Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

We certainly had an issue with puckouts this year.
    You need to have the short puckout in your locker whether you use it or not. Anytime we used it, your heart would be in your mouth as there appeared to be no strategy whatsoever to work the ball between the lines so our short puckouts were worse than useless and only ended up putting us under needless pressure and a poor clearance under pressure from whichever defender was unfortunate enough to receive them.
    We were definitely the most clueless team in the championship as regards puckout strategy and that is something Sheedy will need to work on urgently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

18 point defeat for clonoulty. Fair reflection on on the standards of our club championship.

https://twitter.com/BrophShane/status/1059487474853036032?s=19

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

C'mon they are the only senior team in the city,best facilities, who are the best hurlers out of 90k going to go to?

They go to the nearest club to them Thats where . Monaleen are senior mungret premier int then you have claughan. Old Christians and st pats in inner city none of are great at moment but are all playing hurling there's no doubt na piarsaigh have a big pick but would it be any different to big urban areas in other cities? Some dublin clubs blackrock in cork? Just can't put it down to numbers alone though obviously it helps. a lot of clubs around the country have huge picks but aren't near as successful as nap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Some Na Piarsaigh players should be playing in Clare according to a local Gaa man I know and he has even said they do deserve success after years of building.Being a middle class area helps hugely too with jobs and colleges so near

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

I'd imagine Barrett will get a lesser charge than his brother:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1106/1009087-barrett-sentencing/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Just shows that all the hurling championships at least need to be changed for good and just shows that what people here have been saying is true. Senior too bloated, intermediate and junior too weak as a result etc etc
    I'd imagine Barrett will get a lesser charge than his brother:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1106/1009087-barrett-sentencing/
    Should this be discussed here? Keeps being brought up why? Its before courts and should be left at that. No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Should this be discussed here? Keeps being brought up why? Its before courts and should be left at that. No?

Why shouldn't it be discussed its in the media

The future of one Tipp's top hurlers should not be discussed on a thread about Tipperary hurling...

Come again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Think you're mixing this up with the trial up north!

It's awaiting sentence, therefore I don't see why it shouldn't be discussed

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭lonestar 74

Any thoughts on the top 30 countyTipp hurlers from the last 30 years. There can't be too many arguments with Nicky English getting the number 1 spot. Is there anyone left out or the position of the rest of the selection that could be changed?

• Advertisement

Any thoughts on the top 30 countyTipp hurlers from the last 30 years. There can't be too many arguments with Nicky English getting the number 1 spot. Is there anyone left out or the position of the rest of the selection that could be changed?
    What list is this? Who made the list up and who's on it?
    Havent seen it. Cant disagree with Nicky as number one anyway

What list is this? Who made the list up and who's on it?
    Havent seen it. Cant disagree with Nicky as number one anyway

What were the criteria for the selection committee....?

I’d have Eoin Kelly at 1 myself

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Eireog1

where is the list?

Eireog1 wrote: »
    where is the list?

Nationalist and Tipp Star.

The panel of judges tasked picking the best 25 hurlers ( I said 30 my mistake) from the last 30 years were Pat Carey, John Costigan, Michael and Noel Dundon, JJ Kennedy, Seamus J King, Jeddy Walsh and Eamonn Wynne. There is a full run down of the 25 in a hurling special feature in The Tipp Star and I presume The Nationalist and Nenagh Guardian. I personally would have extended to the top 30. In my view a glaring omission is the youngest of the Bonnars -Conal,
    who I think was the most natural hurler of the 3.

digzy wrote: »
    I’d have Eoin Kelly at 1 myself

Made a pretty poor Tipp team look relatively adequate at times. Finest hurler i ever did see don the blue and gold

Congratulations to Thurles CBS on winning the final of the Dean Ryan Cup following their hard fought and well deserved victory in tough conditions.https://www.tipperarylive.ie/news/sport/346999/gritty-thurles-cbs-earn-five-point-dean-ryan-cup-final-win-over-de-la-salle.html

• Advertisement

Congratulations to Thurles CBS on winning the final of the Dean Ryan Cup following their hard fought and well deserved victory in tough conditions.https://www.tipperarylive.ie/news/sport/346999/gritty-thurles-cbs-earn-five-point-dean-ryan-cup-final-win-over-de-la-salle.html

Tipp schools done very well in the Harty last week too. Thurles, Nenagh and Templemore all registered wins. Thurles by 22 points v Castletroy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

No doubt nicky English was a very good hurler and got some punishment in his time. His free taking wasn't great. He halfed the hurley hitting the ball.

