Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of repairing/replacing chimney?

Options
  • 30-10-2018 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Below is what the surveyor has said is wrong with the chimney on our house, would really appreciate some advice and prices of repair/replacing.

The chimney flue pots are cracked. The stack is also cracked. The stack must be examined by a chimney expert such as Action Chimney and made good. It may be the case that the chimney has a fire at some stage. The stack needs work and it is likely that it will need to be removed to a level below the ridge line and re-built. It will need to be examined by a CCTV test by an expert such as action chimney.

The flue does not have a cowl fitted to prevent birds accessing the flues. One should be fitted to each flue. The flue was noted to be dirty and should be cleaned. In our opinion the chimney flue in the kitchen should be blocked off, with just a flue serving the sitting room. The sitting room fire back is well worn and should be replaced.

They have recommended we replace the chimney so would be really interested to see what others have paid for this service, we are located in Kildare.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Got a similar job done last year. Chimney stack breached just above fireplace in sitting room which meant they had to break open the wall to get access to fix it.
    Paid €4800. Scaffolding was extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 anna_okeeffe92

Perfect thank you very much. Can you remember how much the scaffolding was?

It was €1,200 for 4 days. Our adjoining neighbour was having the same work done on his chimney so we split the cost of the scaffolding so that was €600. We each paid €4,800 for the chimney work.
    We also had other work done on the house last year so have been able to claim the Home Renovation Incentive payment too. Have a look at that and see will you be eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bee71

Hi there where did you find someone to fix your chimney?? I have paid for numerous ‘experts’ and surveys and got prices between 6k -13k ..one was literally double the others..my biggest problem is getting them to turn up! How do you know if you are getting a quality job done and it’s not some cowboy? It seems they’re all happy to charge hundreds for surveys then tell you there’s a 2 month waiting list for scaffolding companies then eleven months later my chimneys are still leaking and I cannot get these professionals to show up?? Is there a massive national shortage of chimney repair experts? I cannot get one. I live in Dublin. City. A terrace. Im thinking if I lived in a country bungalow I would not have this problem. Why do they come and quote for a job they don’t want to do? If you can tell me which company you hired for your job I’d be most grateful. Thank you.

@Bee71 I've sent you a PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

Bee71 wrote:
    Hi there where did you find someone to fix your chimney?? I have paid for numerous ‘experts’ and surveys and got prices between 6k -13k ..one was literally double the others..my biggest problem is getting them to turn up! How do you know if you are getting a quality job done and it’s not some cowboy? It seems they’re all happy to charge hundreds for surveys then tell you there’s a 2 month waiting list for scaffolding companies then eleven months later my chimneys are still leaking and I cannot get these professionals to show up?? Is there a massive national shortage of chimney repair experts? I cannot get one. I live in Dublin. City. A terrace. Im thinking if I lived in a country bungalow I would not have this problem. Why do they come and quote for a job they don’t want to do? If you can tell me which company you hired for your job I’d be most grateful. Thank you.

Hi, I have similar problem is that price for relining the chimney to the top with flue liners?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bee71

Hi yes two chimneys relined, new flues. There is dampness on upstairs chimney breasts. I’ve had a couple of opinions and surveys ..been told to knock them and rebuild...repair them which I would prefer but I don’t understand how one company charges almost double the other I was expecting quotes within 1k of each other. Only the company that suggested rebuilding would guarantee the chimney breasts wouldn’t be wet anymore. A lot of chimney companies do resining but not all repair problems that mean there’s water coming into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

About five years back, my family and I moved to a previously unoccupied house in Galway and asked the man who had built and sold us the house to fit various items at our expense. One of the items he suggested and subsequently fitted was an inset stove from a leading manufacturer.

A couple of years later, a neighbour across the way whose house was built by the same man as ours had to have his chimney rebuilt. As we had hairline cracks and damp spots on our bedroom wall, I asked the comapny who did the neighour's rebuild to look at our chimney. Our chimney had indeed cracked and was repaired at a cost of around E7K which our insurance company paid.

Now we appear to have another external crack a couple of inches above the roof line. While have not yet had a contractor confirm the seriousness - if any - of the potential crack, am worried what will happen if the house does indeed need a second expensive chimney rebuild.

Be great if anyone could give me some pointers re the following:

1) Supposing another expensive rebuild is needed, will the insurance co. pay out?

2) While I know they will shove up their premiums, will they continue to cover us afterwards or will our house be considered uninsurable?

3) Could we consider taking legal action against the builder who built and sold us the house for recommending and fitting such an obviously unsuitable stove?

Thanks in advance for any input!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dodgers32

Hi Bee71 - Were you able to find someone to complete your chimney repairs? I need to get some work to repair a cracked and leaning chimney so any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sdm

Did anyone just re seal & plaster the crown of the chimney and the chimney stack. I'm in the same boat boat but I'm having the resealing done firstly to see how long it will last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

sdm wrote: »
    Did anyone just re seal & plaster the crown of the chimney and the chimney stack. I'm in the same boat boat but I'm having the resealing done firstly to see how long it will last.

Ball park how much were you quoted for the costs involved?

Advertisement