Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrapbooks

Options
  • 26-09-2005 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

I never "got" the idea of scrapbooking and all that.

Can someone explain to me what the fascination with it is? And what the whole point of it is?

I heard of loads of people doing it, but never really took the time to understand why.

If ya can help, i'd love to hear from those that do it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

as far as i know art colleges use versions of scrapbooks as a sort of visual diary of how you come up with your ideas for your main pieces (eg they want to know how deeply you've thought about the subject).
    i'v never kept one myself as i prefer just jumping straight into the main picture/ piece, they can be really nice though if you put some time and effort into them.

say if you liked dogs it would be really nice to have loads of sketches of dogs/ puppies/ samples of fabric similiar in texture to their hair/ teeth, maybe some wool/ photos, anything really to do with dogs.

or it might even be nice to do one as a present for someone else, eg for a 21st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

hmmmmm

ok thanks for the explanation! :)

are you thinking of starting one yourself? id like to if i had the time.

I'm kinda hummin' and hawin' about it. I dont know whether to start one and make a mess or just resign myself to not "getting" it and not being able to do one properly.

Women eh!

you could run a google on it for whatever subject theme your interested in just to get ideas for layouts etc. don't make it too big, short and sweet and with a simple theme to start off on(5/6pages)? and then maybe do a more detailed/ longer one (say 20pages)

if you picked something meaningful for yourself you'd probably be more likely to commit yourself to finishing it (eg baby photos/ etc/ cherished relatives/ pets/ past christmas's).

sure it's the effort that counts anyhow! :)

iv always thought a visual diary as oppossed to a written one would be more interesting to look back on, and possibly interesting to notice reoccurent moods/ themes etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

There's a big craze at the moment in the States with women in their late 20's- 30's and scrapbooks. They even have scrapbook clubs!! They'd meet once a week and discuss their scrappings?! What they'd put in it would be anything...a picture that reminds them of that day, newspaper cuttings, reciepts, bits of material, anything.

Suppose it could be some form of therapy....

Hmmm. I think i've already done one without knowing.

I put a load of poetry, snippets from love letters, photos, sayings, cinema tickets, wrote stuff in calligraphy, and glittery/shiney thinks into a kind of book for my partner when we lived at different ends of the country. He knows i'm pretty creative and used love getting stuff sent up when i did them in calligraphy, so i chanced my arm with something a bit different for him and I ended up with what i described above ^^^.

That sounds like what you've all described doesnt it??

that sounds like you did actually make a scrapbook Bamboozled, sounds really nice too the mixture of poetry/photos and art :).

wouldn't it be lovely to recieve something like that on valentine's day?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Bamboozled wrote:
    Hmmm. I think i've already done one without knowing.

I put a load of poetry, snippets from love letters, photos, sayings, cinema tickets, wrote stuff in calligraphy, and glittery/shiney thinks into a kind of book for my partner when we lived at different ends of the country. He knows i'm pretty creative and used love getting stuff sent up when i did them in calligraphy, so i chanced my arm with something a bit different for him and I ended up with what i described above ^^^.

That sounds like what you've all described doesnt it??

But its still gonna be individual to the person. No one else can make the same thing. I'd love something personal like that. That's a great present!!

He seemed to enjoy it anyway. So did I - well I enjoyed having something to do and looking back over the years we had been together. I think he enjoyed it more because it was for no reason, rather than for an "occasion" like Valentines.

At least I have a clue now. Might try something again in the future now i know. Thanks for all your help. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Scrapbooking is a way of preserving memories - I am a keen scrapper as are a few gals now in Ireland we have even had our first crop(scrapping get together) & we have 3 online shops over here that sell scrapping supplies - I scrap in 12x12 but plan to do some 8x8's soon - the idea is to make your memories last forever - we use supplies that are acid & lignin free so that the photos will not fade or become yellow & brittle.

FirstIrishCropLO1.jpg
    FirstIrishCropLO2.jpg
    FirstKissLO.jpg
    PepeLePew.jpg
    FayeShaunLO.jpg
    CatchoftheDayLO.jpg
    proudlo.jpg
    BeautytheBeastLO.jpg

These are just a few of my scrapping Layouts. I have listed 2 of the shops in Ireland & craft supplies is also a chat forum.

If you have any questions please let me know & I will attempt to give you answers.

Hugs

Faye

http://www.celticscrappers.com/
    http://www.craftsupplies.ie/shop/chat/index.php

the last one is really cute Bond-007! :)

Wow.

Thats the sort of thing... but no-where near as pretty or neat as yours :D

Thanks for the info.

I might give it a go after looking around the web. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

snorlax wrote:
    as far as i know art colleges use versions of scrapbooks as a sort of visual diary of how you come up with your ideas for your main pieces (eg they want to know how deeply you've thought about the subject).
    i'v never kept one myself as i prefer just jumping straight into the main picture/ piece, they can be really nice though if you put some time and effort into them.....

