Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valencia Marathon 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

"Habrá prácticos para finalizar la carrera en tiempos de 3h:00, 3h:15 3h:30, 3h:45, 4h:00h, 4h:15, 4h:30 y 5h:00 horas."

That's from the website. They seem to be the pacers' times but maybe itziger can confirm because I've never seen 'prácticos" used to mean pacers.
    Me neither m8 but then again when I lived in Valencia (1990-99) I couldn't run for the bus never mind a marathon! Maybe it's a new term
    While I wouldn't be 100% confident, they do take their running fairly seriously and the year I first ran it and was going for a 3.10 (finished with 3.12.5x) I briefly saw the 3.15 pacers at one stage and when I pushed on I never saw them again. They obviously didn't do 3.13 or anything less and I'm guessing would have been on the money. This ridiculous habit of pacers starting together or say a 4.00 lad starting a few rows in front of the 3.30 balloons, I just don't get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I found this in last year's results after a bit of Google image searching.
    This is from a 3:15 pacer

465654.GIF

I started breaking down the splits but look at the half time! That's a big negative split or am I reading this wrong

His finish time is 3:16:49 (Gun) and 3:14:53 (Chip)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

looks like 23 minutes per 5k, apart from the first 5k which I presume was congested.
    I don't know what the other columns are?

Just looked at the results page again. The Category is the average time for the age group, and the same for the Gender.
    Results are here
    https://www.valenciaciudaddelrunning.com/en/marathon/2017-marathon-ranking/

This lad's number is 20250

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

A buddy who was due to run Valencia cannot make it now, so if anybody is looking for an entry at this relatively late stage please let me know. Name can be changed until November 15th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭terminator74

don't suppose anyone has a 10k entry (sold out too)? A friend who is coming to Valencia is looking for one.

Not sure how successful this might be but there's been a lot of people looking for entries here in the discussions
    https://www.strava.com/clubs/VCRunning

Not sure how successful this might be but there's been a lot of people looking for entries here in the discussions
    https://www.strava.com/clubs/VCRunning

Thanks for that Ricky. It won't be a problem shifting the number. There is a whole facebook page dedicated to people looking for entries and the organisers seem fairly proactive in doing exchanges and refunds etc. Just trying to offer it around these parts before letting it go.

Sorry Terminator74, no 10k dorsal here but maybe go look at this facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/269268400396064/

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Scampwolf

Hi, have signed up for this race, will be my first race of any description since an utter meltdown in Barcelona 2015 due to been accidentally tripped and hitting the deck face/hip first :-( . Training gone ok , I think - will be happy with sub 4 but sneaky target is really 3:45 ... but really have no idea how I will go on the day. I believe in the process I have followed but have just realized i may have overlooked something. As it is a December marathon I 'incorrectly' believed that the temperature would be 'cool' and allow optimum conditions for me achieving the target. DOH! looks like 20-21 C , I have never really run in temps like these tbh..what impact do 'relative ' higher temps have. How much should I adjust my expectations by, is there anything I can do to counter apart from proper hydration etc ...Or am I just over analyzing ... thanks

Scampwolf wrote: »
    Hi, have signed up for this race, will be my first race of any description since an utter meltdown in Barcelona 2015 due to been accidentally tripped and hitting the deck face/hip first :-( . Training gone ok , I think - will be happy with sub 4 but sneaky target is really 3:45 ... but really have no idea how I will go on the day. I believe in the process I have followed but have just realized i may have overlooked something. As it is a December marathon I 'incorrectly' believed that the temperature would be 'cool' and allow optimum conditions for me achieving the target. DOH! looks like 20-21 C , I have never really run in temps like these tbh..what impact do 'relative ' higher temps have. How much should I adjust my expectations by, is there anything I can do to counter apart from proper hydration etc ...Or am I just over analyzing ... thanks

Hi Scampwolf,

Best of luck with the target.I wouldn't worry about the temperature, and to be honest, its a variable you cannot control. I wouldn't expect the temperature to be anywhere near 20-21 during the marathon. The race starts at 8:30, not long after sunrise. I would expect temperature in early December to be between 8 and 16 degrees during the race.

If we are unlucky and get a hot day, it could be 20 by your projected finish time, but it certainly won't be that hot during the vast majority of your race.

The three times I have participated in Valencia, the temperature has not been a factor and those events were 2 weeks earlier than this years event.

• Advertisement

Thanks MrM... you make absolute sense... just a bit jittery I suppose, must be pre Taper madness kicking in before the Taper madness!

Am traveling solo, so if anybody is meeting up post race for a race review/beer/burger near the finish ... let me know a venue , a chat is always good after a race!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

I'm giving this a bash. It's been a long year so I don't know how I'll approach it. Have to get a 50 mile ultra out of the way before it, so will see how that goes

So, how are the old marathon boyos feeling with 16 or so days to go? We'll have to start a table soon!!

Bib number, pb, target time.......

As for us 10k types, we can chill mostly. One of my problems is what to do for a few gargles at 9.15 a.m!!

ISOP wrote: »
    I'm giving this a bash. It's been a long year so I don't know how I'll approach it. Have to get a 50 mile ultra out of the way before it, so will see how that goes

That's cutting it fine. 50 miles is when exactly?

