Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wonderboy

Options
  • 24-10-2018 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

I apologise if this is not the right place to ask .

There was a arcade game years back called Wonderboy and I am wondering if any of you experienced gamers know if this is available on any of the gaming consoles these days ? I’m sorry I am clueless when it comes to consoles and gaming but I would LOVE to get my hands on this game !

Thank you all in advance ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's on the PS4 if you search for the arcade archives games on the digital store.

It's also on the Wii but Nintendo recently closed the shop so you can't buy it anymore.

Also a remake on PC for steam called wonderboy returns

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Thank you soooooooooo much ! I shall get my kids to try and download it for me , I’m sure they will be none to happy their mother will be taking over their play station for the foreseeable;)
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's on the PS4 if you search for the arcade archives games on the digital store.

It's also on the Wii but Nintendo recently closed the shop so you can't buy it anymore.

Also a remake on PC for steam called wonderboy returns

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have fun. The game is incredibly tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Glebee

I played through this recently. Lovely little game. im sure is on PS4 as well

Wonderboy:The Dragons Trap.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/543260/Wonder_Boy_The_Dragons_Trap/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

the music, the controls etc for it's era are perfection. I was barred from the local arcade from playing ind KiKiKaiKai .. too long for 10p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Great game; used to love playing it on the C64. The music in that video takes me right back edd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Have fun. The game is incredibly tough!

After playing the c64 version since a kid I can tell you that the master system version feels like a walk in the park in comparison. Mind you I only played the first level or 2.

The c64 version is really challenging and my father went through about 3 or 4 joysticks back in the 80s to complete it.
    This was before we got the trusty zipstick which lasted for years.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Loved that game on the C64. One of the chaps on here is really good at it, remember seeing him play it at one of cidey's beers meet ups many moons ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭wijam

loved that game back in the day and in work we recently moved into a new office and they have an old school arcade machine with an emulator inside and Wonderboy is one of the games, having a go at it every few days

But bloody hell, and hands and arms hurt after about 10 minutes playing, and used to sit on the games for hours back in the day

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Wow - never knew that existed Cidey !

I loved wonderboy in the arcade, and one of my all time favs was Wonderboy in Monsterland, which I still have not managed to finish even on my Cab

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I was playing Wonderboy III The Dragons trap via a mastersystem converter on the megadrive there yesterday ,.
    I'd accidentally left it set to Japanese , normally that either makes no difference on mastersystem games or occasionally stops it running .
    Anyway I got a totally different title screen
    464843.png
    So oddly enough theres no mention of wonderboy at all , afaik in Japan the WB games are based around the monster world games , which makes sense as the first game has very little to do with the subsequent ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

For anyone interested, this is a good podcast comparing arcade versions of games with their console ports.
    https://arcadeperfectau.podbean.com

This week was Wonderboy coincidently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I loved Wonderboy back in the day. Spent a fortune playing it in the arcade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

The NES version (Adventure Island) is great. Did not know it was on C64. Wonderboy in Monsterworld on the Megadrive is incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I still regularly play Wonderboy on the arcade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Glebee

Version of Wonderboy on mame32.exe is excellent

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Glebee wrote: »
    Version of Wonderboy on mame32.exe is excellent

That would be the arcade original.

The NES version (Adventure Island) is great. Did not know it was on C64. Wonderboy in Monsterworld on the Megadrive is incredible

Is that the one that got a translation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is that the one that got a translation?

The Megadrive one? Im pretty sure it was released in Europe/US/Japan. My copy is in English.

Advertisement