Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

To be honest the return of Q seems like a lazy bit of nostalgia to me. Q as a character removes an awful lot of tension from a story when you have an immortal omnipotent who can undo anything that happens in the episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Greyjoy wrote: »
    To be honest the return of Q seems like a lazy bit of nostalgia to me. Q as a character removes an awful lot of tension from a story when you have an immortal omnipotent who can undo anything that happens in the episode.

While it definitely has the potential to be a bit of lazy nostalgia, I don't think it necessarily has to have a negative impact on the story. Arguably two of the best TNG episodes, Tapestry and All Good Things pretty much concluded with Q, in some form, undoing the events of the episodes, but they were still phenomenal episodes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It depends on how it's approached: Season 1 of Picard did heavily hint towards a malaise with the captain, the sense that having hit proper old age, he was now looking back on a life of regrets, missed opportunities and so on. The appearance of Q could open the door to explore more of that: and at the risk of reading way too much into a trailer, the shot of the Stargazer could hint towards this. "Tapestry" is considered a top tier TNG episode for good reason, while returning to that well isn't especially lazy given we're now at a different point of Picard's life.

edit: plus, we can't ignore Stewart's age; if this is Stargazer, then casting a younger man gives Stewart a less intense shoot if he's "gone" for multiple episodes on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Maybe Q will show up in this and Discovery, declare "this is nonsense" and snap his fingers...

.. Picard wakes up back in bed as in S1E1. It was all a bad dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

How many seasons do the cast have in their contracts? If it's only the second season I can see the studio casting a younger Picard and following him on the Stargazer for season three and beyond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Evade wrote: »
    How many seasons do the cast have in their contracts? If it's only the second season I can see the studio casting a younger Picard and following him on the Stargazer for season three and beyond.

Contracts are on a single season basis renewed (or not) for each subsequent season I would guess, think that is always the way it is done nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Evade wrote: »

I can't remember where I came across it, but I seem to remember that it was said somewhere that Picard was envisaged as a limited 3 season run. It may just have been a rumour, or may have changed since season 1 though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Presumably the longevity of the series is, ultimately, at the whim of Stewart's age and when/if he decides to retire. If it continues on it'll either be with Picard: The Younger Days, or a spin off of the main shows other characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,917 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They talked about Jeri Ryan being their second choice if Patrick Stewart turned down the lead role so quite probable it could continue on with her. Though I think the opportunity was wasted after season 1. The Borg plot would have been perfect for Jeri Ryan in the lead role.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Rawr

Stark wrote: »
    They talked about Jeri Ryan being their second choice if Patrick Stewart turned down the lead role so quite probable it could continue on with her. Though I think the opportunity was wasted after season 1. The Borg plot would have been perfect for Jeri Ryan in the lead role.

I felt that Jeri Ryan was one of the good things with Picard. Seven seemed to have matured into a proper human, and given the time since Voyager that sort of made sense. Making her into a sort of action hero was a bit cringe, but there were some genuinely good moments, like when she sort of became a Borg Queen. (A scene that delighted, and annoyed in equal measure when they immediately flushed all of the Borg out of the cube).

The tacked-on lesbian romance at the end was a bit of a disservice to her character, but in a weird way sort of mirrors what they did with her and Chakotay at the end of Voyager. I guess she'll always be condemned to experience last-minute end of season love-interests :P

• Advertisement

Jerri Ryan makes sense, I guess we'll see how much of Season 1 migrates to the second. I liked the crew of La Sirena way more than Discovery (in that they actually had personalities to have opinions about in the first place), but wouldn't weep either if they weren't to return. Knowing serialised TV it's likely/possible though they have multi-season contracts.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Jerri Ryan makes sense, I guess we'll see how much of Season 1 migrates to the second. I liked the crew of La Sirena way more than Discovery (in that they actually had personalities to have opinions about in the first place), but wouldn't weep either if they weren't to return. Knowing serialised TV it's likely/possible though they have multi-season contracts.

I didn't mind most of La Sirena myself. Wouldn't mind if they dropped Dr. Agnes back at the Daystrom Institute. Never really warmed up to her and they sort of glossed over her murder of Maddox at little too damn quickly.

That all said...wouldn't mind if they dropped any of them...not that invested yet.

