think life is a bit short (even with a short TV show) to watch all of something when you are not enjoying it.

Tbf I've watched piles of cràp in the last 12 months. It's just not all of them have a thread about em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It's very broad and silly....but I found myself laughing at episode 1!
    Some very funny lines.

I did too :o

I felt it was just Hughie from Love Hate but less drugged up

I'm guessing alot of the stars came on the show as a favour to the Gleesons

Ned deneghy is a show stealer in calm with horses awesome actor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Not for me. I don't find these privileged, over-grown yet under-talented, Irish "messers" in the least bit entertaining. At least their dad used to have a bit of talent before he disappeared up his own hole. It would be interesting to see how far their careers would have gone without daddy's connections.

Oh, I'm in a bitter mood tonight! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭chosen1

Deeec wrote: »
    I would imagine the only people who find it funny are teenage boys. It's juvenile humour.

37 year old teacher here and thought it was the funniest thing I've seen in ages.

Completely unbelievable and farcical but I genuinely laughed out loud a few times during it. My wife on the other hand didn't like it so much.

I've a fairly low brow sense of humour in general though and intellectual comedies aren't my things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Not for me. I don't find these privileged, over-grown yet under-talented, Irish "messers" in the least bit entertaining. At least their dad used to have a bit of talent before he disappeared up his own hole.

Brendan was a class act, still is! His sons are not up to his standard, no need to drag him into the mud with them tbh, his acting is 10x better than theirs

Not for me. I don't find these privileged, over-grown yet under-talented, Irish "messers" in the least bit entertaining. At least their dad used to have a bit of talent before he disappeared up his own hole. It would be interesting to see how far their careers would have gone without daddy's connections.

Oh, I'm in a bitter mood tonight! :pac:

Jaysus

chosen1 wrote: »
    37 year old teacher here and thought it was the funniest thing I've seen in ages.
    Completely unbelievable and farcical but I genuinely laughed out loud a few times during it. My wife on the other hand didn't like it so much.
    I've a fairly low brow sense of humour in general though and intellectual comedies aren't my things.

I don't get the love for Seinfield :o each to their own likes, I do love Mel Brooks spoof comedies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Watched this, and enjoyed it in the most part!
    I didn't realise I was such a weirdo until I read this thread :D How do people get so offended by a show that they don't like :P:P:P

It wont go down as an all time classic, but there was enough momentum in each show to keep me watching. There was one episode where I did think I had enough (the amateur dramatic production) but overall I got out what I expected from looking at the trailers.

Sort of reminded me a little of Greg Davies "Man Down" its so far removed from reality that you just suspend all logic and roll with the punches...Il stay tuned for season 2!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

gucci wrote: »
    I didn't realise I was such a weirdo until I read this thread :D How do people get so offended by a show that they don't like :P:P:P

It wont go down as an all time classic, but there was enough momentum in each show to keep me watching. There was one episode where I did think I had enough (the amateur dramatic production) but overall I got out what I expected from looking at the trailers.

Sort of reminded me a little of Greg Davies "Man Down" its so far removed from reality that you just suspend all logic and roll with the punches...Il stay tuned for season 2!!

No ones "offended" by it. It's not the Brass Eye paedophilia episode. Stating that a comedy series is not very funny isint equatable with offense.

Offended?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,882 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Have no idea what to think of this

Some of the scenes were terrible and felt like it's taking the piss out of itself but some of laughs were great esp the episode in the theatre

For a show with the calibre of actors/actresses I'd give it 5/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I've watched more of it. I like it more than I did initially. Will watch them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I think the confusion over I'm seeing a doctor/Should I get tested was very funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭Xander10

Wheety wrote: »
    I think the confusion over I'm seeing a doctor/Should I get tested was very funny.

You could see that line coming a mile off.

2 episodes and still totally underwhelmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Have watched them all now, and I thought it was fine, not as bad as some say, but not as good as Ash thinks! I don't think it's anywhere near as funny as Man Down though.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭optogirl

Really like it. Much better than I expected. Have had several laugh out louds which is good enough for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ray D'arcy said it is the best Irish comedy since Father Ted :rolleyes:

I enjoyed the first episode....but the second episode was awful...bar the mother and the cute dog...not sure I will watch any more

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I enjoyed the first episode....but the second episode was awful...bar the mother and the cute dog...not sure I will watch any more
    The third episode with the play was good (i watched it earlier today). I cracked up with Aisling O'Sullivan's parts (won't give anything away) and how Nicola was helping the ladies rehearse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I had a look back at the Love/Hate debut thread from 2010. Lots of people saying it was crap. Haven't seen Frank of Ireland, but careful not to fall into the same trap!

First 2 series of Love/hate was garbage, anyone I've recommended the show to I've said skip those you won't miss a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Muahahaha wrote: »

Well it's not. Ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Just saw the second episode. Like the first one the setup is good (funeral of ex girlfriend's mother in the first and missing sex mad mother in the second). And the cast is great on paper. This should be a home run hit.

But dear christ it's awful. Acting is even worse in the second than it was in the first. It misses Pat Shortt and his performance in the first episode was the worst thing he has done in his Television career. As for the writing well each scene is like something a group of students dreamt up in a bedsit while high on the cheapest nastiest stuff the local dealer had.