When I was working in Design I used to keep scrapbooks of images, sketches and photos of any visual stuff that I liked. It just saved a lot of time when it came to a project. I'd have a ready library of things I liked rather than trying to start a fresh every time. It was particularly handy when you hit a dry spell and couldn't get the creative juices flowing. Especially if you some deadline to meet.

I was just looking at ditching them today. While its nostalgic to look over them, they are really just clutter now. If you don't use them, or display them, you should ditch them.

they're nice to keep as souvenirs though, iv kept most of my old art work as im abit of a hoarder, and it's really nice to look back and see what i was doing a few years back and see how my technique has changed/ improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 addie

Bond, I love your scrapbook samples!!! As of this moment, I resolve to begin keeping a scrapbook. I've never been very good at keeping a diary, but I think a scrapbook would be a lovely, more abstract way to record events and store ideas, as well as somewhere to glue all those little bits and pieces I find or create. I'm so excited about having a new nerdy hobby!

Oh, hope you guys understand that when I say "nerdy" I mean it as a good thing. I'm a total nerd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Have been meaning to get into scrap booking for the past few years. Bond - you have totally inspired me, am going to start this weekend!

You can always pm me if you want further info or advice.

Hugs

Faye
    aka Mrs BOND

Bond i'm afraid we're pretty strict here about advertising other forums etc, seen as you've posted that link twice, once is enough as anyone who's interested will see it the first time around. please give the charter a bit of a read it might help clarify the rules.

Sorry! My bad. Will not happen again.

• Advertisement

no bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Plastic Scouser

Hi Mrs BOND, or anyone else who knows....

I'd be interested in giving this a go, and I was wondering, do you buy a notebook or photo album to form the basis of your scrapbook, or do you construct your own (and if so, how do you go about it?)

good look with that Plastic Scouser, it sounds interesting and a bit of fun anyway:).
    i'm sure Bond will help you out when she comes on!

Hi Mrs BOND, or anyone else who knows....

I'd be interested in giving this a go, and I was wondering, do you buy a notebook or photo album to form the basis of your scrapbook, or do you construct your own (and if so, how do you go about it?)

Hiya,

I keep my work in proper scrapbooks - I buy mine from http://www.celticscrappers.com/Albums Kate has a nice selection I have the All My Memories Urban Chic 12" x 12" Album one (LOVE IT!) & the Kolette for Colorbok Brown Embellished Scrapbook Album - the tag reads reminisce & is the one I use for my brothers memory album.

You can also get wire bound note books the trouble with these is you cant really do lumpy bumby LOs - & you can not move the order of the LOs once you have stuck them in - If you can understand me??

If you want more info please feel free to pm me anytime :)

Hugs

Faye

aka Mrs Bond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Plastic Scouser

Thank you! The books look lovely, I'm going to get myself one and am looking forward to giving it a go. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Reef

I got into scrapbooking awhile back too. I get alot of stuff in cork art supplies- embellishments, paper etc. They've fab transparent patterned paper and ethnic/handmade paper that works great as background sheets on your layouts. They've a great online shop where you can view all the items aswell which is pretty handy.

Definitely bite the bullet and take it up, you won't regret it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Charis

Wow, I am thrilled to see people who are scrapbooking out there. Does anyone know of clubs? I just met up with an American friend for my first "crop" this weekend. I think that is the right term. I had loads of fun and I got 8 pages of my son's albumn done. There is something on this weekend on Sun. at Jury's in Ballsbridge for scrapbooking I believe. If anyone is interested in more info I will check the email my friend sent me. Looking is free but classes cost.

There are a group of us on another website that meet up & have crops. A couple of the ladies have online craft stores & bring goodies for us to drool over & buy - we have had 2 weekend crops so far & they were BRILLIANT - All we paid for was food etc & the stash we NEEDED!!!!!!

I admit it I am totally addicted to scrapping & always need new stash. I have suffered with aggraphobia for the past couple of years & the crops were the first time in 2 years that I left the house without my husband :) PM me if you would like more details etc.

Hugs

Faye
    aka Mrs Bond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Calluna

Faesy you better watch yourself!

Beware of the addictive nature of scrapping, all you potential scrappers. I have now about 10 shoeboxes full of 'stash' from american scrap sites and other bits and pieces I've picked up. And how many scrapbook pages? - about 4! Pathetic, but I have great intentions.

Might be a good idea to start by buying a small kit with restricted number of things that can be done as you can get overawed by it all! Also can get quite attached to your stash and fancy papers!! and not want to cut them up, even if it is for the greater good. Am currently working on a scrapbook for my 1 year old daughter, my wedding/honeymoon and other stuff like school/college days, holidays etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Charis

calluna,

I met up with a friend who introduced me to an all day "crop". I am a slow scrapper but I actually managed to get 8 pages completed! I agree with you on collecting stuff and not getting very far. I hope to start my wedding album and I have been married for almost 9 years! Good luck getting some pages done!

Advertisement