Rawr wrote: »
    The tacked-on lesbian romance at the end was a bit of a disservice to her character, but in a weird way sort of mirrors what they did with her and Chakotay at the end of Voyager. I guess she'll always be condemned to experience last-minute end of season love-interests :P

In some ways the Chakotay thing was almost like a young unsure of herself lesbian going through the motions. It had total "homework assignment" chemistry all over it. "Oh this is what human women do. I guess I also need to go on dates with men in order to fit in".

There was some speculation that herself and that wan who ripped out Ichev's eye were lovers before she was betrayed.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Stark wrote: »
    In some ways the Chakotay thing was almost like a young unsure of herself lesbian going through the motions. It had total "homework assignment" chemistry all over it. "Oh this is what human women do. I guess I also need to go on dates with men in order to fit in".

There was some speculation that herself and that wan who ripped out Ichev's eye were lovers before she was betrayed.

Quite possible. My main gripe is that despite Seven being a good example of a character with a long development arc, they sort of tack-on romance as an after thought. She deserves better than that I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Maybe Q can fix that.

Unfortunately I reckon that would take more than omnipotence!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Will Q have aged? Will they address it?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Rawr wrote: »
    Quite possible. My main gripe is that despite Seven being a good example of a character with a long development arc, they sort of tack-on romance as an after thought. She deserves better than that I feel.
    Ach. They had a load of ideas and materials for future Voyager episodes that got left in the writing room. The Chakotay romance was one of those things that should have stayed there too, but instead they tried to shoehorn it in at the end.
    Be nice to see it addressed though, without going over the top. Chakotay would definitely not be in Starfleet and would be involved in some form of resistance/defence force like Seven. They could bring him in for a cameo, and rather than a big soppy, "Oh it's my ex!" scene, Seven can just say that after Voyager returned home they went their separate ways and that was that.
    Will Q have aged? Will they address it?
    Oh definitely, and it'll be as obvious as, "Look how *old* you've gotten Jean-Luc. Aging has always fascinated me. Do you think I've done a good job of making myself look old?".
    Maybe even a naff bit of CGI where young Q appears at first, then snaps his fingers and he's old. Obvious and corny, but don't say you wouldn't love it. :D

For a more unexpected twist, I'd love to see more of DeLancie in a regular role, so it would be cool if he was allowed to "retire" from the Q and they made him mortal and he asked to be sent to Picard and made old. They could say that after the suicide of Q, the continuum changed their minds and started allowing Q to leave.
    I know they did this briefly in TNG, but making Picard a buddy duo with a mortal Q would be a lot of fun. They're definitely not going to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Maybe they'll use some of that creepy CGI de-ageing they had for Data on him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Acosta

Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q

Kurtzman and about 200 writers and producers are currently working on doing just that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q
    Please dont ruin Q

dont worry, he will be treated as well as Seven of Nine was

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

silverharp wrote: »
    dont worry, he will be treated as well as Seven of Nine was

If the must have Q shoot up a place for reasons I hope they at least have the courtesy to have him conjure up some Napoleonic aliens to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Q is ready to harass everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭corkie

GM228 wrote: »
    Q is ready to harass everyone!

For convenience: -

He's Back! Shoutout to Reddit by "Q" himself, Mr. John de Lancie! - Edit 2

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

corkie wrote: »
    For convenience: -

He's Back! Shoutout to Reddit by "Q" himself, Mr. John de Lancie! - Edit 2

Good to see that John de Lancie still has it. It would take a special kind of stupid to ruin a Q done by him. He's just a cheeky b*stard who likes to mess about with Starfleet, can't be too hard for them. However that all said..."a special kind of stupid" is something this production company excel at...so there's some danger.

Slightly disappointed he didn't go "Full Q" on that Vaccine message at the end, it could have been fun.

Q: "Foolish humans. To think that small metal injection was all you needed to extend your little mortal lives. Your micro-brains simply can't grasp concepts so grand as that. Perhaps Humanity is the Covid that the Galaxy needs to be inoculated from? The trial never ended....go ahead....get your vaccination and prove us wrong (ascends on throne up away from the set)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

He'd have fun trying to get a rise from Seven

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

I suspect the mention of Frakes is as likely a reference to his status as director of an episode as anything else (and would make sense to have a TNG alum direct such an iconic character like Q anyway)

The passing mention that they were shooting 2 seasons back-to-back was interesting; if true it makes sense - even if it's a little morbid, in a pragmatic sort of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,351 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,351 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Advertisement