Nenagh and Our Lady's had to win their games as they both lost their first one. Thurles are in a great position
    to to get out of their group. Having a number of last years country minor panel in their team as well as a few more handy hurlers hopefully they'll go a long way in the Harty Cup.

Liam Sheedy's new-look Tipperary senior hurling squad will make their competitive debut on Friday, December 14th when the Premier County take on All-Ireland champions Limerick at the Gaelic Grounds in the Munster Hurling League. And, the Tipperary jersey will sport a new sponsor in time for the 2019 season - the County Board have announced a sponsorship deal with Teneo

Liam Sheedy and his management team, which features Tommy Dunne and Darragh Egan, have have named the following pre-season Tipperary senior hurling training squad: Cathal Barrett (Holycross-Ballycahill), James Barry (Upperchurch-Drombane), Michael Breen (Ballina), Ger Browne (Knockavilla-Donaskeigh Kickhams), Robert Byrne (Portroe), Paddy Cadell (JK Bracken's), Jerome Cahill (Kilruane MacDonagh's), Séamus Callanan (Drom & Inch), Willie Connors (Kiladangan), Cian Darcy (Kilruane MacDonagh's), Colin English (Fr Sheehy's), Alan Flynn (Kiladangan), Jason Forde (Silvermines), Tom Fox (Éire Óg Annacarty-Donohill), Conor Hammersley (Clonoulty-Rossmore), Barry Heffernan (Nenagh Éire Óg), Barry Hogan (Kiladangan), Brian Hogan (Lorrha-Dorrha), Mark Kehoe (Kilsheelan-Kilcash), Séamus Kennedy (St Mary’s Clonmel), Brendan Maher (Borris-Ileigh), Donagh Maher (Burgess), Pádraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields), Patrick Maher (Lorrha-Dorrha), Ronan Maher (Thurles Sarsfields), Mark McCarthy (Toomevara), Dan McCormack (Borris-Ileigh), Brian McGrath (Loughmore-Castleiney), John McGrath (Loughmore-Castleiney), Noel McGrath (Loughmore-Castleiney), Jamie Moloney (Drom & Inch), Jake Morris (Nenagh Éire Óg), Sean O’Brien (Newport), Joe O'Dwyer (Killenaule), John O'Dwyer (Killenaule), Killian O'Dwyer (Killenaule), Niall O’Meara (Kilruane MacDonagh's), Dillon Quirke (Clonoulty-Rossmore), Jason Ryan (Toomevara) & David Sweeney (Kiladangan).

Nenagh and Our Lady's had to win their games as they both lost their first one. Thurles are in a great position
    to to get out of their group. Having a number of last years country minor panel in their team as well as a few more handy hurlers hopefully they'll go a long way in the Harty Cup.

Schools hurling is so important for development. Look at Ardscoil ris in Limerick, 5 Harty cup wins in 8 years, plenty of their current panel went through that school. Thurles are generally very competitive, would be nice to see a few of the other big schools in the county consistently challenge.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Great to see a few new faces in the squad hopefully they can take their chance. Also great to see Cathal back in the fold think he'll have a big year ahead. Playing hurling in December though isn't good.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

What do Tipp fans think of Cathay Barrett in the squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

sasta le wrote: »

Am ok with it. But the ice is thin.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Am ok with it. But the ice is thin.

Talking to people he has gotten away with a lot of stuff in the past over being a hurler shame a good player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I'd hope Sheedy has had a word and tightened the leash on him. If he steps out of line once more i'd be fairly sure he's done.
    And i'd hope the whole panel has been told to cop themselves on and that **** that went on in the past isn't acceptable. Some of the stories about the Tipp hurlers are an embarrassment and the U21s last year showed that it's endemic

Will he play even if found guilty of the 2 cases

• Advertisement

Of course, he'll play. These are minor infractions that the law of the land deals with. Not up to anyone else. He hasn't killed anyone or changed someone's life forever. He's young and stupid and making mistakes. But I'd doubt any more negative attention will be welcomed.

Of course, he'll play. He won't see any jail time or face any serious consequences. The offences are on the lower order of the scale.

Barrett needs to concentrate on his life and get away from juvenile nonsense.

