Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valencia Marathon 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I'll see who has signed up before committing
    This is on Friday evening

Want to join this club run on Strava? https://strava.app.link/zaycJ0OO3R

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭terminator74

Itziger wrote: »
    Yeah, Tyris on Tap it's called. As for immediate drinks....... I don't know. Do people want to meet at 1 or so for a couple? I can do a bit of research on places near the finish.

I'd be happy to meet up with fellow Boardies for a scoop in the evening. Tyris on Tap place looks great. Most likely will chill out and recover for a few hours after race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I'd be happy to meet up with fellow Boardies for a scoop in the evening. Tyris on Tap place looks great. Most likely will chill out and recover for a few hours after race.

The more I think of it, the more I realise that a 1pm gig would be difficult. It would have to be a simple, local bar (which is fine and all) cos the majority of places won't be open at that time and those that will be starting up will be more restos than bars.....

Tyris on Tap at 7pm then??

Earlier on I might do a bit of hollering at the 2.59 candidates if I can identify ye. Might head down towards the bull ring or something, about 4k from the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Tyris on Tap at 7pm then??

Perfect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 goodtiming

I'm in if I can still walk on Sunday evening

• Advertisement

So how are ye all feeling with a week to go? Fingers crossed the weather should be grand. Anyone else doing the 10k? Diablo?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

So how are ye all feeling with a week to go? Fingers crossed the weather should be grand. Anyone else doing the 10k? Diablo?

I have about 200 little niggles at this stage but I reckon it's mostly psychological. The legs are still feeling fairly tired, but I'm told that's normal enough with this Hansons plan. Other than that, I'm just looking forward to getting it done. Think I've prepared about as well as I possibly could have, but you know how these things can go on the day.

Hope everybody else is in decent shape.

Not a great week of training last week and missed the weekend run due to idiotically believing I would get out after my 5 year old's birthday party. Not a hope. I was in bed by 9. All the kids that were afraid of me last year ran me ragged this year.

Taper off this week. I'm getting tetchy and feeling like a coiled spring so that's got to be a good thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭terminator74

have felt better tbh. having a bit of arch tenderness. the last 4 weeks since DCM training run have not felt great at all. But will try put that think aside for the week and try get the head right for the day. looking forward to getting it over with.

Early weather forecast on YR is 10 degrees, partially cloudy between 07:00-13:00.

I'm much the same as everyone else it seems,

A load of little niggles but especially an issue with my left shin/ankle.
    It started off feeling like simple shin splints but now I'm more worried as it's a bit lower down near the ankle.

I'm probably over analysing it as the race is so close....hopefully it'll be eased by Sunday.

I feel like I was in much better shape a month ago.

• Advertisement

I have about 200 little niggles at this stage but I reckon it's mostly psychological. The legs are still feeling fairly tired, but I'm told that's normal enough with this Hansons plan. Other than that, I'm just looking forward to getting it done. Think I've prepared about as well as I possibly could have, but you know how these things can go on the day.

Hope everybody else is in decent shape.

FS, I'm always getting you two mixed up. So is the bro doing the Full or the 10k like last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

FS, I'm always getting you two mixed up. So is the bro doing the Full or the 10k like last year?

He's in for the main event this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

I'm fully recovered from my ultra. Ready for action. Looking forward to meeting you lads.

ISOP wrote: »
    I'm fully recovered from my ultra. Ready for action. Looking forward to meeting you lads.

Jesus I feel like such a whinger giving out about my dodgy shinsplints:o:)

He's in for the main event this year.

He needs to add himself to the table then!!

BIB|Name|PB|Goal
    18389|terminator74|03:18:00|02:59:59
    22860|Scampwolf|03:51:00|03:49:59
    18980|and still ricky villa|03:09:00|02:59:59
    14062|Goodtiming|N/A|04:15:00
    03005|Diablo Verde|03:06:16|02:59:59
    18370|MrMacPhisto|2:47:17|TBD

Bowing to pressure from the People's Republic....