Thanks for that Ricky. It won't be a problem shifting the number. There is a whole facebook page dedicated to people looking for entries and the organisers seem fairly proactive in doing exchanges and refunds etc. Just trying to offer it around these parts before letting it go.

Sorry Terminator74, no 10k dorsal here but maybe go look at this facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/269268400396064/

Cheers for this, seems like there's a lot of demand for the 10km.

Itziger wrote: »
    So, how are the old marathon boyos feeling with 16 or so days to go? We'll have to start a table soon!!

Bib number, pb, target time.......

As for us 10k types, we can chill mostly. One of my problems is what to do for a few gargles at 9.15 a.m!!

I'll start the ball rollin' on this ....

tbh a bit unsure how this will go. I was originally training for DCM. Training was going great and then got a stress response in shin around week 11 that had me out for three weeks followed by 2 more weeks of building up the mileage. At that stage decided to switch to Valencia. 3 good weeks of training followed this and did 18 miles of DCM with 15 @ MP. Was quite sore after this and had a some calf tenderness that had me off the road for 7 days. did about 30 miles last week and will have a bit more this week with a final long run on Saturday and then I'll taper proper.

Previous marathon in 2007 was DCM @ 3.18
    BIB 18389
    Target sub 3

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jimcricket

Best of luck lad. Hope it goes well and all to plan

Being out with various running/non running injuries/illness for over 3 years - Was never quick but always 'liked ' running. Have completed 8 marathons down through the years at various paces and enjoyed every one of them apart from the last. Got back on the road for the first time July this year, 3 stone heavier and completed 3 miles 'flat' in 35 minutes... but finished with a smile on my face:) I have slowly but surely built up the mileage... originally also targeted Dublin but 4 weeks out made the call would not be ready and looked for alternative and Val it is. Best call I ever made in my intermittent athletic career.:)
    Have worked relatively 'hard' in the last month, have dropped that 3 stone and am almost at my weight of 10 years ago. Starting to taper now and really looking forward to the race. Have reset all my PBs to 50+ PBs so no matter what, I will PB (once I finish). This will be a celebration race for me ...good to be alive type thing and all that ..... being a long road back but I'm so grateful to be able to run the roads at 7am on a damp Sunday morning....so getting to the start line will be my proudest achievement ...everything else a bonus!

BIB No: 22860
    PB: 03:51 - Dublin 2009
    Last Time: 04:28 - Barcelona 2015
    Target: 03.59 - 50+PB;)

I'm saying now that this is the last marathon I will punish myself in training for so we'll see how that pans out.
    This will be a balls out (not literally) sub 3 attempt.
    Training has been reasonably good. I'm not confident but am optimistic that if everything falls into place on the day I'll be good.

BIB No: 18980
    PB: 03:09 - Dublin 2012
    Last Time: 03:38 - Rotterdam in April (a real horror show)
    Target: 02:59:59.99

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

BIB|Name|PB|Goal
    18389|terminator74|03:18:00|02:59:59
    22860|Scampwolf|03:51:00|03:49:59
    18980|and still ricky villa|03:09:00|02:59:59
    03005|Diablo Verde|03:06:16|02:59:59

I threw all of the information into a table. Hopefully I got all your details right, but you might want to check it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 goodtiming

BIB|Name|PB|Goal
    18389|terminator74|03:18:00|02:59:59
    22860|Scampwolf|03:51:00|03:49:59
    18980|and still ricky villa|03:09:00|02:59:59
    14062|Goodtiming|N/A|04:15:00
    03005|Diablo Verde|03:06:16|02:59:59

It's my first time messing with a table....Hopefully it worked!!!

Anyway, First marathon...Trained for waterford in June only to have it cancelled due to the high temps.
    Training went great until about 3 weeks ago and I picked up a little niggle in my right hip I can't seem to shift.
    I'm a late starter to running at age 46 and the increased mileage recently appears to have been a bit much.

I'm doing Seville 10 weeks later and might try for the 4 hours in that one.

Hey folks, what about the social side of things? (Drinking)

I'll do a bit of research but if that nice spot near the Central Market and the Lonja (Silk Market) is still functioning I'd stay with that. Only problem was it didn't open till 7 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

I'm a bit out of drinking shape but I'll give it my best shot.

Is that the place with all of the craft beers?

I'm a bit out of drinking shape but I'll give it my best shot.

Is that the place with all of the craft beers?

Yeah, Tyris on Tap it's called. As for immediate drinks....... I don't know. Do people want to meet at 1 or so for a couple? I can do a bit of research on places near the finish.

That's cutting it fine. 50 miles is when exactly?
    Tomorrow, ah I'm not racing it, there's a 15 hour cut off, 10,000 foot of climb, I'll head out and enjoy it

Yeah, Tyris on Tap it's called. As for immediate drinks....... I don't know. Do people want to meet at 1 or so for a couple? I can do a bit of research on places near the finish.
    that sounds good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Tomorrow, ah I'm not racing it, there's a 15 hour cut off, 10,000 foot of climb, I'll head out and enjoy it

Best of luck you mad Bast*rd!

Amsterdam, Dublin, a 50miler and Valencia all in 6 weeks - impressive.

that sounds good!

I'd be in anyhow...All going ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

How did the 50 miler go?

• Advertisement

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    How did the 50 miler go?
    Awesome! legs are in bits today, some of the hills were insane, you had to literally climb up some of them with your hands towards the end..

Advertisement