Drink driving and assault id class as serious but he will prob get away with it

Drink driving and assault id class as serious but he will prob get away with it

There are scales to any case. You can't just label a case with a few words. You clearly don't know the ins and outs of both cases.

They're not serious cases. One of the cases has already been dealt with. He got into a car and put his key in. He then fell asleep at the wheel. I don't think he even moved the car. I'm not condoning it. It's pathetic.

If the cases were that serious you'd already know the outcome rather than asking if they've been dealt with.

In the other case of assault - it's his brother who was the main perpetrator. His brother got a suspended sentence of a few months - on condition of good behavior for two years. Barrett was holding the gentleman while his brother assaulted the gentleman. Cathal wasn't present in court. And the whole thing was so serious that the judge had okayed him not being present for this oh so serious assault. He is being sentenced in December. He'll be fined and that will be it I'd imagine.

These cases would get no attention if it wasn't Barrett.

Barrett is not getting away with anything. The cases are being dealt with. And they're relatively minor. They're not nice. They're pathetic. And Barrett has damaged his name. But it is all very recoverable from.

Lots of guys are doing worse things on the field of play. Like trying to blind someone.

Think there’s 2 sides to it.

1. Guys a hurler not a choirboy. Our concern (as gaa fans) should start and stop as a hurler. He’s an amateur sportsman who wears the jersey with gusto

2. He’s representing his county. It sends out a poor message to fans/ colleagues especially kids that you can act the boIIox and get away with it.
    There’s none of this nonsense ( that we know of) with our rivals.

I’d be leaning towards the first position. I’ve a feeling if we go and have a great season this stuff will be forgotten, but if he doesn’t perform it’ll be
    ‘A manifestation of the poor attitude of the players....they’re out of control ‘

There are scales to any case. You can't just label a case with a few words. You clearly don't know the ins and outs of both cases.

They're not serious cases. One of the cases has already been dealt with. He got into a car and put his key in. He then fell asleep at the wheel. I don't think he even moved the car. I'm not condoning it. It's pathetic.

If the cases were that serious you'd already know the outcome rather than asking if they've been dealt with.

In the other case of assault - it's his brother who was the main perpetrator. His brother got a suspended sentence of a few months - on condition of good behavior for two years. Barrett was holding the gentleman while his brother assaulted the gentleman. Cathal wasn't present in court. And the whole thing was so serious that the judge had okayed him not being present for this oh so serious assault. He is being sentenced in December. He'll be fined and that will be it I'd imagine.

These cases would get no attention if it wasn't Barrett.

Barrett is not getting away with anything. The cases are being dealt with. And they're relatively minor. They're not nice. They're pathetic. And Barrett has damaged his name. But it is all very recoverable from.

Lots of guys are doing worse things on the field of play. Like trying to blind someone.

Re the car, I think he’d started the car, drove a bit, got bogged down in the snow, fell asleep.....then over come the cops when they see a car in the middle of the street

Don’t think it’d be an issue if he was asleep in a parked up car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

Re the car, I think he’d started the car, drove a bit, got bogged down in the snow, fell asleep.....then over come the cops when they see a car in the middle of the street

Don’t think it’d be an issue if he was asleep in a parked up car

No, once your behind the wheel it doesn't matter, parked or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

I thought John Meagher would get a recall from Sheedy, had a very good year for Loughmore.

VonZan wrote: »

Is there not something to do with key being in the ignition? Think that was the case with Barrett

Is there not something to do with key being in the ignition? Think that was the case with Barrett

'The court heard today how a witness made a call to the garda station in Thurles before 7am on March 3 last after he saw two men "who looked like they were dead" in a car, which was on the road at O'Donovan Rossa Street.

Garda David Carey was in the patrol car which went to investigate the report and told the court that, on arrival at the scene, he saw a car "out on the road," with tyre tracks in the snow leading from a parking space to the rear of the vehicle.

There were two people in the vehicle and he knocked on the driver's side window and the person looked up and put on his seat belt and rolled down the window. The keys were in the ignition. This person gave his name as Cathal Barrett from Holycross.'

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    I thought John Meagher would get a recall from Sheedy, had a very good year for Loughmore.

Isn't he with the footballers now?