I was planning on aiming for <2:45 but a niggle has surfaced in last few weeks. So I initially cut out sessions, but then needed rest. 8 days off so far but things are beginning to settle. Will do a wee test run tomorrow hopefully. If that goes well, I will set a target later in the week. Needless to say, it won't be <2:45. If things go very well, I have a Valencia PB of 2:52:47 to aim for but I will be happy to run the distance and not worry about time etc.

Looking forward to the beer either way :)

I'm booked on the 5pm train back to Madrid on Sunday so will raise a few tins in your collective honours

It looks like it could be up to 22degs and sunny on Sunday....according to accuweather anyway.

That'll be a bit of a jolt to the system after the last couple of weeks here.

I was reading about the bag drop....You can use your own bag but it has to have a sticker you pick up at the expo.

Does anyone know if there's a limit to size?.....I'm just deciding which bag to bring for it.

goodtiming wrote: »
    It looks like it could be up to 22degs and sunny on Sunday....according to accuweather anyway.

That'll be a bit of a jolt to the system after the last couple of weeks here.

I was reading about the bag drop....You can use your own bag but it has to have a sticker you pick up at the expo.

Does anyone know if there's a limit to size?.....I'm just deciding which bag to bring for it.

It won't be 22 degrees at 0830-1300. Yr.no is saying 19degrees max and prob 12-16 degrees during the race.

No limit of bag size that I recall. It is all very well organised.

No limit of bag size that I recall. It is all very well organised.

Thanks for that....I was worried about how much stuff I'd need before I got back to the airb&b

• Advertisement

Thanks for that....I was worried about how much stuff I'd need before I got back to the airb&b

You won't need too much. I always try to have a couple of dry tops, one long sleeve. As the temps will be warming up you'll need less than normal. But as MacPhisto says, it won't be near 22 for the race. As ever, the slower buggers get the worst of the temps though!

Also, you'll get some oranges/protein bar/drink at the end to keep you going.

You get a big bag of oranges!
    The goodie bag is pretty well stocked

Beats the mustard and tooth paste I got in the goodie bag at the end of DCM one year

Beats the mustard and tooth paste I got in the goodie bag at the end of DCM one year

Good Lord!:eek: What were they thinking?
    But as MacPhisto says, it won't be near 22 for the race. As ever, the slower buggers get the worst of the temps though!

:o That's me!!!! :o

Good Lord!:eek: What were they thinking?

:o That's me!!!! :o

90% of your race will be in reasonable conditions. Training through an Irish summer and fairly mild autumn should have you well trained for the predicted temps. I wouldn't worry about it all. Enjoy the race :D The tunnel of people will get you through the last few warm kms.

Wait until you see how many layers of clothing the locals will be wearing. Some of them will be equipped enough for a polar expedition.

The oranges/satsumas are delicious, but in 2014 they gave us around 3 kilos of them :D At least the bag is smaller now. Haven't tried the post race Radler beer yet, maybe this year....

Here's a live webcam from the centre if anyone wants to keep an eye on the weather.

https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/spain/valencia/plaza-ayuntamiento.html

On the train from Barcelona; the number of gaunt, sunken checked fellas with Brooks runners is amusing...... All sub 3s I'd say and then some. Weather looks good, just hoping the breeze doesn't get up.

Yes, I'm looking forward to putting weight back on when this is over. Nothing fits.
    It's a cool, calm morning here this morning. Sunny but I still need a hoodie

Yes, I'm looking forward to putting weight back on when this is over. Nothing fits.
    It's a cool, calm morning here this morning. Sunny but I still need a hoodie

Temperature wise it's going to be near perfect. Best of luck to all. I'll be thinking of you as I'm tucking into brekkie at about 10 o clock tomorrow.

Expo is mental. Looks like everyone turned up at the same time. And brought their families

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

touch and go whether I'll toe the line in the morning, touch of a sore throat and a had dodgy stomach last night for a few hours. Not bad now, so hopefully will make it

Advertisement