No one but the Gleesons could have got this made. It's the Gleeson family. It has to be good. However I'd imagine the exec who greenlighted it got sick in the toilet when he eventually saw the preview tape and realized what he'd done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,809 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

First few minutes of it was alright but then it went down hill and I wanted to like it. I got to episode three.
    (Even Sarah Greene won't get me through it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Cant see meself ever watching re-runs of this tho to be honest..............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

touts wrote: »
    Just saw the second episode. Like the first one the setup is good (funeral of ex girlfriend's mother in the first and missing sex mad mother in the second). And the cast is great on paper. This should be a home run hit.

But dear christ it's awful. Acting is even worse in the second than it was in the first. It misses Pat Shortt and his performance in the first episode was the worst thing he has done in his Television career. As for the writing well each scene is like something a group of students dreamt up in a bedsit while high on the cheapest nastiest stuff the local dealer had.

No one but the Gleesons could have got this made. It's the Gleeson family. It has to be good. However I'd imagine the exec who greenlighted it got sick in the toilet when he eventually saw the preview tape and realized what he'd done.

It's like a very dry version of Dumb and Dumber ..........but they're straight actors playing the dumb act straight, most of the set ups just end up looking forced and don't work

• Advertisement

As the series went on Frank became a head wreck so bloody annoying

Seriously WTF Ray D'arsehole is talking out his arse, it is not a "comedy" you would rewatch and still laugh like Fr. Ted

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Seriously WTF Ray D'arsehole is talking out his arse, it is not a "comedy" you would rewatch and still laugh like Fr. Ted
    In fairness, I could watch a lot more of Frank than I could of Ray!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Probably the funniest Irish involved comedy since Father Ted, would even say better than the IT Crowd (albeit they had a longer run). Sharp dialogue, fairly non PC, top class stuff. Heavy hints of Peep Show being a heavy influence on it (Gleeson's character is quite like Jez- failed musician, skint manchild, inexplicably popular with attractive women)

How this got critically panned yet repetitive, basic stuff like Derry Girls is acclaimed I do not know. Really hope it gets a second series, unfortunately it seems to have been overlooked by the wider public. RTE would have done well to buy it and show it in a decent slot.

Probably the funniest Irish involved comedy since Father Ted, would even say better than the IT Crowd (albeit they had a longer run). Sharp dialogue, fairly non PC, top class stuff. Heavy hints of Peep Show being a heavy influence on it (Gleeson's character is quite like Jez- failed musician, skint manchild, inexplicably popular with attractive women)

How this got critically panned yet repetitive, basic stuff like Derry Girls is acclaimed I do not know. Really hope it gets a second series, unfortunately it seems to have been overlooked by the wider public. RTE would have done well to buy it and show it in a decent slot.

Did I watch a different show completely :eek: :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Liked episode one, episode 2 has only one good joke.

Slightly shocked by the negative comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ramasun

I really wanted this to be good but it isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Did I watch a different show completely :eek: :confused:

I watched it expecting it to decline at some stage given the reviews but it was solidly hilarious throughout. The episode with the play was a bit meh, but even it had its moments. It was just such good characterisation- this jobless manchild, obsessed with his belief he is a talented musician, his ignorance to the wider world (not knowing what MMA is, never having heard of podcasts, and so on)

You can tell the writers are themselves fans of good comedy, shades of everything from Peep Show, Alan Partridge, The Office, those type of comedies.

Of course the wider population doesn't watch that type of thing, which is why shyte like the Big Bang Theory is so popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I watched it expecting it to decline at some stage given the reviews but it was solidly hilarious throughout. The episode with the play was a bit meh, but even it had its moments. It was just such good characterisation- this jobless manchild, obsessed with his belief he is a talented musician, his ignorance to the wider world (not knowing what MMA is, never having heard of podcasts, and so on)

You can tell the writers are themselves fans of good comedy, shades of everything from Peep Show, Alan Partridge, The Office, those type of comedies.

Of course the wider population doesn't watch that type of thing, which is why shyte like the Big Bang Theory is so popular.

5 shows mentioned in last few days

Fr Ted
    The IT Crowd
    Peep show (to a lesser extent)
    Alan Partridge
    The office

Are among the best comedies I have seen and I rewatch them quite often.

This is not one of them. In fact I think its probably the worst I have ever seen, can't think of anything I'd say was definitively poorer than this.
    And BTW, I hate the big bang theory too but it's far better than this. National embarrassment levels of bad.

The proof will be whether it gets another series. My money is on no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    5 shows mentioned in last few days

Fr Ted
    The IT Crowd
    Peep show (to a lesser extent)
    Alan Partridge
    The office

Are among the best comedies I have seen and I rewatch them quite often.

This is not one of them. In fact I think its probably the worst I have ever seen, can't think of anything I'd say was definitively poorer than this.
    And BTW, I hate the big bang theory too but it's far better than this. National embarrassment levels of bad.

The proof will be whether it gets another series. My money is on no.

Finally got around to watching it, didn't last until the end of the first episode, it is cringely bad.

Advertisement