Surprised Tommy Heffernan got in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

OAOB wrote: »
    I'd hope Sheedy has had a word and tightened the leash on him. If he steps out of line once more i'd be fairly sure he's done.
    And i'd hope the whole panel has been told to cop themselves on and that **** that went on in the past isn't acceptable. Some of the stories about the Tipp hurlers are an embarrassment and the U21s last year showed that it's endemic
    What did the 21,s do?

Good to see a number of the successful All Ireland winning team being brought in, if anything it'll help freshen up the the panel. Hopefully they will progress in their development and take a step in the right direction. A man that I'm surprised isn't on the panel is John Magher from Loughmore. He played well in a number of games throughout the championship at wing back. He has a forceful style of play bursting out with the ball. Hopefully he'll get a chance Iater on in the year. He was outstanding at full back for the minor footballers on their march to AIl Ireland glory in 2011. He had a number of health issues in the following years. He seems to be ok again.

Good to see a number of the successful All Ireland winning team being brought in, if anything it'll help freshen up the the panel. Hopefully they will progress in their development and take a step in the right direction. A man that I'm surprised isn't on the panel is John Magher from Loughmore. He played well in a number of games throughout the championship at wing back. He has a forceful style of play bursting out with the ball. Hopefully he'll get a chance Iater on in the year. He was outstanding at full back for the minor footballers on their march to AIl Ireland glory in 2011. He had a number of health issues in the following years. He seems to be ok again.

What was Darren Gleeson's role with Antrim last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Tally Wager

Rasputin11 wrote: »

John committed to Football for 2019 and done so early in the Summer . He probably got the call but stood by his word , fair play to him if it's the case !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Tipperary Hurlers and Footballers are to get a main new sponsor from the 1st January next year.

The new sponsor is a company called Teneo a company founded by Declan Kelly a brother of Alan Kelly T.D. He is from Portroe and a long time friend of Liam Sheedy who is also from Portroe.

https://www.teneoholdings.com/about

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

VonZan wrote: »

Your right but I think the fact the car was moved caught peoples attention. Had he not moved from his parking spot id imagine no one would have been the wiser.

Liam Sheedy's new-look Tipperary senior hurling squad will make their competitive debut on Friday, December 14th when the Premier County take on All-Ireland champions Limerick at the Gaelic Grounds in the Munster Hurling League. And, the Tipperary jersey will sport a new sponsor in time for the 2019 season - the County Board have announced a sponsorship deal with Teneo

Liam Sheedy and his management team, which features Tommy Dunne and Darragh Egan, have have named the following pre-season Tipperary senior hurling training squad: Cathal Barrett (Holycross-Ballycahill), James Barry (Upperchurch-Drombane), Michael Breen (Ballina), Ger Browne (Knockavilla-Donaskeigh Kickhams), Robert Byrne (Portroe), Paddy Cadell (JK Bracken's), Jerome Cahill (Kilruane MacDonagh's), Séamus Callanan (Drom & Inch), Willie Connors (Kiladangan), Cian Darcy (Kilruane MacDonagh's), Colin English (Fr Sheehy's), Alan Flynn (Kiladangan), Jason Forde (Silvermines), Tom Fox (Éire Óg Annacarty-Donohill), Conor Hammersley (Clonoulty-Rossmore), Barry Heffernan (Nenagh Éire Óg), Barry Hogan (Kiladangan), Brian Hogan (Lorrha-Dorrha), Mark Kehoe (Kilsheelan-Kilcash), Séamus Kennedy (St Mary’s Clonmel), Brendan Maher (Borris-Ileigh), Donagh Maher (Burgess), Pádraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields), Patrick Maher (Lorrha-Dorrha), Ronan Maher (Thurles Sarsfields), Mark McCarthy (Toomevara), Dan McCormack (Borris-Ileigh), Brian McGrath (Loughmore-Castleiney), John McGrath (Loughmore-Castleiney), Noel McGrath (Loughmore-Castleiney), Jamie Moloney (Drom & Inch), Jake Morris (Nenagh Éire Óg), Sean O’Brien (Newport), Joe O'Dwyer (Killenaule), John O'Dwyer (Killenaule), Killian O'Dwyer (Killenaule), Niall O’Meara (Kilruane MacDonagh's), Dillon Quirke (Clonoulty-Rossmore), Jason Ryan (Toomevara) & David Sweeney (Kiladangan).

Josh Keane would be a good poach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭shmeee

Committed back to the footballers already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Tally Wager

:( !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement