Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best tool to use for this job?

• 19-06-2019 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi All,

I have an issue where the wooden floor in an apartment is right up against the window (see attached photo) and has no room to expand and the floor buckles. The type of windows installed in the apartment causes a lot of condensation in the winter and it makes a mess of the floor and makes opening doors difficult! I tried using a multi tool to cut half inch gap but turns out there is an aluminum lip on the window slightly below the floor surface and my chisel was wide!
    My question is that it looks like I need to widen the gap to an inch but I went thru 3 multi tool blades doing the current job! Is there a better way or tool to do this job?

2nd question, once gap is created should I fill it with some sort of silicon or is there a "removable" drain I could fit and empty when required?

Thanks for any "helpful" advice :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

helpful or not, the window is not the cause of the condensation.

The alu "lip" is part of the window frame.

Is it all window or is there a sliding door on the rhs on the picture?
    I would cut it back inside the face of the alu frame and fit a piece of half saddle board all the way along, iff no door

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 KG_SouthTipp

Thanks for the reply, no door on that section. There is a pillar and then a double doors which has a similar issue but not as bad

• Registered Users Posts: 42 KG_SouthTipp

helpful or not, the window is not the cause of the condensation.

The alu "lip" is part of the window frame.

Is it all window or is there a sliding door on the rhs on the picture?
    I would cut it back inside the face of the alu frame and fit a piece of half saddle board all the way along, iff no door

What is causing the condensation? I had assumed the windows were not insulated very well?

Also what would the saddle board do?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What angle are you holding the multi-tool at? What shape is the blade? I found the trick with a multi-tool is to only cut a very thin strip at a time. If you use the whole width of the blade it really slows down.

Regarding the best tool, a track saw with a very carefully set depth stop would do it, as long as you come out far enough that it doesn't foul the window frame.

Once you can see what you're working with, try and work out how the window is supposed to drain condensation and design something around that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What is causing the condensation? I had assumed the windows were not insulated very well?

Also what would the saddle board do?
    Thanks

You and the other occupants: cooking, washing, drying, breathing, showering, etc all cause condensation so you have inadequate ventilation.

As Lumen said, a track saw would work really well.
    The saddle board would be fixed, at the same level as floor, near the window and the cut board would be hidden underneath with plenty room to move.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
Advertisement