Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Called for an interview after accepting another job

Options
  • 21-06-2019 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I was in a school subbing all year. Just before Easter I was told that they had no hours for me next year and I asked the principal could I use them as a referee for job applications. I applied for a lot of jobs. A few weeks ago the school I was subbing in offered me full 22 hrs for next year - I obviously was delighted and accepted this. Contract and everything is signed.

I got a call to come interview for a job I had applied for when I thought I had nothing for next year. I would much prefer to work in this other school as it's back home when the original school is in Dublin.

My issue is that I put the principal of my current school down as a reference as I thought I was finished there. Now I have accepted a job at the school, I do not think it would look good if other schools were ringing. I am not sure how to approach this - if I say at the interview that I want to use a different referee it comes across as a huge red flag for them. However, I can't contact my principal saying I am considering other options and will they still give me a good reference. I do not feel the principal would be understanding of me wanting to be closer to home....

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I was in a school subbing all year. Just before Easter I was told that they had no hours for me next year and I asked the principal could I use them as a referee for job applications. I applied for a lot of jobs. A few weeks ago the school I was subbing in offered me full 22 hrs for next year - I obviously was delighted and accepted this. Contract and everything is signed.

I got a call to come interview for a job I had applied for when I thought I had nothing for next year. I would much prefer to work in this other school as it's back home when the original school is in Dublin.

My issue is that I put the principal of my current school down as a reference as I thought I was finished there. Now I have accepted a job at the school, I do not think it would look good if other schools were ringing. I am not sure how to approach this - if I say at the interview that I want to use a different referee it comes across as a huge red flag for them. However, I can't contact my principal saying I am considering other options and will they still give me a good reference. I do not feel the principal would be understanding of me wanting to be closer to home....

Any advice?

Go for the interview and see what happens. AFAIK referees are only contacted for the chosen candidate otherwise some principals would never be off the phone with the amount of job applications they receive.

Think of yourself regarding your employment - congratulations on the 22 hours - it's a great relief but doesn't stop you looking elsewhere. Just think - in 24 months time - you could be applying for CID in a place you don't really want to be and having to start all over again at home in x years where if you get this job - you will be CIDed in your home place in the same time.

I'm sure your principal would understand that.

Anyway look after number one, attend interview and see if you have a decision to make. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Agree with mtoutlemonde. Go and do the interview. You could mention that you've been given hours for next year in your current school but that you'd rather move home, and hope that if they call your current principal, they'll understand if he/she is a bit unhappy.

In all probability, he/she will understand your position perfectly. It might actually be better to tell your current principal. You've already signed your contract, so you're relatively safe there anyway, but he/she is less likely to be complimentary if they get a phone call asking about you when they thought you'd be sticking around next year. Giving a bit of warning is no harm, and you can assure him/her that you won't be applying for any other jobs, unless they're at 'home' (wherever that is).

At the end of the day, you have to look after yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

It's not actually true that they only ring for references of the selected candidate. In fact once short listing is done they will often ring and get feedback from at least one reference for all interviewees especially if it's a real job with no internal candidate.
    To the OP if your Principal is a fair person they will understand. Most people want to eventually get jobs close to home. You haven't done anything wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 teacher2019

Thanks for the advice! I don't feel like I have done anything wrong, but I really do not think my principal would be reasonable....just judging that on other peoples experiences in the school.

Basically is there any way of asking to change referees that won't be weird - or am I just shooting myself in the foot?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Definitely don't change the referee. Do a brilliant interview. I am sorry to hear your Principal is like that. Make sure to let them know in the interview that you had no hours but now have been offered a full job. Tell them your preference is to return home. If your Principal gives a bad reference they will see through it. Why would he offer you a job if you were that bad?
    Your integrity will stand to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

you have signed a contract - does that mean nothing to you? I think you should forget about this new interview and stick with the job you very happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 teacher2019

db wrote: »
    you have signed a contract - does that mean nothing to you? I think you should forget about this new interview and stick with the job you very happy with.

People leave jobs all the time for better opportunities? I am very aware of my rights, and having signed a contract does not mean I am tied to that job. What are notice periods for? Also the contract doesn't start until Sept 1.

Just to clarify, I would much prefer the job I would be interviewing for. It's a low chance I'll even get it, but my goal is to get a job back home in Munster, not stay in Dublin. Why would I pass up a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

If your principal is toxic enough to not understand people wanting to move to their home area, I would want out of there fast.

Good luck with the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If, as you imply, your principle is ‘one of those principles’, then take the opportunity to not be on their staff.

They can hardly give you a bad reference after giving you a full contract now, can they..?

;)

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Thanks for the advice! I don't feel like I have done anything wrong, but I really do not think my principal would be reasonable....just judging that on other peoples experiences in the school.

Basically is there any way of asking to change referees that won't be weird - or am I just shooting myself in the foot?

If you're upfront in the interview and tell them your predicament (been offered a job already but really want to move home ) then they might suss out if your principal is being difficult.

Even give them a reference of your old principal where you went to school yourself. Surely you haven't gone off the rails that much since then :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

People leave jobs all the time for better opportunities? I am very aware of my rights, and having signed a contract does not mean I am tied to that job. What are notice periods for? Also the contract doesn't start until Sept 1.

Just to clarify, I would much prefer the job I would be interviewing for. It's a low chance I'll even get it, but my goal is to get a job back home in Munster, not stay in Dublin. Why would I pass up a chance?

I'm speaking from experience having accepted a job when I was starting out and then changed my mind. it set me back at least 5 years in my career but that was private sector so it may be different.

Advertisement